The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-02-2017, 06:02 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Look, she just really wanted to jump Riker's bones, just like the rest of us.
I'm sure Riker feels the same way. (Please refer to boyonion's rating of "Kirk-like".)
Old 02-05-2017, 08:47 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Riker is a really good looking man, especially in the early seasons:

Though by season 7 he started to lose some of that youthful exuberance:

Old 02-05-2017, 09:55 PM
Out Of Warranty

I once catched the last 10 minutes of Yesterday's Enterprise back in 2000 or so and I thought it was good then, but I just watched it in its enterity yesterday and it still blew me away. Great stuff.

Two things, though... One, I was greatly amused by the wall of text that was the writer's credits. And I wish they had excised Tasha's romantic subplot - so far romance appears to be the only subplot these writers can think up for the female members of the crew...

By the way, the third season is superb so far. Even the clunkers (hello, space Irish terrorists!) are up there with some of the best season Two episodes. And the uniforms are soooo much better.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:29 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
clunkers (hello, space Irish terrorists!)
Really? The High Ground? Because I thought that episode was handled a lot more realistically than other offerings. It's not didactic; the characters on both sides of the conflict are well-written with legitimate grievances. There's no giant computer to blow up or godlike being to hoodwink, and no easy answers.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:59 AM
Out Of Warranty

My problem with "The High Ground" is that we are supposed to empathize with Mr Space Terrorist With A Suspiciously Irish Surname, but they don't give us a reason to care. All we know about him as that he can draw and he can kill, but we never get to know anything about their cause or, heck, about any other member of the cell, for that matter. So it's hard to get into the "both sides are wrong" mindset when the only character from the other side is an almost flat caricature. It's not a Bad Episode, per se, but it is definitively very shallow compared to all the others in Season 3 so far.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:32 AM
Mystery Contraption

Plus they were calling themselves terrorists and also exploding people at random.

Kind... kind of hard to find that very sympathetic. It's impolite behaviour.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Cobra and Phases Group

Watched Chaos On The Bridge, it was a very entertaining look at the disaster the The Next Generation very nearly was, but I wish it had gone into more detail a couple of times. Like, which episodes did Gene's lawyer end up rewriting? I'd love to know.

Also, I wanted more of Shatner and Frakes because it looked like a very amusing conversation that we only saw a few seconds of. "OH, BILL!"
Old 02-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Cobra and Phases Group

I am also watching the Next Gen Blu-Rays, which I have bought all of in a box. I don't think I've seen some of these episodes in nearly twenty years, good God.

The creepy New Age sex planet in Justice has Roddenberry all over it, doesn't it? It's basically his dream.

There's that story they tell in the documentary about the episode where Picard goes to Risa, and Gene just wanted the writer to include loads of scenes of background extras fondling each other or just openly fucking while the story was going on. That basically is this episode.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:25 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheeel View Post
There's that story they tell in the documentary about the episode where Picard goes to Risa, and Gene just wanted the writer to include loads
Old 02-22-2017, 05:11 AM
For blood and gold

So I just discovered the Women at Warp podcast, which is awesome.

One of their members just used a method of analyzing couple discourse developed by psychologists to examine the relationship of Miles O'Brien and Keiko Ishikawa - apparently a lot of people think that Keiko is horrible, especially to Miles.

She found that, while their relationship showed an above average (but still under the divorce-predicting level) amount of contempt and criticism (on Keiko's side) and defensiveness (on O'Brien's) side, that was made up for an off-the-charts amount of affection on both sides.

I never realized that some people had such Keiko hate. While I think she was certainly underdeveloped and that made some of her interactions feel unearned, I think it was also pretty clear that her and Miles have the strongest, longest lasting relationship in the TV Trek world.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:36 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
So I just discovered the Women at Warp podcast, which is awesome.
Man, I wish the hundreds of Star Trek books I read as a kid hadn't all blended together in my head, because I'd be all over this podcast otherwise.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:12 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Man, I wish the hundreds of Star Trek books I read as a kid hadn't all blended together in my head, because I'd be all over this podcast otherwise.
???

The book club is only like one out of every 10 episodes.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:25 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Oh, I guess I misunderstood. A brief glance at the front page showed fully half of the articles being about books, and the About blurb on the bottom left made specific mention of them.

Anyway, I have important news: Stellaris’ New Horizons mod is the best Star Trek game.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:08 AM
120 Days

So DS9

Anyone think it's weird that neither Kira nor Garak were sore at Damar in the season 7 arc?
Old 02-23-2017, 10:24 AM
Your life is forfeit

I just watched the one where Barclay turns into HAL-9000 and it was p. good.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
I remember PUA Barclay putting the moves on Troi was a hoot
Old 02-23-2017, 11:32 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
I remember PUA Barclay putting the moves on Troi was a hoot
The Riker payoff to that was great.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
So DS9

Anyone think it's weird that neither Kira nor Garak were sore at Damar in the season 7 arc?
It used to seem weird to me, but then I realized that it would only cause problems if they castigated the man who could help them the most.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:22 PM
who's she

Quote:
I like that episode. It's not perfect(de-smartifying a character is a pretty terrible way to return to the status quo, for one thing) but as usual I identify with Frankenstein's Monster when the villagers come with pitchforks, and it's nice when the story ends with the monster vindicated.

Come to think of it, this is the kind of story they should have been doing with Wesley all along. This could have been the plot of Where No One Has Gone Before and the basis of all the kid genius stuff that came after. But, oh well.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Your life is forfeit

They at least had a better excuse for Barclay turning into a normal guy again than Geordi's reversion from being a neon lizardman in the previous episode: It was meant as a temporary intelligence boost, and the floating cosmic head dude surgically removed Barclay from his auxiliary brain.

The only problem with episodes like that, as ever, is that the temporary super-geniuses always make tweaks to the Enterprise that should change the series' technological status quo but somehow... don't? Like, why did the Enterprise not have triple shields from that point on?
Old 02-23-2017, 04:29 PM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
So DS9

They were, though. Garak was far too pragmatic to let it get in the way, though I expect he would have put a knife in Damar's throat the instant it looked like he would have to. Kira, though, definitely let a bit of her anger through now and then.

"Yeah Damar, what kind of people would do such a thing?"

There might have been a reasoning to her saying that, but I think there was certainly a bit of anger as well. Fortunately it was exactly what Damar needed to hear at that moment. As I mentioned back when I finished my re-watch of DS9, I really liked Damar's growth at the very end of the series.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:50 PM
120 Days

I love Damar's arc. Just feels weird on my latest rewatch.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
They at least had a better excuse for Barclay turning into a normal guy again than Geordi's reversion from being a neon lizardman in the previous episode: It was meant as a temporary intelligence boost, and the floating cosmic head dude surgically removed Barclay from his auxiliary brain.

The only problem with episodes like that, as ever, is that the temporary super-geniuses always make tweaks to the Enterprise that should change the series' technological status quo but somehow... don't? Like, why did the Enterprise not have triple shields from that point on?
Because he didn't include a manual or leave any comments at all in his code, so the first time something went wrong nobody could work out how to fix it and just sighed and restored factory settings.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:47 AM
Mystery Contraption

Oh, right, I was watching this too;

So The Practical Joker is, after several false-starts with the same basic idea, the first appearance of something near and dear to the very fabric of what makes Star Trek work.

But first, the Enterprise is out in space looking at rocks. And then Romulans are around looking at those same rocks and Kirk orders a retreat, hiding in a big ol' sparkley space-hole. And, wouldn't you know, it's a space-hole whose sparkles cause the Enterprise to come to life! And develop a personality of its own!

Also, and more importantly to the episode, it revealed that the Enterprise is secretly a huge jackass!

The Enterprise' pranks start off awesome (writing Kirk is a Jerk on people's laundry, throwing pies) then become the sort of thing that the cast finds funnier than I do (shoe-polish on a microscope) and then just makes a gradual shift to actually lethal (replacing oxygen with nitrous oxide). Around this time, Bones, Sulu and Uhura decide to use the ships brand new Hologram Deck!

And as soon as they do, the very first appearance of the Holodeck in this franchises history, it immediately tries to kill them!

Mmmmmmm. Exquisite!

Anyway, Kirks had enough of this baloney, so he tricks the Enterprise to fly back through the sparkles that brought it to life and that kills it again. Phew. Also, the Romulans that wound up causing the whole mess also flew through it and now THEYRE getting pies thrown at them.

Here we go again! 🙄
Old 02-25-2017, 10:32 AM
120 Days

Garak's encounter with Salome Jens at end of season 4. Unreal. Andrew Robinson is phenominal.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
Huh, you'd think they wouldn't need insurance in a post-finance society
Old 02-27-2017, 01:12 PM

Old 03-02-2017, 08:32 AM
120 Days

Do you think it's weird that Odo - a genderless goo ball is male, and Salome Jens is female. Not only that - but straight?

Now - I think it's ok in the sense that Odo just emulated Dr Mora, and has shown a lack of imagination. Salome Jens (and the rest of the Great Link changelings) are trying to appeal to him to bring him back. OK FINE

But then Laas is also a dude.

Like I know the real answer - but they boned the whole thing.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:15 PM
120 Days

"With men like you on our side, how could we fail?"

❤ Damar
Old 03-05-2017, 10:46 PM
Just bear with me

Yeah, Damar gets a lot more interesting toward the end of the series.

Weyoun 8: "You find the death of my predecessor terribly amusing, don't you?"
Damar: "Oh, no! You misjudge me! I miss him terribly! A toast... to Weyoun 7!"
Weyoun 8: "Have you gotten any more information out of the prisoners?"
Damar: "No. Maybe you should talk to Worf* again!"

* Worf killed the previous Weyoun

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher