The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-14-2017, 06:03 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
In Booby Trap the Enterprise calls for a trap that a sneaky alien race hid into the bits and pieces of their own exploded planet and its up to Geordi to figure out some way to escape it by using the Holodeck to recreate the designer of the ships engines and bounce ideas off her. I don't have the raw data on hand, but I think that with this episode the instances of someone falling in love with the Holodeck is tied with instances of the Holodeck trying to kill everyone.
LTTP, but I watched this today and it totally counts as an instance of both - the holodeck would have killed everyone if they have handed it the controls to the Enterprise. Sneaky, that holodeck, finding new ways to try to trick our heroes!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Lichotaur

In case anyone was looking to pick up Deep Space 9 on DVD, they're re-releasing it as a new set on February 7th.

Amazon currently has it listed as $95.99.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:24 PM
the :motion: stands

Alas, it will likely never get a Blu-Ray remaster.

Also, it'd been nice if they had put the right Sisko on the first few season covers.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:48 AM
Mystery Contraption

Well, The Pirates of Orion was a fat lot of nothing. Spock comes down with a disease fatal to Vulcans and no one else, and the only ship close enough to deliver the cure gets ransacked by space pirates (which kept distracting me while I tried to figure out which Marvel character they looked like). Kirk and the Pirate Captain then barter for it, the captain tries to kill everyone in order to save face and Kirk points out that the Enterprise is pretty famous so letting it and it's chief officer die for spite would make them look bad to their government. Which works because they're socially conscious Pirates, I guess.

Kirk actually gave the impression he was trying to act in this episode though. That's a first for TAS.

Bem is another episode that manages to just straddle the line between being Perfectly Good, but not engaging. The Enterprise is called in to investigate a new tribe of lizard men on some dumb planet and they're joined by a special observer named Bem from an alien race hithertoo unmentioned. Bem is kind of aloof and not very helpful. Also he's secretly three tiny aliens wearing a dude-sized costume. One of whom is just a pair of legs. Anyway, Bem constantly makes trouble for the landing party because he's actually been sent in to monitor Kirk for some dumb reason instead of the snake men and eventually they get captured. The Snake People's God (a giant sparkle-monster) shows up, sighs, and tells them all to get lost it's doing important work here. Bem realizes that God is ticked off at him specifically and offers to kill himself out of respect, and God says "What? No. Just leave. What is wrong with you?" And that's that.

And Kirk and Spock learn an important lesson about making sure that somebody isn't just a pair of pants before letting them off a spaceship.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:14 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I tried to figure out which Marvel character they looked like
Old 01-20-2017, 10:24 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

He originally could only melt Iron?

That's a WILDLY specific power. Did it cover Iron-like alloys?
Old 01-20-2017, 01:26 PM
Are You Sure About That?

That just screams early Iron Man villain than anything else.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
That just screams early Iron Man villain than anything else.
I think he fought Ant Man, actually...

And also, wow, that's not who I was thinking of (60s Mandarin sprung immediately to mind) but damned if it's not Bang-on.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:56 AM
Out Of Warranty

Yesterday day was getting gloom by the hour and promised to end in a very ow note.

Thankfully I decided to close the day by watching Deja Q and, well, Q celebrating by leading a mariachi band is just what the doctor had ordered.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Oily Butt Thing

The usual choice is Qpid, but Deja Q is my favorite Q episode. I love Brent Spiner and John Delancie strolling around trying to underplay each other.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:31 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I'd agree with you if it wasn't for Worf's performance in Qpid.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Worf also has the best punch line in Deja Q, though: "Die."
Old 02-01-2017, 02:56 PM
Your life is forfeit

I had never seen "First Contact" (the episode, not the movie) before, but wow, it was really great! Totally different approach to Trek, and quite refreshing.

(Bebe Neuwirth's role was friggin' weird, though.)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:44 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Riker's reaction to it is amazing too. Really authentic looking amusement.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
That one is even better than, "I am not a merry man."
Old 02-01-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
I had never seen "First Contact" (the episode, not the movie) before, but wow, it was really great! Totally different approach to Trek, and quite refreshing.

I liked this episode as a "this is why we have the Prime Directive" kind of episode. But it strikes me as really odd that Riker of all people is going to be this super spy assimilating in deep cover into a completely alien society. Doesn't quite seem to match his skill set or pay grade.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Jinxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I liked this episode as a "this is why we have the Prime Directive" kind of episode. But it strikes me as really odd that Riker of all people is going to be this super spy assimilating in deep cover into a completely alien society. Doesn't quite seem to match his skill set or pay grade.
Maybe so, but then again he did get tapped for the same kind of job again later in Frame of Mind (or at least he thought he did?), so maybe Riker just has a hidden "anthropology spy" line in his resume somewhere.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:21 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Riker really is the only person in the main cast who fits for that sort of thing, unfortunately. Picard needs to be the guy who makes the tough decisions for good drama, Worf is a Klingon and also couldn't act to save his life, Data is an android, and Geordi is blind. Dr. Crusher is too boring. Deanna could work too, and she ended up playing a similar role in that Romulan episode. She and Riker also teamed up for a similar mission with the bronze age Vulcan planet.

I don't buy Riker in some of the roles he's expected to perform as a Starfleet XO, but he's the Kirk-like Action Guy so these episodes always seem kind of reserved for him since he doesn't exactly have even a loose character arc on which to base an entire episode like Picard, Worf, or Data.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:35 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
Riker really is the only person in the main cast who fits for that sort of thing, unfortunately. Picard needs to be the guy who makes the tough decisions for good drama, Worf is a Klingon and also couldn't act to save his life, Data is an android, and Geordi is blind. Dr. Crusher is too boring. Deanna could work too, and she ended up playing a similar role in that Romulan episode. She and Riker also teamed up for a similar mission with the bronze age Vulcan planet.

I don't buy Riker in some of the roles he's expected to perform as a Starfleet XO, but he's the Kirk-like Action Guy so these episodes always seem kind of reserved for him since he doesn't exactly have even a loose character arc on which to base an entire episode like Picard, Worf, or Data.
But he plays the trombone!!
Old 02-02-2017, 06:52 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Data is an android
This is where I point out that they sent him on that pre-first-contact observation mission in Insurrection for god alone knows what reason (laziness on the part of the rest of the mission staff is my guess.) Like, if anyone had to do any blending in / scouting....
Old 02-02-2017, 06:53 AM
McBear

They had magic invisibility suits.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:01 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirMcDohl View Post
They had magic invisibility suits.
Which worked for all of three minutes if memory serves.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:34 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Look, she just really wanted to jump Riker's bones, just like the rest of us.

(IIRC, she was working next door on Cheers at the time, and they wrote her in because she wanted to be on an episode.)

Quote:
Doesn't quite seem to match his skill set
Look, she just really wanted to jump Riker's bones, just like the rest of us.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:59 AM
120 Days

Please tell me there is an EU novel where Lilith and capt Crane are reunited!
Old 02-02-2017, 08:02 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
I actually don't think there is - the only novel I can remember Frasier's character showing up again was "Ship of the Line" (a decent enough story, although nothing special - it was all about the period between Generations and First Contact.)
Old 02-02-2017, 08:07 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
I actually don't think there is - the only novel I can remember Frasier's character showing up again was "Ship of the Line" (a decent enough story, although nothing special - it was all about the period between Generations and First Contact.)
I read/have that one! Very dramatic cover with an impossibly handsome Kelsey Grammar. The book was... fine.

ETA: IIRC, it was a mish-mash of picked up dangling TNG plot threads, incorporating post-Dyson sphere Scotty and Gul Madred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Be the Star Trek fan-fiction you wish to see in the world.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:15 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I read/have that one! Very dramatic cover with an impossibly handsome Kelsey Grammar. The book was... fine.

ETA: IIRC, it was a mish-mash of picked up dangling TNG plot threads, incorporating post-Dyson sphere Scotty and Gul Madred.
Yeah, I think they knew they could sell it just by putting Grammer on the cover, so they didn't bother with much inside the book.

I'm surprised Peter David didn't pick up the character for the New Frontier books, as that's where all of the misfit toy minor characters of that era (Shelby, Selar, etc.) wound up.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:19 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
The episode made it clear that he was strictly there to briefly check in on some deep cover agents and get the OK for moving forward with first contact. Given his supervisory role for Away Teams, this actually makes pretty good sense to me.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
But he plays the trombone!!
Also, he sometimes fights with his dad in a sport that involves the ceremonial invocation of Dirty Pair references.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:26 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Riker's job is basically to do all the admin crap that Picard doesn't want to deal with (as Lower Decks makes explicit).

One sympathies.

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher