The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-13-2016, 01:19 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
"Wagon train to the lizard orgy"
It's more of a salamander axlotl orgy.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:00 PM
McBear

Production numbers with Voyager started with 801.

It was really Season 8 of TNG, which was already really long in the tooth.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:34 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Phase variance
quantum inversion
Old 12-13-2016, 07:20 PM
Your life is forfeit

Yo, "Sarek" was super good.

Actually, I haven't seen a single mediocre episode so far in Season Three of TNG. What dark magicks be this?
Old 12-13-2016, 08:25 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
quantum inversion
Subspace anomaly
Old 12-13-2016, 10:01 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Subspace anomaly
tetryon emission
Old 12-14-2016, 02:28 AM
Jinxed

Voyager did at least have Satan's Robot (naturally):
Old 12-14-2016, 05:33 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
tetryon emission
Tachyon particles
Old 12-14-2016, 01:18 PM
McBear

Multi-spectral
Old 12-14-2016, 01:19 PM
McBear

Interferometrics

To be fair, that one did start on TNG
Old 12-14-2016, 01:39 PM
120 Days

I like that there is a constant fix of "inverse tachyon pulse from the dish"
Old 12-15-2016, 12:30 AM

Discovery has its lead: Sonequa Martin-Green

Old 12-15-2016, 05:06 AM
Your life is forfeit

Can't wait for all the screaming shitbabies to complain about SJW agendas with this one, too. Equality and progressivism in Star Trek should be heard, not seen!

Today's exercise session episode is "The Best of Both Worlds, Pt. I." Needless to say, I'm hyped.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:59 AM
Oily Butt Thing

for the authentic best of both worlds experience you need to then wait about 12 weeks until you watch part two.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:15 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

And have all your friends tell you that their uncle knows someone who works on the show and that Stewart's contract is up and Riker will be the Captain next year.

(My usual warning: DO NOT WATCH ANY COMBINED VERSIONS OF BOBW. There's been a few released (I believe there's one on the BluRay of Season 3), but the combined version uses the reprise of the cliffhanger from Part 2, which defeats the whole purpose.)
Old 12-15-2016, 12:42 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
for the authentic best of both worlds experience you need to then wait about 12 weeks until you watch part two.
I can still remember my parents' cries of anguish after seeing part one back in the day and then realizing they'd have to wait the entire summer to find out what happened.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:28 PM
Mystery Contraption

I only had to wait a day or two about a year ago and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:04 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Discovery has its lead: Sonequa Martin-Green

I wonder if that means her days on TWD are numbered.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:19 AM
Out Of Warranty

Netflix Spain has finally added Star Trek: TOS to its lineup.

I know what I'm watching tomorrow at the gym!
Old 12-17-2016, 03:38 AM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Side mission: count each time they say "phase variance"
Also how many time they say something is "breaking down at the molecular level"
Old 12-17-2016, 04:54 AM
Mystery Contraption

The Slaver Weapon was... pretty good? I mean, not that I'm disappointed to watch a good episode of a TV show, but one of the things I friggin' love about TAS is that it is so very VERY stupid and inane all the time. Getting something that would fit in with the Good Bits of one of the other series is not what I was expecting. Might help that Kirk isn't in this episode; Shatner pretty obviously doesn't want to be involved with this show.

Anyway, Spock Uhura and Sulu are coming back from a treasure hunt where they found a time capsule left behind by a bunch of evil space-guys called The Slavers who subjugated the galaxy billions of years ago, and then all went extinct. And that's a pretty big deal, and it's an even BIGGER deal that they happen to stumble on a second time capsule immediately afterward.

Or so they think; it was actually bait being laid out by Evil Space Pirate Cats! Not GOOD space cats like M'ress either. Bad ones. And they want to bring Slaver tech back to CATWORLD because it tends to make for some pretty deadly weapons. But the box winds up containing a whole lot of nothing. Well, it has a selfie of of the Slavers, a hunk of raw meat (?) and what LOOKS like a gun but apparently does nothing.

The Space Cats test the gun and find that it actually does a lot of stuff that's PRETTY IMPRESSIVE for billion-year-old technology, but none of it is useful for declaring war on anyone, so Spock steals it back and inadventerantly discovers that it also has a secret Nuclear Explosion setting. Then there's a hostage exchange between a captive Uhura (she got kidnapped btw) and the weapon, and the Cats can't figure out how to work the GOOD weapons, and their endless fiddling convinces the on-board computer that it's in the wrong hands so it self-destructs, taking all the cats and their base with it.

Spock et all were outside the blast radius so they were fine
Old 12-17-2016, 07:17 AM
Safe Space

Well, it was written by Larry Niven. Including the Kzinti was a weird crossover from his "Known Space" universe.

EDIT: Actually, it turns out that the story's an adaptation of "The Soft Weapon", a short story Niven had published already.

Also, apparently the Tzenkethi mentioned in DS9 were supposed to be the Kzin, and the Kzin might have actually appeared on Enterprise, had it made it to five seasons.

Last edited by Büge; 12-17-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:33 AM
Mystery Contraption

Yeah, the connection to The Soft Weapon was mentioned on the title card, but I didn't ever read anything of Mr. Niven, so it meant nothing to me. Also found it kind of odd that the episode laid out so much backstory for the Space Cats for a one-off villain in a spin-off.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:17 PM
Out Of Warranty

Netflix Spain now has Star Trek TAS and DS9. All that's missing is voyager and TNG. I'm a very happy trekker because at last I'll be able to watch DS9.

I really should finish season 3 of TNG first, though....
Old 12-30-2016, 12:46 PM
Your life is forfeit

OK, back on the exercise/TNG routine after a few weeks of travel and so, so much food.

"Remembrances" was really good. Crusher watching as everything she cared about slowly vanished was surprisingly effective as a horror experience in a series that has (to this point in my viewing) never really explored that particular genre. I also appreciate the fact that there was never even a suggestion of "Oh, it's female hysterics" or similar condescension; everyone took Crusher's word at face value, even if it contradicted their own knowledge. That may be a hole in story logic but makes sense for the characters: Mutual respect, and a recognition that when dealing with unexplained cosmic phenomena sometimes the most likely answer is not, "This person is trippin' balls," but rather "This one person who feels something is amiss may be on to something." The one narrative shortcoming, in my opinion, is that the writers tipped their hand a little too early about the nature of what was happening. I think if they had held off on cutting back to show what was happening in reality for a few more minutes, it would have made for an even more impressive episode.

I made it a bit into the next episode and can't stop laughing at the way they basically cast Tasha's sister by tracing a photo of Linda Hamilton from Terminator 2.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:50 PM
yum

I love the scene where Picard's like "Of course there's only two people in the whole universe, what's weird about that?"
Old 12-31-2016, 01:08 AM
Out Of Warranty

Netflix Spain has added TNG to its catalog at last, which means I can now watch it at the gym.

Where the heck is my :snoopy dance: emoticon, Talking Time?
Old 12-31-2016, 05:06 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
I love the scene where Picard's like "Of course there's only two people in the whole universe, what's weird about that?"
And Crusher's like, "I refuse to be gaslighted by the universe," and figures it all out herself. Good stuff.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:04 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Netflix Spain has added TNG to its catalog at last, which means I can now watch it at the gym.

Where the heck is my :snoopy dance: emoticon, Talking Time?
Is not good enough for you?
Old 01-14-2017, 04:52 AM
Mystery Contraption

Unhappy

Well, I watched Eye of the Beholder a few weeks ago and forgot to mention it here. The Usual Chuckleheads teleported down to a planet and it turns out they landed right in the middle of a zoo run by giant snuffleupagus-snails. Then they battered for freedom by accidentally kidnapping a baby snailuppagus, and the parents let it slide because every lifeform that isn't a Snailupagus is super dumb. At no point does the episode stop to indicate the title at any point.

Jihad on the other hand, is reverse Oceans Eleven and that's delightful! Kirk and Spock are recruited to thwart a Heist with the help of a bird man, a giant lizard named "Sword", a fretful cricket man, and a lady with weird eyebrows. Turns out an important religious artifact was stolen from Biiiiiiirdmans homeworld, and if it isn't brought back pronto they are going to kill everything in retaliation.

So they land on the planet the macguffin was last seen on (it's got REALLY WEIRD geology that makes it hard to figure out where things are) and every part of the heist crew uses their specific skills to get past the traps and the fact that the planet is doing its damnedest to kill everyone itself, and eventually find the relic. Turns out Biiiiiirdman himself stole it because he's a space-atheist and he also space-racist and figures convincing his Bird Pals to go off and MURDER EVERYTHING because they lost the thing their religion was based on is killing two birds with one stone.

Two killing birds with a stone between them?

Something...

Anyway, Kirk, Spock and Sword the Lizard Man all beat the crap out of him and steal back the macguffin and the heist leader (a space kitty cat that looks ALMOST EXACTLY like the space kittycats from a couple of episodes ago) says thanks, and then removes the whole episode from everyone's memories. And also cure Birdmans spacethiesm and spacism.

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher