The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 PM

Default Star Trek

Conclusion: It feels like a Star Trek movie, and the rebooting is handled in a clever and franchise-appropriate way. I gots no complaints. Lot of 60s' lensflares inserted all over the place, though. Also not totally sold on Urban as Bones.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 PM
gatchapon 3*

Au contrair--bones stole the show for me. he was the best dude there, and i loved every minute of it. This movie was everything I could hope for as a trek fan and a pragmatist who understands setting reboots.

The NY Times has a fabulous review that I wholeheartedly agree with.

The wife and I are gonna see it again as soon as possible. My main beef with the flick is that when it ended, there were no more episodes to watch. I'm totally sold on this.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 PM
To the Max

Hopefully I'll be able to see this tomorrow, and even as casual Star Trek fan I'm really excited.

Important question. Simon Pegg as Scotty: Good?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:36 PM
gatchapon 3*

fuck yeah he's good. He's better than good. He's goddamned stellar.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Not knowing the source material, I can say that this was a pretty badass movie and you all go see it.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:39 PM
To the Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
fuck yeah he's good. He's better than good. He's goddamned stellar.
Excellent. Honestly, he's my favorite actor in the film, and I was hoping he would get his due.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Au contrair--bones stole the show for me. he was the best dude there, and i loved every minute of it.
I thought he was great up until the emergency ship launch. Once he put the blue shirt on I felt that his acting got pretty wooden. Also he was pretty clearly playing Kelley, which was fine sometimes and other times felt forced. This is coming from someone who's enjoyed Urban's other roles, even, so I got nothin' against the actor.

Quote:
The wife and I are gonna see it again as soon as possible. My main beef with the flick is that when it ended, there were no more episodes to watch. I'm totally sold on this.
Huh, I have no interest in seeing it a second time. It was totally fine for a summer afternoon movie, but I dunno how much it's going to stick with me. That said, it does feel like a good start, and I am really looking forward to the next one.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunix View Post
Conclusion: It feels like a Star Trek movie, and the rebooting is handled in a clever and franchise-appropriate way.
This is key. It feels like a movie, not just a long episode. And yeah, the mechanics for the reboot are stellar, and tie in perfectly with one of "Star Trek's" oldest and most common tropes.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:22 PM
borgn

Seeing it tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to it immensely. I've already been spoilered by the reboot mechanic, unfortunately, but it makes sense and will ameliorate all the nerd rage about continuity problems.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I've never been big on continuity and somehow I've managed to avoid how the deal with it in the movie so far. Going to see it tomorrow (or tonight if lucky)

GeekDad over at Wired says that for viewers of the original show there are lots of little easter eggs in the film for them to enjoy and a second viewing was recommend, just for that reason. I guess if you're not that steeped in ST it won't matter.

Besides don't you go a second time to ruin the movie for your 1st time viewing friends?
Old 05-08-2009, 04:27 PM
#deadfish2017

I liked it but split timeline? Lord knows we've got enough on our hands with Zelda. Now we have to keep track of two Star Treks as well?
Old 05-08-2009, 04:52 PM
I. Love. It.

It was awesome. I'm considering seeing it a second time, and I've only ever seen a handful of movies twice in theatres.

Simon Pegg was great as Scotty, my only complaint is that he never appeared until past the half-way point. All the time I was wondering '...where the hell is Scotty?'

If we get a second movie or a new TV franchise out of this I'll be happy as a big nerdy clam.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Time for talking

I keep going over this movie in my head trying to find something to like, but the trouble is, it didn't seem to care to make the effort to engage me. It seemed like it was relying on my nostalgia and love of the characters to do the work for them, and I don't have any of that. I know Rei says he doesn't either, so who knows.

It just seemed very generic and the thing that burned me up the most was that there is nothing clever about the space battles. Even Galaxy Quest did them better. The only trick up the writers' sleeves seems to be "ram them!" Big deal. After "my ship is trailing mines" and the stuff that happens in, say, Serenity, for example, that's just not at all impressive. Plus Nero is completely ineffective as a villain. Sure, he destroys an entire planet, but even that doesn't really mean much since you don't know much about the planet. They claim there were billions there, but that's just a number to the viewer. Especially when what we've seen of the planet up to that point seems to be a barren, rocky wasteland.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:10 PM
PIXELBOT

I thought it was pretty frantic and fantastic for the first half, but once it hit the snow planet it kind of dragged a bit, and never really regained that momentum. That said, I thought the cast was stellar (for whatever reason overeager Chekov was like my favorite part of the whole movie), everything looked great (60s lens flares can only improve films), and Michael Giacchino's soundtrack was perfect.

Honestly though, as good as this movie is, what I really would like to see is whatever happens twenty five minutes after this movie ends, when the crew goes on all kinds of adventures.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I keep going over this movie in my head trying to find something to like, but the trouble is, it didn't seem to care to make the effort to engage me. It seemed like it was relying on my nostalgia and love of the characters to do the work for them, and I don't have any of that. I know Rei says he doesn't either, so who knows.

It just seemed very generic and the thing that burned me up the most was that there is too many naked green alien lesbian threesomes.
Honestly, all of that is why I said, "Star Trek movie." It's not any better or worse than the other ten(?) offerings, I think. How that sits with an individual viewer is kind of up to them.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:22 PM
PIXELBOT

I dunno, it's a lot better than Insurrection.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Swag Brotagonist

Saw it this afternoon with my wife, and I loved it. The casting was spot on, McCoy and Scotty stole the show for me. I have to agree though, I really wished Scotty had shown up earlier. The only reference I caught was the reference to Enterprise, of all things, where Scotty is talking about losing Admiral Archer's beagle in a transporter experiment. The Spock and Uhura romance was a bit weird and kind of off putting as well.

I want to see it again, but I don't think my wife will. We both agreed that the casting was amazing, but she thought the plot was only so-so. I guess I'll just have to wait for the DVD.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughtron View Post
I dunno, it's a lot better than Insurrection.
Staring at a wall is better than Insurrection.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughtron View Post
I dunno, it's a lot better than Nemesis.
Nemesis was the worst.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:47 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Shivam and I rarely see eye to eye on things, but this one of the rare occasions where we agree 100% on absolutely everything about this movie. It's one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a long, long time.

The Spock/Uhura thing was a bit weird at first, but I think it works. Bones was incredible. I agree that in some scenes it sounded like he was trying a bit too hard to be DeForest, but that was when he was being really intense. That's Bones for you. Sometimes he's rambling and yelling and other times he's just normal. It was just a different take on the character, and I think it worked wonderfully. A young/inexperienced Chekov worked a lot better than I thought it would. Simon Pegg was amazing, as always. My only complaint about him was that he showed up late in the movie. I was initially skeptical of Chris Pine as Kirk, but man. He was pretty damned fantastic. I never used to like Kirk (compared the Picard anyway) because Shatner is such a ham, but Pine made me love him.

The only character I thought could've been better was Sulu. He had some slight comic relief, but it wasn't consistent enough to actually be comic relief. He had one action scene, but that's not enough to be a truly important character. He piloted the ship in the space battles, but those are all shown from the ship's exterior so it's hard to tell that he's even involved. He was just sort of there. It didn't work against the film, though. The core relationship between Kirk and Spock was there and that's really what matters.

I think the only thing you can fault this movie with is that, even though it's billed as a Star Trek for non-Trekkies, there's no real explanation given. The movie assumes that everyone has a vague Star Trek background (what the Federation is, what Vulcan is/are, etc.) from the get-go. You can figure out what's going on as you watch, but I'm sure someone is going to use this as an argument against this film. Thankfully, I saw the film with a non-Trekkie, and he loved it/was not confused at all. So I can safely say that if someone does use this as an argument, then they are just being a huge sourpuss.

This film is great, and I'm going to see it again. I've never seen a movie in theater twice ever in my life. Ever. But this one is gonna be the one that finally makes it happen.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:00 PM
夏の夕暮れと

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringworm View Post
Staring at a wall is better than Insurrection.
Insurrection has the awesome face-melting, and uhh...that hilariously stupid scene where Riker yells "We're not running from these bastards anymore!" and starts flying the ship with a joystick that pops out of the bridge.

So that's like 30 seconds out of a pretty long movie, but that's still more entertainment proportionally than some episodes of, say, Voyager.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:04 PM

Man, everyone seems to love this movie, I feel like I've missed something. Is it a thing where Trekkies like it the most? I'm not interested in seeing it in a theater again, but hopefully it'll hit DVD before too long.

EDIT: Not mentioned yet: Bruce Greenwood as Pike.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Clickclickclickclick

I loved it. It hit all the right notes with me as a (lapsed since the end of DS9) Trekkie, with maybe one too many nods to the old series - they could have taken out a famous line or two in favor of a newly minted original line and made the film better.

It's late, more later, but right now I'm wondering where my VCR is so I can rewatch all the tapes I recorded back in junior high and high school of TNG and DS9...
Old 05-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanatos feeding time

I kept expecting to see Kal Penn pop up in a cameo.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:07 PM
hold back the night

I just got back from seeing this and I am completely and utterly disappointed.

(I'm not sure where you would place me in the continuum of Star Trek fandom: I grew up watching The Next Generation, which I still have great affection for but recognize is pretty flawed. I think Deep Space Nine is a masterpiece while Voyager and Enterprise are, aside from a handful of episodes, garbage. My favorite Trek film is First Contact, but I also really enjoyed II and IV, and to a lesser extent VI, and you can keep the rest of them. I'd like to think that all this means that, as a fan, I don't make excuses for the weaker parts of the franchise, but maybe I'm just hard to please.)

At any rate, I wasn't pleased tonight. The movie seemed to vacillate between vapid action cliches and incessantly winking at the audience, including the lifting of a lot of dialogue from Wrath of Khan. I understand that you need to throw a few Easter eggs in there but they felt more like gaudily-painted Easter anvils.

There are a lot of reasons I wish I had never watched two and a half seasons of Heroes, but one of them is that I can't see Zachary Quinto as anything other than Sylar. I don't know if that's his fault or mine. I agree with the sentiment upthread that whoever played Bones wasn't actually acting, just doing a DeForest Kelley impression. Kirk and Chekhov were great though.

The villain's motivations make zero sense to me. So Romulus gets blown up by a supernova that "threatened to destroy the galaxy" (???), and instead of sending a pilot or an engineer they throw Ambassador Spock in a ship full of red matter at it. (What's red matter? Who knows! It's red. Hey look, explosions!) Because Spock arrives too late, the Romulan miner who looks nothing like a Romulan wants to destroy the Federation. What?

Sulu has a telescoping katana. Jesus Christ.

There were a few glimmers in the darkness, a couple lines that made me smile, but the whole thing just felt robotic and brainless. I didn't need or expect this film to be a revitalization of a stale franchise, because I wasn't sure such a thing was even possible... just one last good Trek adventure and it wasn't even that. I really, really wanted to like this movie but there's just nothing there.

Anyway. What really fucks me up about this movie is that I was apparently the only one in my packed theater who didn't love it; everyone was cheering and whistling at the end. It's getting glowing reviews everywhere. It all makes me feel kind of lonely and crazy in the same way that Final Fantasy XII did: "what's wrong with me that I can't enjoy this the same way everyone else does?"

That, and the fact that the success of this film means it's likely going to be the launching point for any Trek in the foreseeable future. They can go and make a million sequels or whatever, but this isn't my Star Trek anymore, and it can go on without me.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Sulu has a telescoping double meat. Jesus Christ.
Considering he had training in fencing, he shouldn't have even been able to swing the thing in a straight line.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Faceshove champion

I think this was a perfect reboot. The continuity explanation was clever and took me by surprise, I was just expecting this movie to start from a clean slate. It kept up a fast pace and never bogged itself down into the annoying soap opera bullshit drama that made me hate Deep Space 9 and Voyager. The personal relationships were clear, simple, made sense, and most importantly, worked in tandem with plotting, never bogging down the pacing. Maybe they could've done a better job foreshadowing Uhura's feelings for Spock, but their romance never struck me as wrong.

About the one thing you could say was wrong about the movie is that it was a little weak as far as making a big philosophical statement. In my mind, that's really the crux of a good Star Trek story. About all it managed was a weak message of "human feelings and emotion=good."

I agree with the sentiment that the closing made me crave seeing just what crazy new adventures and worlds this crew will explore in future installments.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:36 AM
PIXELBOT

Something else I really liked about the movie was that sometimes, just like old Star Trek, it was just really stupid and goofy. See: Sulu's Katana, phasers, Spock in general.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Space Prez

I had no expectations going in so I wasn't disappointed in the least, but I wasn't blown away either. The cast was good but I thought I was watching a SNL sketch of Star Trek, like there was some big punchline coming that never paid off. The Nimoy insertion, while much appreciated, felt like an apology to fans. It's hard to take a reboot seriously when they make it clear this is an alternate reality. At the risk of damning with faint praise, I would rank it the third or fourth best Trek film with the full disclosure that I actually really like the first film.

I would watch a sequel just for more Bones. I would watch a movie with just Bones.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:08 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSyndrome View Post
Considering he had training in line dancing, he shouldn't have even been able to swing the thing in a straight line.
For what it's worth, that can act as a generic term for any kind of swordplay.

Overall I really liked this movie - I kinda turned my brain off and didn't think too hard about time travel and red matter (lol) and really enjoyed the action and, surprisingly, the acting. Bones was kinda the weak link in the cast for me, he was too hammy and stuck out amongst the other more natural performances, and Sulu felt half-developed (and "give the asian guya katana and karate" rankled me). Oddly enough, the reboot mechanism worked pretty well for me, and felt right at home in a Star Trek movie. In the end I'd probably see it a second time if asked and I'm looking forward to a new franchise.

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher