The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 04-10-2017, 12:18 PM
#deadfish2017

Found this post on BBG. Worth a shot?

Quote:
Now that we are all grown up, here's how we play now...

One major rule change: All questions have to be purely based on what you think the personality is for your person, you cannot ask any question directly or indirectly related to the person's appearance (ie. so you can't say, has your person used a razor on their face in the last week because that would be related to appearance)

Additional Rules:
If you get to your last person and you are wrong, you are allowed to start over, but you can't try and reconfirm what your opponent answered for any previous question, nor can you repeat a question your opponent has already asked in any game you've played that day.

When I was first introduced to this version, I thought it would be virtually impossible to work out, but having played many games of this version, I'm surprised how well I can read how my friends perceive others based purely on a picture. It probably wouldn't work as well with strangers.

Some examples of questions in games I've won have been as ridiculous as:
Does your person prefer your steak from medium well done to well done?
If your person had a fruit bowl on their dining table, would they use fake fruit over real fruit?
Does your person prefer boxers over briefs?
Can your person play the guitar?
Did your person have a job delivering take out food while going through university?
Does your best friend of the same sex have a different sexual preference to you?

Most of the other questions generally get a little more risque and probably shouldn't be repeated here

But if you feel like pulling out your old copy of guess who from 20 years ago and want to make it a challenge...this version is for you!
Old 04-10-2017, 12:21 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I like the sounds of that, because not only does it fix some of the problems with the game, but it also makes it funnier and more about relating to and understanding your friends, which is the bedrock upon which all of the most fun tabletop games are built.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:32 PM
For blood and gold

Yeah, that's pretty awesome. Turns it more into a Loaded Questions-type game.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:03 PM
Natural Born Critic

It'll be interesting to see how my criteria for "best games" match up with the rest of the list as we go through. Only five of my selections were games I learned to play before the age of 18, and none of those games were by Milton Bradley.

Personally I'm sure I'd enjoy Guess Who with my daughter when she's a bit older, but I'd hope we will have put that game to bed by the time she turns 10.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:04 PM
-ryn

Guess Who? was on my long list but I cut it. Definitely agree that its a classic and fun. The action of flipping over the tiles with the loud "clack" they make just makes you feel good every time you do it. And even though its relatively simple, its still fun and you can get lucky even if you don't play optimally. We had a copy at my elementary school that we could play on rainy days at recess. Its quick to set up (major plus) and quick to play so its great even if there's a group and you have to play the winner. You also don't have too many pieces to keep track of, which is a big plus if you were like me as a kid...

The variant Loki posted sounds very different as the game becomes more about reading your friend. Very cool.

I'm loving the old commercials. I remember all the ones posted so far and I wanted all of them.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:22 PM

totally missed the thing at the bottom
Old 04-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulgakov View Post
It'll be interesting to see how my criteria for "best games" match up with the rest of the list as we go through. Only five of my selections were games I learned to play before the age of 18, and none of those games were by Milton Bradley.

Personally I'm sure I'd enjoy Guess Who with my daughter when she's a bit older, but I'd hope we will have put that game to bed by the time she turns 10.
Yeah, I almost entirely went with games I enjoy (or think I'd still enjoy) playing now - so that cut out all the ones that are basically "proceed around the board with a few disruptions" among other simple types from my youth. In fact I think I have only one or two games on my list that would be considered primarily aimed at kids, though a number of others are reasonably playable by kids.

And: aw, crap, looking back at my list to check this, I've just realized I totally somehow left out one that I'd meant to put near the top! Nuts.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:00 PM
Satanic Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Yeah, I almost entirely went with games I enjoy (or think I'd still enjoy) playing now - so that cut out all the ones that are basically "proceed around the board with a few disruptions" among other simple types from my youth.
My favorite board game as a kid was called By Jove. It was sort of like Monopoly except instead of buying property you would fight various monsters from Greek and Roman myth. You'd befriend different heroes, try not to get sent to Hades, hunt for the Golden Fleece, and escape the labyrinth.

You could have four random number generators play it; save for when to use your not-Chance cards, there is absolutely no choice involved in any action. Everything is resolved with a die roll.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
My favorite board game as a kid was called By Jove. It was sort of like Monopoly except instead of buying property you would fight various monsters from Greek and Roman myth. You'd befriend different heroes, try not to get sent to Hades, hunt for the Golden Fleece, and escape the labyrinth.

You could have four random number generators play it; save for when to use your not-Chance cards, there is absolutely no choice involved in any action. Everything is resolved with a die roll.
!!!!!
I totally had and played the hell out of that game! Heck if I'd remember the name I might've put it on the list. Though it was so long ago I guess I'd forgotten exactly how non-interactive it is. The flavor's pretty sweet at least!
Old 04-10-2017, 04:59 PM
This way up

Drat it, I missed the chance to vote for lots of antique Avalon Hill games.

Ah well. I shall nurse high hopes for this thread nonetheless. And hopefully get some good recommendations.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:57 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulgakov View Post
I've got a similar situation. 5 1/2 of my list is games I played before I was 18. But that makes sense, given that 90% of the games I've played I learned in the last 6 years.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaspoon View Post
Drat it, I missed the chance to vote for lots of antique Avalon Hill games.
FWIW, I'm sad that you missed the chance to vote for lots of antique Avalon Hill games too.

Also, to everyone worried about the list contents, rest assured that we have a good mixture of games at all levels of age/complexity, as was my hope.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:24 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I like the sounds of that, because not only does it fix some of the problems with the game, but it also makes it funnier and more about relating to and understanding your friends, which is the bedrock upon which all of the most fun tabletop games are built.
That sounds sorta like the game Dixit.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Dr. Pee Wee Kissinger

I never played Guess Who as a child, though I played it a few times with my kids. The alternate rules sound like a blast. Too bad we got rid of it.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:58 PM

I wish I could have thought of more than like, 10 board games (and I was counting card games, too!) so I could have submitted a list. Just wouldn't feel right only doing 8-10.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:14 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Just wouldn't feel right only doing 8-10.
Despite that being the recommended age for Guess Who?.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Bertolli?!?...

FWIW, I received fully half-a-dozen submissions of ~10 games or fewer, so your list would have been more than welcome! Either way, happy to have you aboard for the results!
Old 04-10-2017, 08:35 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Guess Who is also the name of a band. I wonder how many (if any) other entries will have that same quality?
Old 04-10-2017, 08:43 PM
Dr. Pee Wee Kissinger

Funnily enough, I actually managed to scare up more entries for this list (20) than the comics list (15), which surprised me.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:34 AM
-ryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Guess Who is also the name of a band. I wonder how many (if any) other entries will have that same quality?
Who's on stage?

my solution to having few entries to a top 25 list is to leave the top spots blank, so my choices don't carry as much weight. Its my way of saying that I know I would probably rank several things higher if I knew they existed. Then if something from my list shows up, its more likely because several people voted for it and I just helped rather than being the sole determiner of something's place on the list because I put it at number 1, unless I really feel that strongly about it.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Bertolli?!?...

#49 (tie) - Boss Monster
8-bit dungeon building simulator

# of players: 2-4

Like designing side-scrolling dungeons? Hate heroes and their stupid quests? Enjoy numbers-filed-off references to beloved video game properties? Then have I got the game for you!

Boss Monster tasks players with constructing a dungeon full of deadly traps, filling it with treasure to lure in plucky heroes, and then killing them for points. Players are competing to attract the most heroes to their dungeon without getting too greedy, as if heroes are able to successfully complete the dungeon then they'll reach the boss and hurt or possibly kill it.

Needless to say, this game is much more recent than our last entry. I don't remember where I first heard about it (possibly here on TT?), but I thought it looked cute and bought a copy when it was the new hotness, but I've only ever gotten it to the table once. That's not to speak ill of it, though; I'm pretty sure we all enjoyed ourselves that afternoon. I just don't get games to the table all that often. >_<

The game is packed to the ziggurat with references to classic video games, some of which are so blatant that I'm frankly surprised they got away with it. I mean, one of the rooms is a cloning machine that spits out straight-up palette swaps of Billy/Jimmy Lee, and that room can later be upgraded to "ROBOBO". A lot of the appeal is just in seeing the fun sprite artwork on the various dungeon rooms and spell cards (Did I mention that there are spell cards? There are spell cards, if you want to throw a wrench into your opponents plans). Other than that, it's a lot of fun to put together a jerk-ass dungeon. You can have things like a room with debilitating gas that leads into a room with crushing spikes (which are more effective because of the gas) which leads into a Minotaur's maze that disorients the player and sends them back into the spike room again. That's some quality level design right there!

(Note that one of these 4 votes was for Boss Monster 2, which can be played stand-alone or added to the first game as an expansion. I'm not familiar with it beyond that and thus can't speak to it any further, but maybe the person who voted for it will care to share more!)

Last edited by JBear; 04-11-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:35 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Dreamworks getting pretty desperate with these sequels
Old 04-11-2017, 07:36 AM
It's all good, man

I didn't recognize it at first but I've actually played this. It's really interesting! You have to balance your risk/reward while being wary of the other players' ability to screw you over.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:57 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Boss Monster is a better game than you'd expect given its heavily pandering marketing. Once you've gotten over the jokes and card art, it's still fun to arrange a death gauntlet. I don't care for the "screw you" nature of some of the spells, but the heroes aren't especially menacing on their own, so what's a boss monster to do?

The expansion (packaged in a Game Boy-looking box, not to be confused with Boss Monster 2) does give the heroes more tools to get through tough dungeons, but it's still rare for a player to be eliminated due to wounds. Maybe the sequel changes that.

(2 for 2 on games owned; 0 for 2 on votes)
Old 04-11-2017, 08:05 AM
Not a Beer

I always thought that one looked intriguing, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet...
Old 04-11-2017, 08:06 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Boss Monster is a better game than you'd expect given its heavily pandering marketing.
I've never taken the plunge for this very reason.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:16 AM
-ryn

nice tie pin, but your watch band looks a little loose.

and you actually found a bertolli olive oil poster...

the game looks interesting. I've never heard of it.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:22 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
nice tie pin, but your watch band looks a little loose.
Nah, if it was loose I wouldn't be able to have it keep that facing. The end of the strap is just raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
and you actually found a bertolli olive oil poster...
Nah, don't be silly. Posters are expensive.

I custom-ordered a framed Bertolli canvas print.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:25 AM
Back in your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I always thought that one looked intriguing, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet...
Old 04-11-2017, 08:41 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Nah, don't be silly. Posters are expensive.

I custom-ordered a framed Bertolli canvas print.
I'm in awe.

Tags
falselogic ruins #1 , olive oil , top 50 , top 50 countdown