The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 04-08-2017, 04:14 PM
What Time Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Can't I feel both ways?!
Old 04-08-2017, 04:44 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
There are some questions we are better off not knowing the answers to.
We stared into the abyss because that's where you were looking.

But I think you were staring into a different abyss. It's sort of hard to tell them apart without staring at them really long and hard.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

I didn't have a gamecube when I hit puberty
I did, however, have a copy of the cover of the 75th issue of Archie Sonic
Old 04-08-2017, 10:17 PM
Not a Beer

I can honestly say I have never gotten off to Krystal.

(Granted, I haven't played any of the StarFox games she's in. But tbh she seems kind of boring anyway.)
Old 04-09-2017, 02:45 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

EVERYONE
Old 04-14-2017, 01:24 AM
oh my car

Okay, look. Look. I have to be up in the morning but I can't sleep until I lay this out.

Bugs Bunny does not wear clothes. Lola Bunny does. Lola Bunny's raison d'être is to be "the sexy one." But Bugs could also do sexy; he has played the seductress to memorable effect. How did he do it? By wearing clothes.

Now maybe you have learned something about cartoon rabbits.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:16 AM

Consider:

But then:

So is it a mouse thing, or is it a gender thing Mickey stands in defiance of?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:09 PM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Bugs Bunny does not wear clothes. Lola Bunny does. Lola Bunny's raison d'être is to be "the sexy one." But Bugs could also do sexy; he has played the seductress to memorable effect. How did he do it? By wearing clothes.
It all goes back to when Adam Rabbit took a pair of slacks from the Clothes Tree of Eden and gained forbidden knowledge of Hot Or Not
Old 04-14-2017, 06:26 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Consider:

But then:

So is it a mouse thing, or is it a gender thing Mickey stands in defiance of?
But Monterey Jack is a male mouse (supposedly)... The world of cartoon character nudity standards is quite arbitrary and inconsistent.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:02 PM
oh my car

Default Sir, this is a McDonald's drive-thru

Nudity is as much a social construct as it is an objective state. Highly abstract cartoon characters generally don't read as nude, not because of the presence or absence of clothing drawn on them, but because of the behavior they depict and the context they are shown inhabiting. Moomin is a really good example here.

Remember that the cartoon characters, even when ostensibly animals, are playing human roles. The abstraction in their design is what allows them to credibly act human despite the illustration having very little resemblance to human anatomy (it's pretty much down to the total number of major appendages and facial features).

The illustrator here faces a dilemma: the characters, for various reasons, need to be more expressive and distinctive, but that expression and distinction usually needs to be added by increasing detail, and adding human-like detail to them reduces the abstraction, which in turn creates other restrictions on them. Animal parts and signature garments are ways of increasing detail without adding any human anatomical features. Just like Mickey's weird gloved nubs stand for all the complexity and subtlety of a human hand just by simulating the memorable parts, his round shorts with nonfunctional buttons stand for an entire outfit.

They add these animal parts without causing the character to become more animalistic. The abstraction means that it is behavior, not appearance, that determines whether the character is "really" an animal or not. And when they are made to behave like animals, of course, that becomes the joke. It's expected for an animal to act like an animal, but for a human to act like an animal is comedy.

It's the same way with clothes. The cartoon character isn't naked, but the presence of clothing is not the reason why. The fact that they're acting normally in public and so is everyone around them is what makes them not naked. Sometimes it's a joke to draw them acting like they're naked and embarrassed, and the joke is based on the incongruity between the literal definition of something and the contextual interpretation that makes it meaningful.

So when you've got a character who's intended to provoke the audience into thinking she might become nude, and she is in the same movie as a character who is never drawn with clothes that aren't costumes but never gives off any sense of nudity, and you wonder what is up with that, that is what is up with that.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:33 PM
forbidden noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by @108 (Tim Rogers)
no offense: anyone who acts like they didn't jack off to the red snipperclip from snipperclips (2017) is lying to you
Old 04-15-2017, 12:46 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Default Never change, Bongo.

You had to ask, Torzelbaum.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:23 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Nudity is as much a social construct as it is an objective state. Highly abstract cartoon characters generally don't read as nude, not because of the presence or absence of clothing drawn on them, but because of the behavior they depict and the context they are shown inhabiting. Moomin is a really good example here.

Remember that the cartoon characters, even when ostensibly animals, are playing human roles. The abstraction in their design is what allows them to credibly act human despite the illustration having very little resemblance to human anatomy (it's pretty much down to the total number of major appendages and facial features).

The illustrator here faces a dilemma: the characters, for various reasons, need to be more expressive and distinctive, but that expression and distinction usually needs to be added by increasing detail, and adding human-like detail to them reduces the abstraction, which in turn creates other restrictions on them. Animal parts and signature garments are ways of increasing detail without adding any human anatomical features. Just like Mickey's weird gloved nubs stand for all the complexity and subtlety of a human hand just by simulating the memorable parts, his round shorts with nonfunctional buttons stand for an entire outfit.

They add these animal parts without causing the character to become more animalistic. The abstraction means that it is behavior, not appearance, that determines whether the character is "really" an animal or not. And when they are made to behave like animals, of course, that becomes the joke. It's expected for an animal to act like an animal, but for a human to act like an animal is comedy.

It's the same way with clothes. The cartoon character isn't naked, but the presence of clothing is not the reason why. The fact that they're acting normally in public and so is everyone around them is what makes them not naked. Sometimes it's a joke to draw them acting like they're naked and embarrassed, and the joke is based on the incongruity between the literal definition of something and the contextual interpretation that makes it meaningful.

So when you've got a character who's intended to provoke the audience into thinking she might become nude, and she is in the same movie as a character who is never drawn with clothes that aren't costumes but never gives off any sense of nudity, and you wonder what is up with that, that is what is up with that.
So why don't Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny wear clothes in their default state?
Old 04-17-2017, 05:35 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
So why don't Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny wear clothes in their default state?
They don't need clothes because they are capable of satisfactory expression and distinctiveness without them.

They don't have clothes because they often appeared in scenarios where they were playing the ostensible role of a wild animal, most notably those they shared with Elmer Fudd in the ever-popular "prey outwits predator" plot. Because this unclothed state was the greatest common factor of all their appearances, it solidified into their default design.

With Daffy, at least, the conceit is that his feathers are clothes, and when he wears human clothes on top of them it is usually just an accessory rather than a bottom-layer garment, e.g. he'll wear a hat and a coat, or spaceman armor. That ends up being something appropriate to his character's occupation.

Bugs, meanwhile, wears costumes, uniforms, and disguises, and the unclothed appearance remains visible beneath (it's commonly a gag that whatever he's wearing does not fit him well) reminds the viewer of his true self.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:54 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Bugs, meanwhile, wears costumes, uniforms, and disguises, and the unclothed appearance remains visible beneath (it's commonly a gag that whatever he's wearing does not fit him well) reminds the viewer of his true self.
And what about when he dresses in drag?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
And what about when he dresses in drag?
That is a disguise. I thought that was obvious. Bugs Bunny in drag is always deception rather than self-expression.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:14 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Were you ever attracted to Bugs Bunny when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:01 AM
Thwomp Boyardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Were you ever attracted to Bugs Bunny when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?
Me neither.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:49 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
That is a disguise. I thought that was obvious. Bugs Bunny in drag is always deception rather than self-expression.
Yes, but why did he choose that specific disguise?
Old 04-18-2017, 11:42 AM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Yes, but why did he choose that specific disguise?
There is no "that specific disguise." He dresses appropriately to the prank he is playing. When that means causing some yokels to dance uncontrollably to their deaths, he dresses like a fiddler. When that means causing his hunter to become distracted and horny, he dresses like a prostitute.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Mystery Contraption

Fudd has a furry fetish.

Ain't rocket science.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:22 AM
BAG

Still relevant scene from Wayne's World:
Old 04-19-2017, 03:43 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
Still relevant scene from Wayne's World:
Sorry, but madhair beat you to the punch.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:21 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Well... It depends on which time...

I've said too much...
Old 04-23-2017, 07:21 AM
so exciting!

There's a Bugs/Lola filter on snapchat today and I blame this thread for it
Old 04-23-2017, 07:26 AM
so exciting!

Also does she really have only four minutes of screen time in the movie? Because sheesh.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:23 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Also does she really have only four minutes of screen time in the movie? Because sheesh.
In the making of documentary, they discuss how rigorous focus group testing confirmed that four minutes was ample time for the average viewer of Space Jam to achieve climax.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:18 PM
What Time Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
In the making of documentary, they discuss how rigorous focus group testing confirmed that four minutes was ample time for the average viewer of Space Jam to achieve climax.
Is this four consecutive minutes or including all of the business one has to do to maintain until Lola is next on the screen?

Tags
a bongo bill thread , doin it like rabbits