The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-22-2017, 07:34 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Default A crazy contraption, the fun is catchin', it's TOP 50 TABLETOP GAMES NOMINATION TIME!

It's time to play some Tabletop Games!

Are you excited?

I know! This is going to be so much fun, you guys!

But there's just one little thing that we need to get out of the way first…

As much as of would love to just say "there aren't any rules", I know that some of you experience physical pain at the very idea, so I'll lay out some basic guidelines.

First of all, the usual basics all apply: please PM me a list, ordered from #1 to #25, of your favourite tabletop games. I'll assign them a point value (using the +10 adjustment for those who care; for those that don't, you don't need to worry about it), total up the results, and then start posting them all in a separate results thread after the submission period ends. The submission period will be ~two weeks, so please have your lists in by end of day on April 7th. I'm afraid I likely won't be able to grant any extensions, as I need some prep time for the results thread, and I intend to start working on stuff as soon as the list is finalized, so don't procrastinate! (The earlier the better, in fact, since I'm going to start prep work on any obvious front-runners first to save myself time later, and then work backwards towards the bottom of the list.)

I know, I know, I'm almost done, I promise! Just a few more rules, and then we can start having fun...

As for what sort of games qualify, the answer is pretty simple: whatever you want! if you feel comfortable calling it a tabletop game, then by all means put it on there. I initially submitted this list as "board games" a year ago, and I was inclined to exclude role-playing systems, just to narrow the focus a bit, but there's a bunch of games that straddle the line between RPG and board game these days, and I can't be arsed to draw that line, so if you like role-playing systems and want to highlight some of your favourites, then by all means put 'em on there. I am deathly allergic to annoying categorization arguments, so follow your heart. CCGs, RPGs, deck-building, games of dexterity, traditional card games, etc. are all aces. I've drawn the line, and that line is the edge of your table. If it's a game that you play around, or even in proximity to, a table, then good news, it's allowed! That being said, I want this to be a list of tabletop games, not a list of your 25 favourite RPG settings, so I'd encourage everyone to just pick a few of their favourites (although, again, if you want to submit a list of 25 RPG systems, I won't stop you!). I think that Top 50 Tabletop RPGs is a different, interesting list that we could perhaps do in the future, so keep some in the tank.

And finally, one other possibly contentious rule that I'd no doubt get questions about if I didn't specify: different versions/sets/editions of a game should not be distinct entries. Yes yes, I know, some games can vary wildly from one release to the next, but this is a broad enough category that I'd rather not have several spots taken up by the same game. In such cases, please just pick your favourite and note that with your vote, and I'll provide a version breakdown in the relevant results post. Or average out how you feel about the different releases, if you prefer. Just note that if I get any lists with multiple entries for different versions of the same game, I'll just take the point value of your highest instance of that game and ignore the others.

Alright, that's it. That wasn't so bad, was it?

[Note: As someone who has been tasked with teaching Johnny the rules to many a game in the past, I assure you that the scenario presented here is only inaccurate insofar as he is sleeping instead of reading a comic.]

In closing, I want to make something very clear that I only lightly touched on earlier: within a few hours of this topic winning, we already had people making fun of certain games. Well you know what? F*ck 'em. They're not in charge here, I am, and I want everyone to have fun. Because we're celebrating games, and games are fun! You need not to have played the latest German board game with a 1-inch thick manual to participate. Even if you haven't played tabletop games since you were a child, you're still more than welcome to submit a list. My own personal list is going to have a silly board game for kids that I played as a lad, and I'll probably rank it quite high! I hope someone else votes for it too! So please, don't let those other clowns scare you out of participating, and don't let them dominate the list with only the kind of games that they think it's okay to like. I'd love to see everyone's list, and to see what games you, the person reading this right now, like, and I want this to be as inclusive as possible. This is a list of Talking Time's Top 50 Tabletop Games, and if you're reading this, then guess what, that's you! If you don't want to submit a list and still want to follow along or discuss things, then you're welcome to do so, but please don't sit on the sidelines because you don't think you've played enough games, or you don't think you've played the right games. Back when I was a kid, you know what we did when the cool kids were mean to us? We played tabletop games in my parents' basement! Well, I have a big ol' house of my own now with just me in it, and with tables to spare, so allow me to invite you all inside for some games. There's Mountain Dew in the fridge, Doritos in the cupboard, and pizza on the way. Let's play!

…Just please make sure to wash your hands. Nothing gets Dorito stains out. See?

Old 03-22-2017, 07:35 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Default BONUS GAME

I know I can't stop you people from mentioning specific games in this thread, no matter how much I'd like to (although for the record, I'd very much like it if you didn't), but I've carefully avoided naming any, and I didn't want to influence the results with my silly made-up game photos above, so I very carefully made sure that none of the components had the name of the games from which I took them printed anywhere visible. In the interests of furthermore discouraging people from noting or speculating on what games they did come from in this thread, I'm holding a little bonus contest. When you submit your list PM to me, feel free to also include a list of individual games that you can identify components from in the above shots. The person who comes closest to identifying them all (or first, if several people get them all) will get a SECRET PRIZE (TBD). Note that there are exactly 20 total, and I'll give you one for free: I've used a basic deck of generic playing cards. Everything else comes from 19 different named, boxed board games. Good luck!

Here are some better pictures to help identify components:

ETA: Full disclosure, I'm not expecting anyone to get all 20, given that the last one is admittedly kind of horseshit, with only one single difficult-to-identify component. Feel free to prove me wrong, though! (Just note that it's not the timer or the draw bags, which are all generic. Nothing else is, though.)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:00 AM
Bertolli?!?...

It occurs to me that I might do well to strip the basics away from the silly pictures and list them separately, just to make sure that no one misses them.

TLDR:
  • PM me a numbered list of up to 25 different tabletop games (fewer is fine)
  • Deadline is end of day, April 7th
  • Different versions of the same game should not be separate items

ETA: I already have my first submission. I am genuinely excited.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:19 AM
is Earnest

Cool, I'll make a list for this. Thanks for running it!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:34 AM
Not a Beer

.... you're actually going to do your damnedest to play all the winners aren't you, you crazy bastard?

Anyways I started brainstorming my list and damn this is going to take some looking shit up because right now a good 80% of my entries are listed as "that one game with the X and the Y".

Meanwhile:

(Insta-edit: It occurs to me that that video does, obviously, name a lot of specific games so if you want to avoid that, I guess don't watch it 'til after you submit a list. But it's a fun song so watch it then.)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:34 AM
Video Monster

Yes good
Old 03-22-2017, 08:39 AM
disguised king of surfing

In the interest of fairness, I'll say that one of those games does have its name visible in the pictures.

That's all I'm saying, though.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:39 AM
King Of Space-Time

Unhappy

My list is gonna be small. I have a hard time finding folks to play with.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Is there not one thing

I'm going to name game names, but only name games that don't exist, piss on your rules, grand-paw
  1. The Lost Catamaran
  2. When All You Need Is a Knife
  3. Eureka: Kemistry Kreationz for Kidz
  4. Don't Fuck the Gargoyle!
  5. Ten Brides for Temujin
  6. Bringing in the Sheaves: Settling the Deseret Canaan
  7. Lunch-splosion!!!!
  8. The Pacification of Hispaniola (Semper Fi! Series vol. XII)
  9. Advanced Kon Tiki
  10. Flash Crash Trader
Old 03-22-2017, 10:11 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Don't Fuck the Gargoyle!
I'm picturing an 80s-style TV ad with a bunch of kids playing this and one of them trips and then another says "Whoops! You fucked the gargoyle!"

So I guess what I'm saying is: when can I play your prototype?
Old 03-22-2017, 10:11 AM
#deadfish2017

fuck you now I got 10 games that I really would like to play but can't.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Default An Important Public Service Announcement

Note that no important game components were harmed in the making of these goofs*. I had a few spare tiles that I was about to throw out from a game that accidentally shipped with too many components in the box, and those are what I subjected to the Doritoing.

* - I make no such assurances about Johnny Unusual's safety, however.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:36 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

You bastard, Monopoly Star Wars is a completely different game from Monopoly Sonic and both deserve to be loved and appreciated!
Old 03-22-2017, 10:46 AM
Out Of Warranty

Clever, Ample! The rules don't say you have to nominate games that exist!

Quote:
  1. Don't Fuck the Gargoyle!
But what it I *do* want to fuck the gargoyle?
Old 03-22-2017, 10:52 AM
-ryn

JBear, you magnificent snow angel, you have raised the bar, you luminescent northern light.

I haven't played a ton of games as I have no real life friends, but I'm going to list out as many as I can anyways!!

And I'll probably only get a few from that image, but I'm super excited to do my best.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:53 AM
-ryn

Quote:
I'm going to name game names, but only name games that don't exist, piss on your rules, grand-paw
  1. The Lost Catamaran
  2. When All You Need Is a Knife
  3. Eureka: Kemistry Kreationz for Kidz
  4. Don't Fuck the Gargoyle!
  5. Ten Brides for Temujin
  6. Bringing in the Sheaves: Settling the Deseret Canaan
  7. Lunch-splosion!!!!
  8. The Pacification of Hispaniola (Semper Fi! Series vol. XII)
  9. Advanced Kon Tiki
  10. Flash Crash Trader
I need to sign up for a kickstarter account real quick...
Old 03-22-2017, 01:23 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
And finally, one other possibly contentious rule that I'd no doubt get questions about if I didn't specify: different versions/sets/editions of a game should not be distinct entries. Yes yes, I know, some games can vary wildly from one release to the next, but this is a broad enough category that I'd rather not have several spots taken up by the same game. In such cases, please just pick your favourite and note that with your vote, and I'll provide a version breakdown in the relevant results post. Or average out how you feel about the different releases, if you prefer. Just note that if I get any lists with multiple entries for different versions of the same game, I'll just take the point value of your highest instance of that game and ignore the others.
This largely fixes my misgivings about RPGs being included, so good.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Is there not one thing

Please look forward to Don't Fuck the Gargoyle!, the first in the Don't Fuck the... game series from VigourCo. Our motto is "Games."
Old 03-22-2017, 02:01 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

I know what my top 2 are going to be but I'm not sure about the rest yet. Although now I feel like we should all put Don't Fuck the Gargoyle! at #1 because it would obviously be the best.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:05 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I know what my top 2 are going to be but I'm not sure about the rest yet. Although now I feel like we should all put Don't Fuck the Gargoyle! at #1 because it would obviously be the best.
New rule: the nominated games have to actually exist.

So what I'm saying is ya'll better pool together and talk to Ample about angel investing ASAP.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:16 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
New rule: the nominated games have to actually exist.
Thankfully, a real version of the Cones of Dunshire was produced. I'm golden.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:14 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
But what it I *do* want to fuck the gargoyle?
Then you lose.

Quote:
Please look forward to Don't Fuck the Gargoyle!, the first in the Don't Fuck the... game series from VigourCo. Our motto is "Games."
Will one of the later licensed games in the series be Don't Fuck the Marsellus Wallace!?
Old 03-22-2017, 07:46 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Old 03-23-2017, 07:26 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Will one of the later licensed games in the series be Don't Fuck the Marsellus Wallace!?
Industry sources have informed me that Marcellus Wallace don't like to be fucked by anyone except Mrs. Wallace, so that project is on indefinite hiatus.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:28 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Well you're not going to attract any investors that way.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:29 AM
Is there not one thing

Put me down as surprised and a little disappointed that Ten Brides for Temujin: The Game of Courtly Seduction on the Wild Steppes didn't get more traction here on the The Return of Talking Time forums.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:38 AM
forbidden noise

i'm close to the final draft of my list and am now considering the numerological significance of each position

(except #1, because really, there's only one thing that i can put there)
Old 03-23-2017, 12:47 PM
Bertolli?!?...

This afternoon puts us up to 6 lists received so far, and I am already surprised and delighted. Will the next submission be you?

Old 03-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Jbear - clarification does the if you nominate one version of the game you nominate all versions of the game count for Legacy style games?

Like I'm not a Risk player but I am a Risk Legacy player.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Jbear - clarification does the if you nominate one version of the game you nominate all versions of the game count for Legacy style games?

Like I'm not a Risk player but I am a Risk Legacy player.
Hrm, that's a good question. The temptation is to let them be distinct, since there's literally only two of them (as the latest Legacy game is not bolted on to an existing game) and they have distinct names, but I think that, in keeping with the rules, they should also be combined. Just note that you're voting for the Legacy version with your vote. Besides, it's not as if I'd be able to discuss the Legacy versions much in the results post without it being one giant spoiler, so wrapping in the base games will give me something to talk about.

Tags
a throne of games , don't fuck the gargoyle!