The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 02-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhof View Post
There are plenty of good stories in comics based around bands performing music on the page: Jen Van Meter's Hopeless Savages, Kathleen Jacques' Band vs. Band, or even IDW's Jem & The Holograms.
And I don't know if it is your cup of tea, but Beck is an awesome manga (though it did eventually get a soundtrack through its anime adaptation).
Old 02-23-2017, 04:56 PM
d.o_o.b

The nice thing about a comic like Beck is that when they tell you how good the band is you can just accept it. With the anime it just becomes... oh... oh no...
Old 02-23-2017, 06:21 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I'm really curious how a story based around music works in a medium like comics.
The fact that the media are so unlike each other has been specifically cited by Gillen as a motivation for doing the comic. He and McKelvie took the famous "writing about music is like dancing about architecture" line as a challenge.

Anyway, Phonogram is really good. My favourite is the third volume, The Immaterial Girl, but The Singles Club is definitely the right place to start.

Also, I was dumb and forgot to submit a list. If I had remembered, Phonogram definitely would have placed higher.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:05 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Aww man, I forgot Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe
Did he save it from Fred Hembeck?
Old 02-23-2017, 08:41 PM
Not a Beer

Ok, time to plunge on in. The first entry in the Top 50 proper (well, 51 because tie) is... yup, a superhero crossover arc!

#50 (tie) The Infinity Gauntlet
Mentions: 4, Points: 59
Writer: Jim Starlin, Artists: George Pérez, Ron Lim
Genre: Superhero Cosmic Crossover
Publication: six-issue limited series, July-Dec 1991
Chances of being made into a summer blockbuster: turns out better than we thought

Who would've thought that a Silver Surfer spin-off would go on to become the mythology on which a billion-dollar cinematic empire was built? This is where the Infinity Gems first came together (having been collected in the preceding Thanos Quest) allowing Thanos to erase half the universe and defeat the likes of Galactus, some Celestials, most of the Avengers, and, well.. pretty much everyone. Serious shenanigans are required to take him down.

Random trivia: An all-ages re-telling of the story featuring Spider-Man, the Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine, and Doctor Doom was published in 2010 written by Brian Clevinger. That's right, the 8-bit Theater guy. I had meant to check it out but never got around to it. (Then there's yet another recent version as part of 2015's Secret Wars.) Meanwhile, two of Capcom's Marvel Super Heroes games are also based on this story arc.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:46 PM
#deadfish2017

Why is it good?
Old 02-23-2017, 09:19 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Why is it good?
Ask (*consults notes.........*) Zodar, Zef, Rascally Badger, and Büge?
Old 02-23-2017, 09:19 PM
Not a Beer

Meanwhile coming in with the same point total but one more vote we have... another superhero? Wait, why is the best superhero way down here?

#50 (tie) The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
Mentions: 5, Points: 59
Writer: Ryan North, Artist: Erica Henderson, Original Creators: Will Murray and Steve Ditko
Genre: Superhero Comedy
Publication: Ongoing monthly, Jan 2015 -
Abilities: Agility, Strength, Claws, Squirrel Friends, Can't Be Beat

Hey, it's that Dinosaur Comics guy.

But anyway, Squirrel Girl - she's friends with squirrels and will beat any super-villain you throw at her. In her first story of this series she fought of Kraven, Whiplash, and... Galactus. Because why not. In her original incarnation she first beat up Doctor Doom to save Iron Man, and then was a member of the Great Lakes Avengers. She's now apparently a member of the New Avengers, aka the Avengers Idea Mechanics (because AIM?) in the All-New All-Different Marvel line-up, but I'm not even going to pretend to understand how Marvel's team-up timelines work.

Best collected volume title: I Kissed a Squirrel and I Liked It (Runner-up: Squirrel You Know It's True)
Old 02-23-2017, 09:41 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Why is it good?
It was the first big Marvel mash-up reset since Secre Wars? So probably the first one people my age (35) would have been old enough to understand but still young enough to think was amazing.

I mean the literal story is sad goth man wants to destroy the universe because he can't get a girlfriend. It's basically What if 4chan ruled the world fanfic...
Old 02-23-2017, 09:42 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

She eats nuts and kicks butts!
Old 02-23-2017, 10:21 PM
who's she

It didn't quite make my list but Infinity Gauntlet is a good read. It's peak Jim Starlin at a point when that still seemed like a new and exciting prospect, and the art is very good. You get Thanos tearing apart Marvel's cosmic beings, and in the most memorable chapter, wiping out all the heroes as well. And the resolution is even pretty satisfying, even with the inevitable reset button that brings all those dead heroes back to life. One of the few "event" comics that lives up to the hype, and maybe the best from Marvel.

Squirrel Girl is the only current comic I read every month. It can be a little too cutesy and self-aware but it's got heart and humor and I will read anything by Ryan North. Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe is a good introduction, and includes a chart detailing the ideal sequence to defeat every Marvel hero and villain in order to use their powers against each other, with notes like "Stilt-Man -> Stilt-legs allow squirrels to be dropped on -> The Red Skull"
Old 02-23-2017, 10:37 PM
King Of Space-Time

I wrestled with including The Infinity Gauntlet on my list. Glad to see it ranked regardless.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:16 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Squirrel Girl is soooo twee and irritating

Also the art sucks sorry for dumping on it

Glad it's barely scraped the list, I was concerned it would hit no. 1 or something

Edit: But I did enjoy the same team on Jughead

Edit 2: Wow this really is a crummy post. Just gonna leave it up as a monument to the worst of message board correspondence.

Last edited by madhair60; 02-24-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:18 AM
-ryn

I presume she's singing to the tune of spiderman's theme song. Because if you're going to make up a theme song on the spot, its just perfect. As proof, I cite "Spider-Pig" from the Simpsons Movie and "Married Man" from the John Boy and Billy Big Show.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:07 AM
It's all good, man

I think usually we use vote total as a tie-breaker if there's a tie in points, but it would be kinda unfair for a book to miss the list based on that.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:44 AM
Not a Beer

I was going with "tie in rank number, but the one with more votes gets placed higher on the list (i.e. later in the thread)". Seems fair.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:03 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

I'm surprised Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is so low-- I was sure it would make it a decent ways into the list, instead of just scraping on. But I'm glad it made it, nonetheless.

USG is a gift. It would have been easy for a Squirrel Girl solo book to be a self-aware parody, but North resisted that route and instead crafted something unique and special. Doreen's greatest asset has always been her unconventional tactics, but North has extended that into a deep sense of compassion. Here is a corner of the Marvel universe where problems are more likely to be solved not through punches, but sympathy and understanding. It's the friendliest, most optimistic book out there-- and it works.

It's also hilarious. It is very much a North book, down to sneaking commentary into the margins. I didn't expect to see him translate the alt-text into a physical format, but I'm glad he did. USG is brimming with laughs.

Henderson's art is great. I'll admit it took me some warming up to, but it quickly became apparent how perfect a complement her art is to to North's writing: silly and offbeat but loaded with character (Rico Renzi, the colourist, also deserves props for bringing it to life). To my mind, Henderson has become the definitive artist for the character (have you seen Doreen under someone else's pen? It's strange). She also deserves huge props for her excellent redesign of the character (I love those uggs... they're so bad).
Old 02-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
It didn't quite make my list but Infinity Gauntlet is a good read. It's peak Jim Starlin at a point when that still seemed like a new and exciting prospect, and the art is very good. You get Thanos tearing apart Marvel's cosmic beings, and in the most memorable chapter, wiping out all the heroes as well. And the resolution is even pretty satisfying, even with the inevitable reset button that brings all those dead heroes back to life. One of the few "event" comics that lives up to the hype, and maybe the best from Marvel.
One thing I noticed in later Starlin stories was his reliance on "twists" that required a character to grind the narrative to a halt with their explanation. In some cases, like the execrable Infinity Abyss, it was the narration.

So basically, The Infinity Gauntlet was Starlin's last, best Cosmic Marvel story.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:17 AM
Mystery Contraption

Secret Wars was also pretty good, if you make allowances for some characters acting wildly out of character, and contradicting themselves constantly.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:18 PM
Not a Beer

#48 (tie) The Wicked + The Divine
Mentions: 3, Points: 60
Writer/Creator: Kieron Gillen, Artist/Creator: Jamie McKelvie
Genre: Modern Mythology
Publication: Ongoing monthly, June 2014 - present
Lighting cigs with flames from your fingertips: still cool if you're too immortal for cancer

The Gillen/McKelvie duo is back already, and this series also draws inspiration from pop music, but this time it focuses on a whole host of deities drawn from a dozen different cultures who inhabit ordinary mortals' bodies on a 90-year cycle of death and reincarnation. When incarnated, they get fame and powers, but are fated to live for not more than two years past their awakening. The series won Best Comic at the 2014 British Comic Awards, was nominated for the 2015 Eisners, and is widely regarded for its diverse cast.

I've heard tons of good things about this book and honestly it sounds like extremely my jam, so I really should get around to reading it some time. Especially since I think my wife already bought the first several volumes.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Not a Beer

#48 (tie) Hawkeye (Fraction run)
Mentions: 4, Points: 60
Writer: Matt Fractrion, Artist: David Aja, Original Creator: Stan Lee
Genre: Superhero Mess
Publication: Limited series, August 2012 - March 2015
Abilities: Good at shootin', not good at life

It's Hawguy! AKA Clint Barton, sometimes-Avenger and general mess. In this series he's on break from his formal superheroing duties, bumming around an apartment building he owns while failing to get his life together, occasionally defending it from a tracksuited Russian mafia gang who call everyone Bro and other assorted baddies. He also hangs out with Kate Bishop, AKA Hawkeye, who tries to help out but has her own life-getting-together issues.

The series has won several Eisner and harvey awards, pretty much oozes style, and is willing to take a lot of risks for a good idea. One entire issue is told from the perspective of Clint's dog, with no dialog but iconography depicting his thoughts and emotions. Clint also spends a couple issues deaf after his ears are damaged in a fight.

(Yeah, this was on my list, and is one of two books to get me to dive into superhero comics over the last few years.)

Last edited by Kirin; 02-24-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:49 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Hawkeye is as good as its reputation suggests. The only reason I didn't vote for it is because I haven't finished it.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:16 PM
It's all good, man

I enjoyed Hawkeye more than I expected. I thought it might just be a meme generator, but it's a fun book on its own merits.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:18 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

WicDiv is excellent and so is Hawkeye
Old 02-25-2017, 02:04 AM
Dinger!

Counterpoint: WicDiv is excellent and Hawkeye is pretty good.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:56 AM
Not a Beer

Meanwhile since you folks were already talking about it anyway I'll just slip this in Saturday afternoon...

#47 Transmetropolitan
Mentions: 4, Points: 61
Writer/Creator: Warren Ellis, Artist/Creator: Darick Robertson
Genre: Cyberpunk Journalism
Publication: Monthly series, 1997-2002
Main character has tattoo literally representing his name on his head: Yes

The tale of a gonzo journalist's fight against a pandering president who gained strength due to ties with extreme right-wing hate groups and uses his power only to hurt people. So, uh, this is a documentary now I guess? Christ.

Anyway, Ellis's cyberpunk tribute to Hunter S Thompson is something I always kind of meant to read, but I'm guessing the constant snark and cynicism in a scenario way too close to home would be a bit much for escapist reading just now...

Last edited by Kirin; 02-25-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:46 PM
D=

Is the Publication date for Transmetropolitan supposed to be a joke or...?

Anyway, only one of these I've read completely so far is Infinity Gauntlet. I liked it overall, but it was really overstuffed, and Thanos's motivations were a little thin. But I did think the ending was pretty great, even though I bet it got overturned like a month later.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Not a Beer

Ahaha, whoop, evidently I copy/pasted that info into the wrong window. Fixed. Also I typo'd "main character" as "mean character" which is kind of true but not intended. I post good today.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Not a Beer

Slow weekend for comics talk eh? Well, let's toss out another:

#46 Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin
Mentions: 3, Points: 62
Writer/Artist: Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, Original Creator: Yoshiyuki Tomino
Genre: Military SF / Space Opera / Mecha
Publication: Manga run in Gundam Ace, June 2001 to June 2011
One does not care to acknowledge: The mistakes of one's youth.

More than just a retelling of the 1979 anime, Origin fills out the original Gundam saga with tons of new backstory, with a particular focus on Char Aznable, nee Casval Rem Deikun. Nominally an antagonist, it's often been argued that his quest for revenge is the main plot driver of the whole series, so it's great to get to see his development. It's not just him, though - Yasuhiko (character designer for the original series) takes the opportunity afforded by this long manga run to to delve into nearly all the familiar characters in ways not seen before. He's also a fantastic draftsman, filling the pages with striking images.

On top of all that, the 12-volume hardcover English edition from Vertical is one of the best manga publications I've ever seen, and some of the nicest feeling books I've held. They're just plain gorgeous.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:21 PM
d.o_o.b

Gundam: The Origin is pretty high on my "I would buy this if I wasn't already collecting half a dozen ongoing series" list.

Tags
comics , demoracy was a mistake , eomecaptcattutcauth , falselogic ruins #1 , graphic novels , lists , manga , meets game of thrones , random hellboy pages , top 50 countdown