The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 03-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
There's also the symbolism of her contributions being literally invisible, despite saving the day just as often as her male teammates' flashier powers.
Oh Jesus.

I grew up in a feminist household, so I always read "Invisible Woman" as just a full codename, with "invisible" being just a descriptor of her power, like all other superhero/ine names. Now I'm reading it as "The Invisible Woman" in the context you provide above and it's blowing my mind.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:34 AM
It's all good, man

Fantastic Four is good
Old 03-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Oh Jesus.

I grew up in a feminist household, so I always read "Invisible Woman" as just a full codename, with "invisible" being just a descriptor of her power, like all other superhero/ine names. Now I'm reading it as "The Invisible Woman" in the context you provide above and it's blowing my mind.
Now think about what's going on with Ben Grimm and his blind girlfriend Alicia, contrasted with iconic FF villains like the Mole Man or Dr. Doom.

Kirby/Lee-era FF is really good on so many levels.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 PM
Oily Butt Thing

research question: is the 1996 Ghost Rider/Ballistic one-shot the first instance of someone using Ghost Rider's head to light a cigarette?

I have to believe someone would have thought of the gag at some earlier point, but then again so few Marvel characters smoked back in the day that maybe there was never an opportunity. I can imagine Wolverine using him to light a cigar but I don't know of a specific instance.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:36 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
research question: is the 1996 Ghost Rider/Ballistic one-shot the first instance of someone using Ghost Rider's head to light a cigarette?
Geez, and I thought my citing of the two Batman / Punisher crossovers was going to take the cake for wackiest 90s Marvel crossover reference of the week.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:39 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Geez, and I thought my citing of the two Batman / Punisher crossovers was going to take the cake for wackiest 90s Marvel crossover reference of the week.
It's a story I'm fond of from way back. Warren Ellis dedicated it "to Mark Gruenwald, who probably would have hated it, but he did ask me to write it."
Old 03-22-2017, 07:40 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:

I have to believe someone would have thought of the gag at some earlier point, but then again so few Marvel characters smoked back in the day that maybe there was never an opportunity. I can imagine Wolverine using him to light a cigar but I don't know of a specific instance.
Seems like something they would have done with Wolverine and a cigar during the crossover in the early 90s, but I guess they were too busy fighting not-Xenomorphs to have time for a smoke.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:57 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Seems like something they would have done with Wolverine and a cigar during the crossover in the early 90s, but I guess they were too busy fighting not-Xenomorphs to have time for a smoke.
Probably would've been Gambit in that particular story.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:11 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
It's a story I'm fond of from way back. Warren Ellis dedicated it "to Mark Gruenwald, who probably would have hated it, but he did ask me to write it."
Sounds about right. Although who knows why Marvel deigned to run a crossover with a random member of one of Image's C-teams.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Find Your Reason

Isn't Ghost Rider shrouded in literal Hellfire? Wouldn't a cigar/ette lit with it give you even worse cancer?
Old 03-22-2017, 10:26 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Isn't Ghost Rider shrouded in literal Hellfire? Wouldn't a cigar/ette lit with it give you even worse cancer?
Two negatives make a positive.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:10 PM

That's why Ghost Rider vapes now.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:24 PM
Oily Butt Thing

he doesn't even need to vape, he just sorta pours the goop on his face and it instantly sublimates

actually has anyone ever done a joke where ghost rider drives through a giant field of weed
Old 03-25-2017, 08:22 AM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
he doesn't even need to vape, he just sorta pours the goop on his face and it instantly sublimates

actually has anyone ever done a joke where ghost rider drives through a giant field of weed
Sorta. Paul Kirchner's Dope Rider comic was really something. He's still doing 'em (as seen here), but the 70s and 80s ones are the best. The new ones feel a little forced.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:57 PM
so exciting!

Mods rename this thread to Marvel Comics is bad at their job
Old 03-31-2017, 03:59 PM
ePona: Horse Ride Sharing

Marvel: *makes captain america a nazi collaborator*
Also Marvel: WHY AREN'T PEOPLE BUYING OUR DIVERSITY
Old 03-31-2017, 04:13 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Meanwhile, people were buying their diversity and not buying their anything else.

Marvel: Who knew numbers are hard?
Old 03-31-2017, 05:16 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Also Marvel: We're gonna start selling $10 comic books
Old 03-31-2017, 05:18 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Also Marvel: We're gonna start selling $10 comic books
Also also Marvel: We're going big into major cross over events, and also we're going to spoil the outcomes of those events literally before they start while we're hyping up series we're launching six months from now
Old 03-31-2017, 05:43 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Also also Marvel: We're going big into major cross over events, and also we're going to spoil the outcomes of those events literally before they start while we're hyping up series we're launching six months from now
Also Marvel: we're rebooting the numbering every five months to get people to buy more #1s.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:28 PM
Is there not one thing

The last time I walked into a comic shop to buy something for my wife I waited ~12 weeks for something I could have had in 48 hours from Amazon. The floppies market is completely broken.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:37 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Meanwhile, people were buying their diversity and not buying their anything else.
To be fair, the success of their diversity was somewhat oversold. What people were really buying was their Star Wars.

ample vigour has it right however: more or less diversity or Star Wars or nazis or crossovers or cheap comics or expensive comics cannot save the floppy monthly comics business. it is designed to slowly contract until the last dude with a pull bag at a specialty comic shop strokes out and dies in 2032.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:51 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
To be fair, the success of their diversity was somewhat oversold. What people were really buying was their Star Wars.
colin spacetwinks made a good point on the twitter by showing how the marvel properties - diversity titles or not - are dead in the water when it comes to monthly floppy sales. I know my wife enjoys reading Ms Marvel and Transformers, to the extent that she picks up a paperback on Amazon when the spirit moves her. That strikes me as a reasonable level of brand engagement from an older millennial - the last generation that is even aware there are such things as comic stores.

I have no idea what Diamond's next move is. Are they counting on Sven's kids buying a few million in product every week? Because I can't think of anyone else making sure their seed is conversant with Previews.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:54 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I have no idea what Diamond's next move is.
you happen to be sharing that boat with a bunch of old men in Olive Branch, Mississippi.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:58 PM
Is there not one thing

I bet it's been a few weeks since I said this last so:

The obvious move is to a Shonen Jump style anthology weekly sold dirt cheap that focuses on continuity-lite (or -free) all-ages stories built around the versions of the characters people know from the movies or broader cultural osmosis. Spin off a number of miniseries focused on specific teams or characters, ideally timed to coincide with the next big movie/television/toy release.

This isn't far off the model Disney used for literally decades outside the US, and all they ever did with it was make money hand over fist.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:07 PM
Oily Butt Thing

I gotta wonder how many career-minded youngsters in both the Warner and Disney organizations are putting their spare time into coming up with notions of how to cull the direct-market business and replace it with something that isn't 20 years out of date. You figure there's some potential for advancement in selling the bosses a plan that starts with, "What we're doing now is stupid. Here is a better way."
Old 03-31-2017, 09:11 PM

That they're framing this as "diversity doesn't sell" just shows how out-of-touch the company is. Marvel's diversity slate surely brought them new (and lapsed) readers; the kind of readers who get confused or frustrated when the annual crossover event upends the book(s) they were following.

I'm not saying nothing should change, but the way it's happening now is alienating readers. Consider: when the book you're reading suddenly gets relaunched at #1 and leaves you wondering what this actually means, that feels like homework; or when the book suddenly loses supporting characters as a result of some event you're not even reading, it feels like the company doesn't actually care about the one you are reading. So why bother?

Last edited by conchobhar; 03-31-2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: some rewording
Old 03-31-2017, 09:30 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Especially when the cross-over event is "Carol is a high-strung authoritarian tyrant and the rich white dude is the only one who can stop her". Like wow.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:39 PM
ePona: Horse Ride Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
This isn't far off the model Disney used for literally decades outside the US, and all they ever did with it was make money hand over fist.
Shit, if I can get my Donald Duck comics (aren't they bringing back DuckTales? fuck a duck, they're fucking crazy!) in the same phone book as Captain America I am fucking down for that
Old 03-31-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Especially when the cross-over event is "Carol is a high-strung authoritarian tyrant and the rich white dude is the only one who can stop her". Like wow.
Yeaaaah. Marvel might be able to justify this event-centric meta-narrative if those events were any good, but they aren't. Crossovers lose their appeal when the characters stop acting like themselves and start acting in service to the story. I can only imagine how poorly Civil War II went over for Carol fans.

Tags
excelsior! , marvel , super heroes