The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 10-24-2014, 03:25 PM
You blockhead

Default Apprentice: A Pathfinder Campaign

Once, eons ago in a distant land called Albion, there brooded a college student who would one day inflict himself upon the internet under the name “Solitayre.” This student had long fancied himself to write something, but alas he was very irritable and easily discouraged and rarely wrote anything of note.

But then one day Solitayre discovered a program called RPG Maker which allowed even an incompetent malcontent such as himself to craft an RPG if he so chose. And Solitayre explored this program, and over time, the various ideas and themes and characters that had lain dormant in his mind for nearly two decades began to coalesce into a form. A universe.

Many years later I never did make anything of that game (though I did make a few other cool games with some rad people), so now I have chosen to turn that universe onto you hapless adventurers foolish enough to venture within.

The land of Encerai, where it's cold, the sun never shines, and everyone is an asshole because there aren't enough cool hats to go around.

A land scarred by magic and eldritch power countless times in its history.

Once, a wizard scarred the sky to forever be lifeless and gray.

Once proud cities now lay overrun with the living dead.

Unfathomable fey creatures stalk the forests and wilder places of the world, making sport of any foolish enough to enter their realm unbidden.

Blight after blight fell upon the land by one ruthless or misguided sorcerer after another. In time, the people grew to fear and mistrust magic and any who wielded it. Ever generations that fear has blossomed into hatred and resentment, ever boiling beneath the surface of every city. In time, those gifted or cursed with magic were driven underground, driven from their families, forced to abandon their way of life when they discovered their heritage.

Some mages try to work for the betterment of society and foster understanding. Others turn to fell power, unraveling the darkest mysteries of the arcane and unleashing unimaginable terror in revenge against the society that wronged them as the cycle repeats endlessly.

The fragile republic which maintains peace in the land is beginning to crumble under the strain of corrupt and decadent nobles vying for power against one another while fear, hatred and resentment among the populace turns kin against kin and neighbor against neighbor. It is into this land that you have chosen to enter for some reason.

Will you choose to rebel against this corrupt and decadent society that chooses hatred over understanding? Or will you seek out the corrupting taint of magic and stamp it out forever before yet another great disaster befalls the land?

The choice is yours.

Welcome to Encerai. It's always winter here.

Rules for Character Creation:
Starting Level: 4
Starting Wealth: 6,000 GP
20 Point Stat Buy
2 Traits
HD Progression:Max at level 1 + 3/4 HD per subsequent level?

Current Players
aturtledoesbite (Roland, Undead Paladin)
LaularuKyrumo (Calandra, Human Arcanist)
Lucas (Wandomi, Human Dominatrix Monk)
PrivateJoker (Tharzak, Orc Shaman)
Rebelfire (Morris, Gnome Barbarian/Bloodrager)

Wicked GM of the West
Solitayre

IRC #Aperture-Science on EsperNet on Sundays at 6 PM EST

Mostly though Lucas was going stir-crazy not having a place to talk about this.

Last edited by Solitayre; 03-01-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Are You Sure About That?

What's the schedule?
Old 10-24-2014, 03:29 PM
You blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
What's the schedule?
To be determined, but right now, probably Sundays at, oh, say, 6 or 7 PM EST?

Last edited by Solitayre; 10-26-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Sigh, maybe once I graduate in a few months, and a get a new job so I can have weekends off.

It would be so nice.

Though, really, I shouldn't have said anything because I am busy as fuck right now.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Safe Space

Aw fudge. I was hoping to get in on this one too, but that time's no good for me, either.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:37 PM
You blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Aw fudge. I was hoping to get in on this one, but that time's no good for me.
I am open to negotiation!
Old 10-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Mondays are about the only free time slot I've got left at this point. I'm usually free after 2:30 PM CST on those days.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:24 PM
hi there

I can do Mondays, but I'm not free until two hours after Blue just said.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:38 PM
Banned

every other monday i'm free all day, but the other ones i'm not free until after 7:30pm EST
Old 10-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Safe Space

Friday and Saturday nights are the best options for me.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:47 PM
You blockhead

Saturday nights are out for me as that's when Wormrider's Persona campaign runs.

Friday or Sunday nights are best for me, I don't mind doing a weekday evening but it can be a little dicey if I need to stay late at work, as my commute can be horrific sometimes.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I work swing shift, so I can only do weekends. Granted, I am pretty close to quitting this job out of sheer disgust, so....

Also, I call evil monk!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:18 PM
You blockhead

Yeah you guys can talk about your characters or whatever. I'm developing NPCs as we speak.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I'm really going back and forth on the Wanderer archetype. On the one hand, giving up my starting bonus feat for extra languages or a weapon proficiency is kind of really bleh (assuming Solitayre doesn't make language proficiencies really important in this campaign, anyway). And I'm kind of meh on both High Jump and Inscrutable.

Using Wanderer's Wisdom to dispense bonuses via evil aphorisms would be pretty great, though:

"Remember that these men we fight are mere peasants, inconsequential insects the greatest of which shall be remembered with only a brief line in our history!"

"It's times like these I remember what my father figure would say to me. He'd say, 'give a man a fish and he will return to you the next day, hungry, willing to work for another fish, and grateful to you for even giving him the chance. But teach a man to fish and he will be gone from your life forever, denying in the arrogance of his independence the debt he owes you.' I think you can see where I'm going with this."

Oh yeah, Solitayre - the Hamatulatsu Master description says the character has to be female, but do you (or anyone here) care about that requirement?
Old 10-25-2014, 04:54 AM
You blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Oh yeah, Solitayre - the Hamatulatsu Master description says the character has to be female, but do you (or anyone here) care about that requirement?
Not particularly, though I do think it's neat flavor-wise, and believe it or not an all-female monastic order already exists in this setting so I kind of thought it fit really well.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Banned

My character is an Orc (playing under Half-Orc rules, but he's a full blooded Orc) Shaman. He praises the spirit of Battle. He'll be a relatively powerful caster, really powerful debuffer, an "always useful to have around" healer, and a pretty decent close quarters fighter. Shamans are a cool class that you can make pretty well rounded.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:57 AM
Banned

I was talking to Sol about character creation, and I asked him about how to decide HP. We both think rolling dice and getting random HP values is stupid, but we both also think always taking max hit dice every level is a little too good. I think rolling, and always taking at least half your hit die is reasonable, but it's still random, which is kinda blegh. Like, a Barbarian who rolled badly shouldn't get the same hp as a Wizard who rolled well.

What do you guys think? How would you like to see it handled?
Old 10-25-2014, 09:26 AM
hi there

Maybe some kind of weighted average, like 3/4 of max, might work?

Also, my character so far.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Maybe some kind of weighted average, like 3/4 of max, might work?

Also, my character so far.
That's something I was considering too. 3/4 is actually exactly what I was thinking. The only issue I see is for d6 characters. 6 isn't divisible by 4, so you can't get 3/4. You have to round it to either 4 or 5, which kind of leaves them with either too little, or too much... maybe give d6 characters 4 on odd levels, and 5 on even ones or something? That.. actually evens it out exactly, if I'm not mistaken. D10s have the same issue, solved in the same way by doing 7 on odd and 8 on even levels.

Also, here's my character sheet

Last edited by PrivateJoker; 10-25-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Banned

So.. so far our party consists of characters who are Lawful Evil, Lawful Neutral, and Lawful Good?

I like it. It's weird.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:48 AM
hi there

Just to make sure my math's right, then, for my 4d10 HD Paladin, that'd be 10 (first HD) +8+7+8 for 33 HP, plus CON (or rather, CHA) bonuses, right?

EDIT: Also, Sol, does my race confer any sort of DR/bludgeoning, or no?

EDIT2: I find it funny that, because of my armor and ability scores, the only skills I have a positive modifier in are the CHA skills.

Last edited by aturtledoesbite; 10-25-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Banned

i guess it depends on whether we round the half values up or down. The way I said it actually rounds up, which I did on accident. It should probably round down, but it doesn't really matter. It always evens out, and it'd only change your hp value by 1 point on any given level, and it only effects the even levels.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:15 PM
hi there

I probably want the extra point, anyway, considering the whole "destroyed at 0 HP" clause.

...I probably want a few extra points (i.e., favored class bonuses and Toughness feat), but hey, stupid decisions are how you get into Fun situations, anyway!
Old 10-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Banned

you.. just disintegrate if you reach 0 HP? I mean, my dude has pretty good Heal skill, and I plan on having the Stabilize orison at the ready.. and those things are of no use to you?

The price you pay for being undead.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:31 PM
You blockhead

Quote:
EDIT: Also, Sol, does my race confer any sort of DR/bludgeoning, or no?
I hope not.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateJoker View Post
I was talking to Sol about character creation, and I asked him about how to decide HP. We both think rolling dice and getting random HP values is stupid, but we both also think always taking max hit dice every level is a little too good. I think rolling, and always taking at least half your hit die is reasonable, but it's still random, which is kinda blegh. Like, a Barbarian who rolled badly shouldn't get the same hp as a Wizard who rolled well.

What do you guys think? How would you like to see it handled?
A friend of mine who runs a lot of campaigns tends to use as a house rule that you only roll for half your HP per level (IE, a class with a HD of 1d12 gets 6+1d6 HP per level), and that the first 3 levels are always at max.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:18 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateJoker View Post
you.. just disintegrate if you reach 0 HP? I mean, my dude has pretty good Heal skill, and I plan on having the Stabilize orison at the ready.. and those things are of no use to you?

The price you pay for being undead.
There's a reason I'm putting my skill points in UMD and keeping an inflict wand on-hand.

Shame I can't take Versatile Channeling. Oh well.

Let's see. I still need to pick a god (Sol, I might need your help with that concerning how religion works in Encerai) and form a background, but other than that, I think I'm done.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:30 PM
You blockhead

The most prominent "religion" in Encerai worships an entity called "Providence" which more closely resembles the concept of "Fate" than an actual god. The basic tenants of the religion are that all things have a purpose, everything happen for a reason, and it is all part of Providence's plan. Some mages who call themselves Seers claim to be able to view Providence's plan and essentially see the future.

Aside from that there are some animistic spirit gods that some people pay homage to. There are some differences in the fine print but they're fundamentally similar to the spirits that the orc tribes worship.

The most common of these are Asbjorn the bear god who rules all animals, who sleeps in a great forest and awakens from time to time to participate in great battles, and the Firebird who is said to have destroyed the land once, long ago, and will do so again when the time comes for the world to end.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
There's a reason I'm putting my skill points in UMD and keeping an inflict wand on-hand.

Shame I can't take Versatile Channeling. Oh well.

Let's see. I still need to pick a god (Sol, I might need your help with that concerning how religion works in Encerai) and form a background, but other than that, I think I'm done.
I should be able to at least assist with keeping you in shape. I was planning on keeping some CLW slots prepared, but I can split those up to keep some ILW on hand as well.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:02 PM
hi there

That's if you even realize he's a skeleton. Full plate, as the adjective suggests, completely covers him.

Tags
1000 foot pile drive , beady little gnome eyes , can't defeat airman , faffer , free falling , jailbreak , orc racism , pathfinder , penalty for being bard , rip calandra in piece , war on birds , what are birds?