The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 04-16-2017, 09:31 AM
We just don't know.

In my campaign, we have the DM (male), me (likewise), and the other two players are women. I do end up reminding the other players about their abilities pretty often... but also the DM because I'm the kind of guy who can't remember what day of the week it is but seems to have every goddamn class ability and spell and in the book memorized. :| Also our other players actually do forget what they can do pretty often. I just reminded our paladin about her channel divinity and how many spell slots she had and she was like WHAT GODDAMMIT I COULD BE DOING SO MUCH MORE since she's basically been playing like a fighter who has Hunter's Mark.

Our ranger has used a couple good spells and a Rust Bag o' Tricks well before, and same thing, now and then I'll be like "hey this might be a good time to use spike growth, what do you think?" and she'll be like OH YEAH! I have that! But we also just need to find her some better spells to use now and then because most of the time the ones she has end up not being all that useful. She used to use rain of arrows now and then, and spike growth a few times, but most of the other spells she does have are kinda... not that useful. (Anyone got any good ideas for ranger spells?) She mainly stands back and plinks away with her power longbow (or whatever it's called when you take the hit penalty for the extra damage) and horde breaker and does a ton of damage.

But also the main thing is that I'm, y'know, not an asshole and always do so in a supportive/friendly/reminder way and never condescendingly (I hope). As a gamer and a man who has more female friends than male at least in my current area, and who gets absolutely livid at sexist bullshit, I like to think I'm very careful about and try to be better than that. But this has inspired me to post in the group and check in to make sure I'm not rubbing anyone the wrong way, so thank y'all!

In the meantime, we're currently helping some lizardfolk rid themselves of some witches that have polluted their sacred wells and magically enslaved them. I got a cool magic weapon! I'm happy to finally have a better weapon since I def. do a decent amount of fighting, but it's also not really Me. I'm a tempest cleric, and this is a +1 shortsword made of bone that adds cumulative wounds to the target (1d6+1 damage; each time it hits an enemy they take a Wound, and at the beginning of their turn they take 1d4 necrotic (I think) damage for each Wound they have.) I mean, it's good, it's an improvement over my plain old warhammer, or my magical battle axe that didn't have any bonuses except +1d8 against plant-type targets. But flavorwise it doesn't feel quite right.

Also, the blacksmith at our home base town is currently making me a special warhammer. It'll use the tail stinger from the wyvern we killed as the spike on the back for bonus poison damage, and will also incorporate my wand of the war mage into it so I get my +1 to spell attack rolls without switching stuff around (not that he's ever been a stickler for stuff like that. I don't even have it on me right now but I still get the bonus. Our paladin turned in her +1 breastplate for an armor upgrade and the DM was like "uh... here, he lends you some splint mail in the meantime" because he didn't want her AC to go down).
Old 04-16-2017, 10:49 AM
Satanic Mechanic

Right, there's a line between supporting the other party members' enjoyment and playing over them. I'm inclined to think you're not doing the latter, but it's certainly a good idea to communicate about it and make sure everyone's on the same page.

I see the "power player" thing go on a lot in cooperative board games like Pandemic, which is one reason I'm not always enthusiastic to play those.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:21 PM

Lightning Arrow is one of my favorite Ranger spells. It basically turns an arrow into a Javelin of Lightning/small Lightning Bolt spell. With Horde Breaker it can either be godlike or obviate the benefit of Horde Breaker depending on if things close to your target survive the lightning. For all I know though this could be well ahead of your level range. Hail of Thorns is great, Spike Growth can be useful, Protection from Poison won't see a ton of use with a Paladin around but can be clutch in case the Paladin goes down and saves money on Anti-Toxin vials if your party finds themselves needing those. Silence and Pass Without a Trace are great for big stealthy endeavors, though being in the Silence will prevent your Ranger from using a lot of her spells. Cure Wounds is just generally a good idea to have in case things really take a bad turn.

Ranger's got a ton of versatility and options considering it's still also a martial class, it's just hard to remember all of them.

And in my group's campaign, up until this point we've been more or less following the earliest and worst campaign book for 5th Edition, Hoard of the Dragon Queen. The DM has been doing an absolutely admirable job of filling it with interesting things and spacing out the constant need to GO NOW, NOW, FASTER, GO that the book wants. But now the DM has decided he's doing so much custom work to flesh out the path that he may as well start turning it into his own world and he just pulled a Rom on us. Baited us super hard into a Bad End kind of situation that... just wow. We had a scene after taking the bait where this music was playing in my head the whole time. Then because of certain factions and NPCs we're involved with it pulled both me and the other player way deeper into that to try and start the groundwork to prepare for what's going to happen in the future.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Are You Sure About That?

5e Ranger is sort of the martial equivalent of the 5e Warlock, though it's less plug-and-play than Warlock is, yeah.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:50 PM
Inherently Stealthy

5e Ranger has a few problems. The Beastmaster subclass is total trash. Most of its class features are actually found in its spell list, and are miss-able if you don't look closely at all the spells available at a level. And it's a martial class that doesn't get a bonus ASI, so if you're playing with Feats you will perform noticeably less well than anyone playing a Fighter or Rogue unless you variant human for your combat feat. (Probably Sharpshooter)
Old 04-19-2017, 11:38 AM
Crabjörn

It sounds like a lot of people here are thinking of running a game, so if 4e was on anyone's plate I once again want to recommend trying Strike RPG in its stead.

But it also looks like 5e and Pathfinder are more likely. More power to you, I suppose!
Old 04-19-2017, 01:55 PM
is Earnest

I'm leaning toward 5e because it's the one I'm most familiar with and it's easy for new players to pick up.

I started working on a map and keying in some hexes for the West Marches campaign. I also started to work on a one-shot, but I realized that it would have a different design sensibility from the hex crawl, so I think I'm gonna scrap it. So far my plan for West Marches is to give the players a mostly blank map and award XP for discovering landmarks and clearing treasure rooms in addition to combat. I'll start a thread to organize things, and all shopping, leveling up, and preparation can take place in there, and players can get inspiration for sharing info between sessions. I'll probably need a few more weeks of planning, but once everything is in place I should be able to run sessions on the fly.

And, yesterday we played a session of D&D at my place. One of our players was out of the country, but the other two decided to forge ahead a bit. The last time they had made it to a desert outpost where they cleared out some giant scorpions and a wyvern. This time they were lured out of the outpost by some telepathic messages, and a pair of Mezzoloths teleported in behind them and started knocking out their band of halflings. They had a rad fight, survived Cloudkill, and the rogue ended up with a pair of +2 shortswords and a few beads of force, and they got some hints about the BBEG. They rolled high on survival checks, so they were able to make it most of the way to the ruined city where the dragon lives. They got a lay of the land, then holed up in an old barracks. Right at the end of the session they found someone in a jail cell, and it turned out to be Hob, the guy who was on a wanted poster way back in our very first session. They never followed up on him, and he ended up traveling here to retrieve an artifact, but was captured by Kobolds. The session ended before they had a chance to talk to him much, but he will definitely have a lot of info that he's willing to trade with the party for their help.

Next session: dealing with Kobolds, some other Yugoloths who are visiting the dragon, and probably some kind of huge fight!
Old 04-19-2017, 05:21 PM
Remembers Love

Starting to put together my Half-Orc Paladin. My first big question is if I should stick with the OG Pali, or try a Oathbound Paladin with an Oath Against Savagery. On the one hand, Divine Grace is pretty incredible, and I'd be sad to lose it. On the other hand, OAS is flavorful, has an alright first tier ability, and a really good second tier ability, and some really good spells (Haste!).
Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 AM
is Earnest

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Pathfinder classes. Oath Against Savagery sounds like a cool oath though.

I spent some time watching videos and playing through tutorials on Roll 20, and this is more complex than I was expecting. I'm going to have to spend some time messing around with it before starting up a game. Also, I think I'm going to use minimalist battle maps, both because finding new ones for each battle would eat up a lot of time, and because I really dislike the art style on most of the ones I've found. I'd much rather just have a solid color and some shapes and use description to fill in what's going on. I think re-making my spreadsheet dungeon maps with their drawing tools should be pretty quick though.

Does anyone who has experience playing in Roll 20 have any advice, or can you share what your general experience with it has been?
Old 04-21-2017, 11:54 AM
Are You Sure About That?

For battle maps I'd just snag ones off Google Image search that roughly fill what you want; Roll20's drawing tools were sort of a pain in the ass I remember, but it's been a while. There are probably several (dozen) snap-to-fit or assemble-to-fit dungeon/map templates floating around outside the nicer paid ones.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:44 PM
is Earnest

Thanks for the feedback! Up until now I played one campaign with all player made maps on graph paper, and a second with a hand drawn map I made and dungeons/battles taking place on a 20x20 white grid with a dry erase marker and scrabble pieces. So it's been mostly verbal and imagination driven with just a little bit of visual guidance. I'm kind of internally rebelling against giving up that simplicity for a bunch of semi-detailed maps of varying quality. I'll spend some time sifting through what's out there to see if I can find stuff I like, or I may end up finding another way to display stuff.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:23 PM
Dinger!

I've used Roll20 a bunch, but not for games that require any detailed mapping. Mostly what I like about it are the character sheets. The drawing tools are decent, but I wouldn't want to use them for anything complicated.

Tags
concentration , edition wars , gith racism