The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 06-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Sudden chomper

EARL GREY MOTHERFUCKERS

Buy the fancy kind at Murchies when I go to Victoria.
Put some milk in there, aw yeah.
Slam a Tim Tam with that and GOD DAMN.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Yeah, in the morning I either have this or coffee but not both. YMMV, of course. Also, make sure not to steep it TOO long since it starts to get mad crazy bitter, yo.
How long do you recommend? I just got myself some today. Does the brand matter? I got the Twining kind. Might try it tonight or tomorrow morning. It better be good.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Spear of Justice

I've tried Twinings black tea and wasn't too impressed. Seemed like the tea was practically dust inside the bag and it tasted rather bitter. To be fair, I had just started drinking tea the last time I tried Twinings and may have steeped it too long.

Tazo is my go-to for bagged tea. Not sure if they carry anything labeled "Irish breakfast" specifically, but their "Awake" flavor is a great basic black tea.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:17 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
How long do you recommend? I just got myself some today. Does the brand matter? I got the Twining kind. Might try it tonight or tomorrow morning. It better be good.
3-5 minutes. Twinings is the one I use. I haven't been drinking a lot of tea lately, but this thread got me thinking about it and I had some today. So good.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:20 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman Deluxe View Post
I've tried Twinings black tea and wasn't too impressed.
Yeah, Twinnings is actually not great tea, but, honestly, neither is Tazo or pretty much anything else in a bag. Tazo and Twinnings are the fast food equivalent of tea.

If you want great tea, you are going to have to find a tea specialty store and brew loose leaf. The teas I really like and want to enjoy, I don't buy in a bag. I only get green and oolong tea loose leaf. I get the Irish Breakfast in Twinning bags because it's cheap and gets the job done.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:03 AM
le petite mort

This thread made me wander over to the tea section of my local pseudo-farmer's market/organic supermarket (Sunflower). There were quite a lot of loose-leaf teas, but I had no idea where to start (I almost got some Irish Breakfast tea, maybe next time), but I ended up getting some Black Cherry Berry bags.

It looks good! Will try it tomorrow with breakfast.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:10 AM
Frightful Hobgoblin

I drink a fair amount of Nambarrie. It's a really robust, meaty "builder's tea" (mostly assam). I like to steep it for ages and drink it black. (Don't take sugar.)

I'm also getting through a big packet of genmaicha at the moment. It's acebest.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:34 AM

Yeah, this Irish breakfast tea is great. I want to through out this vanilla chai and peppermint crap I have, but I suppose green, oolong and herbal tea will continue to be standbys.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:53 AM
and ermine, too

Mostly earl gray or lady gray, no sugar or milk. I don't drink iced tea much anymore, but when I was in college the sugary Sobe black/oolong teas were my go-to drink.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:53 AM
What Time Is It?

Does anyone else just let the teabag steep until you finish the tea and then refill it with more hot water to get a milder and milder tea? Part of this is that I don't really like hot beverages and prefer to just gulp down a warm black or green tea.

It's not like it gets THAT bitter or anything.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 AM
actually an eevee

you could also just take the teabag out and put it back in for the next cup
Old 06-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Yeah, Twinnings is actually not great tea, but, honestly, neither is Tazo or pretty much anything else in a bag. Tazo and Twinnings are the fast food equivalent of tea.

If you want great tea, you are going to have to find a tea specialty store and brew loose leaf. The teas I really like and want to enjoy, I don't buy in a bag. I only get green and oolong tea loose leaf. I get the Irish Breakfast in Twinning bags because it's cheap and gets the job done.
I have thought about starting loose leaf brewing but there's no tea shops around here. Can anyone recommend a good online seller? I pretty much only drink black teas so I don't need a huge selection.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Yggdrasicilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
You'd only be that guy if you were to intimate that your weird ritual was the best way to do tea and only smart, classy people do it that way because they're more worldly and better than everyone else.
Fair enough. And it's definitely not the only tea I drink. Mainly because the whole ritual means you have to set aside time for it, rather than "Whelp, guess I'll have some tea while I do [any activity that doesn't involve sitting the fuck down to concentrate on making fifty cups of tea]" Though it's a great time to have a chat with somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
Does anyone else just let the teabag steep until you finish the tea and then refill it with more hot water to get a milder and milder tea?
Have you ever tried oolong? Stuff gets better as you re-steep it.

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good online seller? I pretty much only drink black teas so I don't need a huge selection.
http://www.lupiciausa.com/ has some good teas. A bit pricey.
http://www.harney.com/ also has some good tea.

I get my pu-erh from... Oh snap, they finally opened a US store! http://www.yunnansourcing.us/store/ Shipping from China was hell. Not to mention waiting three months for it to get here. But yeah, they have black teas as well.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:17 PM
gatchapon 3*

i can also vouch for lupicia. they make my favorite kind of jasmine tea.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Frightful Hobgoblin

I remember reading something a while ago about milk potentially inhibiting your uptake of antioxidants from tea. This thread reminded me of it, and I started looking around at various different articles about the health benefits or otherwise of tea, and there doesn't seem to be any sort of consensus on that question. Do any of you guys know anything about it?

(I had a chuckle at parts of this, too. "If you look at the studies, you see that in Asia there are less cardiac diseases, but in England that's not the case. So the question is, is the addition of milk a reason for this difference between Asia and England, where tea is often taken with milk?"

Surely he's not so ignorant of the manifold other possible causes of endemic heart disease in England? Without going into the social and economic reasons for the tendency, all we eat is chips, mate. )
Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
I have thought about starting loose leaf brewing but there's no tea shops around here. Can anyone recommend a good online seller? I pretty much only drink black teas so I don't need a huge selection.
I think Mighty Leaf sells good black tea.

They sell in loose leaf if you're ready to make that step and also in these awesome designer "tea pouches" that are basically like a loose leaf tea bag.

Kind of expensive though. Again, this is more of a to enjoy or to pair with meals tea than something to drink in the background during the day.

Even Twinnings sells loose leaf that's better than their bags.

edit: Not sure if this is really the same thing because it shows the leaves not the bag, but it seems like you can get Japanese green tea from Ito En onine. If this is what I think it is, here's a pretty decent authentic green tea. Might also be available from a local Japanese (or vaguely Asian) market if anything like that exists in your area. The bag should look like this.

Last edited by estragon; 06-27-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good online seller?
They are (obviously) a spice seller first, but World Spice is where I've been stocking up lately -- I just walk down to their store, but their online selection seems to cover everything I recall seeing in stock. I'm falling in love with their Keemun.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:30 PM
We just don't know.

Coming to Japan made me a tea drinker. Black/spiced teas or green tea if hot; barley or oolong tea if cold. It's replaced coffee AND sugary soft drinks for me.

I've also got some crazy other ones, but mostly I'm just trying new types when I can 'cause there's so much. The best I've stumbled on so far is this cinnamon tea from the coffee/import store in the mall. I've tried out some Keemun and just got a pouch of Darjeeling.

As far as loose-leaf goes, I got a pot with a net in it (add water, add leaves, brew) for one school, and some net pouches (insert leaves, fold, put in cup) for the other. They both make loose-leaf brewing really easy. I think I like the pot because it's easier to not keep the tea in there so long it gets really strong. Either way I usually brew twice with each batch. I find the third pretty weak.

I don't drink my tea with any milk or sugar anymore. And I'm not really a fan of like celestial seasonings fruity teas or any of that. Mostly black and/or spiced teas for me. That said, earl gray with milk and honey is a nostalgia kick in the face, 'cause that's what mom used to make me when I was working on my homework.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:42 AM
What Time Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
you could also just take the teabag out and put it back in for the next cup
B-b-but then I'm getting two things dirty.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:24 AM
:O

...I like Arizona Iced tea. I'm sorry.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:26 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
You should be.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:42 AM
Frightful Hobgoblin

You will be.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 AM

It's the preferred drink of contemporary droogs.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 AM
gatchapon 3*

Talking

Quote:
Wrong thread, son. Soda belongs elsewhere.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:36 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
I like that "green tea" one they put out every once in a great while, but I wouldn't call it tea. It's tea in the same sense that purple drink is "juice".
Old 06-28-2012, 01:55 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Don't knock the one dollar can.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:05 PM
King Of Space-Time

For canned tea Steez is pretty nice! Not too sweet.

Does Republic of Tea still make that Ginger Peach? Because I adore that stuff.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 PM
actually an eevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Wrong thread, son. Soda belongs elsewhere.
They aren't carbonated!
Old 07-01-2012, 07:29 PM
A real human being

Had some really tasty tea today: root beer float. Stuff tastes like a root beer float, sans the fizz. It's pretty awesome. No idea how it would be as a hot tea, but it was great iced.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
For canned tea Steez is pretty nice! Not too sweet.
Steaz is by far the best I've had in a can, but if I'm getting a serving-sized beverage, I still prefer Honest Tea or probably even Tazo.

I'm a huge tea fan, probably more so iced than hot. Half because I'm too lazy to heat up tea when I want it so I usually only have it hot when the fiance decides she wants it. Otherwise, I'll just make it and stick it in the fridge. I like most kinds as long as they are of reasonable quality. Bigelow, Celestial Seasonings, Twinings, and Bigelow all feature at times in my household. Fiance loves Irish Breakfast and it is quite good, sometimes in the mood for a citrusy or fruity Celestial Seasonings. Constent Comment is another big one in the rotation. I mostly add nothing to my hot teas. If making iced tea, then a tiny bit of sugar and/or lemon.

Tags
20 minute brews , beverages , brew , chai-na town , iced tea bitchez , megaman , nam-fuckin'-barrie , now i'm tea'd off , num num! , tea , teatime , urine