The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 02-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

The stigma of playing a cross-gendered character is a lot more common than I ever realized. I know so many people who absolutely refuse to do it. We have four just in our group! If we could get two of those hold-outs to change their minds, our 7th Sea boat would have an all-lady crew.

I think I'm pretty evenly split between male and female characters. I usually think of a character concept first and then extrapolate the character's gender from that. It's not a conscious decision most of the time.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Hawkguy

This isn't my story, but my friend regaled us with a tale of a DC Adventures game he ran for his friends.

So the players are a super team that's funded by Batman, and they're out fighting crime and whatnot. They run into the archvillaness and beat her into submission.

Then one player asks if he can use his powers to rape her.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:27 PM

Well I guess that depends on what his powers were!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
Well I guess that depends on what his powers were!
He controls earth or something. So yeah, he wanted to rape her using clumps of dirt.

The GM didn't allow it.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:24 PM

I would have allowed it, but then punished him severely. Batman wouldn't stand for that kind of behavior.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
I would have allowed it, but then punished him severely. Batman wouldn't stand for that kind of behavior.
The GM's response was yes, but only if Black Adam shows up and shoves a mountain up his ass.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
The stigma of playing a cross-gendered character is a lot more common than I ever realized. I know so many people who absolutely refuse to do it. We have four just in our group! If we could get two of those hold-outs to change their minds, our 7th Sea boat would have an all-lady crew.

I think I'm pretty evenly split between male and female characters. I usually think of a character concept first and then extrapolate the character's gender from that. It's not a conscious decision most of the time.
That's the sane healthy secure in your sexuality approach, yeah. Basically I say the scale of creepy goes like this.

Least: What you just said.
I yam what I yam!
I never play my own gender!
I play girls sometimes! Really really slutty hot girls!
Creepiest:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
Then one player asks if he can use his powers to rape her.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Least: What you just said.
I yam what I yam!
I never play my own gender!
I play girls sometimes! Really really slutty hot girls!
...I hope you won't think less of me when I point out that my pirate chick is both slutty and hot. =(
Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

So we're in a city that's basically surrounded by swamp. Been here a few in-game weeks. The last trollkin/bandit fight where the fighter's dog AVENGED him was in one of said swamps.

There are two local legends around here: one is a local Loch Ness Monster, a draconic creature that no one actually knows whether it exists or not. The other is of a vast fortune found by a miner who lost it and died horribly trying to cart his wealth into town.

The bandits we defeated (quite thoroughly, in subsequent sessions) were out looking for the treasure. So we pick up the task. We begin to suspect that the two legends are linked, and that the monster is what killed the miner and stole his loot in the first place.

So we go to the local university and ask about the local flora. We get a few tips on its eating habits, its lethargy once it's fed, and the fact that having a corpse to study would be of massive benefit to the cryptozoology department specifically, the university in general, and SCIENCE as a whole.

So we go tromping through the swamp, with a horse-pulled wagon, chains and canvas, three live goats, and enough large-animal tranquilizer to bring down a bull elephant.

So over the next several days of game time we find the creature's lair, butcher the goats, bait with tranquilizer, and hang them from a nearby tree. The fog drake, for that is what the creature is, takes the bait and returns to its lair to sleep off its meal.

We follow it, find that Yes Indeed It Is Sleeping On Gold Bullion, subdue it in vicious combat, and drag the living beast back to the city to present to the university. What they do with a living fog drake is really not our concern -- the reputation we get for going toe-to-toe with the damned thing and dragging it back alive is more important.

So once we drop it off we're going back for the gold. I half expect it to be gone by then by DM fiat and perhaps the incompetence of the paladin PC we left behind, but you know -- it's really not that important.

Because a level 2 party overcame a CR 7 creature and now a whole city knows how fuckall awesome we are.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

Quote:
...I hope you won't think less of me when I point out that my pirate chick is both slutty and hot. =(
One of my players is playing a girl. He describes her personality as "a total bitch."

Clearly barriers are being broken at my table.

- Eddie
Old 02-24-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Well I'd certainly hope so! That's like, the law for female pirates!

It's only creepy when it's totally your thing. Not unlike the people who, no matter what, always try and create the exact same character in every campaign of every game they ever play in.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 PM
:O

I can say with total seriousness that I have never created a priest with a dragon wagon before.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Erudite Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
It's only creepy when it's totally your thing. Not unlike the people who, no matter what, always try and create the exact same character in every campaign of every game they ever play in.
My characters all have the same personality, but that's because I'm a bad roleplayer. We do have one player that tries to be the same monk in everything, but we generally don't let him. Then he makes sorcerers that punch things, and we let him play the monk again.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:56 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comb Stranger View Post
My characters all have the same personality, but that's because I'm a bad roleplayer. We do have one player that tries to be the same monk in everything, but we generally don't let him. Then he makes sorcerers that punch things, and we let him play the monk again.
That +1 Shocking Ki Focus Cestus is like a big out of character carrot encouraging you guys to kill that NPC, I'd imagine.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:02 PM

One time I ran a D&D game and had everyone role up their ideal characters. I was very generous with starting EXP and gear.

When everyone was done, I said "Okay, now everyone pass your sheet to the guy to your left."

Some dudes were really pissed, but the game hit its swing and everyone had fun with it. Enriching little exercise to help get players to come out of their comfort zones!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:09 PM

Oh hey, that's close to my so-old-I-wasn't-sure-it-was-still-online Dark City Roleplaying idea. I need to take another stab at running that some time. Last time I went for this Fudge-based serial killer mystery forum RPG deal, which was too slow paced and confusing to really pan out. Plus I just suck at forum RPG timing. Ideally you need to do it in a game with some really severe differences in in the characters and their personal motivations, but still keep some party cohesion going on. Come to think of it, the BEST fit would probably be Heroes Unlimited. This week you're that flying fire dude you actually made. Next week you're the stage magician, week after you're the robot...
Old 03-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

The druid (a temporary character)'s sister was saved by the party. The one the party insisted was probably dead, multiple times to the druid's face, completely casually. As the druid turned to leave, the following exchange happened:

Brooke places his hand on Giaseric's shoulder.

Brooke (Druid): Guys... you were assholes, but... thanks.

Giaseric places his hand on Brooke's shoulder.

Giaseric (Barbarian): Brooke... you were kind of a pussy.

Brooke nods solemly and walks away in silence.

* fin *

- Eddie
Old 03-20-2011, 02:47 AM

Oh man. My character in this here Eclipse Phase game I'm playing on saturdays now is really an amazing phenomenon. Pretty much everything I do or is done to me yields a universal reaction from everyone, both in-game and in real life, of "Dear gods why would anyone do that!?! Let alone record it!?!" And then, you know, pretty much everyone suggests some way I can top it in the future. Which I will always take, because my character concept here is pretty much Transhuman Johnny Knoxville. Absolutely no restraint shame or dignity to be found.

I also dig how the GM has so far been working into every session a clip from the TV series yon character mainly recorded during various pre-campaign-start big ol' backup related memory holes. Trying to do aerobatic stunts in a high gravity environment resulting in an ultra-dense nugget of used-to-be-a-vehicle for instance, although that one isn't particularly horrific.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 AM
and ermine, too

"I'm Johnny Knoxville, and this is the Jovian Nut-crusher!"

*KER-CRUNCH*

Old 03-26-2011, 04:28 PM
McBear

Last night, one of the players in my regular group posited this scenario, and a few hours later, we were playing it:

Based on Secret of Evermore, each PC is the player, drawn in to an alternate reality. In this case, we were drawn in to Faerun. Some of us were changed by the transportation: I became a half-orc with an oddly high Charisma and magical talent. We all communally decided how a stat pool should be distributed for each character, and, in my case, I was classed up as a Sorcerer, and (in Pathfinder), they looked at the various bloodlines and selected Fey. I was like "what", but after reading some of the spells that become more effective in the hands of Fey sorcerers, this character is already looking to be DAMN fun.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Hawkguy

So my group is playing Scion and we do a little bit of roleplaying on Obsidian Portal.

One of the players, in character, sent a PM to the GM's wife, and basically said his character was going to jerk off to her character.

We're not sure what to do now. Except be creeped out.

EDIT: Sorry, the character was going to jerk it to the other character.

Last edited by sraymonds; 04-27-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Are You Sure About That?

:doublefacepalm:
Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Not a Beer

Well, was it believably in character? Do you get extra XP for that?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Hawkguy

GM's wife responded and hopefully squashed any further talk of self-abuse. If it goes any further, he's out of the group.

Here's what he said:

"He then stands and turns away, muttering something about planning to commit several mortal sins of self-abuse in his hotel bed the likes of which would make the nuns back at his Jesuit High School blush redder than baboon's arses..."
Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Man, my group would have thrown him out purely for the purple prose abuse.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Inherently Stealthy

And this is why contracts of play are important.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
purple prose abuse.
What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
And this is why contracts of play are important.
And what is this?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
And what is this?
The idea of a contract of play is that you explicitly lay out, before the first session, what you are okay with coming up during game, what you'd prefer to "fade to black" on, and what you don't want to be part of game at all. The idea is that it helps groups navigate around contentious issues like sexuality, rape, slavery, and so on, while also providing focus on less contentious issues. (IE, genre conventions, levels of action, intrigue, PvP, etc)

While it's fine to say that stuff like the aforementioned quote should never come up in an RPG, it's worth noting that the game in question was Scion. In its source material (and modern fiction based on that source material), having mention of that kind of activity on-screen isn't even exceptional. Hell, out-and-out explicit description of that kind of activity on-screen isn't exceptional, though it's frequently used to make villains look pathetic or reprehensible. In this case, most of the group in question clearly wasn't okay with it. Having a contract of play means that preference is explicit and written down, which gives you a much firmer basis for expelling or reprimanding someone.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 PM
"I don't get people."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merus View Post
Obligatory Dread Gazebo story.
This link appears to be dead, though I know the Gazebo story.

The GM was me, but a BBEG whose method of keeping prisoners in an atrium to listen to his Monologuing revolved around the creepiest out-of-context quote in the d20 SRD:
Quote:
Unconscious characters are automatically considered willing
Levitate is willing-targets-only, see...

e:...so he levitated them all while they were unconscious, had them brought to the grand hall, woke them up, and began monologuing, and they couldn't escape unless they recognized the characteristics of the spell.

Last edited by eternaljwh; 05-02-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
What is this?
Purple prose is prose that is way more concerned with being clever and poetic than with being clear. (It's not automatically a sin, though: sometimes a lack of clarity is what you're trying to achieve. Perhaps your point-of-view character is overwhelmed and can't think straight; perhaps they're a douchebag.)

Here's a recent example of purple prose to give you an idea:

Quote:
Edward in the sunlight was shocking. I couldn't get used to it, though I'd been staring at him all afternoon. His skin, white despite the faint flush from yesterday's hunting trip, literally sparkled, like thousands of tiny diamonds were embedded in the surface. He lay perfectly still in the grass, his shirt open over his sculpted, incandescent chest, his scintillating arms bare. His glistening, pale lavender lids were shut, though of course he didn't sleep. A perfect statue, carved in some unknown stone, smooth like marble, glittering like crystal.