The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 04-21-2017, 04:32 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
Cribbage isn't really complicated, but it is confusing. Like a lot of classic card games, it's hard to shake the feeling that the person teaching you is just making up the rules, because they sound ridiculous.
The confusing rules in these games make a certain kind of sense though; a standard poker deck is very versatile, not heavily thematic, and I can imagine there used to be a time when there just weren't a lot of options for family entertainment beyond telling stories at each other, singing together, and making up card and/or dice games with confusing rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFalcon View Post
Cribbage didn't make my list, oh unforgiving 25, but is the mainstay fast 2- or 3-player game with my dad, going back for years, past the dawning of the Age of Catan to when I was school-age. I've probably played it more than 90% of what I did put on my list.
This made me realize I didn't put anything on my list that I've played with other generations of my family. That'll make for some big gaps in my playing history.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:23 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
The confusing rules in these games make a certain kind of sense though; a standard poker deck is very versatile, not heavily thematic, and I can imagine there used to be a time when there just weren't a lot of options for family entertainment beyond telling stories at each other, singing together, and making up card and/or dice games with confusing rules.
Yeah exactly. It's stretching components to the very extent of what they can represent.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:52 AM
Yes, let's feast!

My experience with cribbage is limited to playing it with the 'ermit in Hero's Quest Quest for Glory. I don't know if it's even possible in the VGA version, but in the original release, you could have your character play with him, and the narrator tells you how boring a game it is.

So it's kind of funny that Sierra later released a game where you can actually play cribbage.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Bertolli?!?...

#39 - Big Boggle
Insert your favourite Peggy Hill quote here

# of players: 2+

Hey, it's our first word game, and it's a classic!

The Boggle board consists of a grid of white cubes inside a sealed plastic case. Each cube has different letters printed on each of its 6 faces. Someone picks up and vigourously shakes the case (guess which part of this kids like), and then sets it down and lets the letters fall into place in the grid with a single side up. Then the sand timer is turned and players have 3 minutes to write down as many words as they can form using ordered strings of adjacent letters (diagonal adjacency included). After 3 minutes, players compare lists and score points (longer words are worth more points). That's about all there is to it!

I haven't played Boggle since I was a young'un, but I recall having a grand time playing it with my grandparents. How about you all?

(Note that there was an even split between Boggle & Big Boggle voters, but the latter slightly edged out the former in points, and needless to say the two were ultimately combined, as one is literally just the same game but bigger.)
Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 AM
Sudden chomper

Boggle is so much fun! As someone who's really hit-and-miss when it comes to word games (Scrabble, barf), the combination of quick thinking and creativity that you need to succeed in Boggle makes it really pop for me. We have a super old Boggle set at my parents' cottage that we break out every once in a while. I've heard that newer sets use different cubes to change how often certain letters come up, making it easier to form words. I don't play it that often, but I'm totally an Old Boggle Snob.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Video Monster

I don't get it. Where do you place the workers? And the theme seems tacked on.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:12 AM
#deadfish2017

Hahaha. Today's picture is the best yet.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:31 AM
Yes, let's feast!

I'm real good at boggling. I have only met one person who could beat me consistently.

One of my favorite word games; maybe the favorite?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:31 AM
forbidden noise

i voted for big boggle, as my ninth place. because 9 is a square number, and i wasn't putting it at 16 or 25. i feel like it does a lot to be engaging based on your knowledge of words (rather than being heavily based on randomness like scrabble); everyone has the same letters and plays simultaneously, and you're rewarded for finding the words that other players don't.

i used to be able to beat most people who weren't my mom but i think it's harder now due to the popularity of phone games with similar concepts, which a lot of people play a lot and i don't
Old 04-21-2017, 10:31 AM
For blood and gold

Oh man, I totally whiffed on word games and I have Boggle and Scrabble right on my shelf. They are both really great and for different reasons.

Boggle probably slightly edges Scrabble because it's better with more than 2 players, but the time limit and everyone working from the same board makes them different games anyway.

Anyway, I hope Boggle will forgive me.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Bob

Forgot about Boggle, although it probably wouldn't have made my list. Still a very enjoyable game that beats Scrabble out based upon the shortness of game time as well as the level playing field.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:00 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
the level playing field.
???

Not sure what you mean by this. Boggle requires different skills and knowledge than Scrabble, but I don't actually think the playing field is any more level between casual and advanced players of each. Good Boggle players are good and will know all the three letter words.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:06 PM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
???

Not sure what you mean by this. Boggle requires different skills and knowledge than Scrabble, but I don't actually think the playing field is any more level between casual and advanced players of each. Good Boggle players are good and will know all the three letter words.
in scrabble you have your own letters, in boggle everything is shared
Old 04-21-2017, 02:20 PM
Not a Beer

Ah, yeah, the RNG can't single you out for screwing over in this one.

Boggle almost made my list. Been a while since I played but it's good straightforward fun word times.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:09 AM
Bertolli?!?...

#38 - Arkham Horror
Cthulhu fhtagn, what a wonderful phrase
Cthulhu fhtagn, ain't no passin' craze

# of players: 1 - 8

As should be evident from this picture, one of the first things that you will notice when you are seated in front of Arkham Horror is that there is quite a lot of it. It is pretty much the textbook example of "Ameritrash", although I want to be clear that I'm not using that as a pejorative, as many in the hobby do. For better or for worse, Ameritrash has become the shorthand for American-developed board games that are gigantic and colourful with heavy themeing and lots of components and gameplay systems. They are the board game equivalent of a Big Mac, and there ain't nothing wrong with a big ol' greasy burger once in a while.

The one way that Arkham Horror differs from fast food, however, is the word fast. If you and your friends are intending to take on an Ancient One, then you'd better clear your evening, because you'll be at it for quite a while. Just setting up the board and all of the various decks and components takes more time than it does to finish some of the games that have already appeared in this list. Whether or not all of the work is worth it to you is going to rely heavily on one thing: how big a fan are you of the Lovecraft setting?

A game that luxuriates in its theme with this much abandon is going to live or die by that theme, and if shooting tentacled monstrosities with tommy guns isn't your bag, then there is nothing for you here. However, if that does sound up your alley (and really, why wouldn't it?), and you don't mind a bit of mechanical complexity, then you are in for a treat. You and each of your friends start by choosing an Investigator from among a colourful cast of 16 characters that includes the likes of a Magician, an Archeologist, a Nun, an Author, or even just a Drifer (Ashcan Pete, the Drifter, starts with his trusty doggo Duke at his side), and then all of you work cooperatively to explore the city of Arkham, collecting allies, weapons, spells, clues, and ancient relics.

You'll need all of that and more, as you race desperately around the city to close portals to other terrifying dimensions and defeat the monsters that they disgorge, all while fighting to preserve your health and sanity. If you fall too far behind in these efforts and allow the cosmic fabric to fray, then the Ancient One itself may tear the edges of reality asunder and break through to the mortal realm, and although you and your friends are welcome to engage it in combat at that point, that's unlikely to end well for you.

Yes, this is a game that you can spend an entire evening playing, only to have everyone at the table lose. Again though, that's all in service to the bleak Lovecraft setting, as this is a game about things starting bad and then getting worse. Things just seem to quickly spiral out of control, and you're always just hanging on by the skin of your teeth as the Doom Track marches inexorably forward. If you're the sort of person who enjoys that kind of tension, then that's great, but try not to bring anyone to the table who doesn't or they're likely to have a bad time.

For my money, Arkham Horror is a game that is super duper fun the first few times that you play it. I bought the game years ago and had an absolute blast with it. However, once you've seen most of the weapons and spells and gear and the like, there's just not enough variety to give subsequent sessions that same magic, although the wealth of options for Investigators and Ancient Ones does help give it legs. Ultimately, at the end of the day, the real Horror is being the person who is left to clean up and put away the game afterwards. >_<

Seriously, though, just look at all of this. This is the component manifest for what's included in just the base set, and note that quite a lot of these are their own seperate card decks that require dedicated table space:
1 Rule Book
1 Game Board
1 First Player Marker
5 Dice
16 Investigator Sheets
16 Investigator Markers
16 Plastic Investigator Stands
56 Money Tokens
35 Sanity Tokens
35 Stamina Tokens
48 Clue Tokens
24 Skill Tokens
44 Common Items
39 Unique Items
40 Spells
20 Skills
11 Allies
8 Retainers
8 Silver Lodge Memberships
8 Bank Loans
8 Blessing/Curse Cards
3 Deputy Cards
8 Ancient One Sheets
20 Doom Tokens
63 Location Cards
67 Mythos Cards
49 Gate Cards
60 Monster Markers
16 Gate Markers
3 Activity Markers
3 Explored Markers
1 Terror Track Marker
6 Closed Markers
Anyway, that's more than enough component talk from me. Do any of you folks have any fun stories of plunging the Lamp of Alhazred into a gaping maw of teeth, or losing your mind in the depths of R'lyeh, never to return to the land of the living?

Last edited by JBear; 04-22-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:18 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default in between the bouts of uncontrollable laughter

I fucking hate you jbear
Old 04-22-2017, 12:25 AM
Bertolli?!?...

~~❤~~
Old 04-22-2017, 01:25 AM
TARANTUL

This was on my list, though all the way down at 24.

At this point that's mostly just due to age, I'd guess it's the oldest game on my list I could really call modern, but it came in right before the start of the huge board game renaissance we now live in.

These days a good well themed game dosn't have to be this akward and a huge spectacle game will otften have more going on or a more solid central design.

Still I have a good friend who has all the expansions and I've only played with most of them once, so there's enugh suprises in the (huge mass of) box(es) that I'm not unwilling to sit down for an evening with AH to this day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2017, 01:26 AM
Mystery Contraption

I play the mobile version of this a lot!

Thanks to letting a computer handle all the fiddly bits and the ability to just stop playing whenever, it's pretty zippy there.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:34 AM

I hope #1 is Hero Quest.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:29 AM
forbidden noise

i voted for arkham horror. #13, which is of course a traditionally superstitious number on its own (and thus presumably the reason they chose it as the number of tokens on the "doom track" for c'thulu). yes, it's pretty stupid, the textbook example of what people refer to as, whether derisively or lovingly, "ameritrash"-but it's a silly good time and i've spent way too much time with friends over this game (particularly Stiv!) to simply pass over it
Old 04-22-2017, 04:40 AM
noble beast

Limited experience with board game culture, so I'd never heard of "ameritrash" before, but it looks like I voted for a few. I've never played this one. (Or another I voted for...) I'd probably like it!

Can't remember the last time I played boggle. Scrabble's fisher in my mind because I know I played it IRL in college, plus the occasional mobile scrabblike.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:40 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

From Sharkey on the Brontoboards:

Quote:

I'm in the woods. I think I just paid myself three bucks I don't have as reward for the recovery of my own dog, who wasn't lost. My sanity is hanging by a thread, so I'll probably never know whether that three dollars actually did magically appear in my pocket, or if I had it the whole time secreted away somewhere in my crackly trousers and only just remembered after a pointless fantasy about rescuing Duke, who was right fucking there because he's always right fucking there. So I paid myself magical fairy money for saving him from... being a bit nervous, apparently. It's not like he'd have run away if I failed the check or didn't feed him.

I'd feed Duke if I could. He's my only friend. In fact, after failing my personal quest to finally maybe get a good night's sleep, the rules stipulate that I'm not allowed to have any friends anymore. Besides Duke. I don't have any food, though. Otherwise I could have paid myself magic money for feeding him, as opposed to paying myself magic money for catching and comforting him. He probably needed it, honestly. We've seen some shit. Though after this little schizophrenic clusterfuck I'm pretty sure the thing with all the eyes that I punched to death and have been lugging around with me all over town for no apparent reason... that was probably all in my head. Still is in my head. I wish Duke would eat Shuggoth.

This game perfectly captures the experience of being an urban outdoorsman with a rich inner life.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:42 AM
Dinger!

Oh man, from Boggle to Arkham Horror. That's quite the jump.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:54 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pretty sure that half the names from Arkham Horror come just writing down what comes out of a Boggle board, so it makes sense.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:08 AM
Yes, let's feast!

I love me some Arkham Horror, and I can't find anyone else who loves it half as much. My wife liked the game well enough until I bought the Dunwich Horror expansion, and then it was like the game asked for her hand in marriage on the second date. She couldn't get away fast enough.

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Hahaha. Today's picture is the best yet.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Not a Beer

This is another one that arbitrarily fell just short of my list. I've played it a couple times and had fun, but as JBear said it's so dang big and so dang long (that's what she*shot*......)
Old 04-22-2017, 11:14 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

This is one that should have been on my list but wasn't! It helped get me into the whole board game scene.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:16 AM
Not a Beer

Oh yeah, and I forgot to say props for the Tom Smith ref <3
Old 04-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Outer Spacean

JBear's dedication to photography is amazing; he totally mimicked False's lunch photo now infamous with our fine boards with the level of perfection I expect from this series. Impeccable!

:-p

Tags
bertolli , classy jbear pics , falselogic ruins #1 , game pieces don't talk , olive oil , tabletop games , top 50 , top 50 countdown , wake up meeple!