The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 04-20-2017, 10:07 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadgum Roi View Post
Been playing High Frontier 3rd edition with friends lately. It's really, really good if you're into complex experience games.
I've only played it 3 times (all a couple years ago), but all 3 times were really fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadgum Roi View Post
Pax Porfiriana
I think my friend just got a copy of this recently? Some Phil Eklund game, anyway, but I'm pretty sure it was this one. Don't know when we'll find time to learn/play it, though.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:15 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Just had my best game of Star Wars: Rebellion ever after a ridiculously bad start. I was playing the Empire, and I left the Core worlds a bit too thinly defended, as the Rebels rolled into Coruscant on turn 1 and set up shop, quickly expanding their borders to cover the entire region, taking over Corellia and Cato Neimoidia as well. From that point on, they were milling through the mission deck as fast as they could in search of the Coruscant occupation objective. I was pretty much left to run roughshod over the rest of the board as the Rebels built up a ridiculously large fleet of 3 Mon Cal cruisers and ~8 snub fighters on Cato Neimoidia. We had the largest battle I've ever seen in orbit of Sullust, when, in an effort to rescue a captured Admiral Ackbar, that fleet crashed against my own of 3 Star Destroyers, a couple of assault carriers, and a half-dozen TIEs. I managed to take out a Mon Cal and several of the fighters, but was forced to retreat back to Mustafar with 3 points on damage on both of Destroyers, saving them both.

My one unmitigated success in the early game, however, was keeping Rebel leaders on lockdown, as I had at least one captured leader every turn (I captured Leia instead of Ackbar on that same turn he was rescued), turning Jan Dodonna to the dark side on turn 2 and freezing Leia in carbonite a couple of turns later. With that leader advantage, I had managed to get pretty great board coverage in the outer systems, along with a few key probe pulls. Critically, I was able to Interrogate one of those leaders, forcing the Rebels to name 3 systems, one of which contained their base. I was sitting on the probe card for one of the three, and one of the remaining two was Cato Neimoidia, home to the aforementioned ridiculous fleet.

It just so happened that I had Display of Power, and waited for the opportunity to use it unopposed, which immediately flipped Cato Neimoidia from Rebel to Imperial loyalty, immediately revealing it as the home of the base (I didn't actually think it was there, but I still had a way to check, fortunately for me). This spooked my opponent into moving the base, despite how well-defended it was, and on the very next turn I used Homing Beacon on a released General Rieekan to pin the brand new base as being on Ryloth (I had imperial loyalty on Rodia and Geonosis, and was sitting on the Tatooine probe card, so I was able to determine it as the only legal option). I had a single assault carrier, a single squad of stormtroopers, and an AT-AT on Geonosis, and he'd managed to get a speeder, a squad of rebel troopers, 2 ion cannons, and a shield generator into the new base already, but I rolled on in and was just barely able to win the day, with 2 points of damage on the AT-AT, my only remaining presence on the ground.

So I squeaked out a really early win on... I think turn 6? In a game that I fully expected to lose.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I think my friend just got a copy of this recently? Some Phil Eklund game, anyway, but I'm pretty sure it was this one. Don't know when we'll find time to learn/play it, though.
My group has been on an Eklund binge lately. We played Pax Renaissance a few months ago, then Bios: Genesis, then Neanderthal, now High Frontier 3rd ed. All the while doing copious amounts of Pax Porf on Yucata.

I can't rate HF yet, but of the others I'd say Pax Ren>Bios:Genesis>Neaderthal>Pax Porfiriana. But they are all really awesome games, I love them. Even if I hate their rulebooks.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Lucky In Love

Minnesota-made game day!

I played Vast with 4 players. It was weird and I feel like nobody knew how exactly to win the first time, but the Dragon won without too much resistance. This is a 1-5 player asymmetrical adventure/strategy game. The Knight is playing Dungeon Quest and wins by slaying the dragon, the Goblins are playing Warcraft and win by killing the knight, the Dragon is playing some kind euro game trying to build his strength with cubes by antagonizing the other players, and the Cave is playing Secret Carcassonne and trying to keep anyone else from winning with rockslides and spores because it wins if everyone else takes too long.

I was the Cave, and my mistake is that you need to use a lot more resources to keep the dragon from waking up, among other things. Only the Cave and the Dragon have time based victory conditions, and only the Cave has the power to slow the Dragon down.

I'll have to play a few more times to be able to judge if it's as crazy unbalanced as it seems at first. The downtime was a problem since everyone was trying to learn a separate game basically.

I also played Sagrada, a stained glass themed dice drafting game. You have to fill a grid without having dice of the same color or number next to one another, with a few more color/number restrictions sprinkled on your particular bingo card. I didn't find this game very inspiring other than looking nice and being somewhat novel.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:33 AM
Bertolli?!?...

From what I hear, Vast is kind of an overly-ambitious, glorious mess of a game. I'd love to try it for myself though, because I love that sort of thing, flaws and all.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:43 PM
Bertolli?!?...

It's recently been brought to my attention that people make themselves custom boards for Louis XIV, and now I've never wanted anything more:

Old 04-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Lucky In Love

Quote:
From what I hear, Vast is kind of an overly-ambitious, glorious mess of a game. I'd love to try it for myself though, because I love that sort of thing, flaws and all.
I would have to play it again and see. It might come together if everyone knows what they're doing, but it's very hard to know who you should be helping or hindering. For instance, the Cave can hinder all other players, and can help the Knight by choosing good events and treasures for them. Helping the Knight isn't exactly good though, you want to keep them alive (or else the Golbins win) but you don't want to give them offensive items because they can't slow the Dragon's growth, they can only kill it.

I chose not to give the Knight a boots of speed because it seemed like it would be too unbalancing, in retrospect their increased move speed would have let me play tiles faster and get closer to winning.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:31 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFalcon View Post
Minor Box 5 spoiler:
There's a dependency on finding certain entries in the Captain's Booke to progress to Box 6, and even 3 games into Box 5 it feels like we're some distance from getting enough.
We just hit Seafall box 5 ourselves - on game 7 - and I agree.

More details:

We had actually noticed the numbers on the advisors during our first game and had been puzzling for weeks over what they could mean and how the game could use them. Discovering the answer was fabulous. We also took out Patmos in the same game, so we're actually able to use half the game systems again.

But the automatic glory for inquisition plus having seen the numbers before has us all heartily interrogating our advisors, and unearthing some tantalizing clues. I think I have a better idea of where the game is going now, but it feels actively misleading about its gameplay in a way Pandemic Legacy wasn't.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:13 PM
hidden in snow

ArsTechnica's review of Gloomhaven makes it seem really interesting, but ultimately will be another game that will never make it to the table at my house. It's a co-op dungeon crawler like Descent, but uses only cards, no dice. I'm still tempted by the kickstarter for the reprint that's closing tomorrow, but common sense needs to win out here.

Anyone played this? The link to the second printing kickstarter is here, and is up to $3.5 million from the $100K ask.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Lucky In Love

Trickerion was pretty fun for a complex euro thanks to the solid theming and satisfying conclusion. We did not play with all the advanced rules, but most of them. It took 2.5 hours to set up and explain though (and one of the guys watched a video tutorial for almost an hour the night before) and the game itself lasted about 4 hours. I'm kinda pissed that it took up our whole game day, but at least it was decent.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:49 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
ArsTechnica's review of Gloomhaven makes it seem really interesting, but ultimately will be another game that will never make it to the table at my house. It's a co-op dungeon crawler like Descent, but uses only cards, no dice. I'm still tempted by the kickstarter for the reprint that's closing tomorrow, but common sense needs to win out here.

Anyone played this? The link to the second printing kickstarter is here, and is up to $3.5 million from the $100K ask.
I buckled and backed it.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Yes, let's feast!

I haven't played it, but I've seen someone play it. The box is enormous. Like, twice as thick as Escape Big Box. Quite a bit bigger than Mechs vs Minions. About the size of four Arkham Horrors stacked two-by-two.

I can only imagine what you put in a box that size.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:02 PM
TARANTUL

I had a friend who was excited about it last time people came over to play boardgames so we watched the expiation videos. Legacy design (stickers on the board) turns me off something that size, but I think if I knew someone who had it and wanted to run a campaign I'd be down for it.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:07 PM
hidden in snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I buckled and backed it.
Same, after I watched The Dice Tower review, who said it worked great solo. Also added on the Solo Scenario book, even though you can't play them until you've retired two characters, and I'll likely never get there.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Space dad

Anyone want to try this online version of Starcraft: The Board Game?

Last edited by Sarcasmorator; 05-06-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I haven't played it, but I've seen someone play it. The box is enormous. Like, twice as thick as Escape Big Box. Quite a bit bigger than Mechs vs Minions. About the size of four Arkham Horrors stacked two-by-two.

That is really, really big...
Old 05-01-2017, 08:27 PM
hidden in snow

Quote:
It's 16" x 12" x 7.5", and looks like it'll need a storage solution inside to sort everything. Would be my second largest game after War of the Ring.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I found some interested players and backed it. At 20 pounds it'll be a great load test for my bottom shelf.

Also considering the (licensed but not same publisher) removable sticker set... more in case I want to hand it to a friend later than run the enormous campaign twice.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:37 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Judging by the pictures in that Ars Technica review, a lot of empty space. Though I guess that's partly because they put a lot of the parts in tackle boxes instead....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
Anyone want to try this online version of Starcraft: The Board Game?
Oh man, I don't know how many years it's been since I played that.* I know exactly what error lost me the game, but I never felt a lot of desire to play again. It has been a very long time though, maybe I can try it again.

*But I can figure it out. I played the game at a prerelease event for Starcraft 2 so *google google* it's been about seven years.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:03 AM
and ermine, too

Some highlights from the past week / Zenkaikon, and cathartic venting about Terminal Directive:

Netrunner - Terminal Directive. TL;DR: the corp gets great cards/effects and the runner gets options ranging from situational to bad. Despite having license to print anything at all without disrupting the meta, the unlockable runner cards are conservative and don't play nice with core set click economy or TD's shaper breakers. The act of unlocking things is still fun, but winning games of Netrunner with these cards is frustrating. The HB FA deck on the back of the book will win games. The shaper deck on the back of the book is inconsistent at best. It's bad. I'm rebuilding it after losing four games in a row, but already Anthony might win the campaign next game... I was expecting a dozen games or so, this will end somewhere in the range of 6-8. After hundreds of games of Netrunner, I was surprised by how the corp's comparitively powerful ethos effects allowed a novice to effortlessly tax the runner out of centrals and FA to victory (would you rather have $2 when the corp scores an agenda, or $2 when the runner doesn't make a successful run? Those are in the same box.)

Jump Drive - I've found enough absolutely devestating combos to know not to feel bad when someone else pulls them in the next game. It kind of reminds me of Brink of the War in that way - you can't stall or slow down, it's all combos all the time.

Neos - I'm starting to really like this the more I play, it strikes a great balance between planning and luck.

Pyramids (new to me) - Went from 'unsure' to 'maybe' - building the pyramid is actually quite interesting, but the majority scoring feels a bit off. Scores are always very close, though!

Wind the Film! - Continuing to play this. The quality of WtF kept me from trading away the publisher's other game, Take the "A" Chord, consider that a positive endorsement.

Familiar's Trouble - Had our best game ever with Rym at Zenkaikon. At one point we set up and swept the whole scoring tableau, and finished with a score in the 40s.

Pastiche (new to me) - My initial reaction was happiness that a modern game had trading and it felt necessary and good - so I was surprised to find Dale Yu had the opposite reaction. I might get more chances to play if Anthony does pick it up.

Samarkand - Despite knowing not to trust the die, and that the game will end sooner than you think, I spent four turns stubbornly rolling the die and falling helplessly behind. It was fun, though.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

This is an interesting idea! Video game people play and compare board games to their video game equivalents!

Going Analog - Only three videos right now but they're trying to grow it!

(also happens to be done by a friend of many people on the board Dan "Shoe" Hsu)

I've enjoyed them and I thought some of you might as well!
Old 05-04-2017, 01:35 PM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

Call me when they get to this.

Last edited by Dracula; 05-04-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Is that an official product? It looks kind of amazing.

It also looks kind of print-and-play, and I'd be interested in finding out where I can get the files if that's the case.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
This is an interesting idea! Video game people play and compare board games to their video game equivalents!

Going Analog - Only three videos right now but they're trying to grow it!

(also happens to be done by a friend of many people on the board Dan "Shoe" Hsu)

I've enjoyed them and I thought some of you might as well!
*cough*

Quote:
The pilot was perhaps a bit dry, but Shoe and Seanbaby are starting a board game review show, and I'm curious to see more:

I even commented on the video way back when it first went up to express my jealousy of Shoe's gaming table.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Is that an official product? It looks kind of amazing.

It also looks kind of print-and-play, and I'd be interested in finding out where I can get the files if that's the case.
Someone's made a Tabletop Simulator module for it, which is where I played it once. It's... a product of its time, but charming nonetheless.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:43 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Default Rambo: Legacy

Apparently someone is making a co-op tactical miniatures game with legacy mechanics based on Rambo? I don't even.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
*But I can figure it out. I played the game at a prerelease event for Starcraft 2 so *google google* it's been about seven years.
I've owned it since shortly after I started collecting board games in 2008 and have yet to get it to the table.

Anyone play Star Wars: Destiny? I tend to avoid CCGs as a matter of wanting to have food money but this one has its hooks in; I picked up a couple of each starter and made some full decks out of them. It's on Tabletop Simulator if someone wants to try it out, though I haven't quite gotten the hang of *playing* something on that thing yet.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:26 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Anyone play Star Wars: Destiny?
I haven't, but a bunch of folks at work are huge fans. We sold through something like 55 display boxes of the new booster set in less than three hours on launch day.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:53 PM
Space dad

Well if you know someone who's getting out of the game cheap lemme know
Old 05-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Anyone play Star Wars: Destiny? I tend to avoid CCGs as a matter of wanting to have food money but this one has its hooks in; I picked up a couple of each starter and made some full decks out of them. It's on Tabletop Simulator if someone wants to try it out, though I haven't quite gotten the hang of *playing* something on that thing yet.
That's weird, I want to try Destiny and have been considering making a blanket offer on the board to teach people to use Tabletop Simulator. What a crazy random happenstance!

Tags
afk , bard games , board dames , board games , board james , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it