The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 04-16-2017, 08:00 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
“some people dont think [unattractive british actor] is hot???

well

[image of unattractive british actor]

does

this

change

your

mind?”

[3 more images of unattractive british actor]

no it actually doesnt he still looks like a shoe
Old 04-18-2017, 10:00 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
The Universe is a space-time continuum in which all matter and energy exist. There is disagreement over whether the universe is indeed finite or infinite in spatial extent and volume. Many astronomers and cosmologists believe the universe is infinite, due to recent findings in NASA's WMAP project supporting a flat (and therefore infinite) universe. However, the observable universe, consisting of all locations that could have affected us since the Big Bang given the finite speed of light, is certainly finite. And yet, the universe is continually expanding. It will either continue to do so forever, or reach a point at which it begins to contract, in an event dubbed by scientists as The Big Crunch.

Both popular and professional research articles in cosmology often use the term "universe" when they really mean "observable universe". This is because unobservable physical phenomena are scientifically irrelevant; that is, they cannot affect any events that we can perceive.

This space-time continuum is ruled by Pa Gorg, Ma Gorg and Junior Gorg. Their self-claimed kingdom is only shown to be made of the Gorg's Garden, but it is hinted that there is more in the episode Sir Hubris and the Gorgs, as the legend says the Gorgs will be forced to wander The Universe. In the same episode it was revealed that a being known as Sir Hubris was once the ruler of the universe before handing his mantle over to King Gorgus the Great when he went to explore his vast kingdom. Several depictions have been shown, such as rolling woods and meadows in Fraggle Rock: The Animated Series, along with cliffs and canyons in the Archaia comic story A Throne Of My Own.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:06 AM
Find Your Reason

Man, I knew National Geographic had a severe dip in quality, but still...
Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 AM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

The first episode of Fraggle Rock opens up with a reference to Plato's allegory of the cave. Which is all the funnier because for the fraggles, the cave isn't allegorical.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:27 AM
D=

Default Breath of the Wild

Quote:
Quote:
I love that there are multiple times the game forces you to strip down to your undies.
I want to be a fly in the room when the Sheikah were coming up with these trials.

"Okay, guys, how about this: In order for the shrine to rise, the chosen hero has to stand at this exact point during the Blood Moon... naked!"

"Goddammit, Mijah Rokee, why do all of your shrine ideas involve being naked?"

"Hey, you're the one who wants to strand him on an island in his underwear for your trial."

"I just want to test his resourcefulness! I can't do that if I let him bring all his gear, now can I?"

"Suuuuuuure, Korgu Chidah. I'm sure this has nothing to do with that issue of Hylian Hotties I saw sticking out from under your mattress."
Old 04-20-2017, 07:48 AM
whatever it takes

Mijah Rokee is my spirit animal.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reductress
I used to have pretty unreasonable standards when it came to men. I’d turn them down no matter how great they seemed, simply because they didn’t meet the very specific set of expectations I’d developed over the course of my life. I stayed single for years, until one day, I finally gave up on the fantasy of meeting the ideal guy altogether – a motionless and slightly faded 27” x 41” poster image of Aragorn, from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Now, I’m finally ready to settle for a man who’s not that poster.

Everyone needs to have standards, but mine were keeping me from finding love with any man who wasn’t a poster of Aragon I taped to my wall in ninth grade. I compared every man I met to the man on that poster, judging whether or not he could fight orcs, raise an army of the undead as the true king of Gondor, or stay put on my wall for years and years, even after it got to be a little weird.

But I’m through with those expectations now, and I’m happy to say I’m dating a regular guy named David I met at a boat party. He might not have the pure heart or excellent swordwork of Aragorn, son of Arathorn, but he loves me very much and he’s a real human man who can walk and talk back to me, unlike my poster, which has never said a word no matter how times I’ve shouted, “Stand, Men of the West!” at it (approx. 200 times).

I do still enjoy the films regularly.

Anyway, I’m glad to say I’m no longer adamant about my old standards. They only set me up for disappointment when I realized, time and again, no man in my life would ever possess every single quality I looked for in a poster of Aragorn. At best, they would only possess one or two, for example, if they had a beard or their nickname was “Strider.”

But the most elusive quality he had was being a two-dimensional movie poster. I never, ever found a guy who could be that for me so I had to give up on it entirely. If you find yourself in the same situation, here’s my advice: Sometimes you have to meet men where they are. A man can’t be a poster any more than Aragorn can keep his lineage a secret, so don’t demand he become something he isn’t, especially not on your first date. I had to learn through experience you should never unfurl a poster of Aragorn at a Buca Di Beppo on a first date, point to it and say, “Can this be you?”

After all, dating isn’t about trying to make someone become your poster of Aragorn; it’s about finding someone you truly love for who they are. And that’s why I feel so free now that I’ve finally settled for a man who’s not just a picture of the Ranger of the North, heir of Isildur and confidante of Gandalf the White Wizard. He’s just a regular human guy named David and I love him for that.
source
Old 04-22-2017, 08:59 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Old 04-23-2017, 01:14 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Old 04-23-2017, 01:23 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Doesn't that person know that "rangers lead the way!"?
Old 04-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Old 04-24-2017, 05:03 PM
Safe Space

Old 04-24-2017, 09:53 PM
is Earnest

Hell yes
Old 04-25-2017, 11:57 PM
Chief Servbot

Old 04-26-2017, 03:56 AM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

I hear people talk about legendary petty on Twitter, but this level of commitment is the most brilliant and deeply impressive I have seen.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:08 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Someone sent that to me on tumblr, and my first impulse -- thankfully, successfully suppressed -- was to sign up for reddit just so I could like that post (or whatever they do on reddit, I don't know).
Old 04-26-2017, 03:29 PM
does the Underpants Dance

That is some kind of glorious.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:32 PM

Old 04-27-2017, 04:30 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

That's beautiful. I've run into some stupid stuff as a southpaw in my life, but I'm very grateful I only know this kind of evil through other people's stories. (Also very grateful this kind of evil is becoming less common.)
Old 04-27-2017, 10:53 AM
mellow dramatic

My first grade teacher got pretty upset when I wrote with my left hand and I think smacked my hand once or twice before my mom found out and chewed her out about it. If it had gone as far as duct tape and handcuffs I'm sure the result would have been similar to what that post describes.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:01 AM
This Guy

No one ever got onto me for writing left handed. They did get onto me for turning my paper sideways as I wrote, but that was only because you drag your hand through what you just wrote writing left handed and when you are done your hand is covered in ink/graphite. So would turn my paper 45 degrees and curl my hand up around the top to keep from dragging it through.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:03 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

My grandmother told my mother that she should tie my left hand behind my back so I'd grow up a righty.

My mother, who is herself left-handed, was not amused.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:03 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
No one ever got onto me for writing left handed. They did get onto me for turning my paper sideways as I wrote, but that was only because you drag your hand through what you just wrote writing left handed and when you are done your hand is covered in ink/graphite. So would turn my paper 45 degrees and curl my hand up around the top to keep from dragging it through.
I write right-handed but I do this exact thing.

People always tell me I write like a leftie. To the point I wonder if maybe I was supposed to be.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:08 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThricebornPhoenix View Post
My first grade teacher got pretty upset when I wrote with my left hand and I think smacked my hand once or twice before my mom found out and chewed her out about it. If it had gone as far as duct tape and handcuffs I'm sure the result would have been similar to what that post describes.
I'm a little skeptical of the post because I'm sure there was no need for the OP to fail any essay. Just telling her mother about the cuffs would have sufficed.

True story! I was born left-handed, but my mom forced me to use my right hand all the time when I was a kid. I'm dextrous now, but there are some things I can do better with my left hand - writing is not one of them (and I can't write 'right' with my dominant hand either, because I never learned to hold a pencil properly).

I don't remember her doing this, but she apologized to me for it when I was in high school and it explained so much. She did it because back then being left handed was seen as a handicap, and it would have made my K12 life harder. I can see her point, no hard feelings, spilled milk... but I wonder, from a childhood development perspective, what wires in my brain got connected differently from what would have been if I had kept my left hand as the dominant one.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Inkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
That's beautiful. I've run into some stupid stuff as a southpaw in my life, but I'm very grateful I only know this kind of evil through other people's stories. (Also very grateful this kind of evil is becoming less common.)
Seconded. My dad had his left-handedness beat out of him. I didn't have to suffer through that.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:15 AM
Inkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
I'm a little skeptical of the post because I'm sure there was no need for the OP to fail any essay. Just telling her mother about the cuffs would have sufficed.
Just speaking from my own experience, but sometimes the childish mind comes up with crazy stupid ways to protest stuff in school. I had a drafting class my freshman year in high school I didn't want to take, and the teacher was god awful and mean. So I deliberately failed the class. Nothing came out of it beyond my own smugness (which in retrospect is silly as shit), but I can see this story having some merit in terms of coming up with some bonkers plan to orchestrate the downfall of something problematic and feeling that it was your defiant action that was more important than the actual act of handcuffing students to their desks.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:55 PM
Ghost Student

Quote:
I always dragged my hand through the graphite and the whole edge of it would become shiny and gray.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:19 PM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caithness View Post
I always dragged my hand through the graphite and the whole edge of it would become shiny and gray.
Hand-buddies!
Old 04-27-2017, 03:54 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caithness View Post
Oh yeah, there were many days when I'd finish class and the bottom of my palm and pinky were covered in pencil smudge. I have a left-handed artist friend who swears by white cotton gloves for that reason.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:40 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

I've heard that there's some link between being forced to use your non-dominant hand and left-right confusion (the condition where you just can't remember which direction is right and which is left).

Also between L-R confusion and other sensory quirks, which I could buy because the one friend of mine who has L-R confusion also has synaesthesia, but that's a whole other conversation.

Tags
#sexpillows , bad wolf , black hole of humanity , cringe gallery , granos , humor , i am the fork , mine , ominous orchestral swell , perhaps missing the point , post 717782 , priming the pump , prissy little killjoys , professor anime , psychological issues , real life harry potter , sailor moon politics , the best of tt , the worst , this is the best post , tumblr is easy mode , twilight sparkle , twitter is easy mode , very important bothans , weep for humanity