The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 02-16-2015, 08:08 AM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
It also basically ended when the dominatrix tied him up in mid-air.

Do you people think I'm kidding?
Yes.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Hey, I tried to get someone else to do the tying so I could, I dunno, hit him or take back the evil ultra spellbook or something, but noooooo. Make Wandomi do all the tying up, that's all she's good for.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:04 AM
Fuckin' Crystals, maaaaan

My CMB is shit-tastic!

also I was already falling extra far down Q_Q
Old 02-18-2015, 05:25 PM
Banned

I was busy trying to make sure these fools didn't die by grabbing them before they hit the ground. Only managed to get one of them tho!
Old 02-26-2015, 10:23 PM

So I'm running the first session of my (first) campaign. TL;DR there's a spooky crypt and it has a spookier basement go kill things there. Anyway, the party gets a pair of magic swords off of some skeletons and decide to go sell them off. The guy who they sell them to is more interested in the bodies than the swords, and goes to investigate. Well, I roll a random encounter to see what kind of trouble they get into... and the generator spits out a herd of goats. I look at it like "What" and go to gen something else, but the party's like "NO NO WE WANNA FIGHT GOATS"

they ended up taming the goats and have hired a farmer to raise a goat farm in the basement of the awful haunted crypt. This is the first session.

Also something something bees
Old 02-26-2015, 10:25 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaularuKyrumo View Post
I look at it like "What" and go to gen something else, but the party's like "NO NO WE WANNA FIGHT GOATS"
To be fair, your alternative encounter was a pair of amoeba swarms when no one has any sort of AoE attacks. I say we were perfectly justified in wanting the original encounter.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:13 PM

To be fair, this was after you had three days of bedrest, and you'd already been up against a swarm of bees. Fool me once, etc etc.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:39 AM
and ermine, too

Setting: a gala party where Lord Barrister is showing off the fine silver raven statuette he swindled away from his impotent and ailing rivals, the Loyalars. In fact, the silver raven is the very symbol of the Loyalar household.

Martas Loyalar has been invited to the party. He is sad, and is wallowing in his drink. "That raven was in our family for five generations, and I lost it," he sobs.

Party guest Ivan, a living construct, tentatively identifies the man's emotional state. Deadpan, he attempts to comfort him. "There, there. If it makes you feel better, Lord Barrister is selling replicas in the gift shop."

A moment of silence.

"You can hardly tell the difference at a glance, look at mine."

Loyalar continues to cry.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:28 PM
Set phasers to hug

Setting: a continent inhabited solely by orcs (not innately evil in this setting), making first contact with ships full of humans, elves, and dwarves. In some areas, it's been peaceful; where this bit took place, a translation gaffe resulted in the settlers wiping out a local band of orc warriors.

Orc mythology holds that bodies must be cremated; the humans' practice of burying them is horrifying. And so, a wizard named Tlaxuati has taken it upon himself to make sure that the bodies in the recent battle get properly burned. He's presently hiding, accompanied by a priest of the god of mercy and death, with a Comprehend Languages spell up, as two humans and a dwarf start to bury one of the orcs. Earlier, I saw the dwarf ordering a faceless golem worker around, but the golem isn't here at the moment.

<dtsund> "Get ready to fight. I'm going to try spooking them, and they might run toward us."
<dtsund> "As soon as they lower the body into the ground, I'll surround them with a dense fog."
<Kalir> The two workers put the body in the hole carved out, and then start using shovels to move the dirt and stone back into the hole. They're having a much harder time of it than the "worker" was.
<dtsund> Can I control how the cloud from Fog appears?
<dtsund> I cast Fog at them; if I can, I have the fog cloud come billowing up from the hole they're filling in, surrounding them.
<dtsund> *Fog Cloud
<Kalir> You can and do. This, quite understandably, freaks everyone involved right the hell out. Through the fog, you hear the shoveling has stopped and shouts of concern and fear, and Shorty starts up with the [unknown] again, although they're just as afraid as the others by the sound of it.
<FuHanchu> Itopalli holds on to his weapon in anticipation.
<dtsund> I carefully approach the fog cloud, beckoning the Raider to follow, then start casting Prestidigitation repeatedly at the near end of the fog cloud.
<Kalir> What effect?
<dtsund> Auditory effects; bangs and whistles and the like.
<dtsund> Maybe a few sparks for good measure.
<Kalir> One of the workers shouts, "Their ghost?! Its anger is at our burial?!" You hear the clatter of their shovel following this, and see him streaking out of the fog, back towards the camp.
<Trar> lol
<FuHanchu> HAHA
<FuHanchu> Itopalli follows right behind the Seer.
<dtsund> At this point, I give my best creepy moan.
<Trar> "RETURN THE SLAAAAAB"
<Kalir> The woman follows suit, shouting "Our payment is to not our deaths!" Shorty lets off a string of [unknown], followed by "My worker, my worker! Your helping is to my survival!"
<FuHanchu> aw
<Kalir> Sounds like that stone worker will be back soon. If you want to burn the body, best do it before they get back, and DEFINITELY before Shorty or it can see you.
<dtsund> I sneak into the fog cloud and try to hurl an incendiary pellet onto the body, unseen.
<dtsund> Hm, wait
<dtsund> Lemme cast Invisibility first.
<dtsund> Then I do that other stuff.
<Kalir> You didn't have much time to research that spell, but all that illusions practice has paid off in experience, and before you know it, the spell is done and you vanish from sight completely. You have no trouble slipping in and dropping the flask of alchemist's fire in the hole, where it promptly ignites.
<Kalir> Your relief at getting the cremation done is quickly tempered by the fire burning away the fog.
<dtsund> What's shorty's immediate reaction?
<dtsund> Like, his two-second reaction.
<Kalir> What, to the fog disappearing and him seeing Itopalli standing before the now-burning grave?
<Kalir> Shorty responds, quite reasonably, by flipping out and just bolting towards the camp. At his size, it's possible to overtake him, but you'd risk getting seen by more people, or running into that stone worker.
<dtsund> Oh, I thought the fog would dissipate a little more slowly around the edges
<Kalir> Okay yeah I guess it wouldn't be a two-second burning.
<FuHanchu> oh crap
<dtsund> I mean, we can do that if you want
<Kalir> This is funnier.
<dtsund> In that case, I give chase, go visible again, beckon for the Raider to follow, and Grease under Shorty's feet.
<Trar> wonder if his name is actually Shorty
<FuHanchu> Itopalli, seeing the fog going away, lowers his weapon and bows to the burning corpse before turning tail and following. Maybe they'll get the idea?
<FuHanchu> wow, going out of your way to grease him too
<Trar> <dtsund> fuck you extra
<FuHanchu> this is going to be written as a slapstick comedy in two hundred years
<FuHanchu> when the tenapcola setting is globalized
<Kalir> !roll 2#1d20
<NotAht> Kalir: (2#1d20) 3 16
<Kalir> "Their ghost is to my murder! My worker, my w--" Shorty's panicking is cut short as their feet fly out from under them and they faceplant, hard, into the rocky path.
*Kalir sad trombone
<FuHanchu> oh man
<FuHanchu> that was totally unnecessary
<FuHanchu> poor guy
<dtsund> Is he looking at me?
<Kalir> You're pretty sure they only saw Itopalli, and right now they're currently trying to scrabble to their feet.
<dtsund> Then while he's distracted, I Disguise Self as the stone worker I saw earlier
<FuHanchu> pfffffffft
<dtsund> I walk ponderously up to shorty, until he can see me
<dtsund> Unless he got knocked unconscious by the fall, then I do something else
<Kalir> The illusion feels really weird, especially the part about not having a face, but it works. Shorty manages to at the very least get to a crabwalking position, so they can see both of you now.
<dtsund> Once I get reasonably close, I lean down slightly, and start screaming wordlessly at him.
<dtsund> For good measure, I make a few more Prestidigitation whizbangs.
<Kalir> PSYCHOLOGICAL CRIT
<Kalir> Shorty gets up and just BOLTS, screaming as wordlessly as you are. They veer clear of the stone worker that is ACTUALLY returning to the scene, heading very deliberately for both of you, and not exactly ponderously either.
<FuHanchu> Itopalli can't help but laugh. "Oi, I think you've given him enough trouble! Let's get out of here before the real thing wants to fight us!"
<dtsund> I hurl an acid splash at Shorty's leg as he gets up. Sculpt it so it doesn't do serious damage, but still stings enough that he knows he got hit by something and will have the burn to prove it.
<FuHanchu> aw, why
<FuHanchu> :P
<Kalir> Done and done. The stone worker and Shorty both respond to this by increasing speed, and you REALLY don't want to see what one of those fists could do to you.
<dtsund> FuHanchu: Because shorty seemed like the least superstitious of the bunch. Him adding this to the story will give it extra weight.
<dtsund> Can I outrun the worker?
<FuHanchu> you'd /hope/ so
<FuHanchu> Tlaxuati the Covert (annihilated by a stone giant)
<Kalir> What FuHanchu said. It seems to run about as fast as an orc its size, but the more time you spend sitting around and studying it, the more time spent getting PUNCH BY FIST.
<dtsund> I shout the Raider to start running, and do so myself, taking care to leave the grease patch between myself and the golem.
<dtsund> Well, Tlax doesn't know it's a golem. But the golem.
<Kalir> !roll 2#1d20
<NotAht> Kalir: (2#1d20) 1 18
<FuHanchu> Itopalli casts get the hell outta here.
<Kalir> Good thing you did, because the stone worker doesn't fare any better than Shorty when encountering the grease. That said, it's wasting no time in getting back up, so the two of you quickly retreat in a direction.

I'm hoping that after that little incident, none of them will be too keen on further burials, buying us some more time to figure out how to sneak in and cremate what we can.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:59 PM

So I run games using those critical hit/fumble decks.

There are some drow on a tower with a ballista, and the party's monk trying to bash the door down to get up to them. They nail him twice with nat 20s, with nat 20s to crit (which is the only way he ever gets hit because monks). He's down to 1 HP after this. Door goes down, he runs up in one round (again, monks), and Punishing Kicks one of them off the side.

Then the remaining 3 got their turns. First drow gets a nat 1- accidentally crits his friend, stabbing through his foot and pinning him to the ground. Said friend has two swords and fumbles twice, hacking up his own armor (presumably trying to get his boot off) and then spontaneously starting to bleed like crazy (which makes entirely too much sense).

Me: "OK now here comes Moe to sort this out..." At which point I roll the 4th straight natural 1 for these guys, causing him to slip and fall, presumably in all the blood.

And then we kinda had to take a break until I was able to stop laughing.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:58 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Rapier of Summon Glockenspiel (+2)

This masterwork Rapier is enchanted so that on every successful hit, a large heavy Glockenspiel appears with a loud noise near the place where the blade struck the enemy, and falls cacophonously to their feet, making the square where they are standing into difficult terrain. There is no limit to the number of glockenspiels that can be summoned (one per attack). The glockenspiels vanish after 10 minutes.

Any other effects of littering the battlefield with glockenspiels is left to the dungeonmaster's discretion.

+1 enchancement bonus
1d6 damage
crit threat 18-20/x2
(spell duration arbitrarily increased from 1 min to 10min because this is such a useless spell)

+320gp for Masterwork Rapier
+8000 for +2 weapon bonus
+1000 (.5 * 1 * 2000) for Summon Instrument, spell level 0, caster level 1, use-activated
Total price 9320gp
Quote:
Senester's Sap of the Enlightened Witness

This enchanted blackjack seems to be a normal masterwork weapon of its type until wielded by a person of non-lawful character. Only then is its true nature revealed. In addition to it's enchantment, anyone rendered unconcious by such a weapon may be affected, if the wielder so chooses, by a "Modify Memory" effect to muddy the circumstances in which he was rendered unconcious. The wielder must choose to enforce this option before the victim regains conciousness, or else he will have to knock them out again.

When purchased from "reputable" retailers, Senester's Saps come with a pamphlet to aid in the creation of a believable memory: "The Likeness and Mannerisms of a Suspicious Man". The pamphlet includes a full color portrait and detailed descriptions of the mannerisms of a man who some knowledgable individuals might be able to identify as those of Mannis, known producer of magic weapons for your upscale street thug and who less knowledgable individuals will recognize as a prominent mugger of some reknown with a reputation for being in multiple places at the same time.

Spell Effect: Modify Memory

Limitations: Cannot be used to "allow the subject to recall an event with perfect clarity". Effect can only be used on characters rendered unconcious by said weapon. Wielder must be non-lawful.

Mannis's Mace of Municipal Cleanliness

This wicked looking black mace acts as a normal masterwork weapon of its type until wielded by a person of non-lawful character. Only then is its true nature revealed. In addition to its enchantment, it also performs an important public service: Anyone slain by Mannis' Mace of Municipal Cleanliness has their corpse teleported six feet into the earth directly below. This effect fails if there isn't any appropriate unoccupied earth within the 100 vertical feet directly below the corpse. This effect does not destroy the body, it merely hides it.

When purchased from "reputable" retailers, buyers will find enclosed with the mace an easily destroyed letter from Mannis himself (Signed "M") which promises that if such a mace is used to kill Senester (and Mannis will know if that is the case), the purchaser will receive a full refund.
Quote:
Gauntlet Of Slugbug-No-Hit-Backs

When a foe is punched with this gauntlet, the attacker cannot be hit back without passing a Will saving throw, as if the gauntlet has cast Sanctuary (CL 1) on its wearer.

The effect only lasts for one round, or until the next attack, but can be sustained by repeatedly punching someone on every round. (attacking breaks the sanctuary spell, but a new one is immediately re-applied)

+305gp for Masterwork Gauntlet
+8000 for +2 weapon bonus
+2000 (1 * 1 * 2000) for Sanctuary spell, Spell level 1, caster level 1, use-activated.
Total price 10305gp

Fangs Of Delicious Nibbling

These hollow metal fang-caps can be attached to the teeth of any creature with a natural bite attack. They provide a +1 enhancement bonus (effectively making the creature's teeth a masterwork weapon)

One each day, when biting a foe, the attacker can choose to swallow what they bite off, and it will be transmuted by the fangs so that it will taste juicy and delicious. The attacker will be cured by 2d4 hp, and their hunger will be completely satisfied for the entire day.

+400gp for Masterwork unusual exotic weapon (arbitrary)
+8000gp for +2 weapon bonus
+360gp (1 * 1 * 1800 / 5) for Goodberry spell, spell level 1, caster level 1, command word activated, 1 use per day

Total price 8760gp
Old 04-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Reminds me of this ridiculous but actually kind of balanced nonsense.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:14 PM
McBear

The two sessions in which Nich and Brick conspired to make one of the most memorable and PTSD-filled lines in our streamed Flumph game:

"A hatch opens."

GaAaaaaaaaaaaaah.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:52 PM
Yes, let's feast!

In Fridays's session of the game I'm running, the cleric fails a save against cause fear and goes MIA for the rest of the battle. She's so ashamed about this that she decides to prove her bravery by facechecking the frost dart trap that's thwarting the party's attempts to access the Macguffin.

She's level 1, 10 Con. She has 8 HP. The trap does 3d6. She's the least qualified member of the party to take this trap square on.

So I roll... 2, 5, and 1. Staggered but not quite KO'd, she expends her last healing charge. The day is saved. You better believe I gave her an XP bonus. (I'm playing with the "bonus chips" houserule, where everyone gets a few tokens they can give to other players for doing cool things. She got a few from the rest of the party for that, too.)

Incidentally, the bard was out of heals by that point. If the dice had frowned on them and/or the rogue didn't have the foresight to shell out for a CLW potion before dungeon-diving, that could easily have been fatal.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:28 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

This is 5e right?* There is no way that trap could outright kill her from full HP unless her party completely botches the follow-up heal checks or there was some chance of it being a critical hit.

(I mean, still awesome, but fatal? eeeeeeh)

- Eddie

*That they made dying more difficult in 5e is actually something I quite enjoy.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:32 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
This is 5e right?* There is no way that trap could outright kill her from full HP unless her party completely botches the follow-up heal checks or there was some chance of it being a critical hit.

- Eddie

Don't you die immediately if you're reduced to negative HP equal to your max HP? That'd only be 16+ damage, which isn't impossible on a 3d6.

EDIT: also if they're staggered but not unconscious at 0, then it's not 5e; 5e doesn't have staggered.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:59 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

You're right. I am bad at math.

- Eddie
Old 07-25-2016, 06:05 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

On Friday my players had to remind me to give the characters money because I've been reading so many games that abstract it out or ignore it completely that I totally forgot about it.

Counting currency in a game just seems so quaint now.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:29 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

I'm running into a problem like that with 5e. Or, I think I am. The players don't get rewarded with cash much, and I'd like to keep magic items special and at least a little rare... but last time I gave them a heap of money as a reward they went back to town and kind of stalled out on what to spend it all on.

I haven't gotten any complaints or anything, but I'd hate to run a game where the players go unrewarded. I've been in a game like that, a 3.5 trainwreck where our ninth-level characters were decked out in fifth-level gear. Ever seen a wizard pawn the cloak off his back to buy spells for his spellbook?
Old 07-25-2016, 06:47 PM
:O

In our current 5e game we keep getting loads of cash that we spend on absolute garbage.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:54 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

One of the issues with 5e is the price suggestions for magic items in the DMG is *bonkers* given that many ridiculous items are pretty low rarity.

I've been fairly generous with treasure in my game and have allowed limited opportunities to purchase magic items, but with the intention that if PCs are going to buy magic items they'll be filling in gaps, not replacing their current gear.

There's a good thread on the Giant in the Playground forums where someone went through and gave the various DMG magic items actually sane prices. I can dig it up if anyone is interested.

- Eddie
Old 07-25-2016, 08:27 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post

- Eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Don't you die immediately if you're reduced to negative HP equal to your max HP? That'd only be 16+ damage, which isn't impossible on a 3d6.

EDIT: also if they're staggered but not unconscious at 0, then it's not 5e; 5e doesn't have staggered.
Pathfinder, so it's negative HP equal to max HP + Con score. 8 HP + 10 Con = 18, so it would have to do max damage. But I think she's the only one who took a rank in Heal, so if she'd gone seriously negative, it would have been bad business without that potion.

Also amusing: the start of the campaign was a prison break. To recover their stuff, they had to go into a vault where the guards had confiscated stuff from a whole bunch of other people. So of course they totally looted the vault, right?

Nah, they just grabbed their stuff and ran. I mean, yes, there were guards en route, but not even a quick Perception roll? A little piece of me died. It's a little refreshing to play with people who have almost no D&D experience, though
Old 07-26-2016, 03:30 AM
hi there

Alright, so. Lucas and Rebelfire are aware already, but I've been trying to GM a game in Pokémon Tabletop United. I was having trouble getting motivated to work on the setting, though, so I decided I'd run the game for people over on the Giant in the Playground forums, since play-by-post means I can make stuff as people look at it and no one really pays attention to the fact that actions take real-world hours to resolve.

Just now, one of the players went for her first gym badge. It was a Rock-type gym, whose primary Pokémon was a Shuckle with absurd defenses and Wrap, which lets you deal automatic damage when grappling something. She takes out the first two Pokémon, a Bonsly and an Amaura, with her Bronzor, but it has 1 HP left so Shuckle's sent in to basically peck it off.

Next she sends in a Geodude, but it doesn't manage to do much damage (like, it never did more than 1 on a given hit), and Shuckle grappled it and squeezed it dead faint.

She's only allowed to use one more Pokémon...so she sends out a Ditto, which immediately transforms into the Shuckle. The remainder of the fight is the two Shuckles wrestling with each other, trying to put each other into chokeholds.

Reminder (or attention, if you never knew): this is what a Shuckle looks like.

Please try to imagine two of those trying to strangle each other and tell me that doesn't seem like an amazing (and also adorable) scene.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:59 PM
and ermine, too

Moving this post here since I forgot this thread existed! It's been about 4 years since I've played Pathfinder. And despite enjoying D&D 5e, and appreciating 4e for what it is, I have an undeniable affinity for the fiddliness of 3.5 D&D that is consistent with my love for all of the little subsystems in Burning Wheel.

So we played Pathfinder. Got together with DemoWeasel and Comb Stranger, bought an adventure path adventure that we all agreed sounded pretty great, and went for it. We're logging here:

Iron Gods AP

There was a lot of good stuff in that first session, mostly in the dungeon.
  • The PCs recovered a corpse that happened to have a Russet Mold infection. Watch and Yohuali don't have the Knowledge skill to actually identify Russet Mold, and the players didn't suspect anything either, so I was making notes about the chest-burster problems they were going to have coming back out of the dungeon. Yohuali has a thing where he will pour one out for dead adventurers, so he grabbed the rogue's hip flask and poured one out onto his body, accidentally sterilizing the infection. I gave up the secret at that point, it was too good.
  • There was a memorable series of bad rolls in a warren full of traps and teleporting gremlins... Yohuali failed a Disable Device check and set off a swinging, spring-loaded spike at ankle height. I rolled to hit with the trap and got a natural 1. Everyone was on the same page for what that crit fumble had to be: one of the of the gremlins teleports in from outside the dungeon using Dimension Door at exactly the wrong time, and gets spiked in the shoulder. I roll damage, and it doesn't even die because of Cold Iron damage reduction, but it's only got 1hp and immediately scampers away clutching at the jagged spike in its shoulder.
  • Watch experiencing vague sense-memories from past lives really works for me as a way to explain high Knowledge check results, and totally fits the Android lore.
  • Outside the dungeon, Watch nailed a Diplomacy check to placate a malfunctioning, destructive repair robot crashing through the tavern. She is a Ranger archetype dealing specifically with constructs, and her Wild Empathy works on constructs instead of animals, and it came up almost immediately. Now the broken thing is chained up at home like an injured old lovable dog.

The first scene could have been better... I spent 15 minutes on NPC talky exposition at the start when all we really needed was some descriptive color about the town to set the mood. We had already fleshed out the characters and the starting situation from the adventure over IM and face to face; if Dolga seems boring, it's my fault for having her explain stuff we already knew before we started playing. Two years ago, I was pretty happy with how I handled stuff like this when we played 5e. I'm happier doing "lore" info-dumps between sessions, so the game is about what the PCs are doing.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:21 PM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

My best friend from college called me the other day specifically to tell me a D&D story from his youngest brother, who is now in college.

Evidently the party had come into a cave where they had to swim to get to the other side. The DM told the party that they had to remove their armor and equipment or they'd be too heavy to swim. Now my friend's brother (we'll call him J), playing a rogue, says that he wants to keep wearing his leather armor and take along a crowbar, some potions, his backpack, his thieves' tools, and maybe some other things too.

The DM is naturally skeptical of his ability to do this. J thinks it should work. But because this is college, and nobody has anything better to do, they decide to put J's claims to the test - in meatspace. They have access to a swimming pool outside. J gets decked out in several layers of sweaters and coats to emulate the leather armor. His friends find a sizable crowbar lying around somewhere. They give him a backpack, a box of random objects for the thieves' tools, and some shampoo bottles for potions.

He starts to lower himself into the freezing water. The DM tells him he has to swim to the other side of the pool and back. One of the other players leans down and tells J, "I'll give you $120 if you can do this." J says he's holding his friend to that.

They all stand by the pool and watch as J slowly makes his way to the other side, then back.

J arrives back at the session $120 richer, and the DM tells the players they don't need to bother rolling to see if they make it through the flooded cavern.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:45 AM
and ermine, too

Iron Gods Session 2

Spoilers if you're planning on playing this adventure at some point, naturally.

Cool stuff...
  • I love "draw 2, pick 1" for the critical hit and fumble decks. We're only using the Critical Hit deck for PCs, and only using the Fumble deck for NPCs, so it has the unintended side-effect of letting players have some kind of narrative control in the middle of a melee with a badass level 3 juju zombie Fighter. (Two crits and two fumbles in that fight!)
  • Going to the dice to see if there was a masterwork backpack available in Torch ('no', on a 90% chance of 'yes') kicked off a sequence of events I've been wanting to see ever since I read Keep on the Borderlands as a kid. It was pretty awesome to watch a PC actually take an evil NPC's cash and carry it out in a stolen backpack - cat burglar!
  • As we get farther into this dungeon, I can feel myself drawing on all of the James Raggi dungeons I've read. Not necessarily in terms of fuckery, but in the old school back and forth where the GM behaves more like a text parser.
  • Watch and Yohuali don't have any magic detection or Spellcraft between them. On one hand, it means things are properly mysterious (the techno-artifacts seem more knowable than some of the spell effects) but it also makes some things pretty random. Granted, you can't reasonably do the legwork on the part of the dungeon they just cleared without Comprehend Languages.

What could have been better...
  • We're awarding Hero Points from the APG using ad-hoc end of session mechanics ('ok, who did something cool this time?'). It mostly works, but it's generous. Pathfinder character sheets don't have any flags that naturally plug into reward systems like that, so we're winging it. I'd like to get something down as a rule, even if it's just codifying what we're already doing.
  • It's a minor thing, but I could have teased a bit more interaction out of Watch commissioning armor for her animal companion (armor for a giant alien chinchilla isn't something you see every day!)

Last edited by pence; 04-06-2017 at 07:25 AM.