The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 PM

Default Star Trek

Conclusion: It feels like a Star Trek movie, and the rebooting is handled in a clever and franchise-appropriate way. I gots no complaints. Lot of 60s' lensflares inserted all over the place, though. Also not totally sold on Urban as Bones.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 PM
gatchapon 3*

Au contrair--bones stole the show for me. he was the best dude there, and i loved every minute of it. This movie was everything I could hope for as a trek fan and a pragmatist who understands setting reboots.

The NY Times has a fabulous review that I wholeheartedly agree with.

The wife and I are gonna see it again as soon as possible. My main beef with the flick is that when it ended, there were no more episodes to watch. I'm totally sold on this.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 PM
To the Max

Hopefully I'll be able to see this tomorrow, and even as casual Star Trek fan I'm really excited.

Important question. Simon Pegg as Scotty: Good?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:36 PM
gatchapon 3*

fuck yeah he's good. He's better than good. He's goddamned stellar.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Not knowing the source material, I can say that this was a pretty badass movie and you all go see it.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:39 PM
To the Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
fuck yeah he's good. He's better than good. He's goddamned stellar.
Excellent. Honestly, he's my favorite actor in the film, and I was hoping he would get his due.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Au contrair--bones stole the show for me. he was the best dude there, and i loved every minute of it.
I thought he was great up until the emergency ship launch. Once he put the blue shirt on I felt that his acting got pretty wooden. Also he was pretty clearly playing Kelley, which was fine sometimes and other times felt forced. This is coming from someone who's enjoyed Urban's other roles, even, so I got nothin' against the actor.

Quote:
The wife and I are gonna see it again as soon as possible. My main beef with the flick is that when it ended, there were no more episodes to watch. I'm totally sold on this.
Huh, I have no interest in seeing it a second time. It was totally fine for a summer afternoon movie, but I dunno how much it's going to stick with me. That said, it does feel like a good start, and I am really looking forward to the next one.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:47 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Shivam and I rarely see eye to eye on things, but this one of the rare occasions where we agree 100% on absolutely everything about this movie. It's one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a long, long time.

The Spock/Uhura thing was a bit weird at first, but I think it works. Bones was incredible. I agree that in some scenes it sounded like he was trying a bit too hard to be DeForest, but that was when he was being really intense. That's Bones for you. Sometimes he's rambling and yelling and other times he's just normal. It was just a different take on the character, and I think it worked wonderfully. A young/inexperienced Chekov worked a lot better than I thought it would. Simon Pegg was amazing, as always. My only complaint about him was that he showed up late in the movie. I was initially skeptical of Chris Pine as Kirk, but man. He was pretty damned fantastic. I never used to like Kirk (compared the Picard anyway) because Shatner is such a ham, but Pine made me love him.

The only character I thought could've been better was Sulu. He had some slight comic relief, but it wasn't consistent enough to actually be comic relief. He had one action scene, but that's not enough to be a truly important character. He piloted the ship in the space battles, but those are all shown from the ship's exterior so it's hard to tell that he's even involved. He was just sort of there. It didn't work against the film, though. The core relationship between Kirk and Spock was there and that's really what matters.

I think the only thing you can fault this movie with is that, even though it's billed as a Star Trek for non-Trekkies, there's no real explanation given. The movie assumes that everyone has a vague Star Trek background (what the Federation is, what Vulcan is/are, etc.) from the get-go. You can figure out what's going on as you watch, but I'm sure someone is going to use this as an argument against this film. Thankfully, I saw the film with a non-Trekkie, and he loved it/was not confused at all. So I can safely say that if someone does use this as an argument, then they are just being a huge sourpuss.

This film is great, and I'm going to see it again. I've never seen a movie in theater twice ever in my life. Ever. But this one is gonna be the one that finally makes it happen.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunix View Post
Conclusion: It feels like a Star Trek movie, and the rebooting is handled in a clever and franchise-appropriate way.
This is key. It feels like a movie, not just a long episode. And yeah, the mechanics for the reboot are stellar, and tie in perfectly with one of "Star Trek's" oldest and most common tropes.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:22 PM
borgn

Seeing it tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to it immensely. I've already been spoilered by the reboot mechanic, unfortunately, but it makes sense and will ameliorate all the nerd rage about continuity problems.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I've never been big on continuity and somehow I've managed to avoid how the deal with it in the movie so far. Going to see it tomorrow (or tonight if lucky)

GeekDad over at Wired says that for viewers of the original show there are lots of little easter eggs in the film for them to enjoy and a second viewing was recommend, just for that reason. I guess if you're not that steeped in ST it won't matter.

Besides don't you go a second time to ruin the movie for your 1st time viewing friends?
Old 05-08-2009, 04:27 PM
#deadfish2017

I liked it but split timeline? Lord knows we've got enough on our hands with Zelda. Now we have to keep track of two Star Treks as well?
Old 05-08-2009, 04:52 PM
I. Love. It.

It was awesome. I'm considering seeing it a second time, and I've only ever seen a handful of movies twice in theatres.

Simon Pegg was great as Scotty, my only complaint is that he never appeared until past the half-way point. All the time I was wondering '...where the hell is Scotty?'

If we get a second movie or a new TV franchise out of this I'll be happy as a big nerdy clam.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Bald Gendou

You guys, this was a great movie.

Though seeing a film about alternate realities and then getting in my car to hear Adam Corolla on Loveline was a little confusing.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:41 AM
enema of the world

Having just started watching TNG for the first time, in order, on Netflix, the only episode that was obviously cringeworthy was Skin of Evil. Tasha Yar dying was good (hated the character and the actress) even if the death itself was dumb. But WOW was it bad.

But the one-two punch of A Matter of Honor immediately followed the next episode by Measure of a Man was awesome. A Matter of Honor is when the series really started to get awesome for me. I'm now a few episodes into season 3 and loving it.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Your life is forfeit

Both, actually.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Your life is forfeit

Büge, is it physically painful to be so wrong?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:24 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

My two cents on The Motion Picture:

It probably should have been a complete trainwreck. Everyone knows about the crazy script battles, the fact that there was literally no time to edit the film, etc. In the end, it was probably only saved by the fact that it was made by one of the greatest directors of the 20th Century (a guy whose mere presence was enough to get Nimoy on board).

The problems are really obvious though. First, you talk a lot about the tension between the crew, but it's really not super evident. Mostly, everyone looks bored. Shatner mostly phones in his performance. There is literally no chemistry between Decker and Illia (and apparently the actress who played Illia was so wretched that she had to do like 20 takes just to get one line correct). Decker himself is about as interesting as a plank of wood.

I mean, you can tell me that there's all this discomfort between the crew, but there's no real opportunity for that come out. There's supposed to be all this tension between Kirk and Decker, but there's more to tension than just arguments. You don't see the tension in their body language. They're just kind of stand there through the movie. Spock and McCoy do almost nothing in this film (Spock leaves the ship at one point, but it feels completely random until he explains his motivations). The Kirk-Spock-McCoy triangle barely exists, which is unfortunate, because that was a large part of the appeal of the original series. There's not even a lot of opportunity for tension between the three. When it comes to the characters motivations, there's a lot of telling, but not a lot of showing.

The script is also really thin, and the actors didn't much chance at all to ad lib and play to their characters. The constant rewrites watered down anything that might have been dramatic. The fact that Roddenberry didn't know how to end the film til 3/4s of the way through shooting meant that there's no real buildup to the conclusion. It just kind of putters along, then it ends.

I can understand the appeal of this film. It takes its time, it fits in neatly with the 2001/Alien era of sci-fi, and its not complete schlock like Star Trek V. But its also hampered by an uneven script (to put it mildly), a lack of tension, terrible pacing, and some really bad performances. It's not boring just because they spend five minutes circling the Enterprise. It's boring for a lot of reasons.

I can appreciate a slow sci-fi film. The opening scenes of Alien are some of my favorite sci-fi ever. I like the aesthetics of the 70s. But Motion Picture? It was doomed from the beginning due to any number of factors, not the least being that Gene Roddenberry couldn't execute his story and wouldn't work with anyone who could. Wise saved it from being unwatchable, and he really did improve the Director's Cut immeasurably, but interesting ideas and visuals does not make a good movie. It barely makes for a mediocre one.

All that said, given a choice between Motion Picture and all of the TNG films, I'd take TMP every time.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 AM
King Of Space-Time

I've always thought TMP was more comtemplative Sci-Fi, not unlike the opening years scenes of 2001. Yeah it's not whizzing by but sometimes you need to stop and ponder.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
I've always thought TMP was more comtemplative Sci-Fi, not unlike the opening years scenes of 2001. Yeah it's not whizzing by but sometimes you need to stop and ponder.
I disagree. Things happened in the quiet moments of 2001. In TMP, it was mostly just people staring at stuff happening elsewhere.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Daber.txt

Best things about TMP:

1. Blaster beam.
2. Enterprise Refit
3. Disco McCoy

Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

My biggest problem with that article is that you said Insurrection was mediocre.

My biggest problem with Star Trek TMP is that I don't hate it but I don't like it either, and Wrath of Khan is literally right next to it on my shelf.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Gesundheit!

Going to bat for Elementary, Dear Data, even though the sequel episode in season 6 is far better.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Dinger!

Agreed.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:52 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Oh, when I said "Face of the Enemy," I actually meant "The Neutral Zone."
Old 12-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Daber.txt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
My biggest problem with that article is that you said Insurrection was mediocre.
I hope you wanted it to say that it was awful.

Also: Bloopers are horrifying.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:39 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
I hope you wanted it to say that it was awful
I never finished it because the DVD I was watching it on was damaged, but the first hour worked fine and it was absolutely terrible. So...yeah, pretty much. Unless if the second half is somehow the greatest thing of all time, then it's pretty awful.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:31 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I never finished it because the DVD I was watching it on was damaged, but the first hour worked fine and it was absolutely terrible. So...yeah, pretty much. Unless if the second half is somehow the greatest thing of all time, then it's pretty awful.
And somehow Picard vs Bane is worse!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:25 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Interesting read so far. Michael Piller definitely seems "old-school" in the way he loved baseball, movies like Gone with the Wind, etc. It's really a shame those sensibilities didn't make it into the final movie, which was.... beige.

Browns and beige! And mother of pearl!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:53 PM
120 Days

"His demands seemed impossible at first glance. Even self-destructive. And yet, I couldn’t escape one huge reality. Star Trek worked. Or it had
for thirty years. Gene must be doing something right."

Worked in spite of him i think.

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher