The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 11-20-2010, 11:11 AM

DOOM 3 is okay, but not nearly as good as DOOM I&II IMO.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:13 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

By the way, is there a way to play Doom 1 and 2 on a modern PC? Is there a way to GET Doom 1 and 2 on a modern PC?
Old 11-20-2010, 11:19 AM

There are plenty of fan-made versions to run on current PCs. What I did was install my copy of Doom Collection, and just shut down explorer in the Task Manager so the graphics aren't all garbled.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Kills Thousands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrison
If you don't own DOOM anymore, you can get it very easily off of Steam and just copy the WADs over to any file that you decide to use for any of these. If you want my recommendation, just buy the DOOM Pack that I linked. For $10 extra, you get DOOM 3 and its expansion. For those of you wanting to play it on the cheap, then I fully endorse getting DOOM II only. Either way, you can't lose.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:54 AM

And as far as playing them on a PC, you can use various engines to do so (I use ZDoom). Garr covers that as well.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:06 PM
swimming with nanocarp

If you've got an Android phone, this is pretty fun and silly:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/20/d...hone-into-a-p/
Old 11-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Banned

I cleared Inferno earlier. I haven't been able to defeat the spider with Rockets but was able to do it with a couple other weapons. Now, onto Doom II! Or, should I play Thy Flesh Consumed first?
Old 11-22-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
I cleared Inferno earlier. I haven't been able to defeat the spider with Rockets but was able to do it with a couple other weapons. Now, onto Doom II! Or, should I play Thy Flesh Consumed first?
I'd say, start with Thy Flesh Consumed.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:51 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Bump bump bump!

So what are some of the mods and such I'd want in ZDoom or GZDoom to get all the jumping, lighting, and 3d gibbing?

I thought I saw someone (Lilfut?) talking about this somewhere or even maybe linking a video but I can't find it now

Help a Guy out!
Old 04-27-2014, 12:21 PM

I think you just need 'brightmaps.pk3' and 'lights.pk3', which comes with gzdoom.

There's also the Brutal Doom mod which adds fatalities and gore, but it doesn't preserve the vanilla experience. (version 19 of Brutal Doom, and a newer version by a new author)

Jumping is enabled in the options menu, under compatibility. Set to either 'default' which allows wads to disable it, or 'always on'.

As long as you are updating the visuals, you should poke around the graphics / OpenGL options too.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:56 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Hey wow this thread shows up right as I start getting super into Doom. Anybody play ZDoom Wars?

By the way, Zandronum is the best source port. It's the only one with an active online community that I know of, even.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:00 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfut View Post
Hey wow this thread shows up right as I start getting super into Doom. Anybody play ZDoom Wars?

By the way, Zandronum is the best source port. It's the only one with an active online community that I know of, even.
This is a really old thread I just revitalized. Anyway when you sat source port you mean something like GZDoom, right? Does it have all the stuff that GZDoom has in it?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:07 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
This is a really old thread I just revitalized. Anyway when you sat source port you mean something like GZDoom, right? Does it have all the stuff that GZDoom has in it?
Yep! To the best of my knowledge it's actually a fanmade update to GZDoom, or something like that.

On another note: anyone know any good resources for custom mapping?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:20 PM

There's an active forum at doomworld for editing. I've used it before to ask simple questions about modding the game. They'll probably know how to point you towards all the tools and tutorials you would need.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Banned

One of these days, I tell ya. One of these days I am going to pick me up some Brutal Doom and just have the grandest ol' time
Old 04-27-2014, 05:37 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

It's fun to go back and read old posts from yourself and see things that you can't even believe you would ever say.

I mean, I still love Doom don't me wrong. It's great. But...uh, some questionable word choices and hyperbole, there.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:49 AM

Mega-Man based doom has been what I've been rocking when I get the urge for some Doom.
Edit: Took me a bit to find it, but here it is. Version 4 should be out sometime in april it says, but with a few days left..
Old 04-28-2014, 01:48 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Whenever I read about people asking for jumping and lighting and gibs in Doom I feel a little bit sad. Then I feel like an asshole for feeling any kind of negativity towards anyone's choices of how they play a fucking videogame.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:14 AM
Espurrs are proud.

GZDoom and derivitaves with jumping make nuts.wad completable, though.

Brutal Doom visuals, however, make nuts.wad crash your system no matter what processor you have.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:16 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Brutal Doom is a fun novelty and not Doom at all.

I can't even play ZDoom without editing it so the framerate is lower. 60fps Doom don't feel right to me! I also change it so you can't look up or down...

I'm such a Doom nerd Though thankfully not to the point where I play keyboard only
Old 04-28-2014, 12:13 PM

I just like being able to play Doom with more modern FPS controls. Though really, it wasn't until ZDoom/Doomsday that I finished Heretic for real. I like Doom 64's conversions, mostly because it's a nice mix of creepy/scary atmosphere and blasting hordes of monsters. Well, and because the levels are really creative and fun, even if it's not quite the same as the id campaigns.

I felt like Hexen aged really poorly though. The game's pretty much about getting to switches at the end of various levels (with no clues whatsoever) to open up other levels or unlock access in the main hub, combined with hiding things behind annoying jumping puzzles. Hexen 2, on the Quake engine, was a lot more fun. It had some of the same issues, but a little bit better balance, and each class's weapons were a lot more useful, along with their class perks.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:16 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Brutal Doom is a fun novelty and not Doom at all.

I can't even play ZDoom without editing it so the framerate is lower. 60fps Doom don't feel right to me! I also change it so you can't look up or down...

I'm such a Doom nerd Though thankfully not to the point where I play keyboard only
Snob. The proper term is doom snob.

What resolution are you playing with? Real men only platy at 240x480.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Got GZDoom working last night. Played through some original DOOM with the Brutal mod. It was a lot of fun. It's been a long time since I played DOOM, I'm pretty damn rusty. Also not used to aiming in the game, that will take some time to get used to.

Looking forward to playing Heretic again.

I never liked Hexen.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I felt like Hexen aged really poorly though. The game's pretty much about getting to switches at the end of various levels (with no clues whatsoever) to open up other levels or unlock access in the main hub, combined with hiding things behind annoying jumping puzzles. Hexen 2, on the Quake engine, was a lot more fun. It had some of the same issues, but a little bit better balance, and each class's weapons were a lot more useful, along with their class perks.
Man, I just finished Hexen 2 and have little love for that one. Then I promptly replayed some of Heretic and Hexen. Hexen is my favorite of the lot. It has its own issues but there's something about it that is greater than the sum of its parts. Maybe we should create a Heretic/Hexen thread?
Old 05-08-2014, 08:49 AM
Espurrs are proud.

I've been playing a lot of Samsara lately. Basically it's a class mod that lets you play as characters from various classic FPSes, and it's just really a lot of fun, especially in co-op. Then there's all these little touches, like how Chex Warrior is the defensively-oriented Tank class because, as the thread puts it, "Chexter ain't got time to bleed...or the rating to", or how B.J. Blazkowicz gets a smaller weapon selection than the other characters, or how killing a Pain Elemental with Parias's Frost Shards or Duke's Freezethrower doesn't make them explode. Not to mention... well, just play somebody other than Chex Warrior in Chex Quest. Go ahead.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:00 AM
Doin' up the house

I have a ton of WADs and mods I downloaded a while back, and I haven't really played DOOM in a while and there's still a list of mods and levels I want to download and yeaaaahh. I DID download Strife recently, because of the Ross's Game Dungeon episode about it. (Go watch it.) Might give it a whirl later.

I would like to recommend Cold as Hell as a top notch TC for GZDoom. I still need to finish it, but it's a wonderful experience. Think early Call of Duty meets hellspawn. Beautiful Doom is a good graphics enhancement mod as well. The Doom The Way iD Did series is also excellent if you can't get enough of the original levels' overall aesthetic. I must also recommend this level.

Heck, I still need to finish DOOM 3. Been sitting on that one for years now... (And Chex Quest. And DOOM II on UV. And the first game on Nightmare!)
Old 06-04-2014, 07:08 AM

Doom 3's one of the fine wines of gaming: just gets better with age.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Doin' up the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
Doom 3's one of the fine wines of gaming: just gets better with age.
I would recommend the classic Cyberdemon mod (which makes it vulnerable to weapons damage) and Killatomate's weapons mod (which makes the weapons not bad). With these two, D3 is indeed good.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:39 AM

I think I might give BFG edition a try sometime, since I own it anyway. I liked Doom 3/Resurrection of Evil well enough, even if they're way different from Doom 1 and 2.

Is Chex Quest legally free to download/available anywhere or is it tied up in some weird copyright thing?
Old 06-05-2014, 04:44 AM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I think I might give BFG edition a try sometime, since I own it anyway. I liked Doom 3/Resurrection of Evil well enough, even if they're way different from Doom 1 and 2.

Is Chex Quest legally free to download/available anywhere or is it tied up in some weird copyright thing?
The original Chex Quest and Chex Quest 2 are technically copyright-protected. However, lead artist of those games, Charles Jacobi, made a sequel (Chex Quest 3) that includes both of the original games, and released it for free. That release includes some version or other of ZDoom, but you can just take the IWAD out and your source port of choice will probably support it. It's CHEX3.WAD, which more or less completely subsumes the original CHEX.WAD.

Tags
doom , first-person shooters , huge guts , id software , rip and tear