The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 07-17-2017, 01:52 PM
It's all good, man

Every Zelda game that needed to make the list did.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:02 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
y u steppin
FFV is my favorite game but I'm still with Turtle on this one. PS version came out in 1999, and a new localization and a bonus dungeon isn't enough to be a new game unless you just want to count the Bonus Dungeon itself.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:08 PM
do-do-doo do-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
I would've expected this one to not be counted. Aside from the bonus dungeon, it's virtually identical to the SFC game.
Quote:
Absolutely not. It's got new graphics, new script, new mechanics, and it's portable.
Heck, I considered the DS version of DQV to be not enough of a remake (though I was on the fence). I had two remakes on my list (Tactics Ogre PSP, and Wild Arms AC:F) because they had substantial changes to story (mostly TO) and game mechanics, in addition to new graphics/scripts/etc. But that's just me.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:30 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
unless you just want to count the Bonus Dungeon itself.
And that isn't worthy of any 'top 50' list, unless it's 'Top 50 Worst Ideas Ever Conceived In Video Games'
Old 07-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Gosh It's Hot!

Quote:
y u steppin
A pettier man would have put Geno on his Mario list.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Inkster

Or on this list. Geno the Game: 21st Century Edition. Featuring No Marios from Super Mario series & Mallow
Old 07-17-2017, 06:42 PM
Sudden chomper

I'm flabbergasted that Rock Band didn't make it onto this list in some form. Ace Attorney, too, although I expect the votes were fairly split in the case of that series.

Breath of the Wild is a great game, but I wouldn't put it at number 1 (and I didn't!).
Old 07-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Gosh It's Hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I'm flabbergasted that Rock Band didn't make it onto this list in some form.
I figured that was the series you were talking about upthread. The vote for it was split pretty heavily as well, plus like sports games it just doesn't have as much traction here.

That's what's been really interesting about this list and the responses to it, I think. We all spend our time in specific threads so we end up in feedback loops and assume certain games have more forum-wide appeal than they actually do. I was shocked Dark Souls didn't end up in the top 5 even though I really should not have been, for instance.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:03 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
And that isn't worthy of any 'top 50' list, unless it's 'Top 50 Worst Ideas Ever Conceived In Video Games'
Would not even make the 'Top 50 Worst Ideas Ever Conceived In Final Fantasy updates'

The Cave of Ordeals is all bats. Bats! All the way down.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:12 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Why anyone would want to read another one of these lists is beyond me, but here we go!

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. The Last of Us
3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
4. Diablo 3
5. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
6. Civilization V
7. Portal
8. Shadow of the Colossus
9. Team Fortress 2
10. StepMania / DDR Max 2 *
11. The Witcher 3
12. Super Smash Brothers Melee
13. FTL
14. Mario Kart 8
15. Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8
16. Rock Band
17. Dwarf Fortress
18. Age of Empires III
19. Dark Souls
20. GTA Vice City
21. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
22. World of Warcraft
23. Fire Emblem Awakening
24. Wii Sports
25. Fruit Mystery

Honestly the only game I really have any misgivings about putting on my list is Dark Souls. I played Dark Souls some and while I recognize its quality, I just never got into it like others have. I tried err on the side of my own reactions to a game for this list, but for Dark Souls, public momentum won out. Otherwise I think I was pretty true to myself.

For instance, while I know Fruit Mystery is a technically a terrible game, I was in tears laughing the first time I played it. Good games that have dragged on for dozens of hours have made me feel less than Fruit Mystery did in five minutes.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:05 AM
#deadfish2017

Fruit Mystery was a good choice.

It is the only good choice.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:20 AM
the :motion: stands

Here's my list

1 Nier - I'm a bit surprised this didn't place, but I guess our Deptford-based renaissance was quite some time ago.
2 The Binding of Isaac - I've put more time into this game than anything other than World of Warcraft
3 WarioWare Twisted - Hands-down the best WarioWare game, and a strong example of haptic feedback done sublimely
4 Zelda: Breath of the Wild
5 FTL - I've put more time into this game than anything other than BoI and WoW.
6 We Love Katamari - Expanded the original game into some lovely territory. The firefly stage is a wonderful reinterpretation of the originals' ruleset and one of my favorite video game experiences.
7 Katamari Damacy
8 Metroid Prime
9 WarioWare
10 VVVVVV - tight platformer with wonderful music. I've bought this more times on more platforms than any other game
11 Shadow of the Colossus
12 Pikmin 2 - Great expansion from the first game's tight, controlled timed quest.
13 Pikmin - Tight, quick experience that naturally turns subsequent playthroughs into speedruns.
14 Bioshock 2 - Loses the original's open world, but adds a compelling relationship to the story. It diverges enough from the original that I can understand that people wanting more of the same would be turned off. I probably should have voted its Minerva's Den DLC to my top 10.
15 Etrian Odyssey 4
16 Super Smash Bros Melee
17 Virtue's Last Reward - Voted for mostly because it really stuck with me, though it's not great for replays and the new character models and animations sucked a lot of charm out of things.
18 The Witness - Excellent game that is far more expansive than it first seems. The plot is interesting but I can see it being a disappointment for some.
19 Fez - Fun, tight platformer that turns into a weird puzzle game that's easier than you initially think.
20 Shovel Knight
21 Geometry Wars - Genre-defining score shooter with amazing music
22 R-Type Final - Wonderful send-off to the series (fuck Tactics) that would have been a lot stronger with more stages. I can't imagine unlocking all 101 ships at this point in my life, but it was fun as hell when I was younger.
23 World of Warcraft
24 Destiny - On my list due to how much time I've put into it, much like WoW
25 SSX 3 - The race that takes you from the top of the mountain through every course in the game all the way to the bottom is a sublime experience. I was very disappointed that Steep wasn't more directed. I was looking forward to it being a replacement for SSX 3

Although as I've posted, there are quite a few games that would have placed on my list had I thought about them, namely:

Majora's Mask
Silent Hill 2
Cave story
Ghost trick
Okami
Bioshock

Last edited by Adam; 07-18-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:21 AM
It's all good, man

You thought of Bioshock 2 but not Bioshock?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:26 AM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

Bioshock 2 is way cooler than Bioshock 1. Also it has the ayn rand version of it's a small world
Old 07-18-2017, 01:26 PM
the :motion: stands

I have no idea how that got on there.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Definitely not a werewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
22 R-Type Final - Wonderful send-off to the series (fuck Tactics) that would have been a lot stronger with more stages. I can't imagine unlocking all 101 ships at this point in my life, but it was fun as hell when I was younger.
Oh man, I love R-Type Final, but I think that it needs a better first stage more than it needs more stages. 7-ish stages per run is pretty typical for a shmup, and it's got like 14 if you include variant stages. But the first stage is boring as hell, especially after you've played it several hundred times. There's almost no level geometry, the miniboss is a damage sponge, and there are large sections where basically nothing is happening on screen. The music is mostly just eerie environmental sounds and muted electronic percussion (surprisingly provided by former Capcom composers Yuki Iwai and her husband Takayuki Iwai), which doesn't help, either.

While it would be contrary to the tone I think the game was trying to convey, the opening stage probably should have been a little more bombastic (like every other game in the series).
Old 07-19-2017, 08:34 AM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Oh man, I love R-Type Final, but I think that it needs a better first stage more than it needs more stages. 7-ish stages per run is pretty typical for a shmup, and it's got like 14 if you include variant stages. But the first stage is boring as hell, especially after you've played it several hundred times. There's almost no level geometry, the miniboss is a damage sponge, and there are large sections where basically nothing is happening on screen. The music is mostly just eerie environmental sounds and muted electronic percussion (surprisingly provided by former Capcom composers Yuki Iwai and her husband Takayuki Iwai), which doesn't help, either.

While it would be contrary to the tone I think the game was trying to convey, the opening stage probably should have been a little more bombastic (like every other game in the series).
I also had RTF on my list and I agree with this. The first stage has an awesome idea behind it, but in execution it's more or less just a pretty background.

I associate it strongly with the giant enemy crab miniboss that does nothing and takes like 6 hours to defeat no matter what ship you're using.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:54 AM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

If I don't start posting my list tonight, someone yell at me on Discord or IRC or PMs or something so I actually start on it
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
do-do-doo do-doo

I decided to revise my list, based on:

- Games I completely forgot about
- Rethinking placement of some games on the original list
- Limiting myself to 1 game per franchise (not counting Theatrhythm, since it's a completely different kind of game)

1. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
2. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
3. Katamari Damacy
4. Shadow of the Colossus
5. Astro Boy: Omega Factor
6. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
7. Wild Arms 3
8. Super Smash Bros. 4
9. Metroid Zero Mission
10. Dragon Quest VIII
11. Suikoden III
12. Metal Gear Solid 3
13. Frog Fractions
14. Undertale
15. Final Fantasy X
16. Crimson Shroud
17. Capcom vs. SNK 2
18. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call
19. Resident Evil 4
20. Batman: Arkham Asylum
21. Advance Wars 2
22. Civilization III
23. One-Way Heroics
24. 2064: Read Only Memories
25. FTL

Also, in a pointless exercise in pretending that objectivity exists in a way that could be applied to this list, here are the games that I think deserve to be in the top 50 (maybe I'll write stuff about the other games later, or maybe I'll just write a bunch more about DQ):

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - This is a game that a lot of people probably haven't played, and that many people who have just bounced off of (if this was because it it's so different from the previous games, though, you were wrong). Figuring it out takes some effort, and the game itself is not very helpful with that.

This is a JRPG in which the environment you are exploring is the same one where battles take place; the enemies in the environment are not abstractions of the ones you fight - if there are 3 Goos in a room when you initiate a battle, you will be fighting 3 Goos; the layout of the environment is important both before and during battle - you can lure one Goo away from the others and fight it by itself, or you can gather them close together so you can hit them all right away with aoe attacks - using tools that serve these purposes, among others; there are no random encounters - enemy placement is fixed, and they do not respawn* - but you can also avoid fighting most enemies if you want/are able to. Most of this is unheard of, especially in JRPGs, and it all works (though there's room for improvement, of course).

In every Breath of Fire game, the main character has the ability to transform into a dragon. It seems to me like they were always trying to make this a powerful, but limited resource - it had high AP (MP) costs, and AP recovery items were limited. But you could always recover AP at an inn, so it couldn't be too powerful, or else it just becomes a way to trivialize boss fights (this is exactly what happens in parts of BoF3, iirc). In Dragon Quarter, you can, if you choose, completely overpower anything you come up against with your dragon form, and it is incredibly satisfying. However, you are limited on how much you can use it over the course of the whole game. Every dragon action increases a counter in the corner of the screen, and if it ever gets to 100%, the game is over. And there's no way to lower that counter*. It ends up being important to not only choose whether or not to use those powers, but also to be efficient with them when you do.

(*The exception to these is another mechanic that would take a long time to describe; maybe later)

Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Super Smash Bros. 4
Frog Fractions
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call
Batman: Arkham Asylum

Tags
50 games > hotline miami , all games are good , all phones are bad , bae > talking time , democracy was a mistake , falselogic likes to watch , full life consequences , list all the gaems , madhair60 fps , multiple persona disorder , top 50 countdown