The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 07-10-2017, 09:05 PM
This Guy

I've been reading some lesser known Agatha Christie, So Many Steps to Death and They Came to Baghdad. Did you know she wrote some Bond-esque spy mysteries? The two I've read feature an unassuming woman who gets recruited to do some spying an stumbles ass backwards into helping people out. They are like Bond movies if you take Bond out and have his female companions solve everything. I'm not quite sure if that is great or not.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:32 AM

The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland
Old 07-11-2017, 12:59 PM
oh my car

Y'all better be reading 17776. Updates daily.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:31 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Done with Guards, Guards, which was a lot of fun. Another one of the really good early Discworld books.

I thought I'd take a break from Discworld for now, so I decided to go for something completely different. After watching the movies half a year ago I started reading Atlas Shrugged. It makes me laugh a lot - the characters are ridiculous, especially the main one feels more like a robot.

Also, everyone knows how Tolkien goes on and on about the landscape? Rand does the same, only with a steel factory. Not good in any way, the whole thing, and way too long, but surprisingly entertaining. Reminds me of Twilight, in terms of quality.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:34 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
I love how the key joke remains "nobody in the NFL actually knows what the fuck a completion / possession actually is"
Old 07-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Does anyone have any other Lem recommendations? I want to read more, eventually.
The Futurological Conference - A bunch of futurists go to a conference, get caught up in a riot, get dosed with hallucinogens, and have problems figuring out what's really happening.

The Cyberiad - A pair of robot engineers roam through the universe and have whacky adventures with other robots.

Tales of Pirx the Pilot - Average astronaut gets in and out of trouble (generally by the seat of his pants).
Old 07-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
In a way the setting for the story is almost exactly the opposite of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, and yet the story itself is almost the same one.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:17 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
The Futurological Conference - A bunch of futurists go to a conference, get caught up in a riot, get dosed with hallucinogens, and have problems figuring out what's really happening.

The Cyberiad - A pair of robot engineers roam through the universe and have whacky adventures with other robots.

Tales of Pirx the Pilot - Average astronaut gets in and out of trouble (generally by the seat of his pants).
Thank you!
Old 07-14-2017, 08:51 AM

The Quincunx by Charles Palliser
Old 07-15-2017, 11:01 AM

My DNF game has unfortunately been very strong this year. I gave this last one about 65 pages before calling it quits. Anyway, reading something a little bit lighter: Strip Tease by Carl Hiassen. Never read anything by him, so this should be interesting
Old 07-17-2017, 07:24 AM
Video Monster

Finished American Gods last week. Very good. Want to check out the TV show now. Also now I feel like reading a bunch of folklore and myth.

Instead I'm reading 1984 because I never finished it when I was supposed to read it back in high school.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:55 AM
-ryn

Continuing to mine the top fantasy novels list for all the stuff I should have been reading.

Just finished The Lies of Locke Lemora and man, what a wild ride. Its like ASoIaF (gritty realism, magic on the edges) combined with like an Ocean's Eleven caper. I really like the fantasy bits. Most of the magic being alchemy isn't really that different from our modern world. A glow stick isn't really that different from a glow globe. Other than the Falconer, it feels like a realistic place (sort of Venice with a dash of London in some of the district names). I really liked the story jumping back and forth between past and present to keep the story going but also gradually fill me into the details needed to understand the world.

So thanks again to the top fantasy novels list. Another good recommendation.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:07 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
Just finished The Lies of Locke Lemora and man, what a wild ride. Its like ASoIaF (gritty realism, magic on the edges) combined with like an Ocean's Eleven caper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Lies of Locke Lamora is like The Count of Monte Cristo meets Ocean's Eleven.
I was half-right, at least.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:34 PM

Doing a sort of re-read of American Gods, but this is the expanded, tenth anniversary edition, so in a way, it'll be like a new experience for me
Old 07-18-2017, 07:25 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterthes View Post
Doing a sort of re-read of American Gods, but this is the expanded, tenth anniversary edition, so in a way, it'll be like a new experience for me
Since I just read the original printing for the first time, I'm interested in hearing what things you find different about this edition.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:21 AM

It's been at least ten years since I read the original, so I really couldn't help you there
Old 07-20-2017, 01:22 PM

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
Old 07-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Better be the real thing.

Finally finished The Book of the New Sun last night. Decided to power through the whole series. I know I still have Urth of the New Sun left, but that's still somewhat on its own, and I can wait on that.

Up next, Orthodox Alaska by Fr. Michael Oleksa.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
Finally finished The Book of the New Sun last night. Decided to power through the whole series. I know I still have Urth of the New Sun left, but that's still somewhat on its own, and I can wait on that.
I hear these books are really politically astute, though they seen things through a conservative lens. Can you comment on that?
Old 07-20-2017, 05:16 PM
#deadfish2017

AMPLE!

My podcast is starting our in depth look at New Sun in a couple months. Please look forward to it.

Alex, Urth is pretty unnecessary. Wolfe was pressured to write it as "an explanation" of sorts. It doesn't really add any thing to New Sun. If you're continuing on, I heavily recommend starting Long Sun instead.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:15 PM

Loki: Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I hear these books are really politically astute, though they seen things through a conservative lens. Can you comment on that?
Hard to say. Most of the time I was devoting so much effort just to understanding what was going on to pick out anything definite. I'd probably have to read it again, but that won't be for a while. I need something easier to digest next.

What fascinated me, though, was the Autarch. He turns out to secretly occupy several offices in the Commonwealth, even low-level ones, without telling anybody. This is in addition to running a brothel and acting as a spy for a rebel who's trying to depose him. And while holding the memories of previous Autarchs, which he passes along to Severian.

I can't help but wonder if there's some kind of metaphor in the Autarch being a eunuch from failing a cosmic Test.

There's also the war, which is so far outside people's everyday experience that you hardly even know it's happening for the first two books. It only becomes a big deal in book 4, when Severian goes to the front. Most people, including Severian, don't know anything about the Ascians they're fighting against. The Ascians, whom we don't meet until book 4, turn out to speak entirely in pre-approved propaganda phrases. It's like "Darmok" crossed with Maoism or North Korea.

It all kind of reminded me of the world in 1984, with the last remaining nations fighting out of sight on the borders, almost purely for the sake of fighting, as if they're only trying to prove they still can.

Given all that, my first instinct is to wonder if all this is related to Vietnam.

It was easier for me to pick up on the religious ideas--every once in a while Severian will speculate very astutely on theology. Wolfe is more of a Tolkien than a Lewis, so while the story and setting are all very Catholic, there's no direct 1-1 allegory.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:04 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
It was easier for me to pick up on the religious ideas--every once in a while Severian will speculate very astutely on theology. Wolfe is more of a Tolkien than a Lewis, so while the story and setting are all very Catholic, there's no direct 1-1 allegory.
Oh, that's really interesting! I heard about the books through War Nerd*, and John Dolan is hardly the type to mention theological discussions in literature.

*Specifically the quote "The armies of this age are weak," which he used to contrast the US attitude towards nuclear "defense" against Mao's.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:54 AM
Mystery Contraption

Finished off City of Miracles, which wrapped up the Divine Cities trilogy. At least until Robert Bennett decides to revisit it, as it does end with a sequel hook as in the last chapter, millions of new minor Gods are introduced to the world, and now the thing is suddenly an X-Men comic

I did like the book on the whole, as I did the entire series, but a lot of that has to do with the world building, as the setting for the stories is pretty dang unique and really cool.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:26 AM

Since I'm seeing a production of it on Monday, I just got done reading Twelfth Night, now readingThe Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
Old 07-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Evocative

Quote:

Given all that, my first instinct is to wonder if all this is related to Vietnam
I think Korea, as America's "forgotten" war, might be just as relevant. Wolfe has said parts of the fourth book were based on his experience as a soldier in that war.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Evocative

Some recent reading:

A new John Crowley sampler and James Branch Cabell.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keele864 View Post
I think Korea, as America's "forgotten" war, might be just as relevant. Wolfe has said parts of the fourth book were based on his experience as a soldier in that war.
Case in point: I myself forgot all about it.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:06 PM
We just don't know.

Alex: As a counterpoint, I think Urth is worth reading. It might be worth taking a quick breather or plunging ahead, I couldn't say. It may not introduce anything completely brand-new to the tetralogy or change much about it, but unless you went through the four books and went "Psh, yes, all of this is perfectly clear, duh" (and lord knows I didn't, at least) I think it's worth reading. If for nothing else than picking up some more details here and there. I read it a bit after the tetralogy, but I enjoyed it well enough on its own, too.

(I also didn't like Long Sun nearly as much as New Sun, personally)
Old 07-23-2017, 05:27 AM
Mystery Contraption

I read Jurassic Park back when I was a fresh-faced teen with his head in the clouds and a dream in his heart. So all I remember of it is that it's different from the movie and had one really stupid part.

Now in adulthood, I've started reading it again and oh... oh man...

There are so many more than one stupid parts...
Old 07-24-2017, 10:54 AM
mellow dramatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
It may not introduce anything completely brand-new to the tetralogy or change much about it, but unless you went through the four books and went "Psh, yes, all of this is perfectly clear, duh" (and lord knows I didn't, at least) I think it's worth reading.
At worst, it's a not-strictly-necessary Gene Wolfe novel.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book