The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 05-19-2017, 08:33 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Caring-tan is my favorite manga character.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 PM
actually an eevee

I prefer Appleblossom, but bank butt is a close second.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:14 PM
oh my car

I wonder why the machine thinks "bat" is a color.

I'm Dorkwood.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:23 AM
Mystery Contraption

I don't know what is wrong with Sindi if that's the colour of her poop.

Anyway, Stummy Beige, definitely.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:41 AM
Out Of Warranty

That's the most unflowery Flower color ever.

(I'm Catbabel)
Old 05-20-2017, 08:18 AM
:O

Deffo Stonching Blue.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:23 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Stanky Bean here, reporting in
Old 05-20-2017, 08:27 AM
enema of the world

Oh, I'm definitely Turdly
Old 05-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Good Bee

I am, and will always be, Testing
Old 05-20-2017, 10:43 AM
This Guy

Definitely Stargoon
Old 05-20-2017, 12:27 PM
Doin' up the house

Default probably NSFW

Quote:
Speed shitting. I'm like the Muhammad Jordan Lee Gretzky of speed shitting. I don't even take a device with me. There's times when I'll tell the wife that I'm gonna go take the Browns to the Super Bowl, and then when I walk back in the lounge room, she'll ask if I forgot something. Bitch, you better recognise. I didn't forget a god damn thing. The only thing that's been forgotten around here is your respect. Respect of the unstoppable anus speed that you married.

I'll walk all you slow mother fuckers through it. I don't go until I've gotta go. Turtle head, touching cloth level. I walk in, drop my Billy Jeans, sit down, release it all in one smooth motion, wipe, leave. I can shit quicker than you can say "Holy shit he can shit fast".

Step your game up.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:33 PM
hold back the night

Quote:
I don't go until I've gotta go. Turtle head, touching cloth level.
any%, intentionally takes damage to save time
Old 05-20-2017, 12:34 PM
hold back the night

what does he do when he gets the speed runs
Old 05-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Nothing is more powerful

It noclips through his pants.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:39 PM
TARANTUL

Snowbonk for sure.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:29 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I don't know what is wrong with Sindi if that's the colour of her poop.
What's wrong with her? Well... Her name is spelled 'Sindi'.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:53 PM
ePona: Horse Ride Sharing

That's the sort of thing that happens when you get too obsessed with speed shitting
Old 05-23-2017, 05:00 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default /close thread

Old 05-24-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Isn't love live that companion "game" where you pick one girl and constantly do the visual novel relationship building junk with her, or am I behind on JP skeeviness?
Belated response, I believe you're thinking of LovePlus!
Old 05-24-2017, 12:57 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
It's me, burble simp
Old 05-24-2017, 02:39 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Accurate.

Although the "I don't really want a girlfriend" could be substituted with "oh my god y'all vagina does everyone know about this".
Old 05-25-2017, 11:23 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default could be legit best post

Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
i think humanity peaked when we decided that clowns are scary and skeletons are funny

the face-painted red-nosed caricature meant to cause laughter and bring joy to children has morphed into an uncanny-valley harbinger of horror while the dry remains of a human being, originally an omen of death of utmost sacredness, is now instantly funny just looking at it
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Convergence.

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

Clearly, Skelly evens out to be a completely normal guy.
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM
D=

Default How Not to Write an Interview

Quote:
Double Dragon Publishing has just published the first book ó The Burning Years Ėin my science fiction Quartet called Until This Last. Since my writing life has been an interesting process Iíd like to share it with you, as well as the personal odyssey Iím undertaking to get to know other contemporary writers and thinkers in the field of scientific and speculative ideas.

I started my journey by having an informal conversation with N.K. Jemisin author of The Broken Earth Trilogy. She spoke to me from her apartment in Brooklyn where she lives with her cat Ozy. For some reason none of the pictures of her which are public quite capture the way she really looks, a serious, imposing woman, she leans forward to stare earnestly into the camera as she picks stray bits of Ozyís hair out of her long braids.

Our discussion covered many subjects including politics, her books, her current favorite writers and where she gets the inspiration to write the secondary worlds which she so brilliantly describes. As we converse, I am able to compare our experiences as writers.

I have always been a writer of fiction. I started writing like Nora (yes thatís her name) when I was quite young. Though unlike Jemisin who has always written speculative fiction, my writing has crossed many genres. These include two novels written when I was in my twenties about how I formed my political self, and an exploration of my relationship with my mother, a subject which Jemisin mentioned she recently has been thinking about as well. In addition Iíve also written short stories (like Jemisin), and unlike her extensively written and published poetry and been a working journalist.

I was curious as to where Jemisin got the inspiration for her very complex characters, plots and worlds, and she told me many of them come from her dreams. She has said that her writing is primarily character focused. Pieces of ideas come to her from things that she does as well, and gel together years later to become something useful. She told me she also studies history because she enjoys it. She doesnít like speculative science fiction that is medieval in nature, but she does like Game of Thrones which she thinks is morally layered and complex.

The story of how I became a writer is different to Jemisinís, which began in the public library of Mobile Alabama where as a twelve year old girl she devoured the entire science fiction section. On the other hand I started writing novels between the lines of my Latin textbooks at about the same age. Then I came to this country as a twenty something immigrant to establish one of the first alternative newspapers here. The process of how that happened is the subject of my first novel ďA Photograph of Us.Ē This novel has not yet been published, but I will confess I didnít try very hard and never submitted it to a publishing house. I did however get a nice letter from an agent who offered to take me on and said I wrote like Anne Tyler.

ďI found a photograph of Pete the other day in the back of a drawer. In the photograph, the shadows play on his lips. They make his face expressionless. Itís hard to tell whether he is smiling as he sits in the sun, long-limbed, with an arm slung across his face, eyes hidden from the cameraís indifferent intrusion. What the lens does not see, are my tears falling into the heavy afternoon as mucus clings to the back of my hand where I have wiped it.ď

I moved on from journalism as a career, to obtain a degree in social sciences at Berkeley where I studied left and right brain development in children. This lead me to start a project called the Childrenís Creative Project, which is still going strong today. This project engaged a series of high profile artists across a wide spectrum of disciplines in an after-school program for disenfranchised and poor children. I was one of those who wanted to get out in the world and help others, and strangely enough Jemisin was the same. As we chatted she briefly mentioned her recent job as a counseling psychologist, which she only just quit last year to become a full-time writer.

Jemisin never lost touch with her writing roots however because besides holding down a full time day job, she was able to continue to write novels undisturbed at night. I on the other hand had to take care of two children, as well as working outside of the home to support our family.

I lead a motherís life
picking at cracks
in time to write
experiencing everything twice
holding two thoughts together
in my mind,
so that I can balance
them later with words.
Driving in my car,
to pick up a daughter,
I write poetry
on my hands,
on my check book,
at work,
on grocery bills.
the two parts of me coming together
in curious juxtaposition
fragments of a reflection,
left and right
mother and poet
wife and lover
unresolved ambiguities.
In my teens
I wrote poetry about finding love,
in my twenties about social injustice,
in my thirties about poverty and pain.
My forties was a blank page.
Now I am fifty
I have to find out
who I am again.

In order to keep my writing self alive I also joined the board of a small, prestigious and highly political press called Curbstone ó the members of which affectionately called each other by the nickname ďthe CurbstonistasĒ. In my role on that board, I came across a slew of great authors including Marnie Mueller who has been one of my role models ever since. Marnie Mueller is an extraordinary, full-time professional writer who covers contemporary issues such as the destruction of the rain forests, the World War II internment of the Japanese in concentration camps, and the complicated relationship she had with her Puerto Rican mother, which seems to be a common theme among us writers. She read a fictional biography I wrote recently called My Quantum Life and asked me: ďwhy wouldnít you write a real biographyĒ? I explained to her that I didnít think my life was nearly interesting enough.

Jemisin to her credit has always taken being a writer very seriously and as a result, has received a certain degree of fame as a well-published, well respected author in her genre. She got an agent through her Dreamblood books which did not get published right away, so in the meantime she started writing The Inheritance Trilogy. She made the first book in this Trilogy a standalone, and told her agent that she would be willing to write books two and three if it sold. A number of interested publishers jumped on board with it, and this is how a paid writing career started for her. Sheís required by her publisher to write a book a year.

I on the other hand intentionally set out to write four books. I was lucky enough to get an agent right away. Orbit, HarperVoyager, Del Ray, and Tor all requested to read the first book in the series, and while they were making up their minds as to whether or not theyíd accept it for publication, I received an offer from a small but well-known science fiction e-publisher called Double Dragon Publishing. After some discussion with my agent I decided to go with Double Dragon, withdrew the book and notified the other publishers of my decision.

Iím happy about it because Deron Douglas my publisher has told me that I am my own business, and that the success or failure of my book in todayís publishing environment will depend on my ability to find an audience. I am also older, do not need to make a living anymore from what I write, and most importantly want complete freedom unbound by the restraints of the commercial publishing industry, within which to create my work.

Jemisin says that she writes not to educate or convey her political views but to entertain. I questioned her on her social and political views, and since her books are speculative, I wouldnít say she deliberately addresses these head on. Rather I think she tends to use allegory and metaphor to introduce them into her stories.

Iím a different kind of writer ó I come out of a strong background of political and social activism. For instance, my current book deals specifically with corporate plutocrats and how they are exacerbating climate change, and also some of the moral and ethical dilemmas that we face as we develop highly intelligent, human forms of artificial intelligence. Iím also more of a hard core science writer ó I have a three or four page glossary of scientific terms at the back of my book. Iím like an Andy Weir if you like, who Iíll be chatting with later on in this series.

I would say however, after reading her work, that Jemisin is by far the superior artist of the two of us. She writes from her colorful imagination and her Jungian dreams, weaving her political ideas like subtle silver threads throughout her narrative. I think that coming from a journalistic background and revering a Joan Didion style of reportage, my writing intentionally tends to be more on the expository side.

It took me two years to research my book and another year to write it. I specifically wrote it to catalyze my readers to take action around climate change. Jemisinís issues with our world are more nuanced than mine and much less overt, but she does take on slavery, racism, and gender oppression in her books; all of which comprise many of her underlying themes. I also noted, as I read numerous articles on her in order to prepare for our chat that in real life sheís had some hard-core run-ins with the predominantly white, male bastion of science fiction writers. All of this, whetted my appetite to learn more about her as a person. In fact I can honestly say after talking with her that she seems to very much resemble her central protagonist Essun in The Broken Earth Trilogy, an intelligent, independent black woman who stands her ground fearlessly and adamantly

At the end of our conversation Jemisin and I talked a little bit about the writing techniques she uses, and I told her I admired the way she was able to bring three of her central characters so brilliantly together in the Fifth Season, and catch me completely by surprise at the end of the book. This is a writing technique she told me she has observed being used by others often, and one which she admires.

We also talked about how we develop our protagonists. She struck a cord in me as I recognized how I also like her enjoy becoming each protagonist I write. She of course has her favorites such as Nijiri and Hanani from Dream Blood, Sieh from the Inheritance Trilogy and Nassun from the Broken Earth Trilogy. In my latest book the Burning Years I would say that my favorite protagonist is Inanna, and hereís a small introduction to her:

Three years ago, I volunteered to allow DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) to affect a radical transformation of my body. Because Iíve always been an avid trans-humanist, this was something I welcomed. Since I was conversant with many of the advances in medical science, I didnít fear what re-engineering would do to me. In fact I wanted to become one of the first to make this change.

Where did I come from? Iím half Palestinian and half Jewish. In 2020, my parents were removed forcibly from Israel. The fundamentalists eventually gained control of that country and transferred all the Israeli-Arabs from Judea, Samaria, Gaza, and Israel proper, to refugee camps outside their borders. It was called the Great Transfer. Many knew it wasnít a moral or humane policy, but they thought it necessary for security reasons.

The conflicts in the Arab Middle East between modern, secular Islamists and anti- modern ones continued to rage and, like animals caught in a trap, we lived in the middle of the firestorm. It was ridiculous to even imagine both sides could live peaceably together, when faced with such deep-seated, ideological differences. In the end, the fate of that area culminated in the nuclear exchange of 2035, started by a renegade group of terrorists.

When I was five years old and after my parents had died from radiation sickness in 2040, I came to America to live with my uncle, my fatherís brother, and his wife in Washington, D.C. My uncle, who works in security and I still keep in touch but we were never close, so itís been easy to hide whatís happening to me.

It has taken three years to completely transform my human body to bionic, removing any parts that might have been damaged by exposure to radiation when I was younger. The most amazing changes, however, have been in my brain, whose capacity has been greatly advanced. Because the nerve endings are now connected to electrical reactors, the barriers between others and me can more easily be breached, and a way is open for me to connect directly with the brain of another person. I am, therefore, prepared to transfer my thoughts electronically for enhanced cooperative problem solving.

In addition, when I link my brain with the Web, and its myriad pieces of information, there can be a perfect and economic transference between us. In this way, Iím able to form a complex, compound, super human intelligence. Peter says Iím a break-through in organic evolution and will, through these connections, feel myself a part of the whole brain of humankind.

One of the things he has mentioned is that by linking my brain to the ideas of others, I will no longer be bound by feelings of individuality. The compound human mind, this multiple organism I will create, will hold all of humanityís memories, ideas, and thoughts.

In addition, my mind has no pre-existing blueprints, so my creative insights and ideas are spontaneous, independent, and completely my own, and are, therefore, portable and free to move independently. All of my recent learning has taken place in my consciousness, which as a result of my bio-engineered brain, has been able to evolve complex ideas that far exceed anything I could have produced in my unaltered state.

I find I can control my feelings or neuroelectric waveform shapes, as I call them, in such a way that I can induce fear or happiness or completion, in order to favor whatever task Iím trying to accomplish. Since I can decide whether or not I feel happy or sad, Iím less vulnerable than a fully biological human to outside influences.

Iím carrying a lot of important information necessary for the survival of Peter and his friends, and also for maintaining and building solutions and systems in the post climate-change community, which will inevitably emerge once this environmental catastrophe is over in many hundreds of years. My implants use my own bioenergy to recharge themselves, so Iím completely self-sufficient and can live anywhere. Iím Ďoff the gridí so to speak.

Jemisin and I discussed what it means to be a good writer and we both agree that one cannot rely on external validation. That as writers and artists of some experience we know ourselves very well, and thus we know immediately when we arenít producing our best work.

I asked her what it meant to be the first black woman to win a Hugo, and she immediately praised Octavio Butler, implying that it was Butler who paved the way for her success.

We closed our conversation by discussing the advice we would give to young novelists starting off in the field. For myself I would give them the advice which was given to me ó simply that if you persist you will improve, and if you continue to work on your craft and become a good writer you will eventually be able to break in and find an audience. She nor I believe there is such thing as pure talent we think itís just a matter of hard work ó although I will personally admit I think some people have an aptitude. But again I would say writing is not an inborn thing, itís not a matter of a mystical bestowing of power or genes or whatever.

At the end of the day Jemisin and I have both been writing in some form or other since we were children, and hard work and persistence are the only reason why weíre still writing and loving it today. Jemisinís intense professional focus on her craft is also why sheís been so successful commercially in her genre.

I have also been intrigued by Jemisinís use of Patreon to get patrons to support her work so that she could quit her day job. She told me that itís been very successful for her, but that she wouldnít recommend it to writers who are just starting out ó that itís more for writers whoíve been in the business for five or ten years.

Overall I found NK a fascinating woman, and for those who love speculative fiction she is one of the best contemporary writers in the field and her books are a must read.

In the first book of her trilogy, The Fifth Season, across the heart of the vast continent known as the Stillness, a great red rift has been torn at its center by an angry protagonist, spewing ash enough to darken the sky for years. Or centuries. In The Obelisk Gate, the second book in the series, the season of endings grows darker as civilization fades into the long cold night. Jemisin will finish off her three-part series about the end of civilization in this secondary world she has created with The Stone Sky, to be published in August 2017

Over the course of this personal exploration Iíve undertaken, Iím thrilled to say Iíll be talking later on to John Crowley one of the contemporary giants in the field of speculative fiction. If you havenít read it yet, and this is your genre, Little Big is a classic that is not to be missed and is a grand concoction. In it Crowley tells us that there is indeed another world that we sometimes glimpse in the twilight of the shadows or just around the corner, populated by beings who are not like us and who have fled from the spread of civilization so their realm is shrinking as ours keep pushing them away. The two realms are, finally irreconcilable; the others can preserve themselves only by keeping their distance from us; which they do, except for rarer and rarer occasions when they target one of us for punishment or enlightenment.

Iíll look forward to talking with you next time and please feel free to comment or ask me any questions you might have that I could be of help with.
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM
Better be the real thing.

So is this how this author talks at room parties at cons or something?

Tags
#sexpillows , bad wolf , black hole of humanity , cringe gallery , granos , humor , i am the fork , mine , ominous orchestral swell , perhaps missing the point , post 717782 , priming the pump , prissy little killjoys , professor anime , psychological issues , real life harry potter , sailor moon politics , the best of tt , the worst , this is the best post , tumblr is easy mode , twilight sparkle , twitter is easy mode , very important bothans , weep for humanity