The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-21-2017, 09:46 PM
ePona: Horse Ride Sharing

Little wonder we eventually got League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Old 05-22-2017, 11:45 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

So I saw GALAXY GUARDS TOO yesterday. The movie was a goddamn blast from start to end. I can't remember a single moment during it where I wasn't just delighted.

I got a vague complaint about the BAD GUY and I'm gonna just sort of vomit words about it into this spoilerpop.

How attached is Ego to Kurt Russell?

So Ego's basically a Boltzmann Brain that, instead of vanishing an attosecond after popping into existence, stuck around for one thousand billion years, eventually leared how to SPACEMAGIC, made itself a planet, A spaceship, and a Kurt Russell. Emphasis on made itself a Kurt Russell. The movie is pretty explicit about the fact that Ego is NOT Kurt Russell, Kurt Russell is just a little something Ego uses to talk to (and fuck) Kurt Russell-sized lifeforms. If you shoot Kurt Russell with spaceguns, Ego just goes "Hey asshole that was my Kurt Russell!" and makes another Kurt Russell out of whatever space junk he's got handy. It's annoying, but not really that big a deal.

Except when it IS a big deal? Like when Ego says if he visited earth to Chill with EARTH MOM a 4th time, "he'd never come back"? But he can't never come back, because really HE NEVER LEFT. He's still floating in deep space! So then why does it matter if Kurt Russell's space magic batteries run down? Why does Kurt Russell need to return to Ego, if ego can literally make himself another Kurt Russel in 2 minutes?

How much does Ego need a Kurt Russell? A Kurt Russell body is very explicitly not the only way Ego can affect the universe, but is it the only way he can observe the universe? Does running a Kurt Russell body require all of Ego's brain power, even though Ego's brain is the size of the moon's core and Kurt Rusell-sized beings can usually run just fine on a Kurt Russell-sized brain? Is having an active Kurt Russell therefore a liability to Ego then because it takes so much brain to make Kurt Russell go and Kurt Russell? I don't know!

None of that RUINS the movie, because like I said, the movie is a total blast and I loved every second of it. I just wish that the Zillion-Year Old cosmic Conciousness felt more like a LITERAL VENGEFUL PLANET and less like "Kurt Russell as wizard that knew all the earth spells".
Old 05-22-2017, 11:49 AM
hold back the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Does running a Kurt Russell body require all of Ego's brain power, even though Ego's brain is the size of the moon's core and Kurt Rusell-sized beings can usually run just fine on a Kurt Russell-sized brain?
If you're going to build a Kurt Russell, you don't half-ass it. You go all in.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:53 AM

Daammm

*hits blunt*

Makes u think...
Old 05-22-2017, 12:03 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
How attached is Ego to Kurt Russell?

Does running a Kurt Russell body require all of Ego's brain power, even though Ego's brain is the size of the moon's core and Kurt Rusell-sized beings can usually run just fine on a Kurt Russell-sized brain?
I have no idea if it works like this in the comics (I checked, and apparently he CAN create a human[oid] avatar there too), but
I figure that Ego's actual consciousness goes into Space Cash while his planetary body just takes care of itself. Same way as when you're playing a video game, and your attention is on what happens to your on-screen persona, its actions, its stimuli, even as your autonomic nervous system takes care of digesting, breathing, sweating, etc. Maybe it's even something like a waking dream to him.

I'm probably wrong, but I understood his "Regularly returning to the Ego planet" and "If I had gone to her a fourth time, I would've never come back" meant that, if Space Cash dies while detached from his planetary form, his consciousness would go with it, and his real form would eventually deteriorate and die.

Die in the dream, you die for real, and all that.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Mystery Contraption

I took it that Ego can't really multi-task, so when he builds a Kurt Russel, Kurt Russel is all he can focus on, and Earth is far enough from the rest of his body that he can't recreate himself from there.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:28 PM

Zef and Octo both provide a good explanations!

I guess what I'm really saying is I wanted a BADGUY who felt more otherworldly, you know? More of a "godlike intelligence that comprises the entire environment" and less "Kurt Russell but with unlimited respawns until you attack the proper core, and also he knows all the final fantasy spells that use Rocks".

But WHATEVER the movie we got was still super great and I fucking loved it.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:38 PM
Find Your Reason

To wit, Space Cash is the focused totality of Ego's ego.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:44 PM

I realized right after hitting "New Post" that you were referring to Tango & Cash, but part of me still wants to believe you were claiming Ego's Human avatar was based on Johnny Cash and I'm like "fuck yeah I would have surrendered the entire universe to the Man in black no questions asked".
Old 05-22-2017, 12:46 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Remember, when Yondu picked up Peter as a kid, those boys of his wanted to eat him. They ain't never tasted any Terran before.
No man who loves Troll dolls as much as Yondu can be all bad (or all good, for that matter)
Old 05-22-2017, 01:34 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Also from the opening battle scene: the environment they were fighting on was nigh-identical to Final Fantasy X's Dream Zanarkand and I can't see it any other way. Even the platform they stood on was just like the one for the final boss.
The planet reminded me a lot of the Far Plane when they first showed up.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Safe Space

Well, you know, the first scene was basically taken wholesale from Guardians of the Galaxy issue #1 (2008).

I assume they wanted to use the Universal Church of Truth, but 1. you can't really call it that without risking the ire of certain sects of the Christian faith, and 2. the climax of the film hinges on them using those batteries to blow up Ego, and the "faith batteries" seen in the comics are actually huge networks of believers floating in tubes, so they'd be a lot less portable.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:45 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I watched this movie this weekend, finally. It was good! I was crying for most of the end. The first GotG was the first movie I bought on blu-ray and this one is definitely joining it.

Got some stuff to say in response to other things on here that I might get around to later. For now I just want to say that I'm not sure what they would have cut to make time for it but I kind of wish they'd spent just a little bit more time developing Sean Gunn's character and his status as the ignored older sibling jealous of all the attention the younger kid is getting from Daddy.

Tags
brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for lewis tan , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , movies , parker posey as , stan lee cameo