The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Tanto's Avatar
Tanto Tanto is offline
Fishing for Felbloom
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NoVA
Posts: 9,390
Default

Friends, friends. We're missing the most important aspect of Rise of the Eldrazi.



Mike Haggar has finally gotten his own card!

More like Beastbreaker of Metro City amiright
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Alpha Werewolf's Avatar
Alpha Werewolf Alpha Werewolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
Friends, friends. We're missing the most important aspect of Rise of the Eldrazi.



Mike Haggar has finally gotten his own card!

More like Beastbreaker of Metro City amiright
Man, fuck Haggar. They gave SHAN YU his own card!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Nicholai's Avatar
Nicholai Nicholai is offline
I like Starman.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 2,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
Friends, friends. We're missing the most important aspect of Rise of the Eldrazi.



Mike Haggar has finally gotten his own card!

More like Beastbreaker of Metro City amiright
So I haven't played since Time Spiral block, but let me get this straight. He costs 1G, and you have to spend 8GGGG to make him a 6/6 with trample? That seems...not so good. I see part of it is spreading the cost out over multiple turns, but it still seems like a poor investment of mana.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Tanto's Avatar
Tanto Tanto is offline
Fishing for Felbloom
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NoVA
Posts: 9,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholai View Post
So I haven't played since Time Spiral block, but let me get this straight. He costs 1G, and you have to spend 8GGGG to make him a 6/6 with trample? That seems...not so good. I see part of it is spreading the cost out over multiple turns, but it still seems like a poor investment of mana.
The idea is not that he's a 6/6 for a million mana. You play him out as a bear on the second turn, and if you don't have anything better to do on turn three, you turn him into a 4/4 and attack with that. Then, if you've got excess mana later in the game, you can finish leveling him up.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Mr. J's Avatar
Mr. J Mr. J is offline
MassiveOnlineBunnyArena
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,338
Default

Yah, all of the good level-up cards work well after 1 level up. For example, he's a 3/3 first strike on turn 2. Then as you have extra mana you can just dump it into him. Then again this is probably the only T2 playable leveler. In limited the levelers are excellent, because you can keep a good board presence w/o overextending.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Nicholai's Avatar
Nicholai Nicholai is offline
I like Starman.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 2,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
Yah, all of the good level-up cards work well after 1 level up. For example, he's a 3/3 first strike on turn 2. Then as you have extra mana you can just dump it into him. Then again this is probably the only T2 playable leveler. In limited the levelers are excellent, because you can keep a good board presence w/o overextending.
Agreed that that one is quite good. I missed on the previous guy that he is common too. I can see them being good for limited as a beater and a mana sink. Mechanics that are good in limited environments and not-so-good for constructed though are par for the course I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-19-2010, 11:42 AM
benjibot's Avatar
benjibot benjibot is offline
Super Nerd
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The fictional city of Chicago
Posts: 2,016
Default

I always wanted someone to get into Over the Edge, but no one ever did.

Magic rules question: If I have one of those vampires that gain +1/+1 counters when a creature hits the graveyard from the battlefield it counts when something is sacrificed, right? And I can sacrifice tapped creatures?

How's Magic on XBLA? Do you have to buy cards with "real" money a.k.a. Microsoft fun bucks?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Alpha Werewolf's Avatar
Alpha Werewolf Alpha Werewolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjibot View Post
I always wanted someone to get into Over the Edge, but no one ever did.

Magic rules question: If I have one of those vampires that gain +1/+1 counters when a creature hits the graveyard from the battlefield it counts when something is sacrificed, right? And I can sacrifice tapped creatures?

How's Magic on XBLA? Do you have to buy cards with "real" money a.k.a. Microsoft fun bucks?
Yes and yes.

XBLA has set decks with unlockable cards through campaign mode.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-19-2010, 11:50 AM
shivam's Avatar
shivam shivam is offline
gatchapon 3*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 24,010
Default

magic on xbla is the perfect way to scratch your ccg itch without making you continually buy more packs.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Nicholai's Avatar
Nicholai Nicholai is offline
I like Starman.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 2,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
magic on xbla is the perfect way to scratch your ccg itch without making you continually buy more packs.
I'd totally be down for this if I had a 360. Just to scratch that itch.

Also, while not a "card" game does anyone play Heroclix?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Alpha Werewolf's Avatar
Alpha Werewolf Alpha Werewolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,013
Default

Anybody want to play against me with some precons on MWS? I love me some precons!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 PM
benjibot's Avatar
benjibot benjibot is offline
Super Nerd
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The fictional city of Chicago
Posts: 2,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholai View Post
So I haven't played since Time Spiral block, but let me get this straight. He costs 1G, and you have to spend 8GGGG to make him a 6/6 with trample? That seems...not so good. I see part of it is spreading the cost out over multiple turns, but it still seems like a poor investment of mana.
There are ways around it. I have a couple copies of Venerated Teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venerated Teacher
When Venerated Teacher enters the battlefield, put two level counters on each creature you control with level up
Some of my friends were hella into in Heroclix. I'd be interested in playing a game, but I've long since talked myself out of buying them from a space perspective—both playing them and storing them.

Man, I really do wish I had an Xbox 360 now. For many reasons, but the Magic game looks pretty great.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Nicholai's Avatar
Nicholai Nicholai is offline
I like Starman.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 2,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjibot View Post
Some of my friends were hella into in Heroclix. I'd be interested in playing a game, but I've long since talked myself out of buying them from a space perspective—both playing them and storing them.

Man, I really do wish I had an Xbox 360 now. For many reasons, but the Magic game looks pretty great.
What I'd like to do with Heroclix is get one or two friends into it and just all agree to only buy enough to just have fun with it so we avoid the too much cost/space dilemma. What has stirred my interest is the newest DC Brave and the Bold set and the upcoming Blackest Night starter set.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Wheels's Avatar
Wheels Wheels is offline
Dr. of Ys-anomics
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Whalers Country, CT
Posts: 4,377
Default

I really like the level up creatures. They took the concept of Figure of Destiny and made it better.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Nodal's Avatar
Nodal Nodal is offline
:O
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Werewolf View Post
Anybody want to play against me with some precons on MWS? I love me some precons!
If you inform me what MWS is, sure. I also love me some precons.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Alpha Werewolf's Avatar
Alpha Werewolf Alpha Werewolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
If you inform me what MWS is, sure. I also love me some precons.
Magic WorkStation. Best freeware Magic-playing program there is.

Takes a while to setup. Play ya tommorow?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Nodal's Avatar
Nodal Nodal is offline
:O
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Werewolf View Post
Magic WorkStation. Best freeware Magic-playing program there is.

Takes a while to setup. Play ya tommorow?
Sounds like a good time. I'll set it up now.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Mr. J's Avatar
Mr. J Mr. J is offline
MassiveOnlineBunnyArena
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,338
Default

Sometimes I hate MWS, I was just playing on it and a guy had a board of
Wall of omens (2cc), 2X Vent sentinel (4cc), Wall of reverence (4cc), Overgrown Battlement (2cc), Rage Nimbus (3cc).

So it's the end of his turn and he targets the nimbus (power of 5) with wall of reverence and I use consume the meek (destroy all creatures w/ cc less than or equal to 3). I tell him he doesn't gain the 5 life and he says he does. I explain that the wall targets the nimbus but because the nimbus is gone when it tries to resolve, it fizzles. The guys still says no and we engage in a huge argument. After about 5 minutes the goes says "fag" and I get the "<system> Player Lost" message. I really hate these guys.

Also, I'd play some precons on MWS (I go by Mr. J on there too).

-edit-

Title requires this.

Last edited by Mr. J; 04-19-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Nodal's Avatar
Nodal Nodal is offline
:O
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post

Title requires this.
My friend had a deck like this. He called it dexus maximus.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Alpha Werewolf's Avatar
Alpha Werewolf Alpha Werewolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
Sometimes I hate MWS, I was just playing on it and a guy had a board of
Wall of omens (2cc), 2X Vent sentinel (4cc), Wall of reverence (4cc), Overgrown Battlement (2cc), Rage Nimbus (3cc).

So it's the end of his turn and he targets the nimbus (power of 5) with wall of reverence and I use consume the meek (destroy all creatures w/ cc less than or equal to 3). I tell him he doesn't gain the 5 life and he says he does. I explain that the wall targets the nimbus but because the nimbus is gone when it tries to resolve, it fizzles. The guys still says no and we engage in a huge argument. After about 5 minutes the goes says "fag" and I get the "<system> Player Lost" message. I really hate these guys.

Also, I'd play some precons on MWS (I go by Mr. J on there too).

-edit-

Title requires this.
That's what you get on MWS most of the time. And THAT is why I prefer to play games with people I know!
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Alixsar's Avatar
Alixsar Alixsar is offline
The Shogun of Harlem
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harlem
Posts: 23,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
Yah, all of the good level-up cards work well after 1 level up. For example, he's a 3/3 first strike on turn 2. Then as you have extra mana you can just dump it into him. Then again this is probably the only T2 playable leveler. In limited the levelers are excellent, because you can keep a good board presence w/o overextending.
That Student card is insane I want four of them NOW
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Sanagi's Avatar
Sanagi Sanagi is offline
who's she
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: fairbanks, alaska
Posts: 10,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
Title requires this.
I have a Battle of Wits deck. It's my second favorite deck. It's full of good cards that I always wanted to play but that never made the final cut, like mesmeric trance. One of the things I love about it is the tendency to win not due to Battle of Wits but due to the simple and timeless effectiveness of a deck with a lot of Air Elementals, Counterspells and card-drawing.

My #1 favorite is an Elder Dragon Highlander deck, 100 cards and the theme of it is "Every topdeck is so great you'll think I'm the luckiest man alive." Also, "No fetch lands because shuffling a 100-card deck every turn is not something you should inflict on your friends and acquaintances."
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:05 AM
Alpha Werewolf's Avatar
Alpha Werewolf Alpha Werewolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,013
Default

Hey Nodal! You ready now?
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Nodal's Avatar
Nodal Nodal is offline
:O
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Werewolf View Post
Hey Nodal! You ready now?
No . I forgot that today Monster Hunter Tri comes out, so I'm being a terrible person and bailing on you.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:13 AM
Alpha Werewolf's Avatar
Alpha Werewolf Alpha Werewolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
No . I forgot that today Monster Hunter Tri comes out, so I'm being a terrible person and bailing on you.
That's fine. I'm available pretty much every day - just make sure you check TT from time to time (or gimme your MSN).
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Nodal's Avatar
Nodal Nodal is offline
:O
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Werewolf View Post
That's fine. I'm available pretty much every day - just make sure you check TT from time to time (or gimme your MSN).
I am also a terrible AIM man. It's in the thread but the s/n is nodalwhisk. If you want I could get MSN but I dont know how often I'll be on it.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Alpha Werewolf's Avatar
Alpha Werewolf Alpha Werewolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
I am also a terrible AIM man. It's in the thread but the s/n is nodalwhisk. If you want I could get MSN but I dont know how often I'll be on it.
I don't use AIM, actually. I guess I'll just keep an eye out for you being online and PM you.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Nodal's Avatar
Nodal Nodal is offline
:O
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Werewolf View Post
I don't use AIM, actually. I guess I'll just keep an eye out for you being online and PM you.
Yeah, I've been on TT a lot recently so this will probably work.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-20-2010, 09:07 AM
benjibot's Avatar
benjibot benjibot is offline
Super Nerd
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The fictional city of Chicago
Posts: 2,016
Default

I love the art on Deathless Angel so much. There's a bigger version on the Eldrazi intro site. That is one curvy angel.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Alpha Werewolf's Avatar
Alpha Werewolf Alpha Werewolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,013
Default

Hey guys, how do you feel about a sealed league? With the caveat that you record your matches, or at least make notes and post a report?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ccg , magic the gathering , mtg , traditional games

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts ©you, 2007