The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 10-19-2008, 11:10 AM
We just don't know.

The other day I had a dream that zodar was a girl and philliam was in love with her but zodar's parents wouldn't let them be together and I comforted poor philliam regarding the failure of his forbidden love. Then we went on adventures.

I swear to god I am not making this up.

They totally did it.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:32 AM
forbidden noise

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh god damn

This morning I dreamed that I was in one of the dorms on campus and it was totally psychedlic-70's-stoner themed. People were smoking pot and had fucking tie-dye ashtrays. (I'm aware that the concept isn't very logical, but they were noticeable enough in the dream that I still remember that part and think it's hilarious) Anyway it didn't take long before the campus cops showed up, but I had just showered and was still getting dressed. I got frisked every time I put on more clothes (which I had a lot of because it was a pretty cold day) but I managed to convince them that I was clean, since I was.

Then on my way out I met a girl and fell in love with her. I felt really weird, like I'd never felt before, and I knew that had to be it. I got her name and number, but at the end of the dream I had to go home, and she was talking with another guy.

Somehow I don't think that it's difficult to interpret that last part =X
Old 10-21-2008, 10:52 AM
You want a toe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
Do you snore? I had the same problem until I had a sleep study done and they told me that I quit breathing several times a night which caused me to wake up just enough to get out of REM sleep.
I recently had a sleep study done and had the same diagnosis, sleep apnea. Do you use a CPAP machine now? I have used mine for a couple of months now and I'm not real sure that I feel any different after sleeping than I did before. I do know that it has helped my nose breathing a ton, day and night.

I can never remember my dreams. I do have one that I remember, though. I dreamed that I was awake and laying in bed. There was a silver Mylar rabbit balloon floating over me. I remember waking up and not seeing the balloon. It really freaked me out for whatever reason. It was just so real and to realize it was a dream was creepy and bizarre.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalladeath View Post
I recently had a sleep study done and had the same diagnosis, sleep apnea. Do you use a CPAP machine now? I have used mine for a couple of months now and I'm not real sure that I feel any different after sleeping than I did before. I do know that it has helped my nose breathing a ton, day and night.
Yeah, I've got one. It didn't seem to work at first but it wasn't calibrated right or something. I feel a lot more rested now but it is hard to say because I really don't sleep much.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Symphony of the Nightbug

I just dreamt that we got a bunch of us together and showed up and Maggie's house to forcibly remove her and get her employed and in some more wholesome company. But when we got there, we didn't want to leave her house either…

because her house was fucking awesome. It was sprawling and labyrinthine, like some kind of Zelda dungeon, and we completely neglected what we came to do in favor of exploring and having fun and generally just running around like we were little kids.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:52 PM

My dream:

Batman kills everyone.

He actually takes vengeance on the people who wronged him. He breaks into a warehouse and guns people down. Yes! Batman uses guns. Machine guns, specifically. He also toys with his victims. The warehouse was a barn almost, and all of Batman's victims kept switching on different masks to trick Batman but he killed them all.

What happened next -- in a large empty foyer of an office building, another crook responsible for the millionaire's parents death scrambles to an elevator. He goes to the third floor and discovers shattered glass. Uh-oh! Batman is around. And when he walks out, there he is right behind him. Batman makes him stand on the floor's ledge, which has a weak integrity. The crook wants to move away but Batman is so intimidating he scares the man to stay in place. The ledge breaks off and the man falls out into the foyer. However, the ledge falls faster than him and he goes up-and-down and smacks his face bloody on the ledge. Oooh! You think he's dead but he then announces to Batman that he's still alive!

Well, Batman just shoots him.

Then another crook enters the building. He might have seen the dead body, maybe not, but he knows Batman is around. He takes the elevator and reaches the third floor. He sees the shattered glass. Uh-oh! Batman is around. And so he is. Only this time Batman has some friends, and those friends beat up on the crook while Batman watches, dispassionately. Then they strip off his clothes and open up the elevator shaft. Batman laughs and then grips the man by his shoulders and says Okay, now your turn. The man screams No! NOOO! And soon he is falling down the shaft for a full 30 seconds, screaming like a dying animal. He hits the bottom with a nasty thud. I mean a nasty thud.

Then Batman kills Steven Segal. And how! First Batman and his friends notice Steven is right there on the third floor, and behind him is a poster for one of his action movies. The poster has Steve holding a gun, looking all serious while an explosion is pictured behind him. You know, typical cheesy action movie poster. Batman and his friends make fun of his poster. They say, What, did Steven Segal have a nasty fart going on behind him? Hahahaha!

Steven runs away and Batman pulls a long rifle machine gun and shoots him.

At that point I woke up and didn't know WTF was happening. I didn't even watch anything Batman and yet I dreamed about him.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Maggots! Numbnuts!

My dreams barely ever make any sense, but the one I had last night did.

I was reading The Mist right before I went to sleep, a book which I knew inspired both Half-Life and Silent Hill. So my dream was some sort of strange combination of the two games. The thing I remember most vividly is the first room in Half-Life 1 in the rusty dark-world style. So that was cool.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:17 PM
A No.1

I realized awhile back that I never dream in sound.

Like, if someone talks to me in my dream, I just sort of "know" what they said, but I don't hear it. Whenever I htink back on the few dreams I ever remember, I only remember the visuals.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Sudden chomper

I don't sleep enough because I stay up playing 360 with Talking Time. Stupid Left 4 Dead, why do you have to be so fun??
Old 11-19-2008, 04:23 PM
For blood and gold

Yes! I knew this thread existed, but google failed me. Here is my dream from two or three nights ago:

I was walking through something that looked like a summer camp. The paths were all dirt and sand and wood chips. It was a sunny day and the grass growing in the distance looked lovely. There were plenty of cabins dotted along the paths - wooden ones with raised foundations.

I was excited because my parents were coming to visit. I wasn't exactly sure what the reason was for this. Either they were coming to give a presentation (and perhaps receive a reward?) or I was giving a presentation/receiving an award and they were coming to support me. I wanted to stop by and see a friend first so I knew I had to hurry before they arrived. I quickly passed by the cabin where the presetation was to take place and reached the cabin of the friend I wanted to visit.

The cabin had a narrow hallway upon entry that opened up into a large children's bedroom. The bed was immediately to my left as I went through the hallway. There were toys strewn about the room and, on the far fall from me, a shelf with a great variety of toys.

An older woman then appeared in the room. Although I knew at a glance that she was wise and had magical powers, she didn't fit the stereotypical look of an old magic woman. She was caucasian, had short, gray hair, and though her face had some lines, her wrinkles were subtle. Without words, I knew that if I passed her test, I would gain some item of great value.

The test was like one of those children's books where you need to find all of the dogs in the picture. In this case, the woman showed me the shelf behind her and I had to find five baseballs on it. I began doing so and the world took on the quality of a video game. The colors became much brighter and the graphics looked cartoony or cel-shaded. I also felt like I was using a Wii remote to point to the baseballs instead of my finger.

After I found five baseballs, she waved her hands and the shelves were rearranged and I had to find five more. I accomplished this and retreated to the bed in the room to contemplate my prize with my compatriots.

Yes, apparently I had been helped in my task of finding baseballs by two people. One was a boy of about 10 or 11. He had some sort of disease or disability - he looked like the sterotypical youngster you see in a hospital bed on television - like the Make-A-Wish foundation was helping him. The other was Buffy, The Vampire Slayer.

We didn't actually spend too much time on whatever it was the magical woman had given to us. Instead, we were obsessed with some package we had received. Buffy took something that interested her and examined it while the boy was very excited by a Spider-Man t-shirt since he was a huge fan.

Shortly after this, we were compelled to go outside to a nearby parking lot where would meet the mysterious person who gave us this package. When, we got there, it was empty except for two parked cars. Two other cars then drove up and when they arrived, all of the cars transformed into robots. The two cars that recently arrived merged into a larger robot and ordered us to give up the item we had received from the magical woman. With no way to fight these evil Transformers, we did as asked and they took it and drove off.

We were upset. Clearly that package had just been a trick to get us to deliver the magical item to these robots. But we still didn't know who was behind it? Who had sent the package? Who did the robots work for? And why did they want it?

We set about our detective work by examining the items we got in the package. Something in the item Buffy had received [it was never clear to me what this was] led us to drive down to a nearby apartment complex. It definitely seemed like we were in an east coast suburb/exurb appropriate for a summer camp - lots of converted farmland and windy roads that followed geography and old, non-planned layouts.

As Buffy left the car to investigate the area, the boy and I stayed to ponder the other items. A thought then occurred to me that if Buffy and the boy had been so taken in by things, then what was in the package that was meant to take me in? Then it hit me - the video game. I pulled out the video game that came in the package and that I had yet try out. [This was one of dream things where up to this point there had been no video game in the dream, but now I believed it had been there all along.]

The game was in a Gamecube case and looked like an existing game - Eternal Darkness or one of the Spiderman games maybe? I opened the case only to find it bursting with a series of CDs and Game Boy Advance games. The CDs all held video game soundtracks.

As I was pondering these games and CDs and how I would have to check them out, Buffy returned. She had gotten some decent info that indicated we should check out the island just South of where we were. As she was conveying this information to us, a bunch of guys wandered out from the complex and started harrassing us. These were decidedly "frat boys" both in look (shirts with popped collars) and attitude. They were giving us (more probably Buffy) some lip and saying rude things and so she returned the favor with a witty retort and us peeling out there, laving them sucking our exhaust.

We then headed for the ferry to the island in the South. As we approached it, I attempted to get some of the soundtrack CDs to play on the car stereo. The car did not have a CD player, but it did have a tape deck or some other facility for audio input and I fiddled fruitlessly with adapters. I did't ever get anything to play.

The island we visited had a decent population and was fairly built up. Even so, our trip there was a bust. It went by in a blur and we returned to the cabin we were in without any further information. Fortunately for us, we now had a larger team helping us. There must have been about seven of us now.

A commotion outside got our attention. We all headed outside and see the frat boys from earlier. They were trashing our car. They smashed it and vandalized it, all while yelling loudly. We were worried for our car and our safety until we realized that Brock Samson [of The Venture Bros.] was now part of our team. He headed over to the car and kicked all of the frat boys' asses.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:40 PM
forbidden noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
This. My dreams are awesome. Everyone loves hearing about them. Yes, even you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
Prove it!
Oh good, finally. That was pretty amusing.
Quote:
Like, if someone talks to me in my dream, I just sort of "know" what they said, but I don't hear it. Whenever I htink back on the few dreams I ever remember, I only remember the visuals.
Yeah, I've noticed this too, and the only things I hear in my dreams are sounds from the world around me.

Also, this only occurred to me recently, probably because I've been eating less of it (not by choice I might add, my mom has just been buying it really infrequently because it's gone up in price around here and our freezer is always really full), but I have a lot of dreams that end right when I've served myself a big bowl of ice cream and am getting ready to enjoy it. I get that stolen from me, every time! But it would be only a fake enjoyment anyway.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Rawrther.

I had a dream that I was working at Wendy's and screwing around with my boss's girlfriend. He knew, and gave me all this extra work to do, and I got pissed and quit.

And also I was Batman.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Super Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Emperor of Japan
"Snake Plissken, I, the Emperor of Japan, commend you on your fine job of saving a majority of the passengers aboard that passenger aircraft that was under siege from, coincidentally, a horde of zombie snakes. But I'm afraid I must stop short our elaborate military demonstration in your honor, for there is still the matter of the Yamato Ōhebi. The secret of this giant, legged snake has a been a burden on my conscience for too long, and I fear I would irrevocably damage the honor of the throne I occupy if it escapes from the bowels of the airplane's cargo hold and reeks havoc with the fury it was imbued with by our nation's alchemists over five-hundred years ago. Please Plissken, you must stop the Ōhebi before it is too late!"
I've never even seen Escape from New York or Snakes on a Plane.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:09 PM
twinkling photon

i dream that i enter a raffle to win aquarium

i lose, go to visit aquarium, they think i come to steal it, arrest me
Old 12-05-2008, 10:45 AM

I keep dreaming about Batman. He's the man of my dreams.

I dreamed about the third Nolan Batman movie. The Joker is back! But he's played by a different actor who does a poor job that makes the Joker more irritating than entertaining. And he and his goons are disguised as clergymen sneaking into a church. Batman, and his sidekick - yes - Robin recognize him right off the bat because even though Joker and his goons are wearing monk robes with hoods and stuff, they have clownpaint and necropaint on their faces.

Robin lobs a grenade at the Joker. The Joker turns around and wonders who threw it at him. He assumes it was one of his goons, the goon in a wheelchair. He tells the goon to wheelchair his ass to where the grenade is. The goon does what he's told. The Joker and company stand back.

"Now just stay there, alright!" the Joker screams. He is pissed.

The grenade goes off and the wheelchair dude explodes.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:10 AM
For blood and gold

Oh, I meant to post this yesterday.

I had a dream that reibeatall tweeted about how he had just had sex for the second time. And he was also texting it to many people. I looked at my iPhone to see the text (a la the one posted in the random image thread). As I was looking at my phone, it rang - in real life - and woke me up.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:17 AM

That sounds like reibeatall.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Orb Friend

The other night I dreamed my family and I were living in a large, at least two or three story house. All of a sudden there was a sinkhole, or something that resulted in said house being down in the middle of a big pit. The pit started filling with water, and flooded the entire bottom floor of the house. We all moved up to the very top of the house, taking with us what we could. As the bottom floor was slowly flooding I kept going down, fishing for and eventually diving for other possessions of ours, bringing them up to the top. We were all huddled up there, saving what we could.

Random-ass dream, or worried dream metaphor for the recession? You decide!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:15 PM
and ermine, too

A few nights ago, I had a dream that I was watching a war movie in an IMAX theater with a bunch of people from the 1up Show. At the end of the movie, there was a disturbing sequence where a plane drops atomic bombs off in the distance 'behind' the main action, moving closer and closer until it dropped one right on the camera.

We filed out of the theater, and everyone got into the carpool to go home. Shockingly, a 'real' plane then dropped an atomic bomb on the highway in front of us. Everyone seemed nonplussed as we all cursed our luck and turned around to slowly drive the other way. Then I woke up.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Adorable, but not cute

I try to follow a standard sleep schedule, sometime around eleven or twelve at night, and try to get a healthy amount of sleep. I try, and I'm normally good at sticking to it, but sometimes it doesn't work.

My dreams, however, always seem to be the same. I'm either looking for something/someone or something/someone is looking for me. It's like I'm playing Myst but there'll be more people involved. And the setting changes—I'm either in a forest, a desert, an urban environment, etc—but the architecture, if I ever run into any, looks similar to these examples:

Old 12-14-2008, 06:03 PM

*sprinkles nightmare dust on all the users in this thread*

Good night, sweet princes and princesses.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:07 PM
We just don't know.

I can't remember much of the arc of my dream, mostly scenes here and there, but it involved I think it was a theater group, or community service, or literary club, or something, an extracurricular group at school (although school had little or nothing to do with the dream). Ringworm was there, as one of the club leaders. Hie told us his real name was Hennessey Stone.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Hawkguy

I had a dream sometime last week that I was sent back from the future to protect John Connor from Terminators, but then Terminators started coming to attack him, so I went back in time again to prevent the Terminators from coming. I didn't dream about being the past me, but when the present me met the past older me, older me was a bit of a dick.

Time travel dreams are so confusing.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:18 PM

Well uh, the last dream I can remember is getting an e-mail from an acquaintance about this neat idea about hosting a Christmas show for kids and dressing up like Santa. He sent me a demo YouTube clip and he didn't look like Santa at all. Instead he looked like he had a Spiderman costume painted on him, and the red color of the paint was dripping thick like blood. Huh.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:12 AM
Kerberos Panzer Corps

I usually have several dreams if I wake up between them.

In my first one this night I had to help Al Pacino who had gotten into trouble with some gangsters. He was a really short guy! Queen Latifah was one of the gangsters, and she and her Thompson submachine gun had taken an outdoor restaurant hostage. I managed to throw a whisky glass at her and then one of the waiters knocked her out with a 1,5 litre Pepsi Max bottle. I called my dad to come get me and Al, but we ran into some trouble when the bridge to where my parents live had been replaced with wooden loops like a rollercoaster.

The second dream involved George W Bush and a huge Picross puzzle I had designed, but he couldn't solve.

In the third one I finally got my Persona 4 eBay package. Except it didn't contain the game, it contained a Persona 4 t-shirt. In American XL, which is like European XXL, so it didn't really fit me. Then it became something I'm not entirely sure about, but there was a whole room of female porn stars, but no sex. I managed to hit on Harmony Rose though. Then I had to wash my hands, but noticed I had blood on my white shirt collar, and then woke up.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Last night I had a dream that I was playing a strategy game that used ASCII graphics and involved a mish-mash of modern human armies and fantasy creatures (more of a Those Who Hunt Elves thing than Warhammer 40K). I was overjoyed when I figured out that in certain scenarios a single incendiary grenade could start a large enough fire to totally wipe out one of the Elf Menace's forest outposts. Anyone want to make this game with me?

The night before that I had a very awkward dream. I had a girlfriend and had taken her home to meet my parents. We were sitting in the living room chatting with my mom when my dad came home from work. Mom goes to introduce my girlfriend to him when it turns out she never quite caught her name. They turn to me despite my attempts to stay out of the conversation and I'm forced to admit that in the months we've been going out, I've never learned my girlfriend's name. The girl chokes out, "Well, it sounds like" something I can't catch, maybe Dierdre? and runs out the door, crying.

I woke up from that dream and my very first thought was, "Oh shit, I haven't even met this girl yet and already I'm in the doghouse with her."
Old 01-19-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas
I woke up from that dream and my very first thought was, "Oh shit, I haven't even met this girl yet and already I'm in the doghouse with her."
Haw...

I dreamed I was in a massive swimming pool. One side was devoted to swim races, the other for messing around. That side was amazingly deep. Sharks, killer whales, octopuses and squids lurked beneath and would randomly rise to the surface to snatch people and eat them... and every once and a while, a gigantic Moby Dick-like whale would come out and disturb the whole pool, sending tsunami-like waves crashing about that would leave everyone dead. I tried to stay alive as much as I could. It was creepy looking down through the water and seeing silhouettes of sharks and killer whales. But I survived.

Until I ended up in the pool once again. This time a squid was killing people. It snatched two people in front of me and I swam to the edge, hoping it would ignore me. Instead it went right at me. I grabbed a hose as its tentacles snatched me and dragged me right into its mouth. I tugged on the hose and some how exploded through the ass end of the squid, impaling the monster with the hose. I got pissed off and used the hose to pull myself towards the squid so I could kill it. I found a king's crown on top of its head--aha, the source of its magic power!--and I took it off, put it on my head, swam to the surface, and marshaled all the people who were still alive in the pool to rebel against the pool and kill everything.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Symphony of the Nightbug

I dreamt that George W. Bush and Dick Cheney were dressed as cowboys and riding around on a stagecoach equipped with a flux capacitor, loudly and brazenly assassinating historical figures such as King Henry VIII and General Ulysses S. Grant. The Joker was chasing them through time on his stagecoach, and he was going to kill them for stealing his idea.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfroog View Post
I dreamt that George W. Bush and Dick Cheney were dressed as cowboys and riding around on a stagecoach equipped with a flux capacitor, loudly and brazenly assassinating historical figures such as King Henry VIII and General Ulysses S. Grant. The Joker was chasing them through time on his stagecoach, and he was going to kill them for stealing his idea.
I genuinely have no idea who would win that fight.

I was up a little over 24 hours, went to bed around nine, then bolted awake around four in the morning.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:29 PM
borgn

Can you guys post more traumatic nightmares here? I remember a thread that asked what your worst nightmare was and I got a perverse thrill being scared by other people's bad dreams.

Tags
dreams , physiology , psychology , sleep