The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Space dad

Oh, shoot! Almost forgot Roll Through the Ages and its sequel, RTtA: The Iron Age. I'm more familiar with the first. Light civ/dice game.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:35 AM
We just don't know.

I got one play of RollFtG in a while back. (I've never played Race.) It was okay, but it didn't make a big impression on me. I'd be willing to play it again though, probably.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:10 AM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I got one play of RollFtG in a while back. (I've never played Race.) It was okay, but it didn't make a big impression on me. I'd be willing to play it again though, probably.
I played Roll for the Galaxy 20 times in the first month, and 50 times in the first year (often 2-3 games in a one hour session). So you could say I'm a fan.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:56 AM
Manic Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
What are some of your favorite games with Good Dice, TT?
Disregarding the complexity of the actual game, Advanced Squad Leaders 2d6 infantry combat resolution table is one of my favorite dice-based combat resolutions. The dice favor at least partial hits with slightly below-average shots, and you can often stack your firepower strength to have almost-guaranteed if not guaranteed hits. The other thing that makes this table great is it doesn't simply have binary hit-or-miss. You pin (stun) targets, make them roll a morale check (i.e. if they take a hit), make them roll a morale check at a penalty, outright wound targets, and outright kill targets along with wounding the rest of a group.

The other thing is that the dice can trigger events. The dice rolling an exact number activates a sniper event. If the colored die (i.e. one of the dice) rolls under a certain value (low rolls are better in ASL), it can trigger machine guns bonus fire. Rolling doubles causes the firers to cower and roll on a less-effective column on the table.

A lot of the dice in this game act like this. The aforementioned morale checks aren't binary either, rolling equal to the check can pin (again, stun), rolling too high can cause the unit to actually permanently downgrade in stats.

ASL, and a lot of other traditional hex-and-counter wargames, taught me that a few dice that do a lot of things are far more interesting than a bunch of dice that only do one thing.

Earth Reborn is a game that lets you roll a lot of dice, but the dice do a bunch of different things...so that's also great. Shame a lot of them (especially ASL) are overly complicated :P

And yeah, games that distribute dice to allow a lot of interesting options even on "low" rolls tend to be smart. Alien Frontiers, Castles of Burgundy, Seasons, etc. The other thing I noticed is games that allow you to manipulate dice facings or simply modify them in some way are pretty good.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Help me talk myself out of this please!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:45 AM
Manic Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
You'll still need folding tables to fit this or this

EDIT: Hell, Eclipse would be a squeeze if Game of Thrones takes up that much space on that table.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Space dad

Quote:
Get two 6-foot folding tables from Walmart or Target or something, put them side by side. Buy a few trays for pieces. Small food-storage containers or adjustable hardware boxes work for small bits. $80-$120 total. Spend the rest of the pledge amount on games.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:15 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
Get two 6-foot folding tables from Walmart or Target or something, put them side by side. Buy a few trays for pieces. Small food-storage containers or adjustable hardware boxes work for small bits. $80-$120 total. Spend the rest of the pledge amount on games.
six foot table is too big for my place two of them even more so. That is what was appealing about the 4 x4 aspect.

You're right though I can find a 4 x 4 folding table or close approximate for much cheaper.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:58 PM
Bob

Maybe one day when I have my own place with actual room I'll get one of these gaming tables, but until then these remain firmly outside my price range. They look so freaking cool and convenient though.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:44 PM
d.o_o.b

Quote:
DON'T BUY A RACING WHEEL
Old 09-25-2017, 12:23 PM
and ermine, too

The past two weeks have been weird - there was a death in the family (I have a good support network that I have been SUPER thankful for) and I played a hell of a lot of games with close friends this week to take my mind off of it for a bit. It's honestly exactly what I needed.

Innovation
Saint Petersburg
Bohnanza: the Duel
7x Codenames Duet
2x Arkham Horror: The Card Game
4x Spirit Island
Abraca... what?
A Brief History of the World
Chariot Race
4x Too Many Cinderellas
2x Lisboa
2x La Granja (new)
2x Koryo
2x Tinner's Trail (new)
Pandemic: The Cure
Wasteland Express Delivery Service (new)
Quadropolis

Spirit Island helped the most, because it does such a good job of balancing "watch your friends do cool shit" with some necessary coordination. I have played 11 times since August, which is probably enough to have opinions about my favorite spirits: Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island, Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds, River Surges in Sunlight, and Thunderspeaker.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game also took my mind off of things. We're only missing co-op Mage Knight to complete the trilogy.

Wasteland Express Delivery Service was Anthony's birthday gift. The game is fine, but the production is weird enough to be annoying. I don't complain about tiny text that often (Ora et Labora and Steampunk Rally have tiny icons and text and they're fine), but Wasteland Express Delivery Service fills 80% of its contract cards with flavor text, and the remaining 20% of the card describes the mission, and nearly every public contract has special rules that are not indicated on the card.

Strategy-wise, I'm pretty sure we're collectively undervaluing +1 speed as an upgrade. Upgrading speed is the most obvious thing to do in, say, Empire Builder, and the guy who starts with +1 speed has won 2/2 games. :P

I've really been asking to play more heavy/thinky euros this month. Lisboa has been great with 2, 3, and 4 players. Tinners' Trail left a weird first impression, and we decided to play it a second time performing the investment phase more or less simultaneously, and it worked fine.

Oh, and now I have a trio of Spielworxx/Quined/Capstone games sitting on the dining room table, La Granja, Haspelknecht, and The Ruhr. I'm hoping to play Haspelknecht and The Ruhr this week.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:52 AM
King Of Space-Time

Herre's the Kickstarter video for Ankama's Monster Slaughter

Old 09-28-2017, 08:20 AM

1X Caverna (3 players)
2X Patchwork (2 players)
1X Castles of Burgundy (2 players)

Caverna continues to be the game I crave playing. Unfortunately I screwed up the rules on one of the rooms I built. I used it to feed multiple dwarves, but it can feed only one. I blame 50% me, 50% unspectacular translation. There was no option but to invalidate my score at the end of the game

My girlfriend loves Patchwork, but I think I've figured out a strong strategy. She won the first two games we played but I've won the last three.

I had a good time with Castles (as always) but my girlfriend isn't fond of it. I think she finds it too dry...
Old 09-29-2017, 03:55 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I seem to recall that there were a few folks interested in TI4 a few pages back. Anyway, for those folks, and anyone else who might like to check it out, SU&SD made a TI4 documentary that was recently finished:

Old 09-29-2017, 04:18 PM
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
LIONS IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!

the POST POLICE are onto you, JBear!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2017, 07:01 PM
King Of Space-Time

Cellophane, Mister Cellophane...
Old 10-02-2017, 09:07 AM
An Animal of Joy

I had a very enjoyable game of Mansions of Madness with 3 friends yesterday. We managed to seal the evil on the final action of the final turn. Not only was it one turn away from escaping the house, but I had just been killed for good measure after serving 4 turns as a dazed/restrained punching bag for several monsters. I didn't mind since self-sacrifice was certainly the theme of this scenario. It really came down to a few Evade rolls to win, but in general this scenario would have been impossible on the first try without Duke, Ashcan Pete's dog.

My personal high point was solving a 4-digit mastermind puzzle in 4 guesses. Huge cheers all around the table.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:44 PM
Yes, let's feast!

I've been itching for a new co-op for my wife and me to sink our teeth into, and I think Spirit Island juuuust might do it. There's a lot of meat on those bones!

Now I've just gotta figure out how to get a copy...
Old 10-06-2017, 02:59 PM
Inherently Stealthy

One major point in Spirit Island's favor: it scales really well. You add a board to the island for each player, so in 1p or 2p games the complexity is lower and there's fewer hot-spots and potential cascades, while in larger games you can pull off bigger combos.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Yes, let's feast!

I tried a 1p game on TTS. (I would definitely be up for multiplayer.) It's tense even on the tight board. I won pretty handily as River Surges in Sunlight once I was able to get my first major power and max-level innate (they happened on the same turn, and it was nearly a full board clear), but I can imagine the game gets way more hectic with twice the island space and multiple spirits doing their thing.

I don't have any frame of reference for the other spirits, but River Surges in Sunlight gives you a good appreciation for herding the invaders around the board and controlling their spawns.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Space dad

So I've been playing a PbF game of Glorantha: The Gods War (somewhat similar to Cthulhu Wars and by the same designer) and it is very, very good. The Kickstarter is supposed to ship late this year or early next year, and once it does I'll go into it more. But if you love CW and want something like that but with a bit more in the way of negotiation and wheeling and dealing, and where the factions are a bit less grossly overpowered, look into it.

The game is based on a kind of obscure (?) RPG setting from Chaosium, with the Gods War being an event that took place in its past. What's kinda neat is how the starting setup mimics the war, which involved the storm god killing the sun god, the sun god ending up in hell and expelling the trolls from their home with his light, and the world starting to come apart at the seams as all this mess allowed chaos to manifest. So your base game factions are Storm, Sun (whose greater god starts on the map, but in hell), Darkness (whose troll units all start in hell but leave for the surface at the start of the second round) and Chaos (who fuck with everyone).

Last edited by Sarcasmorator; 10-07-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:16 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
The game is based on a kind of obscure (?) RPG setting from Chaosium, with the Gods War being an event that took place in its past. What's kinda neat is how the starting setup mimics the war, which involved the storm god killing the sun god, the sun god ending up in hell and expelling the trolls from their home with his light, and the world starting to come apart at the seams as all this mess allowed chaos to manifest. So your base game factions are Storm, Sun (whose greater god starts on the map, but in hell), Darkness (whose troll units all start in hell but leave for the surface at the start of the second round) and Chaos (who fuck with everyone).
King of Dragon Pass takes place in this setting. (Which is hardly a refutation of its obscurity, of course.) I don't know anything about greater Glorantha, but King of Dragon Pass is Good Stuff, so it gets my thumbs-up.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:35 AM
23 ski-dook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I've been itching for a new co-op for my wife and me to sink our teeth into, and I think Spirit Island juuuust might do it. There's a lot of meat on those bones!

Now I've just gotta figure out how to get a copy...
Spirit Island is super good. Pence and I have played it like 12 times since we picked it up, and we still haven't gotten anywhere close to being done with it.

The expansion and promo spirits are also all really interesting and fun to play as. I love that the game provides you with so much variety and that none of it feels undercooked or "Kickstarter-y."
Old 10-08-2017, 08:27 PM
An Animal of Joy

Got rocked in my first game of Scythe. It was really hard to know what to do in the beginning, especially with my faction/action combo (Not-Poland + agriculture). My starting spaces had food and wood, but those corresponded to the most expensive actions on my board. It took a lot of turns to break out of my starting bubble. My choice was either spending 6-7 turns producing enough wood and workers to build a tunnel, or spend 3 turns using VPs to trade for iron to deploy a mech and then 3-4 more turns to get workers to move across the water. I feel like everyone else had a much more efficient option.

In retrospect I feel like I should have just spent the first 12 turns alternately spending a VP for 2 oil, and then getting 1-3 VPs and an Upgrade, which I realized at the end of the game is totally possible on the Agriculture board. And then only start playing when all the other actions are super cheap.

The top player got 111, the rest of us got 64, 58, and 57. It wasn't much of a contest. Still liked it and hope to play again sometime.

Cottage Garden was alright, I think it's basically a 4-player version of Patchwork. You fit shapes together. I did alright and barely won. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place were all one point apart. I have no insight about how to play it well.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:40 AM
and ermine, too

The past two weeks:

1x Spirit Island
1x 1846
1x Outpost
2x The Ruhr: A Story of Coal Trade (new)
2x Haspelknecht (new)
2x Wasteland Express Delivery Service
1x Lisboa
1x Luna
1x Poseidon
2x London Dread (new)
1x Koryo
1x The Lost Expedition
3x First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet (new)
1x Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

I finally got to play Outpost again last weekend and we finished with scores of... 80 / 74 / 74. Which is about the closest game of Outpost I've ever seen.

London Dread is quite nice for a co-op, real time coordination and planning with a fun theme. I was kind of sleep deprived during the second play and I kept messing up the plan.

First Martians has been pretty divisive on BGG. I find myself somewhere in the middle - it's fine as a single scenario but the two we have played felt a lot more like tutorials than the equivalent scenarios in Robinson Crusoe. Feels like the campaign is the "real" game.

The Ruhr and Haspelknect have nothing to do with one another, other than sharing a designer, publisher, and theme. The Ruhr feels very tactical. There's a tech tree but nearly everyone will unlock 80% of it by the end of the game, and the rest comes down to timing.

(we started putting 1846 away before I remembered to take a picture, so it's missing stations and share values)
Old 10-15-2017, 08:52 PM
An Animal of Joy

Played Castles and Catacombs 2v2, and I liked it a fair bit more than Catacombs by itself. Mainly because it's shorter and more exciting. I think a full dungeon in Catacombs kind of overstays its welcome considering the simple play. We lost by one HP, which really hurt since I was definitely the player with the worst aim and control when flicking. If I had made any of 4 or 5 gimmes throughout the match we could have won. My final move was particularly embarrassing, when I ended up about 2mm short of my target from about 2 inches away.

Also played Nyet (the unideal version from Mu and Much More) and it was too long, and not really as fun as a lot of other trick-taking games we play. There's also a lot of options to dampen competition once one player ends up in the lead, which I admit I exploited. You can pick the second player as your teammate so you share a score. You can lower the points rewards for the subsequent rounds, or make the rounds shorter and therefore worth less by making everyone discard. And there's some other defensive plays when choosing trumps. Probably not going to be trying this again.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:17 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

The Exceed Season 2 kickstarter has a big collector's box that fits all the game's characters at once and it is very sexy. On the other hand, one of the things I appreciate about Exceed is the fact that it normally comes in such small, easy to store boxes. I'm very conflicted here!
Old 10-18-2017, 02:54 PM
TARANTUL

If BattleCon's any indication they'll drop the big box, anyway!
Old 10-18-2017, 02:57 PM

Got to play some Pandemic a couple nights ago. The game is a lot of fun (and the novelty of a cooperative game is still new and fun for me) but dang, once it got late and we were tired the complexity of the game began to overwhelm our sleep-deprived brains.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:58 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
If BattleCon's any indication they'll drop the big box, anyway!
This one isn't a separate campaign, it's a stretch goal for this KS.

Tags
afk , bard games , board dames , board games , board james , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it