The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 10-12-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Genuinely floored that this didn't make it. Only one other vote, even? I guess the silver lining is that I wasn't spoiling when I mentioned it in my FFL3 post up-thread?
Hmm, I actually considered it because I remembered liking the final boss theme (and I guess the normal battle them too) and I actually listened to the whole OST in preparation to the voting. I put it into my list of possible candidates, but it didn't make it to the list of games I definitely have to mention for the OST.

Quote:
Phantasy Star (SMS) - I never expected this to make it, and I'm actually pleased that I miraculously wasn't the only vote for it! Huzzah!
The reason why I wouldn't vote for that one is that the three tracks I love from the OST all reappear in Phantasy Star IV and sound better there IMO. And Phantasy Star IV also adds a lot of amazing tracks on top.

I voted for Phantasy Star II, which is quite a different music genre, but just sounds as beautiful.

Quote:
7th Saga - As I've mentioned on more than one occasion, I've been known to listen to the 2-second long victory jingle for this on loop. I love the music in this game, which does a lot to... sand off the rough edges when I play it.
I knew you would vote for it. I didn't, but it would have been one of those "unpopular games with good OSTs" titles I'd wish to have seen more on the top 50.

Quote:
Arcana
Yeah, that one has a great OST too. But I will always sees this game as a copy of Shining in the Darkness of which I also like the OST a lot, so I couldn't vote for it without voting for Shining in the Darkness first and even that didn't make the cut.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
Perfect Cherry Blossom - Absolutely had to have some ZUN. I went with an obvious and iconic soundtrack, but the personal connection is significant because it was my first exposure to his compositional quirks, among which rank super sentimental chord progressions, trumpet and percussion samples bordering on abrasive, and extremely fiddly and manic melodic structures. Somehow it's all endearing when it coalesces together, and Perfect Cherry Blossom is one of the most blatantly emotional scores within that particularity.
Ah, at least one other person voted for Touhou! I honestly considered making my top 10 titles all Touhou titles at first, but then decided to listen to all the OSTs again to figure out which one is really the best and then vote for that.

I personally concluded that Mountain of Faith has the best OST. Stage 1 is the perfect start and Stage 6 is just absolutely epic, the best track of all Touhou OSTs imo.

We both voted Touhou on #3, just different titles!

I put Ten Desires on #26 and Undefined Fantastic Object on #27.

Ten Desires has a bit different OST from the normal Zun stuff but it just sounds as amazing. Stage 6 is the best example for that.

Undefined Fantastic Object is very special for me. First of all, the OST is the one that works best with what's actually happening on the screen. All the melodies are memorable. And Provincial Makai City Esoteria (see story below).

But Perfect Cherry Blossom is also nice. It's probably my fourth place in best Touhou OSTs.

-------------------------------------------

Regarding Undefined Fantastic Object I wanted to tell a story if it made it to the top 50, but I guess I'll just do that now.

I could actually say that the Undefined Fantastic Object OST partially ruined my life. In particular "Provincial Makai City Esoteria". This track is so catchy, that I just HAVE to whistle the melody whenever I hear it. I cannot not do it, seriously.

The problem with that was that our new neighbors were a bit sound sensitive and came up to complain about me being noisy all the time. And me whistling Provincial Makai City Esoteria all day finally got them take legal measures against me whistling, which meant a lot of stress for me and me no longer be allowed to whistle songs.

No longer whistling songs really was hard for me. I fell into a depression. I couldn't play my favorite games anymore. And shortly after that, my back pain problems multiplied (stress makes pain transmit stronger). So I kind of blame all the problems I had afterwards, on that one moment.

I still love this song. F**k those neighbors!
Old 10-12-2017, 01:41 PM
Armor Guardian

Thanks for running this show, Conch and Brain!

I kind of feel bad for not contributing much to this discussion. I feel very inadequate when it comes to talking about music, and there were a lot of soundtracks that placed that I was unfamiliar with.

---
For my list I had a limit of one game per 'series', which I kind of defined haphazardly. I considered classic Mega Man and Mega Man X to be different series, but for other long-running franchises like Final Fantasy or Castlevania I didn't split them into sub-series like that. Moreover, I had a lot of somewhat arbitrary classifications I used, such as 'pre-DPCM bass Sunsoft NES games', 'Sunsoft games with DPCM bass', '8-bit shmups by Compile', '16-bit Treasure games', '16-bit RPGs by Square', and '8-bit stuff by the Follin brothers', all of which I considered 'series' in their own right. This kind of messy triage was necessary for me to pare down the list to a nice 25.

Ordering the list was madness, and in retrospect pretty much random for everything below the Top 5.

The list:
Non-placers are in bold.
  1. Alien Soldier - Lurk!!!
  2. Final Fantasy 6 - Mt. Koltz
  3. Mega Man 2 - Quick Man
  4. Katamari Damacy - Que Sera Sera
  5. F-Zero GX - Osc-Sync Carnival
  6. Thunder Force 4 - Space Walk
  7. Silver Surfer - High Score
  8. Contra: Hard Corps - Zephyr
  9. Zen: Intergalactic Ninja - High Speed Railway
  10. Metroid - Norfair
  11. Tetrisphere - Faze
  12. Rocket Knight Adventures - Stage 5-1
  13. The Adventures of Batman and Robin (Genesis) - Psycho Section
  14. Shatterhand - Final Area
  15. Mega Man X - Sigma Fortress 1
  16. Sonic Mania - Chemical Plant Zone Act 2
  17. Shovel Knight - The Betrayer
  18. Star Fox - Controls
  19. Blaster Master - Area 3
  20. Super Castlevania 4 - The Submerged City
  21. Gimmick! - Good Night (Take 2)
  22. Gauntlet IV (Genesis) - Transparent Obstacle
  23. Magician (NES) - Meryl Forest
  24. Power Strike II (aka GG Aleste 2) - Bionic City
  25. Undertale - Can You Really Call This A Hotel, I Didn't Receive A Mint On My Pillow Or Anything

8/25 placed

Breakdown by Generation, then platform:
  • 3rd: 9 (NES: 8, GG: 1)
  • 4th: 10 (SNES: 4, SMD: 6)
  • 5th: 1 (N64: 1)
  • 6th: 2 (PS2: 1, GCN: 1)
  • 7th: 0
  • Current: 3 (NES: 1, Multi: 2)
Assorted commentary:
Alien Soldier - I already wrote about this.

Katamari Damacy - I've only played the PSP Katamari game, but I listen to this soundtrack regularly. (Also, why is there an .mp3 of Weird Al's 'I Remember Larry' in the folder where I keep this?)

Thunder Force 4 - The rhythmic irregularity in my highlighted track, Space Walk, are simply sublime.

Zen: Intergalactic Ninja - Effectively Konami's swan song to the NES, with a fairly large cast of composers. Really good stuff.

Tetrisphere - It's hard to hear in the YouTube upload, but the bass in Faze is ridiculous. Demolition teams are known to use it to destroy large buildings (please listen responsibly).

The Adventures of Batman and Robin (Genesis) - Jesper Kyd's finest soundtrack. There's some deliciously harsh electronica in here.

Sonic Mania - I decided this was one of my favorite soundtracks literally the day before I submitted this list.

Magician (NES) - There are some very long, atmospheric, and melancholic pieces in here. Listen to the whole thing here. I highly recommend looking up the other soundtracks done by this composer, Neil Baldwin, like James Bond Jr. or Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge.

Power Strike II (aka GG Aleste 2) - I considered it a tossup between this and The Guardian Legend for Compile's best 8-bit soundtrack.
Almost angry at myself for completely forgetting about Eschatos.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:01 PM

@RT-55J
That's a pretty nice list! So you're the other guy who voted Thunder Force IV. :-)
Rocket Knight Adventures was also a really good call. I should listen to that OST again (just listened to your favorite right now).

Out of all the great UnderTale tracks, the hotel one is your favorite, though?
Old 10-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Issun, can you tell me the winning numbers of this friday's european lottery? I'm not greedy, 5 out of 6 will do ^_^
Conchobhar got the top 5 on my list in one, so I figured I'd return the favor. It was a pretty easy guess, as those were the five games left that absolutely had to be on a TT vg music list. Thanks for running this, guys! Great jorb all around.

I do see that, once again, I was the only one to vote for Castle Crashers.

At least someone else voted for FF III.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:46 PM

I would have guessed wrong, because I never would have guessed Katamari Damacy. But the other four were pretty clear to me as well.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:50 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Conchobhar got the top 5 on my list in one, so I figured I'd return the favor.
It's like poetry, it rhymes.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:49 PM
Outer Spacean

Ack my writeups are gonna take a while. So here's the top six (and I'll work my way through the rest tomorrow and the weekend). I'm gonna keep the ones that made the list super brief and go into the games that didn't make it more elaborately. A link to the playlist will be included for those as well:

Chrono Trigger (Yasunori Mitsuda, Nabuo Uematsu) – Memories of Green

In terms of an overall soundtrack, I just can't think of one that hits nearly every piece of music out of the park the same way Chrono Trigger does.

Beyond Good & Evil (Christophe Héral) – Home Sweet Home

Héral is an unsung genius in my opinion for this masterwork. The emotion and beauty of these compositions is just incredible to me. “Home Sweet Home” in particular is a gorgeous example of a hub area theme that drips with personality and depth. It captures the wonder of Hillys and the melancholy of Jade's plight within it. Just beautiful stuff. “Hillyan Suite” is another elegant track rich with diverse instrumentation and a nice exploratory vibe. But the soundtrack takes some intriguing turns; “Propaganda” is a fascinating hip-hop styled track that combines spoken word and some callout choruses (in French I believe); “Mammago's Garage” is drenched in reggae flavor; “Ancient Chinese Secrets” captures the title country's namesake with its gentle strings and percussion (although I'm not sure why Héral or UBI Soft named it that to be honest). And the game's dungeon and battle themes are spectacular and surge along with the sneaking/combat. Overall astounding stuff. I suggest giving the playlist I've linked a shot!

Okami (Masami Ueda, Hiroshi Yamaguchi, Hiroyuki Hamada, Rei Kondoh, Akari Groves) – Shinshu Plains I & II

Another brilliant soundtrack that encompasses the game it scores with nary a fault.

Skies of Arcadia (Yutaka Minobe, Takayuki Maeda) – Lower Valua

I adore Skies' soundtrack so much. It was the first RPG that really hooked me with its musical chops.

Batman (NES)
(Naoki Kodaka, Nobuyuki Hara) – Level 1

Naoki Kodaka is a composing god. I kid you not. If you haven't played a Sunsoft game on the NES, most of which he composed, I advise you to look into at the very least the US backcatalog, just to listen to his handiwork. Because what he did would not be mimicked by nearly any other musician working their magic on the system (except other Sunsoft musicians). He pioneered a bass/drum style that became synonymous with the company beginning with Blaster Master, but Batman is his magnum opus. Every single track on this game's score is sheer nirvana to the chiptune lover within me. Level 1/5 is my pick for the cream of the crop here, but honestly you can't go wrong with any of it. (I don't know what Hara composed here, but I believe Kodaka did most of it)

Dragon Quest VIII (Koichi Sugiyama)
– Strange World ~ Marching Through the Fields

My vote here is for the PS2 NA release of the game with its soaring orchestral score that the Japanese original and the 3DS remake regrettably both lack. It's SO GOOD. My top pick is “Strange World”, a hauntingly subdued piece reserved for wandering around in the overworld. It's got just enough intrigue wrapped up in its notes to really sell the sense of walking about in a...well, strange world! But I also really like the town themes “Chatting”, “Peaceful Town” and “Quiet Village”, which capture either the humdrum of a small village or the more energetic towns and cities superbly, as well as the primary battle theme “War Cry”, which has a nice edge to it that works well with the fighting.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:04 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

When I set out to create my list, I decided on some self-imposed rules. Otherwise, half the damn list was going to be Final Fantasy tracks. They were:

1. I had to have finished the game or played enough of it to speak intelligently about the music.

2. Only three games per series, although "gaiden" games didn't count. (So I could vote for three classic Mega Man games while I also voting for Mega Man X, as an example.)

3. The OST had to be comprised of music I would listen to outside of the context of playing the game. I listen to music pretty much all the time - very musically-inclined family, I grew up with lots of live music and got music appreciation drilled into by osmosis - but I don't listen to videogame music very often. An OST has to really grab me for me to listen to it when I'm not playing the game.

Here's the games I voted for that didn't make the list:

1. Soul Blazer (SNES) "Southera"
2. Street Fighter 2 Turbo (SNES) "Ken's Theme"
3. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES) "Battle 2"
4. Prey (2017) (Multi-plat) "Into The Tunnels"
5. Axiom Verge (Multi-plat) "Rusalka"
6. Ninja Gaiden 2 (NES) "Ending Part 2"
7. Bioshock (Multi-plat) "Welcome To Rapture"
8. Bravely Default (3DS) "Wicked Flight"
9. Castlevania 2 (NES) "Within These Castle Walls"
10. World of Warcraft (PC) "Lament of the Highborne"
11. Mega Man 5 (NES) "Ending Theme"
12. Sonic The Hedgehog (Genesis) "Green Hill Zone"

Aaaand a little bit about them:

Soul Blazer - Like I said, incredible soundtrack and one of the best on the SNES. Although I put "Southera/Solitary Islands" as my favorite track, "World of Soul Blazer", which plays on the world map, is a wonderfully melancholic track that fits in well with the bizarre impressionism of the world map - unlike most games of the era, the world map is not a flat square, it's a series of hubs that you bounce between, and the "world" (such as it is) is suspended in space-time. The imagery is beautiful and eerie and very 16-bit and the music, which invokes a feeling of sadness that ties directly into some of game's themes, is pitch perfect. Some other standout tracks are the vaguely Middle Eastern/Far Eastern "Temple of Light", the relaxing but determined "Seabed of St. Elles", and the spastic, alien "Dr. Leo's Laboratory".

One of my favorite games and one of my favorite OSTs. (I should probably do a deep-dive essay one day on the thematic material and gameplay elements that bind Actraiser, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma together.)

Street Fighter 2 Turbo - The themes here are tied to my childhood, so there's no small amount of nostalgia with this pick. Even still, Street Fighter 2 is so woven into the fabric of gaming, it's hard to imagine why it didn't rank at all. (PB's edit shows it at #50; I'll take what I can get.) I consider many of the themes, especially Ken and Guile, to be iconic. I put them on the same level as World 1-1 in Super Mario Bros. or the overworld music in the original Legend of Zelda. They're that significant.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - A generally underappreciated, and often outright unappreciated, gem of a game with an amazing OST. Highlights for me include "Hill of Fate", "Battle 1", "Battle 2" (my pick), and the ridiculously good "Last Castle". I've also always enjoyed the solemn, somewhat creepy "Dungeon of Ice" and the beautifully ethereal "Dungeon and Waterfall".

The more I listen to this OST the more I think I should have placed it higher. An incredible work.

Prey(2017) - I really can't heap enough praise on Prey, not just as one of the best games I've played in recent memory but also for the incredible, synth-fueled soundtrack. It's got quite a bit of ambience going for it, if you dig that sort of thing. Mick Gordon did a lot of the work here, the man behind the OSTs for Doom (2016) and the newer Wolfenstein games, among others. Standout tracks: "Everything Is Going To Be Okay", "Into The Tunnels" (a Matt Piersall track; my pick), and the genuinely unsettling "No Gravity". "Alex Theme" is also a great one.

Axiom Verge - AV is one of the best Metroidvanias to be released in a long time, and it was developed entirely by one guy, Thomas Happ. For me, it's the music that seals that deal on its greatness. The themes of the alien and synthetic and otherworldliness apparent in the game are matched gloriously by an equally unsettling and alien soundtrack. All the tracks work, really, but some of my favorites are "Rusalka", "The Axiom", "Trace Rising", and the incredible "Apocalypse".

Ninja Gaiden 2 - Decidedly 8-Bit OST but no less impressive because of it. It's another one tied closely to nostalgia. I was never very good at it but I watched my little brother play NG2 over and over and over until it was a delicious snack, something he'd occasionally blast through because it was comfort food. As such, I listened to the OST a lot while he was mastering the game. I also remember putting in the controller inputs to unlock the sound test and we'd just listen for hours. "Act 1" is just ingrained in my memory; "Act 2 Part 2" and "Cutscene 11" perhaps even moreso. "Boss Battle 3" is some of weirdest damn boss music I've ever heard. My pick was "Ending Theme 2". Superb.

Bioshock - My favorite game from the aughts. I never played the System Shock games, which I understand are better in some ways, but Bioshock was a fucking revelation. I haven't been taken with a game quite the same way since. Not even Bioshock Infinite, a game that has its detractors but one that I thought was Game of the Year in 2013, is better than Bioshock 1. The OST is no small reason why I love the game. "Welcome To Rapture" was my pick but the whole OST is a grandiose combination of beauty and psychosis. I mean, those strings in "Dr. Steinman" and "Step Into My Gardens"! And "Cohens Masterpiece" is as good a funeral dirge for Rapture as any.

The only real problem I can find is that the OST is entirely too short.

Bravely Default - Despite the banality of the "gimmick" in this game that becomes apparent after Chapter 4, it's probably one of the best RPGs I've played. (I have not finished Bravely Second.) Perhaps more than other titles here, the OST elevates the game from being merely pretty good to being something that is very good. I have a thing for choral tracks, so "Four Legends" is right up my alley, but what really elevates it is the mix of genres present. Then there's "Land of Beginnings" that sounds to me like a proper Final Fantasy outtake, something out of FF7. The Celtic-inspired "Beneath the Hollow Moon" is as good as any "love" theme I've heard in an RPG. My personal favorite track is "Wicked Flight"; it may be one of the best boss battle tracks in any game.

If anything, there's so much to digest in BD's OST that I find it hard to tackle sometimes. It has the opposite problem than Bioshock; it's almost too long.

Castlevania 2 - Another one closely tied to nostalgia. I'm a big fan of the Castlevania series and on the NES, Castlevania 2 is the game I've played the most of. The kid version of myself found Castlevania 1 to be too difficult and we never owned Castlevania 3. For some reason, Castlevania 2 just fit. With the help of a guide to get through the more obtuse parts, I eventually remembered how to get through and like my brother with Ninja Gaiden 2, I would just turn it on sometimes and make a "quick" jaunt through the game. "Message of Darkness" (title screen) is a measure creepier than anything in Castlevania 1 and set the mood. The now-iconic "Bloody Tears" debuted here. My pick was "Within These Castle Walls", a perfectly eerie track that plays before the final showdown. Speaking of final showdown, "Last Boss" is simple but effective.

And yes, the NES versions of those tunes are better than the FDS versions by a country mile.

World of Warcraft - It feels fairly weird even placing WoW on the list because of the sheer breadth of music available. You could easily do a Top 50 World of Warcraft tunes, and you'd have a ton of great leftovers not even on the list. The music doesn't really lend itself very well to even separating by tracks. There's hours of music available, much of an epic in scope and reach. For my favorite, I picked "Lament of the Highborne". It's a track, such as it is, that is performed by Sylvanas Windrunner in the game when you finish a certain quest. There's a story tied to the character, heartbreaking and chilling if you know the lore. The track is often performed live, such as here.

Mega Man 5 - Mega Man games are well known for their great music, and I hardly need to convince anyone here. I had a hard time picking a favorite track but settled on "Ending Theme", a superb and triumphant track and one of my favorite ending tracks for a MM title.

Sonic The Hedgehog - Truth be told, I'm not super familiar with Sonic games. I was a Nintendo kid through and through. My first non-Nintendo system would be the original PlayStation; my first (and last, sadly) Sega system would be the Dreamcast. Despite Nintendo's iron grip on my childhood, I did have friends and cousins that had the Genesis and of course the showcase game was Sonic The Hedgehog. I have "Green Hill Zone" burned into my memory and, incidentally, it's the track I picked as favorite. "Starlight Zone" is pretty great too; Smooth's version is fantastic, though.

Anyway, big thanks to PB and Conch for running this! I had a lot of fun rummaging through other people's favorites and revisiting my own.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Armor Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
@RT-55J
Out of all the great UnderTale tracks, the hotel one is your favorite, though?
Can You Really Call This A Hotel, I Didn't Receive A Mint On My Pillow Or Anything is a different song than Hotel. The former is much, much more exciting than the latter.

Really though, I have a lot of favorites from that soundtrack, so my choice was pretty much arbitrary. I could have just as easily swapped that track out for Amalgam, Metal Crusher, Spider Dance, Heartache, Reunited, Last Goodbye, or a dozen different songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Mega Man 5 - ..."Ending Theme", a superb and triumphant track and one of my favorite ending tracks for a MM title.
Heck yes. I love this.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:19 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Thanks again to conchobhar and Positronic Brain for managing all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
shame on y'all for not having robo's theme as your representative tune
I assumed this was going to be the Rickroll version but I was wrong.

Intersection with top 50:
1. Final Fantasy 4 (SNES)
2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1) - 10 way tie for favorite track
3. Final Fantasy 6 (SNES) - 34 way tie for fave
5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
6. Chrono Trigger (SNES) "Frog's Theme" (there was an 18 way tie here for my only infinitesimally less than most favorite track)

16. ActRaiser (SNES)
21. Super Mario Brothers 1 (NES) "Castle Clear"
24. Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)
25. Chrono Cross (PS1) "Scars of Time"

Outside of the top 50 set:
4. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PS1) - 14 way tie for fave
Yes it is cheesy and anime-ish but this was before that proliferated all over the place.

7. Ninja Gaiden (NES) "Seeking the Truth" AKA Act 5 Part 3
Great chiptunes. (This pretty much applies to every NES pick I have.)

8. The Guardian Legend (NES) - 4 way tie : Ending Theme, Final Corridor, Stage Desert Fields, Stage Snowy Fields
Ending Theme has a beautiful melancholy to it befitting of the bittersweet victory that you achieve in the game.

9. River City Ransom (NES) - tie : twin dragons / prologue & credit
The greatest NES version of Twin Dragons / Dragon Brothers.

10. Contra (NES) "Base"
11. Castlevania 1 (NES) "Heart of Fire"
12. Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest (NES) "Bloody Tears"

13. Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals (SNES) - 11 way tie for fave
While compiling my list I listened to the soundtrack for both SNES Lufia games and I was struck by how much better the soundtrack was for 2 when compared to 1. Neverland really stepped up their game in Lufia 2 - on all fronts.

14. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES) - Palace theme(s?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7Sh82Mzdc
I think I made a mistake here and had a tieing favorite track from the FDS version soundtrack that was another Palace theme (but not the Great Palace). Not sure what happened there.

15. Super Mario World (SNES) - 4 way tie : World Map 2, Fortress Theme, Boss Battle, Valley of Bowser
Bowser keeps it funky* in his valley.

*Not Kong.

17. Final Fantasy 1 (NES) [I seem to have lost all of my notes about my favorite selection(s) here.]
18. Super Mario Brothers 2 (NES) "Cave Theme"
19. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES) - 4 way tie : Title part 1, Fight Theme, Game Over, Ending Theme
20. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - 5 way tie : Castle Corridor, Top Floor, Hammer's Shop, Last Battle, Heart of Fire
22. Street Fighter 2 (SNES) - 5 way tie : Ryu, GuiLe, Ken, Zangief, BaLrog (the boxer)
23. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES) - 3 way tie : Opening Theme, Big Apple - 3 AM, Bury My Shell At Wounded Knee

Knux to :WildcatJF, four-so, Daikaiju, Taeryn, Johnny Unusual, Hazama Kuro, JBear, Peklo and ozacrot. edit: And Rascally Badger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Place Game Pts Mentions
370 Wild Arms 14 1
Do I even need to ask what the favorite track was for this entry?

Quote:
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Genuinely floored that this didn't make it. Only one other vote, even?
It is my greatest shame that I forgot to even include this for consideration while compiling my list. *readies his tanto for performing seppuku*

Last edited by Torzelbaum; 10-13-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:03 PM
This Guy

I've been mostly away the last week or so, so I haven't had a chance to comment on the top 10 or so. I don't know how much I have to add other than a temptation to flip the table because Chrono Cross is about 10 spots too low at 5.

Here's my list, with those that didn't make it in bold:

1. Chrono Cross - Reminiscence of Feelings not Forgotten
2. Suikoden 2 - Children Playing in the Fields
3. Mega Man 2 - Dr. Wily Stage 1
4. Chrono Trigger - Peaceful Days
5. Final Fantasy 6 - Cyan's Theme
6. Mega Man X - Spark Mandrill
7. Super Mario 3D World - Sprawling Savanna
8. Castlevania 3
9. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - Mangrove Cove
10. Shadow of the Colossus - Opened Path
11. Final Fantasy Tactics - Antipyretic
12. Final Fantasy XII - Life and Death
13. Legend of Zelda Wind Waker - Dragon Roost Island
14. Super Mario Galaxy -Gusty Garden Galaxy
15. Streets of Rage 2
16. Skies of Arcadia - Kingdom of Ixa'taki
17. River City Ransom - A Tough Fight
18. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue - At the Relief

19. Persona 4
20. Etrian Odyssey 3 - Is that Thine Blood or The Enemy's
21. Super Mario Brothers 3

22. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time - Gerudo Valley
23. Suikoden 3 - Opening/Exceeding Love
24. Final Fantasy 9 - The Place I'll Return to Someday
25. Suikoden 5 - Move Out!

18/25 on the list.

Super Mario 3D World Sprawling Savanna - I am a little surprised I was the only vote for this game.

River City Ransom Tough Fight - This one made my list primarily on the effect the music had on me while I was playing the game. I have never been more shook than the first time I got the top floor of the school and Dragon Brothers started playing.

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
At the Relief - This started out as Silver Star, but I realized that I have great nostalgia for its vocal track, I actually like the music from the sequel more.

Etrian Odyssey 3 - I think its the best soundtrack in a series of great soundtracks.

Super Mario Bros 3 - I don't really have anything to say.

Suikoden 3
Suikoden 5 -
I love Suikoden music. If I had taken the time to listen to some music from 4 I would probably have made my list as well.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:37 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City "That's the Beginning of the Adventure"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Etrian Odyssey 3 - Is that Thine Blood or The Enemy's
I'm playing this right now (nearing the end of the bonus stratum), and for me the stand-out track by far was Cavern of Splendor, the music for the 3rd/lava stratum. I literally sat up and took notice when I first walked onto that floor, and I was sorry to hear it go when I set foot onto the next stratum.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:26 AM
Video Monster

Yeah, I probs should have voted for Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. It's so good.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:45 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
I'm playing this right now (nearing the end of the bonus stratum), and for me the stand-out track by far was Cavern of Splendor, the music for the 3rd/lava stratum. I literally sat up and took notice when I first walked onto that floor, and I was sorry to hear it go when I set foot onto the next stratum.
The end of Raging Waves is easily the most iconiclly awesome piece of EO3 music, but otherwise I agree. Stratum 3's exploration and battle music are the high point of the game.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:59 PM
Mad Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Yeah, I probs should have voted for Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. It's so good.
I almost included it on mine, but I already had Treasure of the Rudras repping Ryuji Sasai and didn't want to double up. In retrospect, I probably should have switched and voted more strategically.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Read Only Memories - 2Mello's score sings in a way the best soundtracks do: they linger in the periphery of your mind, echoing the contexts in which you experienced them, enriching themselves by accruing new layers upon those. I could try to deliberately disassociate to offer some profoundly "objective" academic estimation, as if such a thing existed to begin with or was desirable even if it did, but why bother? Music is emotion, and my emotions are tied up with the people and places represented by these songs. A contender for the most affecting credits theme of all time.
The song you chose as your favorite is really amazing. I loved it, even though it is so simple. I'm curious to try the game! I wonder if this is only classic science fiction novel/anime in videogame form, or more.

I've discovered so many songs in this thread! And i will continue to do so in the upcoming weeks! Thank you all!

I thought more people would vote for Rondo Of Blood. Nowadays whenever i play the game it is in order to hear the music. And the game might be the best action game of all time, so this is not light praise to its soundtrack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJF View Post

Dragon Quest VIII (Koichi Sugiyama)
– Strange World ~ Marching Through the Fields

My vote here is for the PS2 NA release of the game with its soaring orchestral score that the Japanese original and the 3DS remake regrettably both lack. It's SO GOOD. My top pick is “Strange World”, a hauntingly subdued piece reserved for wandering around in the overworld. It's got just enough intrigue wrapped up in its notes to really sell the sense of walking about in a...well, strange world! But I also really like the town themes “Chatting”, “Peaceful Town” and “Quiet Village”, which capture either the humdrum of a small village or the more energetic towns and cities superbly, as well as the primary battle theme “War Cry”, which has a nice edge to it that works well with the fighting.
I also love DQ8 soundtrack! But it is a huge game, and it deserved more than 2CD soundtrack. At the end of the day, it was a disappointment to me.

Last edited by kurumin; 10-13-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Love is OGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurumin View Post
The song you chose as your favorite is really amazing. I loved it, even though it is so simple. I'm curious to try the game! I wonder if this is only classic science fiction novel/anime in videogame form, or more.
My pithy endorsement of Read Only Memories would be something like "it's like Snatcher, except not reprehensible shit."
Old 10-14-2017, 12:48 AM

Alright, since this calmed down a little, I want to use this thread to talk a bit about SoundTeMP, because nobody else voted for any game they made the OST for (Ragnarok Online, Granado Espada, Tree of Savior) and I think they are one of the greatest composers of all time.

I voted Ragnarok Online on #9 and Tree of Savior on #12.

The Ragnarok Online OST is really great. There is a high variety of different tracks that starts of really calm and beautiful like for example Streamside and then slowly evolves into a more trance/techno-esque OST like for example my favorite track Angelica which plays when you get really high in Thanatos Tower, to the floors where every single monster can easily completely wipe out the party if just one person messes up timing. It really gets your adrenaline pumping and make you feel important.

In Granado Espada they keep up with that trance/techno style, but improve on its overall quality as can be heard in Violet, but I felt the variety was a bit lacking in this OST, that's why I didn't vote for it.

Finally, in Tree of Savior they perfected that style. Not only did they manage to keep making high quality trance/techno songs, but they also managed it to combine it with some kind of beauty that literally pushes tears into my eyes when I listen to these songs. My favorite track is Boy's Anthem which is one of the best instrumental tracks I've ever heard. So beautiful. This OST is only partially by SoundTeMP and I don't love all the tracks, that's why I didn't rate it higher, but the OST has many great tracks.

I you want to hear more, here's a good Best of Mix. For example 1:23+ is another moment that always fills my eyes with tears because it's so beautiful. This is a pretty awesome feeling.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:37 AM
who's she

What do I pay you people for
Old 10-14-2017, 01:58 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
What do I pay you people for
For what's worth, if I made the list today Einhander would probably make the list. I didn't play it much back then, but I remember listening to its soundtrack a lot in college. It just wasn't in my mind when I made the list.

The one game I totally forgot and kicked myself when the lists starting coming in was the Ninja Gaiden trilogy for NES. I don't know for which one I'd voted for, though... I think that outside the intro, II is the weakest OST of the three (I know, heresy) so I'd probably would have voted for I.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:51 AM
Cool Bunny

1. Gone Home - Heavens To Betsy: Calculated
2. Sonic 2 - boss theme
3. Her Story
4. Flashback - ending
5. Tetris - Music C
6. Animal Crossing - whichever one of KK Slider's songs it is I have on my computer

7. Cave Story
8. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
9. Bubble Bobble
10. Wonder Boy in Monster Land - shop theme
11. Rocket Knight Adventures - the music that plays during the first flying sequence
12. Phantasy Star - dungeon theme
13. Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap

14. Super Mario Bros.
15. Kirby's Dream Land
16. Psychic World

I mentioned in my Gone Home entry that game music isn’t really my thing, and my list probably proves it. My method was to think of stuff I knew I liked, then look over my backloggery and if I could hum something from memory (and liked it) I’d put it on. Quite a bit of master system, because I listened to the music more when I was a kid. Nice to see someone else voted for Sonic 2, whose boss theme is my favorite beeps and boops piece. I’ve realised since I forgot a few things, most notably Katamari and Street Fighter (probably would have been Alpha 2 though, since I’ve played it most). Biohazard Battle has been mentioned, I’m pretty sure I liked its music but I can’t remember any of it so I didn’t list it.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Outer Spacean

Ergh I'm still trying to type up all of the comments for my picks but it's going slow.

But I've forgotten to thank the hosts for too long now so a huge kudos to PB and Conchobhar for running a splendid Top 50! It was a lot of fun to see each entry go up.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:39 PM
Burnin' like a Noumander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Biohazard Battle (Sega Genesis) - I had no illusions that anyone else would vote for this (because I'm the only person who's played it, maybe), but it's some of the best music on the system, and ever.
That was actually one of the last things to be cut from my list. I figured I had enough unusual shmup soundtracks already...but that doesn't make it any less criminal, no matter how necessary. CRYING has a supreme soundtrack for a supreme game.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:43 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
Phantasy Star - dungeon theme
Old 10-16-2017, 08:02 AM
#deadfish2017

Hey conchobhar and Positronic, thanks for running this list. These things are so much work and I appreciate all the effort that you put into this one just to provide us, the lowly internet cruft, weeks of entertainment. Thank you.

Now, the obligatory listing of my list:

22/21 - The Neverhood/Skullmonkies

Mostly I went with one game per series, but I wanted some Taylor on the list and figured maybe voting for both would maybe might help.

Listen to Beep Bop Bo Shards and be happy for video games.

20 - VVVVVV

Guess Shovel Knight took the wind out of VVVVVV's sails, but when it first dropped everyone was all agog these chiptunes.

Listen to Pushing Onwards and get geared up to conquer the day.

19 - Mega Man Zero

Wily 2 is overrated and we know it. At least, it is overplayed. For my Mega Man entry I wanted to highlight another driving rock song that doesn't get enough attention.

Listen to Reborn Mechanics when you are on your way to fight a german robot bat.

18 - Gradius V

I figured that Tactics and FFXII would get plenty of love so I went with this for my Sakimoto choice.

Listen to Stage 2 & 8 when you team up with your past self to fight germs.

17 - Secret of Evermore

Guess this isn't strictly breaking the rules, as this strictly isn't a Mana game. I really like this OST. Very ahead of its time, or at least, unique for a SNES game.

Listen to Podunk, 1965 not because it's the best song, but because it embodies the game's tone as a whole.

16 - Bloodborne

Souls music tends to get pretty samey after a while so I'm not surprised none of them made the list, but these really are some incredible compositions.

Listen to The Last Hunter when you're feeling that potent regret.

15 - Botanicula

Botanicula is a charming point-in-click game that gets little love round here for reasons I've never been able to fathom. It's about 5 seeds who try to save a seed from a spider. The soundtrack was composed by Czechoslovakian band DVA.

Listen to Jucju to feel good about nature.

14 - Final Fantasy VIII

All FF OSTs are good, but VIII is the one I keep coming back to. For my money, it has the greatest scope and richest emotional tenor, and Eyes on Me is the best vocal track in any of the games (not a high bar to clear).

Listen to Ending Theme when you're eating hot dogs while your best friends kiss.

13 - SaGa Frontier 2

No one hardly mentions SaGa Frontier 2's music hardly ever, but gosh. GOSH. Easily the best of the SaGa soundtracks and that includes FFLIII jbear.

Listen to Feldschlacht IV to know the true meaning of leitmotif.

12 - Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

So, so glad this one sneaked its way onto the list.

Listen to Grassland Groove to know pure joy.

11 - Crustal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers

This underappreciated soundtrack has wide breadth, going for any number of genres and styles, but the one it settles on for its defining theme is ragtime.

Listen to Crystal Bearers Ramble for a taste.

10 - Breath of Fire IV

BoF 3's OST is right and good, true, but for me, as with all things BoF, IV edges it out.

Listen to Truth and Dreams for surprising emotional honesty.

9 - Order of Ecclesia

SoTN didn't need my help, so I figured I'd champion OoE yet again.

Listen to An Empty Tomb for DS music that shouldn't be this good.

8 - Legend of Mana

I shed a single tear when this made the list, even at last place.

Listen to Moonlit City Roa again why not?

7 - Shovel Knight

It was hard to pick my favorite SK song. I went with Plague's theme because the descending and rising scales are super catchy.

Listen to Flowers of Antimony for super catchy descending and rising scales.

6 - Mother 3

I broke my rule again. I thought this game had a shot! But I guess not enough people played it?

Listen to Even Drier Guys for a song that's impossible to get the beat on (also that piano. Chefkiss).

5 - Chrono Triger

Yes, yes. Even knowing it would be #1 I still voted for it.

Listen to To Far Away Times because I'm not crying you're crying.

4 - NieR

This one surprised us all at the time. What a bold OST. A true modern classic.

Listen to Ashes of Dreams for one heck of a gut punch.

3 - Undertale

Speaking of modern classics.

Listen to Bergentrückung/ASGORE for yet another excellent boss theme.

2 - Suikoden

I debated for a long time between Suiko 1 and 2. And while I feel 2's music is stronger within the context of the story and characters, 1's is stronger all around. That world music man, I tell ya.

Listen to Peaceful People for the true expression of serenity.

1 - Earthbound

I voted Earthbound #1 because I'm dumb and a slave to my nostalgia.

Listen to Your Name Please because it's has Itoi saying "okay got it." And that's more special than I can say.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:28 AM
Video Monster

Man, Loki, one of my favorite CD mixes I ever burned was just the soundtracks of Gradius III and V alternating back and forth.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:31 AM
#deadfish2017

I can't think of a better use for a CD.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:49 AM
-ryn

thank you to PB and Conch for running the list.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:04 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
14 - Final Fantasy VIII

All FF OSTs are good, but VIII is the one I keep coming back to. For my money, it has the greatest scope and richest emotional tenor, and Eyes on Me is the best vocal track in any of the games (not a high bar to clear).

Listen to Ending Theme when you're eating hot dogs while your best friends kiss.
But what should I listen to when I'm kissing someone while my best friend eats hot dogs?

And I prefer 'Suteki Da Ne' to 'Eyes On Me', though I suspect it has a great deal to do with the fact that I don't understand the lyrics in the former.

Quote:
13 - SaGa Frontier 2

No one hardly mentions SaGa Frontier 2's music hardly ever, but gosh. GOSH. Easily the best of the SaGa soundtracks and that includes FFLIII jbear.

Listen to Feldschlacht IV to know the true meaning of leitmotif.
I almost placed this in my list, but in the end I went with a more safe choice. This is a great soundtrack, though... The piano in these tracks is amazing, and it has good battle tracks.

Tags
atlus/jrpg dick riding , democracy was a mistake , erauqs si dlrow eht , hip to be a square wave , pronounced "eece" , top 50 countdown , treble with anticipation