The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-14-2017, 07:23 AM
Tell me about your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkpen View Post
Looks like someone has a case of the wubba lubba dub dubs as Rick Sanchez likes to say
Old 10-14-2017, 11:00 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

That's the waaaaay the news goes
Old 10-14-2017, 11:05 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Graaaass tastes bad
Old 10-14-2017, 11:13 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

btw when you just post a gif response of someone laughing, or someone just sort of looking despairing, what that's essentially saying is "i'm better than all of you" unless you elucidate
Old 10-14-2017, 11:19 AM
Banned

Pfffffft. I think some people need to take a page from the Bible of Rick and Morty. I have some doubts that SA popularized America's current usage of "cuck," but even if it did, this is still the website that got that great "harshin' the tards" line put in Persona 3, right? Have some forum pride! Don't descend into a self-sterilizing spiral of ultra-policital-correctness.

AIDS!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:28 AM
beech i told u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomarchus View Post
Pfffffft. I think some people need to take a page from the Bible of Rick and Morty. I have some doubts that SA popularized America's current usage of "cuck," but even if it did, this is still the website that got that great "harshin' the tards" line put in Persona 3, right? Have some forum pride! Don't descend into a self-sterilizing spiral of ultra-policital-correctness.

AIDS!
Respecting others isn't "Political Correctness" of any stripe.

The forum has undergone several changes since its inception. We've devalued "rape jokes", decided homo and transphobia aren't welcome here, value feminist opinions, and decided that listening to minority voices are an integral part of this forum.

This includes those who are neurodivergent.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Highway To HFIL

When did the meaning of the phrase "political correctness" become "expecting people to know at least a modicum of what the fuck they're talking about"?
Old 10-14-2017, 12:04 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

/waves autistic hand

"Autist" is used so often as an insult that it has a nasty taste

"Person with autism" is really condescending and favored by autism moms who treat their kids like invalids and also tastes bad because of it

(Edit to be more specific: the idea that autism is a disease that can be cured, rather than an aspect of how someone is, drives a lot of mistreatment of autistic people; on the severe end, this looks like parents administering bleach enemas and other horrific fatal shit in attempts to "cure" their child of this awful scourge, and on the banal but irritating end, it looks like people talking about how their kid is "in there somewhere" and pining for the normal person the autism is smothering, while ignoring the needs and wants and communication and agency of the autistic person that is right there in front of them.)

"Autistic person/people" is the most widely preferred term in every circle I've put a toe in

And @Zef, to hit the original question: autism is as wide a spectrum as neurotypicality (or wider, i guess, since that's the whole point of the term), so I can't say this with total certainty, but for all that autism helps you say jackassy things without thinking about it, I'm pretty sure nothing about it prevents you from apologizing once someone tells you you are being a jackass.

That's just good old-fashioned entitlement, self-absorption, insecurity, etc.

Last edited by hologramblue; 10-14-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:55 AM
Mistress Greywolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hologramblue View Post
/waves autistic hand

"Autist" is used so often as an insult that it has a nasty taste

"Person with autism" is really condescending and favored by autism moms who treat their kids like invalids and also tastes bad because of it

(Edit to be more specific: the idea that autism is a disease that can be cured, rather than an aspect of how someone is, drives a lot of mistreatment of autistic people; on the severe end, this looks like parents administering bleach enemas and other horrific fatal shit in attempts to "cure" their child of this awful scourge, and on the banal but irritating end, it looks like people talking about how their kid is "in there somewhere" and pining for the normal person the autism is smothering, while ignoring the needs and wants and communication and agency of the autistic person that is right there in front of them.)

"Autistic person/people" is the most widely preferred term in every circle I've put a toe in

And @Zef, to hit the original question: autism is as wide a spectrum as neurotypicality (or wider, i guess, since that's the whole point of the term), so I can't say this with total certainty, but for all that autism helps you say jackassy things without thinking about it, I'm pretty sure nothing about it prevents you from apologizing once someone tells you you are being a jackass.

That's just good old-fashioned entitlement, self-absorption, insecurity, etc.
As somebody on the autism spectrum I’m just gonna pop in to say I pretty much agree with all of this.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:54 PM
King Of Space-Time

Some of y'all are NUTS.

Via Thrillist

SOMEONE JUST TRADED HIS CAR FOR 1 PACKET OF MCDONALD'S SZECHUAN SAUCE

Quote:
Apparently, the guy (who requests to remain anonymous) has another car, so unloading the Volkswagen wasn't a wholly irresponsible move. But still, according to Kelly Blue Book, a model from that era in good condition is worth anywhere between $2,000 to $3,000, or nearly 1,000 times more than what Marie paid for an order of Buttermilk Chicken Tenders at the Golden Arches to get the Szechuan Sauce.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:59 PM
Mystery Contraption

I really, really hope that sauce is tasty.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:59 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Szechuan Millionaire
Old 10-15-2017, 09:53 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
When did the meaning of the phrase "political correctness" become "expecting people to know at least a modicum of what the fuck they're talking about"?
I don't know either, but I have found that the moment someone reaches for political correctness as part of their argument or joke, that's when I know it's safe to ignore them.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:55 PM
the :motion: stands

Some people are worth engaging with.

Other people flame out in spectacular fashion over non-sociable things and then for some reason come back and do it all over again.

All I'm saying is that Rick Sanchez is an asshole and not a role model, although he does have some interesting ideas about how someone may choose to live their life and the reasons they may do so.
Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM
Banned

OK, let's try this again. Blow it out your ass. I've decided to take the advice from someone in a place I trust, and, “stop listening to retards who get real mad that people are labeled and quantified and then get outraged at the words that describe things.”

I feel like Okonkwo at the end of Things Fall Apart. (That's not spoilers, is it?) If there has not been a rally to the banner of tard-harshin' to reinstate or defend the old ways, the Umuofia of this forum is dead. Don't worry; I'm not going to kill myself over this. As one of the true heirs to this forum's legacy, I doubt there will be many of us who keep the old ways sticking around, but to any who are out there I have this to say: stay frosty, keep harshin' those tards, and if you wrest back control then I may someday return. Till then, I stand by what I said and don't care what “powerful groups that feel like they're doing the right thing” try to dictate about it.

I said ultra-political correctness, not all political correctness. A little political correctness is OK, within reason. It's how we got the N-word reduced in public circulation by whites in America. Still, take that too far, as some Nervous Nellies here want to, and you'll end up so hamstrung by this priggishness about language you'll be unable to appreciate anything like Fuck Aneta Briant.

But nevertheless, I can admit when I was wrong about something. I used to think I should be more PC because it is associated with leftism and I'm pretty left for an American. I see now that political correctness is a cancer infesting leftism that must be irradiated out of it if it stands a chance of being taken seriously again. That which has corrupted Talking Time is partly responsible for the election of Trump. So here we are, on this forum, living in the episode of Dinosaurs where the dinos on TV debate the weighty topic of flowers by saying, “well, I like 'em,” and, “I like 'em too.” You can turn—or have turned—Talking Time into a walled garden of crippled language, but if you peep your heads up out to see what what people think of this outside your garden you'll find something disconcerting: “you're outnumbered.”

I had never heard anything about trying to ban rape jokes. That is some bulsheeeet, if true. Not all rape jokes are good or all right, of course. But if you don't think you can ever joke about rape, you need more knowledge of or respect for George Carlin. Rape jokes are reinstated, effective immediately, starting with this gem from the master: “picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd.”

In conclusion,
https://i.imgur.com/1JpHLa5.gif

Last edited by Gaer; Yesterday at 08:37 PM. Reason: edited so the gif isn't automatically loaded ~Gaer
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
Fifth Business

Were you always this lame and "edgy", and it just never came up before, or is this a new development for you? If so, ditch whatever 'cool new friends' you think you made, because they fucking suuuuuuck.

Also, for all your talk about THINK FOR YOURSELF, SHEEPLE, literally every single point you tried and failed to make was just you invoking or quoting or referencing somebody else.
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
Remembers Love

When dying on that hill once just isn't enough.
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
Were you always this lame and "edgy", and it just never came up before, or is this a new development for you?
C) It's come up before
Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
Highway To HFIL

Quote:
Don't worry; I'm not going to kill myself over this.
tragic
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
Mystery Contraption

Marvellous.

Toodle-loo, then.
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
contains words & diagrams

I knew this was going to pay off eventually!
Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
beech i told u

Onomarchus clearly has little regard for the other members of this forum. He has been placed in the Penalty Box again pending further review from the rest of the moderation staff.
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Good riddance. Maybe purge that fucking GIF, at least?
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
beech i told u

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Good riddance. Maybe purge that fucking GIF, at least?
Done, now I think it's time to move on. We'll take it from here.
Old Today, 03:57 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
I am shocked by reports of stupid nerds driving hundreds of miles to try and get the Prune-based McNugget sauce because that means they actually CHOSE to go to a McDonalds.

Which is just bonkers.

Nobody CHOOSES to go to a McDonalds. McDonalds is simply the place you go to when you're hungry and there's a Giant Yellow M in your immediate line of sight. An act of pure instinct. Ah, a McDonalds. I will eat here so that my body will be nourished and continue to be alive so that I might later eat frood that is not McDonalds.

And you're telling me that people in their homes actually said to themselves, I will now travel to a McDonalds that is NOT currently in my line of sight, possibly travling great distance and going past many places that provide better food in the process?

My entire worldview has been shattered.
McDonald's is comfort food for me, so I choose to go there often enough.

But then, fast food is sort of one of my things, so there is that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I really, really hope that sauce is tasty.
I remember liking it during its original run with Mulan, and I'm happy they brought it back based on that.

Not so good that I'd consider doing anything like these clownshoes we've been reading about, but enough that I'm a little regretful McDonald's Canada isn't taking part this winter.

If it were the Arch Deluxe they did this with, I'd be far more upset.
Old Today, 04:31 PM
Is there not one thing

I'm struggling to think of what old school posters he could be talking about. gNam and CMAP?

Even when we were deeply invested in shitting on each other there was a bunch of shit considered too outré to post
Old Today, 05:12 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I cannot conceive how "hey I'm part of this group you're talking about and I don't like when you refer to me with this word" turns into this:

Quote:
I see now that political correctness is a cancer infesting leftism that must be irradiated out of it if it stands a chance of being taken seriously again.
Old Today, 05:26 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I cannot conceive how "hey I'm part of this group you're talking about and I don't like when you refer to me with this word" turns into this:
Basically, "I don't like it when people try to educate me/curb the way I speak, even if I'm knowingly hurting the people I'm speaking to, I've been speaking like this for years so why should I change? They're the ones who want to change me so that means they're the villains, and I'm going to snap back at them twice as hard."

Empathy and even the most basic politeness are lost on them.
Old Today, 06:29 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I'm struggling to think of what old school posters he could be talking about. gNam and CMAP?

Even when we were deeply invested in shitting on each other there was a bunch of shit considered too outré to post
I think it's less specific people and more just this misguided idea:

"We used to say 'tards, but now we don't. Therefore, all the old people who don't post now obviously left for that reason, because that's what I'm personally mad about."
Old Today, 06:36 PM
Find Your Reason

Ironically, many of the "old guard" left because they weren't comfortable with the forum's toxicity or because they had to protect themselves from outside threats.

While I'm sure there are some who joined in 2007, and then left because TT became less tolerant of toxic behavior, I'm also sure the forum is healthier because of their absence.

(Speaking of which, Return was founded in June 2, 2007, and we did nothing to commemorate it this year! Eep.)

Tags
ball fondlers , doc and marty , grass tastes bad , my time here is ogre , nevernude , turbulent juice , two brothers