The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #481  
Old 10-14-2017, 07:23 AM
Doctor Nerd's Avatar
Doctor Nerd Doctor Nerd is online now
Tell me about your mother
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkpen View Post
Looks like someone has a case of the wubba lubba dub dubs as Rick Sanchez likes to say
Reply With Quote
  #482  
Old 10-14-2017, 11:00 AM
madhair60's Avatar
madhair60 madhair60 is offline
I like Sonic the Hedgehog
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 14,505
Default

That's the waaaaay the news goes
Reply With Quote
  #483  
Old 10-14-2017, 11:05 AM
Sprite's Avatar
Sprite Sprite is offline
Crazy Old Bird
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 18,169
Default

Graaaass tastes bad
Reply With Quote
  #484  
Old 10-14-2017, 11:13 AM
madhair60's Avatar
madhair60 madhair60 is offline
I like Sonic the Hedgehog
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 14,505
Default

btw when you just post a gif response of someone laughing, or someone just sort of looking despairing, what that's essentially saying is "i'm better than all of you" unless you elucidate
Reply With Quote
  #485  
Old 10-14-2017, 11:19 AM
Onomarchus Onomarchus is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,507
Default

Pfffffft. I think some people need to take a page from the Bible of Rick and Morty. I have some doubts that SA popularized America's current usage of "cuck," but even if it did, this is still the website that got that great "harshin' the tards" line put in Persona 3, right? Have some forum pride! Don't descend into a self-sterilizing spiral of ultra-policital-correctness.

AIDS!
Reply With Quote
  #486  
Old 10-14-2017, 11:28 AM
Gaer's Avatar
Gaer Gaer is offline
beech i told u
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomarchus View Post
Pfffffft. I think some people need to take a page from the Bible of Rick and Morty. I have some doubts that SA popularized America's current usage of "cuck," but even if it did, this is still the website that got that great "harshin' the tards" line put in Persona 3, right? Have some forum pride! Don't descend into a self-sterilizing spiral of ultra-policital-correctness.

AIDS!
Respecting others isn't "Political Correctness" of any stripe.

The forum has undergone several changes since its inception. We've devalued "rape jokes", decided homo and transphobia aren't welcome here, value feminist opinions, and decided that listening to minority voices are an integral part of this forum.

This includes those who are neurodivergent.
Reply With Quote
  #487  
Old 10-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Bleck's Avatar
Bleck Bleck is offline
Highway To HFIL
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,472
Default

When did the meaning of the phrase "political correctness" become "expecting people to know at least a modicum of what the fuck they're talking about"?
Reply With Quote
  #488  
Old 10-14-2017, 12:04 PM
hologramblue's Avatar
hologramblue hologramblue is offline
meowgician (chateleur)
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,672
Default

/waves autistic hand

"Autist" is used so often as an insult that it has a nasty taste

"Person with autism" is really condescending and favored by autism moms who treat their kids like invalids and also tastes bad because of it

(Edit to be more specific: the idea that autism is a disease that can be cured, rather than an aspect of how someone is, drives a lot of mistreatment of autistic people; on the severe end, this looks like parents administering bleach enemas and other horrific fatal shit in attempts to "cure" their child of this awful scourge, and on the banal but irritating end, it looks like people talking about how their kid is "in there somewhere" and pining for the normal person the autism is smothering, while ignoring the needs and wants and communication and agency of the autistic person that is right there in front of them.)

"Autistic person/people" is the most widely preferred term in every circle I've put a toe in

And @Zef, to hit the original question: autism is as wide a spectrum as neurotypicality (or wider, i guess, since that's the whole point of the term), so I can't say this with total certainty, but for all that autism helps you say jackassy things without thinking about it, I'm pretty sure nothing about it prevents you from apologizing once someone tells you you are being a jackass.

That's just good old-fashioned entitlement, self-absorption, insecurity, etc.

Last edited by hologramblue; 10-14-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #489  
Old 10-15-2017, 04:55 AM
Juno's Avatar
Juno Juno is online now
Mistress Greywolfe
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nowhere, WA
Posts: 4,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hologramblue View Post
/waves autistic hand

"Autist" is used so often as an insult that it has a nasty taste

"Person with autism" is really condescending and favored by autism moms who treat their kids like invalids and also tastes bad because of it

(Edit to be more specific: the idea that autism is a disease that can be cured, rather than an aspect of how someone is, drives a lot of mistreatment of autistic people; on the severe end, this looks like parents administering bleach enemas and other horrific fatal shit in attempts to "cure" their child of this awful scourge, and on the banal but irritating end, it looks like people talking about how their kid is "in there somewhere" and pining for the normal person the autism is smothering, while ignoring the needs and wants and communication and agency of the autistic person that is right there in front of them.)

"Autistic person/people" is the most widely preferred term in every circle I've put a toe in

And @Zef, to hit the original question: autism is as wide a spectrum as neurotypicality (or wider, i guess, since that's the whole point of the term), so I can't say this with total certainty, but for all that autism helps you say jackassy things without thinking about it, I'm pretty sure nothing about it prevents you from apologizing once someone tells you you are being a jackass.

That's just good old-fashioned entitlement, self-absorption, insecurity, etc.
As somebody on the autism spectrum I’m just gonna pop in to say I pretty much agree with all of this.
Reply With Quote
  #490  
Old 10-15-2017, 02:54 PM
Daikaiju's Avatar
Daikaiju Daikaiju is online now
King Of Space-Time
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 15,967
Default

Some of y'all are NUTS.

Via Thrillist

SOMEONE JUST TRADED HIS CAR FOR 1 PACKET OF MCDONALD'S SZECHUAN SAUCE

Quote:
Apparently, the guy (who requests to remain anonymous) has another car, so unloading the Volkswagen wasn't a wholly irresponsible move. But still, according to Kelly Blue Book, a model from that era in good condition is worth anywhere between $2,000 to $3,000, or nearly 1,000 times more than what Marie paid for an order of Buttermilk Chicken Tenders at the Golden Arches to get the Szechuan Sauce.
Reply With Quote
  #491  
Old 10-15-2017, 02:59 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is offline
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 42,235
Default

I really, really hope that sauce is tasty.
Reply With Quote
  #492  
Old 10-15-2017, 04:59 PM
conchobhar's Avatar
conchobhar conchobhar is offline
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Snowy climes of Canada
Posts: 2,482
Default

Szechuan Millionaire
Reply With Quote
  #493  
Old 10-15-2017, 09:53 PM
Dracula's Avatar
Dracula Dracula is offline
Video Monster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: If you go in the direction of the arrow.
Posts: 2,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
When did the meaning of the phrase "political correctness" become "expecting people to know at least a modicum of what the fuck they're talking about"?
I don't know either, but I have found that the moment someone reaches for political correctness as part of their argument or joke, that's when I know it's safe to ignore them.
Reply With Quote
  #494  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Adam's Avatar
Adam Adam is offline
the :motion: stands
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 7,454
Default

Some people are worth engaging with.

Other people flame out in spectacular fashion over non-sociable things and then for some reason come back and do it all over again.

All I'm saying is that Rick Sanchez is an asshole and not a role model, although he does have some interesting ideas about how someone may choose to live their life and the reasons they may do so.
Reply With Quote
  #495  
Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM
Onomarchus Onomarchus is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,507
Default

OK, let's try this again. Blow it out your ass. I've decided to take the advice from someone in a place I trust, and, “stop listening to retards who get real mad that people are labeled and quantified and then get outraged at the words that describe things.”

I feel like Okonkwo at the end of Things Fall Apart. (That's not spoilers, is it?) If there has not been a rally to the banner of tard-harshin' to reinstate or defend the old ways, the Umuofia of this forum is dead. Don't worry; I'm not going to kill myself over this. As one of the true heirs to this forum's legacy, I doubt there will be many of us who keep the old ways sticking around, but to any who are out there I have this to say: stay frosty, keep harshin' those tards, and if you wrest back control then I may someday return. Till then, I stand by what I said and don't care what “powerful groups that feel like they're doing the right thing” try to dictate about it.

I said ultra-political correctness, not all political correctness. A little political correctness is OK, within reason. It's how we got the N-word reduced in public circulation by whites in America. Still, take that too far, as some Nervous Nellies here want to, and you'll end up so hamstrung by this priggishness about language you'll be unable to appreciate anything like Fuck Aneta Briant.

But nevertheless, I can admit when I was wrong about something. I used to think I should be more PC because it is associated with leftism and I'm pretty left for an American. I see now that political correctness is a cancer infesting leftism that must be irradiated out of it if it stands a chance of being taken seriously again. That which has corrupted Talking Time is partly responsible for the election of Trump. So here we are, on this forum, living in the episode of Dinosaurs where the dinos on TV debate the weighty topic of flowers by saying, “well, I like 'em,” and, “I like 'em too.” You can turn—or have turned—Talking Time into a walled garden of crippled language, but if you peep your heads up out to see what what people think of this outside your garden you'll find something disconcerting: “you're outnumbered.”

I had never heard anything about trying to ban rape jokes. That is some bulsheeeet, if true. Not all rape jokes are good or all right, of course. But if you don't think you can ever joke about rape, you need more knowledge of or respect for George Carlin. Rape jokes are reinstated, effective immediately, starting with this gem from the master: “picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd.”

In conclusion,
https://i.imgur.com/1JpHLa5.gif

Last edited by Gaer; Yesterday at 08:37 PM. Reason: edited so the gif isn't automatically loaded ~Gaer
Reply With Quote
  #496  
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
Deptford's Avatar
Deptford Deptford is offline
Fifth Business
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,647
Default

Were you always this lame and "edgy", and it just never came up before, or is this a new development for you? If so, ditch whatever 'cool new friends' you think you made, because they fucking suuuuuuck.

Also, for all your talk about THINK FOR YOURSELF, SHEEPLE, literally every single point you tried and failed to make was just you invoking or quoting or referencing somebody else.
Reply With Quote
  #497  
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
Peach's Avatar
Peach Peach is offline
Remembers Love
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fargo and Gamoorhead
Posts: 3,087
Default

When dying on that hill once just isn't enough.
Reply With Quote
  #498  
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
krelbel's Avatar
krelbel krelbel is offline
Good Bee
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
Were you always this lame and "edgy", and it just never came up before, or is this a new development for you?
C) It's come up before
Reply With Quote
  #499  
Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
Bleck's Avatar
Bleck Bleck is offline
Highway To HFIL
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomarchus View Post
Don't worry; I'm not going to kill myself over this.
tragic
Reply With Quote
  #500  
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is offline
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 42,235
Default

Marvellous.

Toodle-loo, then.
Reply With Quote
  #501  
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
Serephine's Avatar
Serephine Serephine is online now
contains words & diagrams
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 10,055
Default

I knew this was going to pay off eventually!
Reply With Quote
  #502  
Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
Gaer's Avatar
Gaer Gaer is offline
beech i told u
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,099
Default

Onomarchus clearly has little regard for the other members of this forum. He has been placed in the Penalty Box again pending further review from the rest of the moderation staff.
Reply With Quote
  #503  
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM
JBear's Avatar
JBear JBear is online now
Bertolli?!?...
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada
Posts: 9,734
Default

Good riddance. Maybe purge that fucking GIF, at least?
Reply With Quote
  #504  
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
Gaer's Avatar
Gaer Gaer is offline
beech i told u
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Good riddance. Maybe purge that fucking GIF, at least?
Done, now I think it's time to move on. We'll take it from here.
Reply With Quote
  #505  
Old Today, 03:57 AM
LBD_Nytetrayn's Avatar
LBD_Nytetrayn LBD_Nytetrayn is online now
..and his little cat, too
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 8,508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
I am shocked by reports of stupid nerds driving hundreds of miles to try and get the Prune-based McNugget sauce because that means they actually CHOSE to go to a McDonalds.

Which is just bonkers.

Nobody CHOOSES to go to a McDonalds. McDonalds is simply the place you go to when you're hungry and there's a Giant Yellow M in your immediate line of sight. An act of pure instinct. Ah, a McDonalds. I will eat here so that my body will be nourished and continue to be alive so that I might later eat frood that is not McDonalds.

And you're telling me that people in their homes actually said to themselves, I will now travel to a McDonalds that is NOT currently in my line of sight, possibly travling great distance and going past many places that provide better food in the process?

My entire worldview has been shattered.
McDonald's is comfort food for me, so I choose to go there often enough.

But then, fast food is sort of one of my things, so there is that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I really, really hope that sauce is tasty.
I remember liking it during its original run with Mulan, and I'm happy they brought it back based on that.

Not so good that I'd consider doing anything like these clownshoes we've been reading about, but enough that I'm a little regretful McDonald's Canada isn't taking part this winter.

If it were the Arch Deluxe they did this with, I'd be far more upset.
Reply With Quote
  #506  
Old Today, 04:31 PM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is offline
Is there not one thing
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 21,566
Default

I'm struggling to think of what old school posters he could be talking about. gNam and CMAP?

Even when we were deeply invested in shitting on each other there was a bunch of shit considered too outré to post
Reply With Quote
  #507  
Old Today, 05:12 PM
YangusKhan's Avatar
YangusKhan YangusKhan is online now
does the Underpants Dance
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,651
Default

I cannot conceive how "hey I'm part of this group you're talking about and I don't like when you refer to me with this word" turns into this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomarchus View Post
I see now that political correctness is a cancer infesting leftism that must be irradiated out of it if it stands a chance of being taken seriously again.
Reply With Quote
  #508  
Old Today, 05:26 PM
Zef's Avatar
Zef Zef is online now
Find Your Reason
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Vortex World
Posts: 27,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I cannot conceive how "hey I'm part of this group you're talking about and I don't like when you refer to me with this word" turns into this:
Basically, "I don't like it when people try to educate me/curb the way I speak, even if I'm knowingly hurting the people I'm speaking to, I've been speaking like this for years so why should I change? They're the ones who want to change me so that means they're the villains, and I'm going to snap back at them twice as hard."

Empathy and even the most basic politeness are lost on them.
Reply With Quote
  #509  
Old Today, 06:29 PM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is offline
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I'm struggling to think of what old school posters he could be talking about. gNam and CMAP?

Even when we were deeply invested in shitting on each other there was a bunch of shit considered too outré to post
I think it's less specific people and more just this misguided idea:

"We used to say 'tards, but now we don't. Therefore, all the old people who don't post now obviously left for that reason, because that's what I'm personally mad about."
Reply With Quote
  #510  
Old Today, 06:36 PM
Zef's Avatar
Zef Zef is online now
Find Your Reason
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Vortex World
Posts: 27,847
Default

Ironically, many of the "old guard" left because they weren't comfortable with the forum's toxicity or because they had to protect themselves from outside threats.

While I'm sure there are some who joined in 2007, and then left because TT became less tolerant of toxic behavior, I'm also sure the forum is healthier because of their absence.

(Speaking of which, Return was founded in June 2, 2007, and we did nothing to commemorate it this year! Eep.)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ball fondlers , doc and marty , grass tastes bad , my time here is ogre , nevernude , turbulent juice , two brothers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts ©you, 2007