The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 10-16-2017, 09:07 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
But what should I listen to when I'm kissing someone while my best friend eats hot dogs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fQwJdXFQlU
Old 10-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
And I prefer 'Suteki Da Ne' to 'Eyes On Me', though I suspect it has a great deal to do with the fact that I don't understand the lyrics in the former.
The first word in the title is "suteki", therefore, she's singing about steak. Isn't it wonderful? It definitely puts a new spin on how she sees Tidus.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Video Monster

All according to suteki
Old 10-16-2017, 10:24 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
18 - Gradius V

I figured that Tactics and FFXII would get plenty of love so I went with this for my Sakimoto choice.

Listen to Stage 2 & 8 when you team up with your past self to fight germs.
Ooh, this is good stuff. I didn't know Sakimoto worked on these. It's like someone fed Valkyria Chronicles through the techno grinder. Nice.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:23 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Listen to Crystal Bearers Ramble for a taste.
This might be my favourite piece in this entire thread. Certainly my favourite among stuff that I didn't vote for.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:34 AM

I voted SaGaFrontier 2 on #4. Originally I didn't actually like it so much because it's incredibly repetitive (the OST is one of the longest ever with 4+ hours, but it has a very strong reuse of melodies), but when I'm programming and need relaxing music to listen to, this ended up being my favorite to listen to.

I still think SaGaFrontier 1 has the best OST, because the versatility is just so much bigger and the music just fits to what's happening on screen perfectly. And I voted Unlimited Saga on #2, because it's as great as SGF2's except it has a bit more variety and the final boss theme is just so incredible.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:52 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
This might be my favourite piece in this entire thread. Certainly my favourite among stuff that I didn't vote for.
I'll take this opportunity to recommend you, hell everybody, give Crystal Bearers a try if you have a Wii or WiiU handy. It is not just the soundtrack, which I am kicking myself for forgetting while making my list, that is unappreciated.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
11 - Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers

This underappreciated soundtrack has wide breadth, going for any number of genres and styles, but the one it settles on for its defining theme is ragtime.

Listen to Crystal Bearers Ramble for a taste.
This is really an excellent soundtrack. So many great tracks from so many different genres. Playing the game was a treat simply to hear this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
The first word in the title is "suteki", therefore, she's singing about steak. Isn't it wonderful? It definitely puts a new spin on how she sees Tidus.
Steak Da Ne should be a bigger thing.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Cool Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
When I saw that one other person had voted for it I knew who it was.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Okay, finally getting around to this:

Hotline Miami blends modern and 80s sensibilities through its aesthetics, and that includes the music. Others have posted tracks from the storyline stuff, but for me it's the driving beats of the level music that gets me. You start off with Paris 2, which manages to get your blood pumping right off the bat. Then you encounter Crystals, which has a more electro-funk sound to it, and is the first track to induce a trance-like state that matches the flow of the game. Hotline continues the funk influences, alternating to-tapping rhythm with 80s synth. My favorite track, Hydrogen, plays in the "boss" stages, and the increased tempo lets you know things are getting more serious. The beat, the hand claps, the crazy electronica all come together for me. Two other great tracks are final boss theme Turf Main and Epilogue stage theme Musik 2 are also pretty fantastic.

Life is Strange Has some great original music, like the peaceful Menu Theme, but it is the licensed tracks that really add to it. Opening Credits track To All of You, episode 2 ender Mount Washington, party track Got Well Soon, and Mountains, which plays in one the most impactful scenes in the game. and then, of course, there is the piece de resistance: Obstacles, which will have more or less emotional resonance depending on a certain choice. I'm not a big indie music fan, but the soundtrack selection for LiS was so perfect I learned to like some indie stuff.

Dark Souls may be considered samey bombast to some, but to me the compositions all stand out, and they do the job of making the battles seem truly epic, whether it's Bell Gargoyles, Chaos Witch Quelaag, or my personal fave: Ornstein and Smough. It also has a lot of great softer themes: Souls of Fire, Dark Sun Gwyndolin, Firelink Shrine, and the haunting Nameless Song.

Arcana has a very distinct sound, so much so that certain parts of tracks from other songs give me an "Arcana" vibe. heck, the opening of FFXII's final boss theme reminds me of the opening of the End Credits of Arcana. So much of the music is gorgeous, like Our Story's Name and Silent Forest of Doubt. But there's also some great higher energy stuff, like the ominous Dark Castle Bintel, the heroic final battle theme Second Armageddon, and my favorite: the driving boss theme Decisive Battle.

Castle Crashers has such a wonderful variety of tunes. It starts with the epic medieval sound of Mudholes, then to my favorite, the bouncy, infectious Jumper, and then the mysterious yet rockin' Space Pirates. Two other favorite stage themes are the desert stage's (Please) Don't and ice stage's Winterbliss (the best part is about 1:20 in). And of course, one of the great boss tracks: The Show.

Bioshock, like Life is Strange, is one I picked more for the licensed stuff than the original compositions. Battling genetic freaks to jazzy tunes like Liza, You're the Top, and Bei Mir Bist Du Schön is a big part of the game's atmosphere. But my favorite moment in the entire game is the dizzying dissonance of a screaming Sandor Cohen, insane splicers and your own machine gun fire set against the strains of Waltz of the Flowers.

I tried to limit myself to only a few Final Fantasy games, and with the 16 and 32 bite eras already represented, I reached back to the 8 bit era, and thining about it Final Fantasy III really does have one of the best soundtracks in the series. The pulse-pounding Battle 2, the impish, foreboding Jinn, the Fire, the mournful Elia, Maiden of Water, the militaristic march of Salonia Kingdom, and two of the greatest overworld themes ever: Eternal Wind and The Boundless Ocean. FF 3's soundtrack pushed the system to its limits and became something truly special.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:02 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
... and two of the greatest overworld themes ever: Eternal Wind and The Boundless Ocean. FF 3's soundtrack pushed the system to its limits and became something truly special.
Yeah, I've always loved these although I have almost zero experience with Final Fantasy 3. I have the DS version but could never get into it. Back in the day when I grabbed the Famicom ROM, there was no English patch, so I just kinda shrugged and went about my way. I'm not a person that's going to muddle through a Japanese language game.

I should revisit FF3 one day.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:27 PM
Outer Spacean

Splatoon (Toru Minegishi, Shiho Fujii) – Maritime Melody

I feel this soundtrack is related in spirit to Sega's Jet Set Radio, but done entirely with original music. The game's “freshness” is hugely defined by its musical score, with nearly every single theme dripping with style and flavor. And the game has some fun flexing its genres (especially once some additional tracks were added in as DLC), mixing and matching rock, hip-hop, swing, J-Pop, R'n'B, and others to create a fascinating hybrid of music that syncs up with the game's interest in fashion and hipness. For me, the Squid Sisters are the pinnacle of the “artists” represented here, with their “Maritime Melody” standing quite tall among ending themes for me. I also enjoy just about everything else they're attached to. The multiplayer themes are all excellent, but the two tunes from Chirpy Chips (“Split and Splat” and “Shellfie”) are standouts. Overall, off the hook.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (Shoji Meguro) – Heartbreak, Heartbeat

I adore the J-Pop inspired score to this game. I think it works with the whole mystery-solving teens angle.

Secret of Mana (Hiroki Kikuta) – Into the Thick of It

“Into the Thick of It” may be the second song in a game I truly fell in love with. And the rest of it is exceptional too!

Mega Man 3 (Yasuaki “BUNBUN” Fujita, Hajime Fujita) – Protoman’s Whistle Concert

Ah, the first entire soundtrack I adored, and yes, “Protoman's Whistle Concert” is the first song in a game I fell in love with.

More tomorrow...
Old 10-18-2017, 01:24 PM

I just remembered an OST I forgot: Gaiares

For example Mission 1
Old 10-19-2017, 10:07 AM

Today I want to talk about the Brave Fencer Musashi OST. I only very recently realized how good it is when it was recommended to me by youtube after listening a lot to SaGa OSTs. When listening to the whole OST (and I highly recommend doing so), I realize how great it actually is when you hear it in one go. Because the game's OST actually slowly establishes various melody sets which are all fairly memorable and also fit well into the action gameplay the game presents. At first it doesn't sound all that great, but eventually you get into the mood and towards the end you just love it.

I picked Midair Giant Playground Battle as my favorite theme, which is basically the final dungeon theme. This song actually contains all the established main melodies and remixes them to a pretty great track, so when you hear it, it really makes you go "This is it. Now I have to show everything I've learned during the game."

That's why I decided to vote for it as #16.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:03 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Brave Fencer Musashi is an underappreciated gem that's mostly remembered as That Game That Came With The Final Fantasy 8 Demo.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Brave Fencer Musashi is an underappreciated gem that's mostly remembered as That Game That Came With The Final Fantasy 8 Demo.
That game actually has a pretty long story for me. I rented it for 2 days, but didn't like it very much, because I really hate day/night cycles in games. I never liked Zelda or action RPGs in general.
Then to christmas my parents bought me this game and I got really angry at them. They were like "The shop owner told us it's like Zelda, you like that don't you?" and I was like "No, I don't!".
Ever since then my parents stopped buying presents for me and instead gave me money, telling me to just buy the games I wanted.
One day I completely ran out of games to play and browsed through my games and say Brave Fencer Musashi and thought maybe I should give it another chance. I decided to just ignore day/night cycle and stop trying to be a completionist and the further I got into the game, the more in grow on me. The final dungeon ended up being one of the best game experiences I've ever had.

To stay on topic, in a way the OST works just like the game, seems bad at first but grows on you.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:38 AM
whatever it takes

Did you apologize to your parents?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Did you apologize to your parents?
Well, I told them that I ended up liking the game they once bought. But they are too old to still remember what I tell them, so they still won't buy games "blind" anymore.

I went for something else and instead always wish for something uncommon to which I have a personal connection. Like a (replacement to a) toy I broke when I was a child.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:29 PM

Another honorable mention from me I forgot: Super Hexagon
Favorite track: Hexagoner

And while we're at impossible games with good OSTs, there's also The Impossible Game.
Favorite track: Fire Aura

Tags
atlus/jrpg dick riding , democracy was a mistake , erauqs si dlrow eht , hip to be a square wave , pronounced "eece" , top 50 countdown , treble with anticipation