The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-14-2017, 05:53 AM

Default Humble Bundle Inc. acquired by IGN

http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/16...orces-with-ign
Quote:
Announcing our biggest bundle ever: Humble Bundle is proudly joining the IGN family! We will continue to bring you all of our humble products, but with more resources and help from IGN.

We chose IGN because they really understand our vision, share our passion for games, and believe in our mission to promote awesome digital content while helping charity. I can’t think of a better partner than IGN to help Humble Bundle continue our quest.

We will be working harder than ever to bring you the best gaming bundles, book bundles, and store sales, while nurturing the Humble Monthly and our new publishing initiative. We will keep our own office, culture, and amazing team with IGN helping us further our plans. We will raise even more money for charity.

John and I started Humble Bundle from our childhood homes. When our parents found out that our “big idea” was basically the honor system of pay-what-you-want plus charity, they braced themselves for the possibility that we might never move out. Seven years later, thanks to the generosity of over 10 million customers, we’ve now raised $106 million for charity. We are incredibly proud of this figure, of our team, and the Humble community which got us here.

But as far as we’ve come, we know we are just getting started. Even bigger things lie ahead, and we think IGN is the perfect partner to help us get there.

If you like Humble Bundle now, stay tuned, because we’ll have more exciting things to share in the near future.

-Jeffrey Rosen
Co-Founder, CEO
Humble Bundle
Peer Schneider, co-founder and general manager of IGN, outlines how it will treat owning a digital game retailer and publisher:

Quote:
To get more specific, we're going to use a two-pronged approach to ensuring editorial integrity when it comes to Humble Bundle. First, we will keep a rigid separation between IGN's editorial team and the Humble Bundle team. Second, we will provide full disclosure whenever IGN creates content about a game, bundle, or subscription created by or funded by Humble Bundle. This is the same effective approach we already use when IGN creates content about the products sold by our advertisers and commerce partners.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:51 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Did IGN get to pay what they want?
Old 10-14-2017, 08:02 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Did IGN get to pay what they want?
Probably below the average.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Outer Spacean

I'm not thrilled about this, but I'm taking a cautious approach with how Humble proceeds from here. It should be pretty apparent if IGN is exerting more control over their activities.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Sega CD version is better

Yeah, I was never too thrilled by the acquisition of Game Informer by GameStop either. This time it's the news outlet buying the store, but there is still a potential for conflicts of interest here.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:25 AM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

There hasn't been a bundle I've cared about in ages, so I'm not too personally hurt by this. But I don't feel like Humble Bundle could have been bought by anyone and had things turn out well. I imagine there will be regrets voiced in the future.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
There hasn't been a bundle I've cared about in ages, so I'm not too personally hurt by this.

I am worried a bit - between bundles and monthlies I have a lot of keys, and a crapton of comics. And the few PC games I buy I tend to get them through the Humble Store instead of Steam. It felt nice knowing there was a store I could give money to without feeling bad about it.

*sigh!*
Old 10-14-2017, 11:57 AM
Highway To HFIL

Can't wait for the Humble Bundle website to have a horrible layout filled with autoplaying video ads, hooo wee
Old 10-14-2017, 12:35 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
Can't wait for the Humble Bundle website to have a horrible layout
they're ahead of the IGN curve on that one
Old 10-15-2017, 10:49 AM
does the Underpants Dance

I'm honestly not seeing how this will adversely affect Humble Bundle's business model. As long as they continue to offer the same kind of sales platform then I don't see much of a problem.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I'm honestly not seeing how this will adversely affect Humble Bundle's business model. As long as they continue to offer the same kind of sales platform then I don't see much of a problem.
Yup. Now watch IGN try to improve that business model in an attempt to increase profits and screw it up. Also, now all the data that Humble has also in in IGN's hands.

My guess? Ads and cross-promotions with IGN before 9 months are up.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:11 AM
Space dad

Either this will ruin HB and I'll stop buying so many bundle keys I don't really need, or it will not significantly affect it, and I will continue to buy keys I don't really need from time to time (I've cut back). So I don't care much about this acquisition. If IGN's smart they'll leave HB to its business and just let it generate money for them.

Tags
humble bundle , humble trouble , ign