The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-13-2017, 05:04 PM
so exciting!

They did the same thing with Bravely Default - there were like three demos* where they kept asking for player feedback, and implemented a lot of stuff people asked for (faster walking speed, faster battles, etc).

*there were four demos but one was literally just Tiz talking to the screen and the AR thing of Agnes
Old 09-13-2017, 05:54 PM
oh my car

Silicon Studio has demonstrated that they do actually incorporate user feedback, so keep an eye out for that survey.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:58 PM
oh my car

Also:

I mean, I understand the SaGa comparisons, but it also looks like this game actually explains its own mechanics a little bit, which means that unlike SaGa I'm capable of liking it.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:59 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I died twice to the boss of the dancing girl's scenario. Halfway through my second try, I think I figured out what I should have been doing instead. If this is the difficulty setting they're going for, I like it. It's definitely the Bravely Default people.

But the boss battle is after a long cutscene that you can't skip, and you can't really quickly button mash through it either because it seems like the game wants to load the voice samples before every line of dialogue. So instead of trying it a third time I just quit, for now. If they want to make a challenging game, hopefully cutscene skipping is implemented in the final game, or at the very least they make it easier to button mash through dialogue. (Or, you know, just enable saving immediately before a boss battle or just straight up retries... They put a save point right before it, so the only difference would be whether you have to watch the cutscene or not...)

Relative to a Kawazu game, the writing is much clumsier/melodramatic/more standard modern JRPG. Instead of short allusive snippets that tell you just enough to be intriguing, you get extended melodramatic sequences explaining things to you. (Kawazu of course has melodramatic content, but this has a much more melodramatic presentation/dialogue/direction.) This approach is probably more marketable, but I prefer Kawazu's relatively lighter touch for this type of game. And Saga Scarlet Grace has been pretty much the main game I've been playing since January (on the 4th/the only remaining protagonist scenario, still loving it), so I'm not exactly starved for Kawazu, personally.

Similar to Bravely Default, the towns are much emptier than they look. A lot of doors are basically just menu screens to buy stuff, for example. This makes me happy, although I know other people will find it disappointing. I think 16-bit games hit the sweet spot of JRPG town sizes, where there's a relatively manageable number of NPCs to talk to.

Otherwise, I mostly like it so far.

There's no skill learning at all in this demo, so who knows if they're doing sparks or just standard skills at level up or what.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:03 PM

The music thus far is really nice.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:09 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Yeah the unskippable cutscenes are my main complaint right now. I really hope they at least incorporate a fast-forward button.

Some of the sprites are a pixel or two higher than they should be, which makes them hover over their shadow. The game is gorgeous otherwise but that bit's pretty distracting. I'm glad it has proper 2D sprites that use animation and pantomime to show emotion instead of "!" bubbles or character portraits.

The battles seem breezy and fun. The tiny dungeon didn't have anything going on but it at least looked nice, which is something. This dev team makes dreadful dungeons so I hope most of them are short.

And yes, the music is very nice. I'm on board 100%
Old 09-13-2017, 06:57 PM
Find Your Reason

If I'm still waiting for SMT 25th Anniversary and Super Mario Odyssey, would Octopus Traveler be a system seller?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:01 PM
so exciting!

i mean odyssey comes out next month and octopath is 2018...
Old 09-13-2017, 07:04 PM

Be still my beating heart. What a hell of a game! Loved the demo! Can't wait to give feedback.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
Be still my beating heart. What a hell of a game! Loved the demo! Can't wait to give feedback.
I love that they are taking feedback, it's a great idea. Xenoblade 2 needed the same process. "Should we include utterly heinous costume designs? Let us know!"
Old 09-13-2017, 07:19 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
Xenoblade 2 needed the same process. "Should we include utterly heinous costume designs? Let us know!"
This is a monkey's paw scenario.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 PM

Haha, you're right.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Sat down and played through the entire warrior path, that was an amazing demo. I switched to the Japanese voices after a bit, was glad those are in there too.

The way the light reflects when you are in the lantern with the cave... oh my goodness. I called Lumber into the room to watch. Beautiful.

My only gripe is that when you buy equipment it doesn't give you the option to equip it immediately.

Pretty damn sure I'm buying this.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:43 PM

Just saw the video, I'm totally in love with the game right now and will get a Switch just for this game if it gets released like that.

I'm only a bit scared about how they released a demo and collect player feedback. Hope that won't ruin the game.

Everything about this game screams Akitoshi Kawazu, it's hard to believe he wasn't involved in it. But I guess it's a good thing that new developers emerge that are actually making games I want to play.

The only criticism I have is that the font doesn't fit the game.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:56 PM
oh my car

The player feedback they collected for the Bravely games only improved them. I think mostly it was QoL improvements. I hope, for instance, that the survey tells them they need a "skip cutscene" button.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:13 AM

Yeah, as long as it stays with QoL improvement, I'm fine.

On reddit I saw several people complaining about the art style, though.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:24 AM
oh my car

Way too late to change the art style. However, they could stand to crank some of the depth-of-field effects down a notch or two.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:50 AM
so exciting!

Yeah the font from the trailer seemed to be a stock English font you find in Japanese releases rather than something you'd actually use of you were releasing it in America
Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 AM

I stayed up way too late last night playing this. I liked it a lot! It's definitely the Bravely Default folks, although I like this approach of powering up the moves as opposed to choosing moves four times.

That first boss encounter (only?) in the warrior scenario was rough. I probably should have gotten another level; I gained two on winning. I liked that I actually had to use my resources, defend at the proper times, and stock up for big hits when I could. If the combat stays this good, it'll be worth owning for sure.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:21 AM
concern troll

My early impression of the warrior part of the demo is the combat is fun, beating up NPCs is hilarious, and I hope the colors are a little more rich in the final version. The bloom is a bit much and the browns blend together a bit much. Still, really nice looking game.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:34 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Is depicting gross sexism sexist in and of itself? From the bit of the demo I've played, it's pretty clear that Primrose hates the treatment that you're describing, and with the art, it's not like we're getting disturbing zoom-ins on her T&A.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:38 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

That was pretty much the opposite of my reaction.

I thought having a playable sex worker on a quest for revenge was cool and good.

I still think the writing is bloated, but I liked the glimpse of the concept, and I think the payoff of the scenario basically worked.

edit: (responding to a deleted post, but leaving this because I think the depiction of Primrose as a sex-worker is worth talking about)
Old 09-14-2017, 10:38 AM

y'all are right and I am stupid
Old 09-14-2017, 10:42 AM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

are there dungeons in the demo

do they suck or are they ok
Old 09-14-2017, 10:45 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhof View Post
I'm not so sure? There's still a lot of room to screw it up, and I understand why someone might not like it. I'm just saying that I didn't have a negative response. I definitely see this being understandably divisive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
are there dungeons in the demo

do they suck or are they ok
They are definitely The First Dungeon in a JRPG. I liked the use of 3D space in the dungeon in Primrose's scenario. I haven't played the other one.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:51 AM
TARANTUL

I played through Primrose's demo. The boss kicked my ass the first two times (second time I just ran out of grapes without killing him), then I went back and upgraded my gear and also recruited an NPC who on-shot broke all of the guards and made the fight a lot more manageable.

There's certainly some of BD's combat flow in this though defend seems a lot less rewarding (but at the same time you don't need it as much). I'd want a 'retry battle' before 'skip cutscene' but both should really be in the game.

I also thought the voice acting was pretty good, "Go pleasure yourself" wouldn't work if the delivery wasn't as spot on as it is.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:58 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhof View Post
I've only played the first ten mins or so, so they have PLENTY of room to drop the ball
Old 09-14-2017, 12:05 PM
TARANTUL

I expect we won't see anything else about if after the first 30 min or so where Primrose's demo ends and the rest of her story will pretty much ignore it.

Could be wrong.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:10 PM

I played through Primrose as well, but I couldn't figure out the sub quest with the man harassing the woman outside the dancer's dormitory!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:17 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
I've only played the first ten mins or so, so they have PLENTY of room to drop the ball
At one point she says, "I need to get warmer clothes."

Will Primrose actually get warmer clothes, or stay in a bikini the whole game? Find out in Octopath Traveler, coming 2018 for Nintendo Switch!

Tags
infinite undiscovery , kawazu-flavored , octopath , project octopath traveler , rpg , silicon studio , square enix , tophat rave