The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Smudged

I haven't played the Vita version, but on 3DS I had to enter the cheat code.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I decided to pick this up for my Vita while it was on sale (and before they break the campaigns out into separate purchases). I got the PC version for $10 because I backed the Kickstarter, but I've gotten so much enjoyment from it that I was happy to give them a bit more money and get a portable version in exchange. I downloaded it yesterday and there's no mention of the other campaigns in the menus - do I need to update the game, or do I have to unlock Plague Knight using the cheat code? Does anybody have any experience playing this on the Vita? I will say that it looks great (2nd gen Vita) and the Vita controls are very nice for this kind of game.
If it's anything like the 3DS copy that I picked up recently, you'll need to plug in the cheat code if you haven't beaten it yet for Plague Knight.

EDIT: Ninja'd!
Old 03-01-2017, 09:45 AM
Yes, let's feast!

In case it's not clear, you can unlock them without cheat codes by finishing the Shovel Knight campaign.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:56 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

A video Nintendo posted showing the Switch storefront has Treasure Trove at $25 and Specter of Torment (and presumably the other campaigns) at $10 each.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:57 AM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudik View Post
It's not a perfect thing, but there's lots you can do about just not having to use pronouns for spoken dialog. Xenoblade X swapped pronouns for your character but it just never came up in any cutscene.
And for games like Mass Effect they did the second dialogue track anyways, so there's no reason not to let you choose
Old 03-01-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendrick View Post
It works for text games, but it would be a bit of trouble for voice-acted games cause you'd have to re-record lines rather than just mass-replacing pronouns.
Yeah, about that...
Old 03-04-2017, 03:08 AM
Mystery Contraption

I imagine that everyone who got a Switch was busy with BotW, but Specter of
Torment is fantastic. Speccy kind of feels like a cross between Ryu Hayabusa and Sonic the Hedgehog and the levels I've played are entirely new, just using the same Sprite-set. King and Black are both totally different fights.

Also, Specter Knight has a Will bar, not a Life Bar, on account of how he's dead.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:15 AM
Out Of Warranty

Have they said anything firm about when the price will go up for the non-Switch consoles?
Old 03-04-2017, 03:26 AM
Mystery Contraption

I'm fairly certain Treasure Trove and Specter are going up for everything else sometime in April. So you still have a few weeks.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:30 AM
I. Love. It.

More Body Swap mode previews, this time Polar Knight and Propeller Knight.

Dang that Lady Polar Knight, I might just keep him swapped indefinitely.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:37 AM
Mystery Contraption

I greatly appreciate how both versions of Black Knight are totally androgynous, as the mode does not disrupt my head canon this way.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:30 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

I'm a bit confused by all the renaming and the Switch release. If I bought the original on WiiU, do I get the update that allows the body swap?
Old 03-09-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
I'm a bit confused by all the renaming and the Switch release. If I bought the original on WiiU, do I get the update that allows the body swap?
Yes, if you previously bought Shovel Knight you will still get the newest DLC, but it won't be out for other systems until April.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Mystery Contraption

Unless things change suddenly, yes. Treasure Trove is the original Shovel Knight release. And if you already own Shovel Knight, it'll upgrade to Treasure Trove once it's released.

The change is just for people who didn't already own the game and didn't want all the campaigns.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:52 PM
Chief Servbot

Treasure Trove is the "Game of the Year Edition" with everything included, everything else is individual campaigns. Everyone who already owns a copy gets upgraded to Treasure Trove for free.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:35 PM
I. Love. It.

I just finished Specter of Torment and it's really damn good. It has a couple of areas where I wish things were done a bit differently but overall it's another solid Shovel Knight chapter, and feels much more like a new game than Plague of Shadows did.

Don't get me wrong, it's still very much Shovel Knight, but in Plague of Shadows the stages were largely the same, save for a few sections and some added optional parts, but in Specter of Torment they're largely redesigned from the ground up. You can see the skeleton of the originals, certainly, but on the whole they're entirely new experiences. The bosses all have entirely new patterns as well.

The stages also all have new music, and a lot of the remixed tracks are I enjoyed more than the originals. The music for the Lich Yard, in particular, is Castlevania as all get out. The boss themes, though, are unchanged.

Speaking of music, there's no music sheets to find in the stages, and thus no gradual unlocking of the new soundtrack. But don't worry, once you finish the campaign once you get access to a sound test. This is a touch disappointing, honestly, I would have preferred the music sheet method.

There's no world map in this campaign, every stage is selected from a hub. There's no visiting the two towns, or the Troupple Pond, nor any other incidental non-main-stage encounters, which is a bit of a let-down. But you can fight the Knights in any order you please now, after the intro stage, which is good.

Also, regarding the hub, I still haven't figured out what the smaller rotating mirror on the upper level is for. Has anyone else played it and figured this out?

One disappointment in the endgame: There's no boss re-fights. If you don't like that sort of thing then this might be a plus, but considering this time all the Knights have new patterns it's kind of a let-down that they don't get a chance to make a second appearance in the boss rush. Then again, given some of the boss arenas this time around it might have been a bit too difficult to actually make one work. Oh well!

Specter Knight himself controls really smoothly. Plague Knight was very much an advanced sort of character who was really powerful once you got used to him but had a much steeper learning curve than Shovel Knight. I think this turned some people off from his campaign. Specter Knight doesn't really have this issue, he controls intuitively and his ability to diagonally air-dash at, or through, enemies and certain obstacles is really satisfying. His Curios are all interesting, but I mostly stuck with the health-restoring one for nearly the whole game. It was a bit OP, especially in its upgraded form.

So overall, high marks for this campaign. It was damn good, good enough to tear me away from Breath of the Wild often enough to finish it. I can't believe it's going to be free next month to anyone who already has Shovel Knight. Again, Yacht Club is too good to us. I don't regret purchasing it (for a third time) for Switch at all. While I kind of want to see what they could now do with an entirely new game, I can't begrudge them these new Shovel Knight experiences one bit.

Bring on King Knight!

Wait, Body Swap mode is probably coming next.

Bring on Queen Knight!
Old 03-16-2017, 06:14 PM
Mystery Contraption

If you hit that mirror a whole bunch of times, a witch appears to tell you your gameplay stats.

Shovel Knight on the whole may be my favorite game of the last decade, and Specter of Torment is probably my favorite campaign of it.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:15 PM
Blue Comet

Specter of Torment is already out? Hoo boy, I have a lot of work to do...but when is King Knight's campaign coming out? I pre-ordered the guidebook and it says it's coming in April, so I figured King Knight would come around that time too...
Old 03-16-2017, 06:21 PM
Mystery Contraption

It's out on the Switch now. It's out on everything else in April. I think Body Swap is out in April as well.

King Knight is quite a ways out, as it hasn't been revealed yet.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:46 AM
The Goggles do Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post

Wait, Body Swap mode is probably coming next.

Bring on Queen Knight!
If you picked up Treasure Trove on the Switch (which I'm assuming, given you played Spectre), you've already got body swap. Lady Treasure Knight is the best.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:34 AM
I. Love. It.

Wait the hell you say?

*checks*

Hot dang, you're right! I never bothered to start a regular campaign so I wasn't given the option, I just assumed it was still coming later. (I wonder if we'll ever get body swap modes for the other campaigns?)

I just started a quick game with everything made opposite, and it's a tad disappointing that the changes aren't reflected in the opening story, outside of the text. Visually it's still male Shovel Knight/Order of no Quarter and female Shield Knight/Enchantress. Considering how much polish went into the rest of the mode this oversight is just a bit disappointing. But, only a bit.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:07 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoggleBob View Post
If you picked up Treasure Trove on the Switch (which I'm assuming, given you played Spectre), you've already got body swap. Lady Treasure Knight is the best.
Aww, I just got Specter.

Piffle.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:46 AM
The Goggles do Nothing

I debated on just getting Spectre, but I figured the best way to "try out" a new system was to play a game I knew inside and out from playing on every other system. Fun fact: Shovel Knight's up/down combo movements (using a special attack, shovel pogo-ing) suuuuuuck on every possible Switch controller. ... Or at least take some getting used to.

But Lady Plague Knight gets a kicky new hat, so it's all good.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Highway To HFIL

insert picture of Smithers saying "but she has a new hat!"
Old 03-17-2017, 01:17 PM
Mystery Contraption

Is there a discount on Treasure Trove if you bought one of the campaigns alone, or has my haste to own a copy of The Best Game without filling up my eShop wallet first cursed me out of some filthy lucre?
Old 03-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Mystery Contraption

Apparently not.

Well, can't say I feel bad about giving Yacht Club some more scratch.

Tags
aharddays knight , butt butt , butt mode , dig in! , justice in spades , mobile gear?! , now with plague knight! , prime thy potions , propeller rats , shield butt , shovel knight , shovel ware , shovelry , stay thy fork , strike the earth , who asked for battletoads , yacht club