The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-20-2017, 07:35 AM
Dr. of Ys-anomics

I haven't won much with it, but lock and load secret hunter is a blast to play in the tavern brawl

The highlight - A hunter attacking into a misdirection trap and hitting their own 10 attack VanCleef
Old 02-14-2017, 10:44 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Ladder changes and card nerfs

Will a weaker Small Time Buccaneer be enough to dethrone Pirates? (My guess: no) Will a more expensive Spirit Claws kill Shaman dominance? (My guess: probably still no!)
Old 02-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

Well, it's possible -- 1 toughness is a lot more fragile than 2. It dies to everything now. And if a Spirit Claws nerf doesn't defang Shaman, losing Tunnel Trogg, Sir Finley, Totem Golem, and Thunder Bluff Valiant in the rotation almost certainly will.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:07 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
Well, it's possible -- 1 toughness is a lot more fragile than 2. It dies to everything now. And if a Spirit Claws nerf doesn't defang Shaman, losing Tunnel Trogg, Sir Finley, Totem Golem, and Thunder Bluff Valiant in the rotation almost certainly will.
Yeah, it's a lot more fragile; 1-damage board clears become viable again, but were there many of those in common use beyond Maelstrom Portal? Maybe Reno Mage starts running an Arcane Explosion or Arcane Missiles?

The rotation's going to be interesting for Shaman, yeah. But it's also going to be interesting for Dragon (Twilight Guardian, Wyrmrest Agent, Blackwing Corruptor) and Reno (er... Reno).
Old 02-14-2017, 01:41 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Missiles, Flamewaker (briefly), Twilight Flamecaller, Fan of Knives, Whirlwind/Ravaging Ghoul, Mortal Coil, Mage/Druid/Rogue Hero Powers. Basically, all the stuff that before was only clearing Patches now gets to kill the more threatening guy instead. It now also only trades with 1- and 2-mana 1/3s like Mana Wyrm, Northshire Cleric, and Netherspite Historian instead of eating them for free, so those kinds of cards are more viable as a defense. Alley Cat gets to trade with it and leave the token around, where before it could get at best a 1-for-1.

Basically, STB feels more like a Leper Gnome variant now. What this nerf does is disincentivizes "splashing" the Pirate package in decks like Miracle Rogue and Jade Shaman that aren't all-in on the face plan, while still leaving it as a (weakened, more easily countered) option for pure face decks like Pirate Warrior or Aggro Shaman.

It's a lot easier to deal 1 than it is to deal 2.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:52 PM
forbidden noise

yeah, having played a whole lot of cheap-murloc-shaman personally i think it's actually pretty hard to overstate how much weaker 1 health is than 2. you start getting straight-up bad trades against common 1-drops (the ones with 3 health) since you also can't coin to get claws on the same turn. and while obviously shaman and warrior were/are the most common classes to run 1-damage aoes, being vulnerable to pings and other free tokens is a big deal

it's not going to be as frustrating as trying to play "everything has 4 health" rogue in the shredder meta but it's a real nerf
Old 02-15-2017, 12:32 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Good Brawl alert: This week, it's Cho'Gall's Brawl, where all spells cost life instead of mana. I'm sure there's some ridiculous Miracle Rogue or Freeze Mage build you can make if you want to be a fun-crusher, but I've been having a good time with this:

Mistress of Mixtures
Power Word: Shield
Acidic Swamp Ooze
Doomsayer
Shadow Word: Pain
Wild Pyromancer
Brann Bronzebeard
Dark Cultist
Kabal Courier
Kabal Talonpriest
Shadow Word: Death
Thoughtsteal
Velen's Chosen
Violet Illusionist
Kazakus
Priest of the Feast
Darkshire Alchemist
Excavated Evil
Holy Nova
Loatheb
Raza the Chained
Dragonfire Potion
Entomb
Justicar Trueheart
Lightbomb
Reno Jackson
Medivh, the Guardian
Arch-Thief Rafaam
Mind Control
Arcane Giant

No one expects the Rafaamian Inquisition. Also, I got Prophet Velen out of the pack, which is fitting.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:45 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Speaking of Prophet Velen, I decided to use this brawl to try to finally get some use out of him. My opponent was not prepared for the Priest OTK from 24 health.

Finally got a Loot Horder out of the pack too, which I'm pretty sure was the last classless common from Standard I didn't have a copy of.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Chief

Year of the Mammoth details ahoy!

Aside from killing off combo warlock and miracle rouge, as well as kneecapping freeze mage, they're also killing off azure drake, sylvanas and rag in standard play. On the bright side, we get a bunch of dust for just having those cards in our collections?

3 130 card expansions in one year is going to be a lot of stuff to play with though. I feel like I need to start hoarding gold now just to get the packs to keep up.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:33 AM
>TRANCE

Quote:
We wanted to allow players to disenchant Classic cards that are being added to the Hall of Fame set for full dust refunds, but then felt that incentivizing players to dust their cool Wild cards was counter to our goal of making Wild awesome.

So instead, we're just going to give you the dust, and you can keep the cards!

Up to the maximum number of cards you could put in a deck, we will give you the full dust value of any cards you have that are being added to the Hall of Fame set. (Yes, that means if you have at least one Golden Ragnaros, you'll get 3200 dust!) The dust will be automatically awarded upon log-in once the Year of the Mammoth begins.
Wow, so does that mean it's time to craft each of these for free?

Quote:
For the Year of the Mammoth, our release cycle will include a ~130 card expansion at the start of the year, a ~130 card expansion in the middle of the year, and another ~130 card expansion at the end of the year.

Why the change of release cycle?

At their core, Adventures paint colorful and thematic stories about the Hearthstone universe. Imagine being able to learn about the history and lore behind each of our sets inside the game in a similar way! Defining who the Jade Lotus are through a series of battles between the Mean Streets of Gadgetzan families would have been a great way to supplement the overall Gadgetzan story arc. That concept is something we would like to do more of in future sets: Take the storytelling and cool missions of Adventures, and combine them with the card pools of expansions.

Cards will be acquired via packs like other expansions in the past; additionally, each release will include optional single-player missions that will help develop the expansions’ thematic narratives and offer fun challenges.
I liked adventures, so I hope the set-related "missions" live up to them.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:50 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Man, nuking six cards from standard, including a defining Rogue card and three of the most popular classless cards? Wow. Azure Drake's an especially hard hit; makes me wonder what the new go-to card draw is going to be.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:31 PM
Dr. of Ys-anomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Man, nuking six cards from standard, including a defining Rogue card and three of the most popular classless cards? Wow. Azure Drake's an especially hard hit; makes me wonder what the new go-to card draw is going to be.
I feel like it would be better to do these announcements after we start seeing cards from the new set, would likely give us more context.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:33 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

The point is that there shouldn't be one; you pick a draw card that works well with your individual deck rather than having a generic one-size-fits all solution. (Same deal with Ragnaros.)

I'm not really sad to see any of these go, although it stings for new players to not have strong neutral legendaries to work towards anymore. Rag was the first legendary I opened and fit into pretty much every deck I made when I was first getting into the game.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:39 PM
Smudged

I'm pretty salty about losing Adventures. I loved paying twenty bucks and getting a specific set of cards. I'm pretty much guaranteed to fall behind now.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:46 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
The point is that there shouldn't be one; you pick a draw card that works well with your individual deck rather than having a generic one-size-fits all solution. (Same deal with Ragnaros.)
Ideally, maybe? Realistically speaking there's always going to be a "add these for card draw" toolkit outside of the most specialized and highly-tuned decks, unless all card draw is only ever found on highly situational cards. And with Loot Hoarder and Novice Engineer still in standard, that's not happening anytime soon.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Not all decks want Loot Hoarder or Novice Engineer, though. Those cards specifically go into decks that want to contest early minions without falling behind on cards, or decks that want to quickly assemble a burst combo. The reason Azure Drake was so ubiquitous was that it was a decent threat and utility card on top of being draw; Loot Hoarder, Novice Engineer, and Gnomish Inventor don't offer that advantage, so there's more opportunity cost to playing them.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:11 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Loot Hoarder, Novice Engineer, and Gnomish Inventor don't offer that advantage, so there's more opportunity cost to playing them.
I remain skeptical that the opportunity cost to a 2 mana 2/1 + draw is high enough in any deck that it outweighs the opportunity cost of "bring less card draw".
Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 PM
Dr. of Ys-anomics

Azure drake wasn't played just for the draw though, that spell damage was a big deal. There's no real other card (currently, pending new stuff) that had that combination of decent stats, instant card draw, AND spell damage.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

The opportunity cost is that a 2/1 for two is rubbish in almost all situations. Unless you can trade it for a 3/2, it will almost never affect the board, and it's an awful topdeck. Every deck wants draw... if it can reasonably get it. However, they will not play subpar cards just because they have the words "draw a card" on them.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:12 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Still think we're going to see a new set of draw auto-includes.

On that note a duplicate Madame Goya gave me enough dust to craft Sylvanas, who will produce free dust in a few weeks, which will be turned into Thalnos.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:09 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
On that note a duplicate Madame Goya gave me enough dust to craft Sylvanas, who will produce free dust in a few weeks, which will be turned into Thalnos.
Or I could open Thalnos out of a classic pack. Uh. Well.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:20 PM

Assuming I have the dust lying around, is there any reason not to DE my normal Sylvannas (for 400 dust), craft a golden Sylvannas for 1600 dust (which will give me 1600 dust in a couple of weeks), and enjoy my net gain of +400 dust. The way they've explained things, this sounds like something I can do for everyone one of the cards I currently own that they're changing (admittedly, Sylvannas has the most profit), and I get gold versions of the cards.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:23 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Don't golden legendaries cost 3,200 dust?
Old 02-18-2017, 03:27 PM

Same point, then, different cost (I've never crafted a golden legendary). They're supposed to give you the dust of whatever you have, is my understanding.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:00 PM
>TRANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banach View Post
Same point, then, different cost (I've never crafted a golden legendary). They're supposed to give you the dust of whatever you have, is my understanding.
If you DE your Sylvanas and craft a gold one, you end up with 400 dust and a gold Sylvanas. If you just hold on to the one you already have, you end up with 1600 dust and a normal Sylvanas. So you're basically down 1200 dust to convert your Sylvanas to gold. That's a pretty good discount if that's something you want (normally it'd be 2800), but it's not free.

If you're missing any of these cards and have the spare dust, crafting them (even in gold!) is free, though.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:58 PM

That's true, it's just a discount. 400 dust isn't a bad discount, but I've never cared about golden cards, so I'll probably pass.

Definitely planned on golden crafting the one's I don't have. That's just a good plan.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:38 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

So they brought back one of the worst Brawls this week, but hey, Arena changes.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:45 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Another announcement due up Monday. Hopefully now that they've got their rotation housekeeping out of the way, they can finally start talking about the new expansion. Card nerfs, Classic rotations, and ladder and Arena modifications are all peanuts compared to 130 new cards.

Of course, knowing Blizzard they'll probably take the opportunity to talk about how for a limited time only, GVG and Naxx are coming back to the store, or they've got a new hero skin or something, but I can always dream.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Journey to Un'Goro.

I'm hoping we get a big green dinosaur with Stealth.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:09 AM
King Of Space-Time

Tags
blizzard , ccg , hearthstone , mlg , warcraft