The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-12-2017, 10:44 AM
oh my car

I guess we're not using spoiler tags in this thread any more?
Old 02-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Smudged

Just now got caught up, because Amazon packages them as full half-hours, so "That Will Be All" was together with "New Crystal Gems."

I noticed that every Ruby we've seen looks identical except for the placement of their gem, but the Amethysts and Jaspers have a lot of variation between individuals. Does Earth have unique effects on the gems grown there? Agate apologizes for her Quartz soldiers because they're from Earth.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Not a Beer

It seems like Earth-grown gems tend to be less "regular", yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
*pounding fist on table*

GIVE

PEARL

A

GIRLFRIEND
Well sure, I'm also in favor of this.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:26 PM
oh my car

The last time Pearl had a girlfriend, she died. "The one constant in all your failed relationships..."
Old 02-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Conquers the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
But. But it was adorable.

I mean really, not every episode can be a gut-wrenching emotional journey. Pace yourselves. I'm looking forward to a few eps of general goofiness before getting back to serious plot times.
I'm not knocking it for being a goof-off episode! One of my favorite episodes is Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service! I'm just disappointed that for a show with such a great history of teaching kids lessons that no other show bothers to talk about, the moral at the end was maybe one of the biggest cliches in the history of childrens' fiction (also sort of contrived - in order to arrive at that lesson, the group needed to arbitrarily agree to follow a completely nonsensical rule for literally no reason) If they were going to phone the ending in with a spin from the Animaniacs Wheel of Morality, I'd rather there just wasn't a lesson at all.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Remembers Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
It seems like Earth-grown gems tend to be less "regular", yeah.
Could be that Earth gems are a little "off". They also seem to have built the warrior Quartzes with strong individualist and belligerent streaks, so it could be those manifesting in interesting phenotypes.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:05 PM
We just don't know.

So I just got all caught up on the "new" bomb.

Some possible aesthetic-influence things I caught:

The scene introducing Blue gave me a very strong Dark Souls vibe that I couldn't shake. A giant woman, knelt over a shattered ruin, whispering melancholy to it and weeping... the voice and the robe may have been the biggest things to get me thinking that?

The background music of the zoo, especially in the Diamond room before What's the Use started, was giving me intense Hyper Light Drifter deja vu. Everything on-screen being vivid pink with splashes of blue probably helped.

And finally, the actual blocking and design of two giant people with the little ones running around was a) fucking amazing and also b) gave me flashbacks to Fantastic Children, an anime I kind of expect nobody else ever to have even seen or heard of.

The episodes themselves were great, of course. Amethyst finding her Famethyst and their being rad was really great. Even another Jasper! Also Carnelian. Interesting: Carnelian is not a quartz, but a chalcedony. And Jasper is described as "an aggregate of microgranular quartz and/or chalcedony" and other minerals on wikipedia. So I guess Earth gems being silicon-based is their thing?

The human designs were really interesting and also struck me as being aggressively androgynous for the most part, even without the single outfit. Not to mention the wide swathe of skin colors.

The New Crystal Gems basically going full New Mutants/X-Force as a side team was sweet and hilarious. Lapis's Garnet voice was amazing, too.

The CMY theory makes a lot of sense...
I mean, there are all sorts of colors of diamond in our real world. And as we've seen, there is a LOT of pre-planning and careful choices in SU. There must have been a reason to pick those three, and with fusion being such a big deal and those three colors combining... BUT. The counterarguments above are also convincing. And I have a few more thoughts about color theory.

So, the primary colors of light that we conventionally use are Red, Blue and Green. These are additive colors: white light is the combination of all of those lightwaves. And there's a lot made about gems being made of Light (emphasized in the FTL travel episode). CMY(K) is the basis for most of our pigment and ink printing: subtractive color. When you add Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow together, you don't get white, you get black. You start with White light, and take away varying wavelengths of C, M and Y (by using pigments that absorb varying wavelengths out of the white light) to create color.

Then again, gems themselves are as color filters. A yellow gem is so because it filters out all the non-yellow wavelengths of light. And light filters, being subtractive, are often CMY.

Consider also that white diamonds are usually just called "diamonds." They're typically thought of as "plain" or "normal" diamonds.

If white were the combination of primary colored lights, wouldn't they be red, green, and blue (which colors of diamond do exist)? Or is it CMY under the gem=filter theory?

Either way... Could it be that we're looking at it backwards? Maybe White Diamond isn't a fusion of yellow, pink and blue. Maybe yellow pink and blue are a fission of White diamond, AKA, Diamond. (Have we heard to her referred to specifically as "white diamond" yet?)

Perhaps originally there was Diamond, who was white, and was the combination of all light (which is gem life). Then she split into her three primary colors: yellow, magenta and cyan pink and blue. These three primary colors then gave rise to full spectrum of color, etc. etc. Is White Diamond their creation myth? Is she literally their Goddess? The diamonds do kind of fill the roles not just of leader, but of demigod. Perhaps these three gem (demi?)goddesses then proceeded to create gem life and society as we now know it. It's true that White is often shown in both versions of symbol with the others... but white is always on top.

Maybe the underlying secret of fusion is that by mixing colored light, you create new colors, which in a race of Light filtered through colored rocks and Hardened means it's creating new life. Maybe it's originally taboo because it treads on divinity's power of creation. OR maybe because it is sacrilege; maybe FISSION is divine creation, and FUSION is undoing and perverting the natural order. Maybe? Am I thinking way too hard about this?

This could also explain the types and varieties of gems we've seen. It seems that every cut of gem is related to a certain diamond they refer to as "their" diamond in fervent devotion, generally associated by color. Various pinks purples and reds under Pink, blues under blue, etc. If so: where are White Diamond's gems? It's true there's still a lot about gem life and hierarchy we don't know yet, but...

(I'm currently trying to find a scientific breakdown of how based on convention this all is; If you started with darkness and added cyan, magenta, and yellow light would you then get white? In theory, the color wheel should work with any three points, and our RGB/CMY systems are based on convention? Or is it something intrinsic to the three cones in our eyes? Also sorting through adding, subtracting, colors of light, filters on lights, it all starts to get kind of confusing, so I might be missing something or conflating things or whatever.)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:49 PM
third

There's a lot of theories floating around but I don't think any of them are as exciting as White Diamond just being one more giant badass diva like the ones we've seen, except moreso.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:05 AM
index not found

My favourite (silly) fan theory is tracing the parallels of grief with Pink Diamond as Rose, Blue Diamond as Pearl, and Yellow Diamond as Garnet to say that White Diamond's been busy offscreen as Amethyst and going through some aristocratic / plundering kids-show space hedonism for grandiose millennia.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:05 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I loved that most recent episode more than is reasonable. That being said, Pumpkin is obviously Amethyst, I mean come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Fantastic Children, an anime I kind of expect nobody else ever to have even seen or heard of.
I don't have anything to add, but FYI, I watched this in its entirety back in the day. I love the quiet, melancholy intro.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:01 AM
the alchemy forest

(that will be all)
Old 02-17-2017, 06:17 PM
oh my car

Is it just me, or is "Storm in the Room" mainly an extremely intense recap episode? That's not a complaint, by the way. I'm always very impressed with how this show works within its format but carries it in a wholly unique direction. The purpose of a recap episode is to reestablish the stakes of the wider conflict for the benefit of upcoming episodes' clarity. Because it's Steven Universe, the stakes - and, presumably, the conflict - are chiefly and explicitly emotional in nature.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:39 PM
third

Re: Storm in the Room, the camera sure lingered on those earrings, huh.

One of my favorite things about this show is how they frequently go a different direction than I'm expecting, like having an episode where Steven meets his mom when we just learned that there are other Rose Quartzes still in existence. Who are not Steven's mom, of course, but do invite the prospect of a reunion of sorts. It reads at first glance as a "wrong" move, playing a card too soon instead of saving it. Making me wonder if we are being set up for an anticlimax. (And if Fusion Cuisine/Jailbreak/Watermelon Island set the precedent, a further climax when we are no longer expecting it.)

Last edited by Sanagi; 02-17-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Tags
cartoons , cats=body horror , cheap tactics , dew and doritos , don't call again , gay agenda , healing lacrimal essence , i panicked , i'm bob , lgbt , mom collection , playing with swords , rose schwartz , sadder and gayer , singing while crying , steven universe