The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 02-02-2017, 02:37 PM
We just don't know.

We played two weeks ago. We encountered a juvenile bronze dragon that looked mess't up and I detected a spell, so I snuck up on it and used Dispel Magic (with my Fortuitous Circumstance card*) It cleared the Dominate spell on it, he came to his senses, opened a door for us, and flew off to rejoin his flight and recover before coming back to take his revenge.

We're in a place called the Laughing Valley. One by one we all caught the early stages of Cackle Fever, a disease? something that makes the person break down laughing. I know my lesser restoration can cure it, but I only got so many slots for that! An alchemist told us to look out for local vegetation since it grew in exposure to the Whatever and might have antidotal properties. We're just kind of giggling right now. But I'll miss our next session because of Talcon so they'll bot/autopilot me through the next bit of (possibly the rest of) that adventure. Ah well.

*Our DM picked up a deck of these cards. For a crit, you draw a crit card and get the effect it says (each card has a different effect for melee, ranged, spell and natural attacks). Same for failures. It also has bonus cards for rolling a natural 20 (you get a card to use at your leisure later, but can only have one at a time) or a 1 (The DM gets a card to use against you at their discretion, but again only one per player at a time). Some of them are specific like "save a throw" or "reroll" or whatnot but there's also the Fortuitous Circumstances card that basically says "what you're doing goes well!"
Old 02-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Today's Sorcerer UA makes me sad.

Not because any of the options are especially good or bad, but because the Favored Soul has two features that would fix so many of the problems with the Fighter (1/rest +2d4 to a failed save @ 1st, 1/long rest bonus action to heal 1/2 HP when below 1/2 HP @ 18th). Yeah, the second's just "another 2nd Wind", but...
Old 02-06-2017, 02:15 PM
TARANTUL

5E saves are basically broken at high level, and a daily resource for fighters won't fix it (extra stat ups or feats put fighters a little better off than most non-monks, anyway).
Old 02-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
5E saves are basically broken at high level, and a daily resource for fighters won't fix it (extra stat ups or feats put fighters a little better off than most non-monks, anyway).
+5 (on average) to an arbitrary save when you already know you need it is at least a plausible patch, and is within the realm of publishable possibility.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:22 PM
For blood and gold

Posted by a friend on Facebook:

Quote:
[4 year-old] just asked me, “Daddy, how can Diego talk to animals all the time?"

I answered, “because he’s a ranger.”
Old 02-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Inherently Stealthy

"So hey," says the 5e dev team. "We've heard there's fighter/wizard balance problems. So we're going to release a UA that fixes that."

"Awesome!"

5e dev team: "First off, we've decided that magic weapon aquisition is an issue."

"Finally!"

5e dev team: "So the warlock can now create them out of thin air at the lowest possible level they could start finding that modifier. But for themselves only. We wouldn't want them to be broken or anything."

"... I'm not sure the process by which you've arrived at this conclusion but it fixes nothing. Let's move on."

5e dev team: "Now, the wizard and combat is a widely acknowledged problem."

"Yes!"

5e dev team: "It really sucks when a monster resists your damage types."

"... Wait, what?"

5e dev team: "Or when all your spells hit a really good save."

"... I think you've missed the plot."

5e dev team: "So how about a wizard that not only makes Intelligence checks at double proficiency, but can pick which save their save-or-die spell hits! Or which damage type it does! Memorizing the monster manual is awesome, and we know GMs love it."

"Are... Are you from Earth?"

5e dev team: "But that's not great by itself. It can also make spells harder to save against, or add force damage, which is awful and never good against anything, we know. But very thematic!"

"I... Is this the mirror universe?"

5e dev team: "Hey, we know, you're still not sold, this is all trash, but the overall package is good, right? So let's keep going. 10th level. Bonus action. Swap spells. 14th level. Bonus action. Cast a spell from any spell list. BOOM. Wizard fixed. We out."

"I'm going to sob uncontrollably in the corner for an hour."
Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 PM
is Earnest

There's some good flavor, but it's a lot more powerful than the other UA classes we've gotten. It's all playtest material, so make sure to give feedback next week.

I like a lot of the invocations, but I'm shocked we didn't end up with any new metamagic last week. Seems like a pretty easy way to give the Sorcerer's a boost.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
There's some good flavor, but it's a lot more powerful than the other UA classes we've gotten. It's all playtest material, so make sure to give feedback next week.
It's basically "Hey, why should the wizard have weaknesses?"

I intend to have Choice Words when its feedback goes up.

Quote:
I like a lot of the invocations, but I'm shocked we didn't end up with any new metamagic last week. Seems like a pretty easy way to give the Sorcerer's a boost.
The Invocations are pretty good, honestly. There's a few that slip into "Why bother rolling a martial class, you can build a better one with a Warlock" but we were already there, so what's a little bit more? The best thing about them, though, is the lightweight setting-building built into them, with some ideas for Fey patrons.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:30 PM
is Earnest

Yeah! The Fey archer is sweet, and I'd let my players treat Eldritch Blast as some sort of arrow attack if they wanted to go that way. There's some solid Great Old One stuff too.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:19 PM
We just don't know.

This warlock update is weird. It basically looks like they want warlocks to be able to do anything.

Any given blade pact warlock gets an invocation to give them divine smite, so they can be paladins. Seems like most eldritch blasters get a feature to either turn it into cold ray or thorn whip or just cast fireball with it for the hell of it.

I really like the idea of patron-specific invocations in addition to the base rules' pact-specific ones, to further differentiate and incentivize and flavor the different patrons. It's kinda weird to give each one the same invocation with the divine smite thing, though.

I like the new Raven Queen patron, though it looks like it would interact weirdly with Chain. Do you get two familiars, a raven and a chain? Do you combine their abilities into one more powerful one?

In the same vein, Hexblade + Blade pact looks kinda ridiculous. Free +1/+2/+3 magic weapons at 5/9/14 and all sorts of other curse things look a bit excessive, although I guess the Hexcurse only being once/rest is a limiter since a lot relies on that? I guess it's just "fine, here, play a magic-sword, whatever."
Old 02-13-2017, 04:48 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

We ended our last session with a fight that had three of the four characters unconscious on the floor, and the cleric with 2 HP in a desperate lunge with Inflict Wounds to finish off the blackguard that had caused the aforementioned devastation. The altar in the middle of the room had been Hallowed to strike fear into any interlopers' hearts, which slowed the party down a bit. The wizard had been KOed with a potion in his hand two or three times, simply because he could never find the action to drink the damn thing, and would just get knocked right back out instead. The bard had been plinking away with Slow (which somehow always took effect when cast, only for the blackguard to make the save at the end of his next turn) and Eldritch Blast, the druid had run out of Wild Shapes to use as a HP sink, and the cleric just couldn't keep up with all the damage done. The bard was the only one up, and healed the cleric, who healed the druid, then the bard and druid got KOed again, leading to the climactic necrotic charge.

I will admit to fudging a few rolls at the end partly because a) we were out of time for the session, b) I couldn't think of any feasible way to get the party out of the trouble that losing would put them in, and "your character is brutally tortured to death and sacrificed to Gruumsh" isn't much fun, and c) this is a fight the players are gonna be telling stories about for for years.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:11 AM
Penalty Box

So I started DMing Princes of the Apocalypse now.

We've been playing for over a month now and there hasn't been a single battle yet. My group stays calm and nice so far which is cool, though I'm really more the combat than RPing type. But I try my best to roleplay those NPCs.

Currently my group has entered Feathergale Spire and it's really hard for me to play NPCs that are actually trying to deceive the PCs. My players ask a lot of questions that the NPCs would not want to answer and it's hard for me to make them reply in a way that doesn't answer the question but doesn't make them look suspicious either. In short, I suck at deception.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:55 AM
>MAGIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
So I started DMing Princes of the Apocalypse now.

We've been playing for over a month now and there hasn't been a single battle yet. My group stays calm and nice so far which is cool, though I'm really more the combat than RPing type. But I try my best to roleplay those NPCs.

Currently my group has entered Feathergale Spire and it's really hard for me to play NPCs that are actually trying to deceive the PCs. My players ask a lot of questions that the NPCs would not want to answer and it's hard for me to make them reply in a way that doesn't answer the question but doesn't make them look suspicious either. In short, I suck at deception.
You might want to try Vincent Baker's technique from Dogs in the Vineyard: there's a "mystery" of sorts going on, but the focus is on judgment rather than sleuthing, so he basically says to have npcs lie but make it obvious that they're lying ("you know how you can always tell when someone's lying in a movie?"). Obviously not right for all scenarios but might be useful here.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:47 PM
Safe Space

I'm watching a series on youtube by a guy named Matthew Colville about running D&D games. It's made me realize the biggest thing holding me back from actually building a campaign is a lack of momentum (a topic which I haven't seen him cover, though I am only on Episode #19).

Basically, I feel like I could build an adventure but then completely run out of gas for future adventures... or I'd spend six months struggling to build the next adventure, and all sense of momentum is lost.

Any advice?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:20 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Any advice?
Don't build a campaign. Building a campaign is like building a model railroad - you'll spend years planning and never actually do anything. Set up a small slice of a world with neat places to go, neat things to do while you're there, and consequences that follow. Set up a few people who want things your players' characters don't want, and who don't want things your players' characters want. Then see what happens and decide what happens next.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Have you heard the saying that "No combat plan survives contact with the enemy"? No adventure survives contact with the players. To use another pithy comment, plans are useless but planning is indispensible.

The week or two of downtime between sessions is in no small part for the DM to figure out what happens next in the adventure. Sketch out your gameworld, figure out who the villains are and what they're doing... and then once the players show up, you gotta wing it.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:07 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Unless you're running an adventure path, or explicitly putting together something like one. You'd still need to plan for unexpected detours, random encounters, etc, but heavily organized campaigns do exist. They're just an insane amount of work.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:18 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
I'm watching a series on youtube by a guy named Matthew Colville about running D&D games. It's made me realize the biggest thing holding me back from actually building a campaign is a lack of momentum (a topic which I haven't seen him cover, though I am only on Episode #19).

Basically, I feel like I could build an adventure but then completely run out of gas for future adventures... or I'd spend six months struggling to build the next adventure, and all sense of momentum is lost.

Any advice?
Matthew Colville is awesome. I forwarded his video about building a simple dungeon to friends when they decided to DM. I tend to make more complicated maps, but that's a perfect example of how to bring things together.

Don't worry about running out of adventure. Like any creative activity, producing something gets those early ideas out of your head so new, better ideas can replace them. I had no idea what I was doing when I started a year and a half ago (I had a three room dungeon and a handful of enemies planned), and now I have ideas for like 5 new campaigns. Plus, the more you actually run things the better you'll understand how good adventures are put together. You can read advice and try to anticipate how things will go, but it's not until you do it for a while that you'll understand what's really needed to prepare and why it's important. I highly advise that you just get started and don't worry about having everything prepared ahead of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Don't build a campaign. Building a campaign is like building a model railroad - you'll spend years planning and never actually do anything. Set up a small slice of a world with neat places to go, neat things to do while you're there, and consequences that follow. Set up a few people who want things your players' characters don't want, and who don't want things your players' characters want. Then see what happens and decide what happens next.
This is right on. I think of prepping as having two levels: first you create a place with some sort of history, then you populate it with people and monsters who each have their own motivations. That's really all that you need to do. Start small and build out a little at a time as the game progresses. Just run the characters based on their motivations. You can't predict what the players will do, but you can decide how your NPCs will react based on what they want.

I like to have three or so extra dungeons ready that I can swap in if things go in an unexpected direction (just a map and a few monster/item locations within), and a few characters who can be added anywhere. I have an idea of what kinds of monsters live an each region, but I generally just use kobold.club to put together fights on the fly instead of making monster tables ahead of time. I give the party a few obvious hooks (someone has been kidnapped, something has been stolen, someone wants something retrieved), but the players are in charge of deciding what they want to follow up on and how they achieve it.

The most I will actually prep is a few sessions ahead if the players have a really clear goal in mind. So right now they just arrived on a mysterious island and I'm spending a bit of time adding in some extra creatures and locations for them to explore. They're looking for a character who can help them defeat a dragon, so I asked myself why is this person on an island? Well, they study reptiles and there are some unusual reptiles here. So I'm going to populate it with some wyverns and T-Rexes and lizard folk. And there's of course a temple to lizards here (I can use one that I've already built) and it's got a lost world vibe. How did she get here? Well, she has a folding boat that she carries around with her. And maybe she climbs up a tree at night and unfolds it and it doubles as her home. How do the lizard folk feel? Are they happy she's here or annoyed by her? She's pretty smart so she probably sought them out when she arrived and gave them some sort of gift. Is there anyone else on the island? Maybe there's a hunter who has come into conflict with them. I have an idea for an ultra boastful Dwarf adventurer that I've been meaning to use, so I'll add him here. And so on.

So now I have a few locations, some characters who have conflicting goals, and some monsters they might run into. Our party moves pretty slow, so it might take a month or more to get through all of this. I'm assuming that they'll end up finding the researcher and head off toward the dragon next, but I have no idea and it's not worth preparing anything else yet.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Quote:
How do the lizard folk feel? Are they happy she's here or annoyed by her?
Most lizardfolk are painted as seeing the world in four broad categories: things you can eat, things you mate with, things you run away from, and rocks.

Other sapient creatures tend to fall into either category 1 or category 3, depending on the circumstances.

If you want deep characterization from reptile folk, maybe the Yuan-ti would be better?
Old 02-17-2017, 01:15 PM
Are You Sure About That?

But, kobolds?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:05 PM
Remembers Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
Have you heard the saying that "No combat plan survives contact with the enemy"? No adventure survives contact with the players. To use another pithy comment, plans are useless but planning is indispensible.

The week or two of downtime between sessions is in no small part for the DM to figure out what happens next in the adventure. Sketch out your gameworld, figure out who the villains are and what they're doing... and then once the players show up, you gotta wing it.
^This. Overplanning is a great way to spend a lot effort on stuff you won't end up using, if not leading to negative play experiences like obvious railroading.

One of the handiest books I've read on the subject is The Lazy Dungeon Master. Probably the most cogent advice he gives are the Rule of Three and using notecards. That is to say, for your first session, come up with three places that are important to the adventure, and write them on the front of notecards, along with three one- or two-sentence notes on them. Then come up with three important NPCs that are important to the adventure (allies, questgivers, villains, etc), and write three notes about them - motivation, role, personality - as well. You can also come up with stuff like three potential encounters or three collections of loot, if you're not good at doing that work on the fly. And that's the bones of the session.* The rest is bullshitting - leaning heavily on improvisation and stuff like fantasy name generators.

Five Room Dungeon design is also a very effective and flexible tool for the non-narrative portions of adventures. They create a very solid arc that can be comfortably completed in a single sitting - both planning them out and running them. They also interface nicely with the Rule of Three. You can spin one or two of your Location notecards out into them - or have a rough one you came up with in an idle moment, then polish it and incorporate it as a location - and, say, have one of your NPCs be the final encounter at the end of them.

Which isn't to say that keeping a notebook of ideas and plot hooks isn't great, but you shouldn't grow overly attached to your brainstorms, nor should you be sketching out epic narrative arcs. Novelists don't have to bounce off four agents of chaos when they're writing their stories.

*The notecards are handy because you can use the back to record notes if the material remains relevant past its initial use. Notes on previous interactions with players, events that might have transpired since the players last interacted with it, etc.

Last edited by Peach; 02-17-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:45 PM
King Of Space-Time

So, like that new MTG setting?

Via Polygon
Dungeons & Dragons best new sourcebook is free

Crossover with Magic: The Gathering brings a mystical, steampunk setting to D&D

Old 02-21-2017, 03:56 PM

Anyone have any thoughts about the new Mass Combat rules in this week's UA? I was thinking of using the first Mass Combat UA draft stuff soonish in my campaign, but this new revision looks completely different.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:56 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Part of me wants them to collect 4 or 5 of these into a printed book, with some extra class stuff (Artificer, a Planeswalker feat or prestige class or something, some new subclass options).
Old 02-21-2017, 04:47 PM

By "thoughts" I more meant like, does this seem better or worse than the first version? I'm not very good at parsing the math behind RPGs in the way that some folks here are.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:13 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhof View Post
By "thoughts" I more meant like, does this seem better or worse than the first version? I'm not very good at parsing the math behind RPGs in the way that some folks here are.
It's hard to say? I'm not actually very good at theorycrafting beyond the most basic expected results analysis; I prefer to dig into things that feel weird in actual play and uncover why they feel weird. And a Mass Combat system isn't something I'd ever use in an RPG I was running. If there's a big battle happening, either it's a preset narrative and the interesting thing we're playing to find out is what happens to the PCs in a small slice of it... Or the PCs are in charge, and the interesting thing we're playing to find out is the consequences of their decisions at a grand, sweeping scale.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:53 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I keep waiting for Shivam to come in here and talk about this but he keeps not coming in here and talking about it. I mean its MtG and D&D!

Though it's not Dragonlance so maybe he doesn't care... But it is MtG and he fucking eats that shit right up!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:12 AM
King Of Space-Time

Well I posted it in there too.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:16 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Well I posted it in there too.
Did he respond? I'm not subbed to the MtG thread. I'm not sure why I'm subbed to this one to be perfectly honest...
Old 02-22-2017, 11:32 AM
STATACTATON

Over the past few weeks I picked back up working on my megadungeon and it feels great!

I really like the above advice regarding adventure creation. For me it's all about creating a place and characters, and letting the PCs drive the story. Since they're almost never going to do what you expect them to, and if you force them, they won't have fun!

Tags
concentration , edition wars , gith racism , tasha's hideous slaughter