The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-16-2017, 02:21 AM
Just bear with me

You really have a way with metaphor, you know that?
(Srsly, I laughed at that way more than the trailer)
(The next big sci-fi show on TV should be like Minority Report, except people gouge out their eyes because Seth MacFarlane is on every television set)
Old 05-16-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
More likely: A few kernels of decent sci-fi poking out like bits of undigested corn from a huge, fudgy turd of "hilarity." That trailer was cause for despair.
Maybe? Probably even? But I'll still give it some benefit of the doubt. Honestly that trailer felt like the kind of Hollywood trailer where every single joke from the movie is accounted for in it. So if that's just the pilot episode, and every single joke from it is there, then you've got a lot of airtime in between to fill. Also all shows suck at the beginning, so after giving it some time to find its legs, maybe we can get something decent from it? I dunno. Again, probably being too optimistic, but I think it's neat we're getting something like this to begin with.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:47 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Hurley invented the Borg though. So: he had contributions.
Sure. He was also responsible for the re-introduction of the Romulans and partially responsible for Lore. He eventually ceased being Roddenberry's yes-man and switched from being too insistent on "Roddenberry's vision" (even when Roddenberry was ok deviating from it) to arguing the Roddenberry's creative guidelines lacked dramatic storytelling potential.

He was also largely responsible for McFadden and several writers leaving the series and for the "You should forgive dudes creeping on you" episode of "Galaxy's Child".

The one-two punch of Roddenberry and Hurley (with Roddenberry's lawyer Maizlish in-between) can be directly blamed for the unevenness of the first two seasons of TNG.

---

Re: Orville. I smiled once? Seems to have the typical joke ratio for a McFarlane production for me where I can watch it in the background and not regret it. Yay?
Old 05-16-2017, 07:00 AM
For blood and gold

Also, for those who never check the meatspace games forum, we're voting on our next Top 50 list and I have (once again) proposed Top 50 Star Trek Episodes (vote on that if you want to see it).
Old 05-16-2017, 08:46 AM
the :motion: stands

I felt there was one good joke in the trailer, and that's only because I imagined the lines being said by Rick and Morty and all of a sudden they worked (downplaying a great technological feat by saying "so it's an anti-banana ray")
Old 05-16-2017, 08:52 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
More likely: A few kernels of decent sci-fi poking out like bits of undigested corn from a huge, fudgy turd of "hilarity." That trailer was cause for despair.
Yeah. Expecting this to be some sort of stealth way to get quality sci-fi on the air is... I don't know, what's the next optimism level up from "wildly"?

And I don't even mind McFarlane that much. As RH said, he makes perfectly acceptable background noise.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:54 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

OK, just watched two serviceable but still pretty silly TNG episodes. First, Picard is being plagued by a slightly toned down Ferengi guy and Picard has headaches. I don't quite buy the sci-fi conceit of "we cured headaches" but I'll say there's a kernel of a better episode in the last act. Unfortunately, I feel it would be more interesting if Picard either did have something to feel guilty about or is at least tricked into it.

The next episode has Mr. Mxyzptlk, who starts to play war games with the crew, gets tired of that plot and then makes Riker omnipotent. Because they wasted the first have with a premise that fizzles out, Riker suddenly gets really up his own ass with his powers and goes from sad that he didn't use them to save a young girl to smug bratty god (OK, he was always pretty smug). This feels like two episodes jammed together with neither being given time to breathe or do anything interesting. I would like to see the crew try to deal with an unfair game to prove their worth or Riker deal with godhood in their own episodes. Instead, it's just a bunch of stuff that happened.

Also, can anyone explain why it is called "Hide and Q". No one is hiding nor seeking, there's no pun and I guess at best there's a game that in no way resembles the game hide and seek. It's not even TV tag.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Your life is forfeit

Re: Discovery trailer.

I don't know, man. I just don't know. I hope it turns out well.

I thought those Klingons were meant to be Remans at first.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:23 PM

nuKlingons look really bad, and the jumpsuits make no sense for the time frame (we know what Starfleet uniforms looked like 10 years before TOS, thanks to The Cage/The Menagerie) so it's pretty clear to me this show is going to play fast and loose with canon. But everything else looks really good. Also, easy link for those who haven't seen it yet.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:38 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quality of the trailer and its costumes aside, it would be a terrible idea to let one two parter from the original series dictate your costume design. They were right not to treat that as set in stone, regardless of whether or not the costumes they created are good or not.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:48 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Why didn't I know Michelle Yeoh was in this show???
Old 05-17-2017, 03:48 PM
120 Days

The costumes look great. Like an extension of the Enterprise era uniforms. Klingons look weird, but like the Into Darkness Klingons. I'm ok with it.

EXCITE
Old 05-17-2017, 03:55 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

BREAKING: The creators of Discovery have released an official statement regarding why these costumes are different from the ones used in two tv episodes from 1966:

Old 05-17-2017, 04:10 PM
EMOJO JOJO

I like the costumes I think
Old 05-17-2017, 04:20 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Uniforms are fine. Klingons look terrible though.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
Why didn't I know Michelle Yeoh was in this show???
I posted about it when the news broke several pages back, but that news blew over like a wet fart I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Uniforms are fine. Klingons look terrible though.
I agree, the uniforms look great. I just take it, coupled with several other things, and indicator that this show clearly isn't as interested in keeping canon as rigid as say, the Okadas would have.

The design for the Klingons are actually very interesting, but ya, they don't look at all how Klingons ought to. I've read internet rumors about how these are "Ancient Klingons" and that would be an interesting way to spin things, but who knows?
Old 05-17-2017, 04:39 PM
120 Days

No spin. just ignore. Like - klingons look different because art direction. The explanation was funny joke in ds9 but lame Ent eps. Like I don't need a season arc to tell me why TNG Roms look dumb as hell and why Nero (technically a TNG era Rom) looks different still. It's ok. It doesn't matter much.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:08 PM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Also, for those who never check the meatspace games forum, we're voting on our next Top 50 list and I have (once again) proposed Top 50 Star Trek Episodes (vote on that if you want to see it).
*mentally starts preparing her list, irregardless of voting results*
Old 05-17-2017, 07:23 PM
More than two problems

Watching the two teasers back to back, I have just one opinion:

I can't believe the Seth MacFarlane parody show actually pulled it off better than Discovery.

Say what you will about Orville, but at least you can actually tell what it's supposed to be about. Discovery's trailer is just a series of Hollywood-esque clips that convey nothing, except perhaps for a concerted doubling-down on Trek 09's incoherent visuals, lens flares and all. (With a dash of clinical color-blindness for taste, specifically protanopia. How ironic that a franchise whose original series helped demonstrate the range of color televisions has come to this.)
Old 05-18-2017, 05:43 AM
Your life is forfeit

Yeah, my issue isn't about superficial appearances (the uniforms are fine, the ship looks nice, and although I think it's goofy that they'd throw out the iconic film/TNG-era Klingon design in favor of Into Darkness' generic-looking monkey-goblins, I'm ultimately "whatever" about it). It's that the dialogue was clangingly trite, and there's no narrative through-line for this trailer. It's a lot of ominous portents and mumbly musings, but nothing about it says, "This is what 'Discovery' is about." I'm willing to take this as simply an inept trailer from a weak editor, but it does make me concerned. Star Trek has squandered enough goodwill over the years that it's no longer enough for something's hook to be simply, "Hey, it's Star Trek."
Old 05-18-2017, 07:33 AM
whatever it takes

I'm feelingly similarly to Parish on this.

I know Star Trek 2009 is held in high regard around here but I never really warmed to it, as it seemed to me like a loud, frantic, slick sci-fi action movie with Star Trek flavoring sprinkled on top rather than any kind of inheritor to the thoughtful, introspective soul of Star Trek. Maybe that's unfair of me and I should try to just enjoy the film on its own merits, but that's a difficult mental separation for me to make. This trailer gives me that same sort of sense, even if it's tonally different from the Abramsverse films: here comes something that uses Star Trek trappings and terminology but doesn't seem particularly Trek-like at its core. I'm still curious about this show and hope to be proven wrong, so I guess we'll see.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:40 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post

I know Star Trek 2009 is held in high regard around here but I never really warmed to it, as it seemed to me like a loud, frantic, slick sci-fi action movie with Star Trek flavoring sprinkled on top rather than any kind of inheritor to the thoughtful, introspective soul of Star Trek. Maybe that's unfair of me and I should try to just enjoy the film on its own merits, but that's a difficult mental separation for me to make. This trailer gives me that same sort of sense, even if it's tonally different from the Abramsverse films: here comes something that uses Star Trek trappings and terminology but doesn't seem particularly Trek-like at its core. I'm still curious about this show and hope to be proven wrong, so I guess we'll see.
Like I get ya - but each series has had a severely different voice, even with Piller being MVP for 3 of them. I'm super excited and I like how everything looks. I guess the trailer said nothing of consequence, and yeah that's true, but it was good to see a look at the characters and design of things after years of fraught production. My biggest concern is if they can actually justify the prequel status. A lot of issues people are having would be gone or lessened if it took place post Nemesis. Maybe they don't want to contradict ST:O which until a new thing in that time frame is defacto canon?

I'm excite for this and Orville (hopefully the red shirt deaths [ugh - I know this doesnt really happen so much] are as over the top as that western he made) - but grain of salt. I have multiple star trek tattoos.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:43 AM
Safe Space

I'm just hoping they're just using the JJ Abrams style to fill the trailer and to draw in the film audience, and the actual show itself is as introspective and thoughtful as previous Trek.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 AM
Smudged

Bryan Fuller loves being introspective and thoughtful, so hopefully his influence is felt, even without him as showrunner.

The dialogue is hokey, but I thought the trailer did a good job of sketching out the main character. She's a human raised by vulcans, and grew up listening to adults tell her she doesn't belong. As an officer in Starfleet, she has trouble trusting the judgment of her superiors, and has no trouble voicing her disapproval. Her mentor is far more trusting, a true believer in the ideals of Starfleet, even to the point of death.

Then something something the Klingons attack something something death something Star Trek
Old 05-18-2017, 10:05 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

It seems like it was a trailer for the pilot... but JUST the pilot. It's all about the other ship, rather than the Discovery itself. At least that's what it seems like.

And, yeah, I like that the uniforms seemed like a bit of a derivation from Enterprise. The Cage is barely in continuity at the best of times.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Bertolli?!?...

James Frain as an insufferable vulcan is some inspired casting, but that trailer was a pretty massive let-down otherwise. I wanted a Mass Effect 1 trailer, not a Mass Effect 2/3 trailer.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:24 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post

The thing that Star Trek 2009 did right was the character interactions. It made their relationships seem believable and gave them dialogue you really thought they would have. Of course, that was few and far between all the shiny actions spectacles and lens flares and action one-liners, but what was there clearly shows that they understood that the relationship of the crew is what made the Star Trek movies tick.

I have to agree with the Zaidyer-Parish-Vaeran criticisms of the Discovery trailer. Despite being two minutes long, it felt like a teaser. I really don't have any sense of what the show will be about. I didn't pick up on most of the character sketching that Sprite did, instead I just got cut after cut after cut and was left with, "Huh, I guess this is a science fiction show."

But it's just a trailer and I'm still a huge Star Trek fanboy, so it isn't like it will keep me from watching.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:47 AM
whatever it takes

Quote:
The thing that Star Trek 2009 did right was the character interactions. It made their relationships seem believable and gave them dialogue you really thought they would have. Of course, that was few and far between all the shiny actions spectacles and lens flares and action one-liners, but what was there clearly shows that they understood that the relationship of the crew is what made the Star Trek movies tick.
Yeah, fair enough, and I agree that that was the strongest part of Trek 09. It just made me wish that I could have had those characters transplanted into a smarter movie (which I basically got with Star Trek Beyond.)
Old 05-18-2017, 01:12 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
The thing that Star Trek 2009 did right was the character interactions. It made their relationships seem believable and gave them dialogue you really thought they would have, except louder.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:43 PM
An Animal of Joy

Looks good, can't wait to watch it.

I had YEARS to finish watching all of the extant Treks, but I'm still about 1.5 seasons away from finishing Voyager and only like 5 eps into Enterprise. Oh well.

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher