The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-28-2017, 09:49 AM
Safe Space

Data gets lots of screen time in Season 7. "Thine Own Self" is pretty good, but then it's followed by "Masks"...
Old 04-28-2017, 01:19 PM
Mystery Contraption

I've said often that getting Brent Spiner to dress/act like a nincompoop is the key to Great Star Trek, but damned if Masks isn't sitting there, proving me wrong.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:55 PM
Space dad

Masaka is waking!
Old 04-29-2017, 09:04 AM
Your life is forfeit

"Chain of Command":

- That was very good.
- Captain Jellico was Dick Jones in RoboCop, and just a plain ol' dick here.
- I assume they kept casting David Warner in better and better alien roles as an apology for putting him in Star Trek V.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:08 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Between CoC and Lower Decks, it seems as though they were addressing a lot of complaints fans had about the show (EG, "why is Troi allowed to dress like that?")

Peter David basically adopted Jellico in his Trek novels after the fact. He came up with a good spin on him: his mentor was someone who told him tales of how Kirk would submit bullshit reports just to fuck with Starfleet Command (EG, Space Abraham Lincoln), and so he determined that the sensible officers had to work extra hard to make up for it.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:32 PM
Safe Space

I just watched "Devil's Due," and I had an idea.

A Dirty Dozen-style spinoff of this episode, and others like it, starring a group of criminals that had been apprehended by the Enterprise and on DS9: Ardra from this episode, Berlinghoff Rasmussen from "A Matter of Time", Martus Mazur from DS9's "Rivals", etc. They'd get recruited by Starfleet Intelligence (or Section 31) to do dirty work that Starfleet officers couldn't, in exchange for pardons.

I don't think anything's been done like, this, but I could be wrong. There's nothing on Memory Alpha (or Beta) to that effect.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:59 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Deep Space Nine is hitting some pretty high points now that I'm halfway in Season 5. I've officially hit the point where the Dominion War starts, and I remarked on Twitter how similar it felt to a Game of Thrones plot-arc; there's all kinds of allegiances and alliances going on, and it's also got a lot of intersecting characters that have been built up for five seasons now (Gul Dukat! Garak! Man!!!). I am excited to see what's in store for this story after 2.5 more seasons worth of TV, though I did look ahead and got spoiled on what happens to a major character.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:40 AM
Out Of Warranty

I know this show was produced in other times, when we weren't as socially conscious, and that it was written mostly by male nerds for male nerds... But all that only explains Galaxy's Child, in no way justifies it.

Not only does the episode lets an Internet Stalker off the hook lightly, it even has the gall to suggest that the object of his misguided affections was at fault! Seriously, at the end Geordi apologizes for "just being nice" and Dr. Brahms apologizes back for having a private life. The show wants us to be sympathetic to Geordi without him earning it - and I prefer to think they want us to forgive him just because he's a cast member, because the alternative is to think that the writers do think Geordi did nothing wrong but being "carried away" and being a nice guy. Ugh.

Not cool, TNG. Not cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
I just watched "Devil's Due," and I had an idea.
I would certainly watch that! I'm surprised there are no books about something like it in the expanded universe.

Also, I must say that I really, really admire Ardra. It takes a special kind of hubris to try to con an entire civilization. And she'd gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those meddlesome kids!
Old 05-02-2017, 04:43 AM
Mystery Contraption

I love the implication that this wasn't the first time she conned an entire planet by pretending to be Mephistopheles.

To say nothing of the fact that the day was saved by Picard suing the devil.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Your life is forfeit

Whew, the quality level is back up again with "Aquiel," "Face of the Enemy," and "Tapestry" (one of the few episodes beyond season 2 I actually caught during its original broadcast).

I'm currently working on "Birthright", and I love when I recognize guest actors. In this case it turns out:

1. Shrek has a descendent living on Deep Space 9, and
2. He is secretly Zefram Cochrane!?
Old 05-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot James Cromwell made yet another TNG appearance under makeup. (you mebbe also remember him in the Brian-Dennehy-in-First-Blood role from "The Hunted")

"Face of the Enemy" is really good, which almost never happens with Troi spotlight episodes.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:48 AM
McBear

Romulan Troi vs. Dr. Chakwas!
Old 05-03-2017, 06:17 AM
Your life is forfeit

Oh right, Cromwell was in one of the dumber episodes of season three as well.

I like when the guests show up under makeup with weird voices, because it takes me a while to realize, "I feel like I know this guy from somewhere... ohhhhh, it's him." (Though sometimes it's tricky — there was a Romulan politician in the Spock two-parter that I could have sworn was Hugo Weaving, but nope.)
Old 05-03-2017, 07:33 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

That's because Hugo Weaving pretty much is a Romulan even without makeup.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Your life is forfeit

No but seriously, this dude is a dead ringer + makeup.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Dang, that is uncanny.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:20 PM

I do not like how TNG gave Romulans face-ridges. They were cooler when they were spooky-Vulcans you couldn't tell the difference between. It made for a better parallel to IRL geopolitics.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:26 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I do not like how TNG gave Romulans face-ridges. They were cooler when they were spooky-Vulcans you couldn't tell the difference between. It made for a better parallel to IRL geopolitics.
Agreed. Also creepiest Romulan is Nanclus.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:27 PM
Your life is forfeit

I, uh, what? The Klingon Empire is jointly ruled by a clone of Kahless!? How had I never heard of this particular plot development? Good grief.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
I, uh, what? The Klingon Empire is jointly ruled by a clone of Kahless!? How had I never heard of this particular plot development? Good grief.
It's a fact they pay lip-service to a few times later in DS9 when Worf needs to call on his Klingon contacts, but IIRC the amount of power vested into him is basically that of a ceremonial, figurehead constitutional monarch.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:49 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Agreed. Also creepiest Romulan is Nanclus.
Hey, they never actually named him in the film. He was just "Romulan Ambassador".

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
It's a fact they pay lip-service to a few times later in DS9 when Worf needs to call on his Klingon contacts, but IIRC the amount of power vested into him is basically that of a ceremonial, figurehead constitutional monarch.
Yeah. The role of Emperor in Klingon Politics is the about the same as in present-day Japan.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:08 PM
120 Days

Really? I'll have to rewatch and report back.

Internet tells me that the fed prez directly calls him Nanclus.

E:
Old 05-08-2017, 10:42 PM

God damn, Star Trek VI was such a friggin amazing movie. That might just be bias talking however, as it was the first Star Trek film I watched in theaters (that I remember; I probably went to see V but was too young to remember it).
Old 05-08-2017, 11:22 PM
Space dad

No, it's really good. Extended is even better since it fleshes out the conspiracy a little more. And that score.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Really? I'll have to rewatch and report back.

Internet tells me that the fed prez directly calls him Nanclus.

E:
Oh right. It was the Klingon Ambassador that never got an on-screen name, even though he appeared in two movies.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:03 AM
Your life is forfeit

The Riker clone episode probably would have felt a lot fresher if it hadn't aired the week immediately following the Kahless clone episode. What a weird production/scheduling decision.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:48 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
No, it's really good. Extended is even better since it fleshes out the conspiracy a little more. And that score.
Yup. Meyer knew exactly how to make the TOS crew tick. Kind of a shame they never gave him a TNG movie - I think his mortality fixation would've worked well if played off Picard.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:45 PM
who's she

Suddenly curious if Thomas Riker gets into chairs the same way William does. Wonder if he did it on DS9.

Kira, at the end of Defiant: And another thing, the way you sit down is weird. Cut that out.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Me and JBear are watching Star Trek: The Next Generation. We watched "The Last Outpost". This may be the best episode of Star Trek ever. In it, the Ferengi use electrified pool noodles to attack the crew, then sort of dance around the rest of the episode. They never stop moving and they act like villains from a live action Christmas special from the 70's. The kind that no one remembers but is probably uploaded onto youtube and there's a lot of auto-tracking.

Also, some ghost shows up in the last act and calls Ryker a barbarian but then he answers a riddle and everything is cool.

I really want to read Octo's review of this episode, but I don't want to sift through pages and pages. Anyone got a quick link for me?
Old 05-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
I really want to read Octo's review of this episode, but I don't want to sift through pages and pages. Anyone got a quick link for me?
Good, because I don't want you sifting through this thread and hitting SPOILERS! Anyway, here's Octo's review. If you want to follow along with his impressions going forward, you'd do well to remember that page of the thread.

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher