The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 08-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Lucky In Love

Nice! I really like your dialogue in the last few pages so the rewrite must be working.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
Nice! I really like your dialogue in the last few pages so the rewrite must be working.
I typically do three or four passes on dialogues before I even attempt to translate them to English. They usually start pretty verbose, and then I make them shorter, and then I make them shorter still when I add them to the page in Manga Studio. Glad to know they make sense!
Old 09-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Random guy

Page 13 is up! End of the scene started two or three pages ago, start of the next one (which will be pretty short).

I'm not sure when the next page will show up. Hopefully next Sunday (since tomorrow is a holiday, and I would like to get the pencils done, at least), but no guarantees. I'm supposed to get back to my 4 day/week schedule at work, but without a specific start date on this, and my boss is already talking about assigning me to two different projects (and I expect both of them will require travel to the West coast), so who knows if/when it's going to happen.

Next week: Captain Perra gets a status report from her wife regarding the investigation on the nano-machines.

If I can give myself a little pat on the back, I find this view quite impressive:
Old 09-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Lucky In Love

Aw, those guys are sweethearts. Nice job planning out the next 9 pages. Looking forward to the next one!
Old 09-06-2016, 05:48 AM
Random guy

Those 9 are from the previous version of the script that I left there. The current iteration is only written up to page 15 (well, 16 if I include the cover page). I expect the final script to have between 25 and 30 pages. So, almost 50% done

To be perfectly honest, I expected to give up before page 10. The fact that I started working on page 14 yesterday is kind of amazing to me. The fact that I still want to work on it and keep having new ideas for scenes and stories is even better.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:26 PM
Random guy

New page is up! End of the scene started in the previous page.

Next week: Nudity and post-sex talk! If all goes according to plan, I should make it available next Monday.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:47 PM
Random guy

New *NSFW* page is up. If features nudity, so if you are afraid of looking at penises, you might want to avoid reading it. No sex though. Just good old fashioned gratuitous nudity. Beginning of a short scene, which will be over on the next page. I actually thought of extending it, but decided to keep the discussion for the end of the episode.

Also: I woke up last night at 3:30AM with a great idea for the short intermission between episodes 01 and 02. I've already started writing the script.

Speaking of script: The dialogues for next week are not done yet. I have them mostly written, but I need to separate them into panels and do the thumbnails. It's a bit stressful. Luckily, unlike this week, next week's page should not have complicated character poses. I did struggle a bit this week, and had to lookup some photo references.

Next week: Database security techno-babble!
Old 10-01-2016, 07:18 AM
Random guy

New *NSFW* page is up. Again, full frontal nudity of a clueless Migraï.

I know I said this week would feature database security techno-babble, but I decided to change it as I was writing it at the coffee shop late last week.

Next week: Database security techno-babble, for real this time... I think? I need to review the script. ETA is October 10th, 2016.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:55 PM
Random guy

New totally SFW page is up.

Techno-babble is in. I realized as I was rewriting it for the fifth time that I should have asked the family expert on how intrusion detection actually works. Or, you know, read his master's thesis on the subject at least. Welp, too late now.

Next week: Migraï is back for a short scene, where he ends up being very satisfied with himself.

And now I need a break. And cake. And the cake is totally not a lie.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Lucky In Love

I finally caught up. If you hadn't said yourself that Migrai is the protagonist, I would have a hard time deciding who is in the wrong in this deception. Partly that's because I don't think we've been told what the object of the deception is. Or did I miss it?

Anyway, I like the fact that the guys seem to have to break the rules of this emerging bureaucracy in order to get anything done.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:42 PM
Random guy

No, it should be fairly clear by now what's actually going on (and who the adversary actually is). Emphasis on "should" Obviously, it's not. I'm going to spend some time next week to re-read the whole thing and see what I can do to clear everything up before the end of the chapter episode.

My original idea was to do a Mission:Impossible style story (the old series from the 60's and 70's, not the stupid Tom Cruise action movies) and start right before its conclusion. It was a very tight rope to walk on from the get go, and I may have been overly optimistic thinking I could pull it off (in two languages). Still, I will do my best to make it clear before the end.

The Fleet itself is rotten to the core. I expect there will be a lot of rule breaking in the future.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:37 AM
Random guy

New mostly SFW page is up. Migraï shows that he can be kind of a jerk if he wants to. In this case, he does. It also serves his plan in general.

My favorite part in the original Ghost in the Shell movie is the part where nothing happens, where all you see are scenes from the city, with the rain, and some pretty haunting music. I was bored out of my mind the first time I saw it. And then, I don't know, something happened (I got older, probably), and my opinion did a 180.

The next page is pretty much that, a page where nothing happens, that serves as a pause for the final part, and illustrate the passage of time.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:15 PM
Random guy

New NSFW page is available. Nothing much to add, really. I kinda like it, actually.

Next week: Commander Anna Kraus receives a good news!

This week, Socrates stopped by to lend a hand paw!

Last edited by bobbywatson; 10-26-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:41 PM
Random guy

Page 20 (slightly NSFW) is online! This should be the last NSFW page in the first episode (which may actually end with a page count higher than 30, I don't know yet).

As I said in the short post underneath, the comic will be on break next week. I will totally use that break to binge on Mozart in the Jungle, and see how much I can write for NaNoWriMo.

Next page: Commander Kraus finally gets what she wants, while Ensign Silver goes for a late night snack.

Edit: Fun fact: I realized earlier today, as I was washing dishes and listening to a podcast about the history of tattoos, that I had forgotten to draw ensign Silver's tattoo (and scar) on page 19. It's all fixed now.

Last edited by bobbywatson; 11-01-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:06 PM
Random guy

Page 21 is up! It's all SFW.

As I said in another thread, I lacked motivation last weekend, after having lost the little faith I had in mankind in general. I still haven't recovered that faith (and I doubt I will), but at least I got some motivation back.

The next few updates will be further apart than I would like, due to two upcoming trips (one of them unconfirmed). The next page should be up on December 5th.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:45 PM
Banned

I'm becoming quite suspicious of Migrai.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:32 AM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guild View Post
I'm becoming quite suspicious of Migrai.
He is acting like a manipulative jerk, I admit.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:43 PM
Random guy

Page 22 is now available. Things go south for Ensign Silver!

Next page: Still undecided. I had an idea, it's written, but I'm not sure it's relevant, and it's kinda dumb, so I will probably skip it. ETA for page 23 is December 18th, 2016.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Random guy

Things did not got very smoothly over the past few weeks, had to spend some time to review my resume, yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway, page 23 is up! I ended up going mostly with my original idea, and I will rework its dumbness in the next scene. Also I had to export it from Manga Studio three times because I kept doing stupid things.

In page 24, Migraï does some eavesdropping. If all goes well, it should hit Monday, January 2nd, 2017.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:55 PM
Banned

He did his job. Taking the fall is never fun, I know from personal experience.

Migrai better have a good reason! Derek is a good dude IMO
Old 12-28-2016, 06:37 AM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guild View Post
Migrai better have a good reason!
He does! And I feel sorry for Derek too He didn't really know what he was getting into.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:30 PM
Random guy

Page 24 is up!

Page 25 (in which Ensign Silver tries to piss off Commander Kraus even more) should land at some point next week.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Lucky In Love

Great looking page, the brig is a more interesting space than some of the other boxier areas we've seen.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Random guy

That was pretty much my intention, actually. I was tired of right angles and things looking boring as all hell. Took twice as much time to create the model in SketchUp, but it was worth it.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:23 AM
Random guy

Page 25 is up!

Page 26 will be delayed for work reasons. Migraï will finally get what he wants in it!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Lucky In Love

Great dialogue on that page, I really enjoyed it.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:42 PM
Random guy

Thanks! I need to fix that typo though...
Old 01-29-2017, 05:31 AM
Random guy

Page 26 is up!

If all goes well, page 27 should be up February 6th, 2017. In it, Captain Perra wants to know!

Also, I will need to spend some time to switch my webserver from a Raspberry Pi 1 to a Raspberry Pi 3 at some point. This should speed up the website a bit. I also need to take some time to re-export the first few pages.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:45 PM
Random guy

Page 27 is up!

This one... took slightly longer than I expected. Also I went back to full-time at work, which did not help one bit. And I took a day off last weekend.

Page 28 does what I should have done all along, and tells the story from the beginning! Apparently, telling a story starting from the middle is only a good idea if you are already a master storyteller. Lesson learned!
Old 02-23-2017, 09:15 PM
Banned

N-no this is REALLY good.

Maybe I don't know whats good?! You are insulting me!

I think
the captain's wife is doing something to threaten Earth or the station in the opinion of Migrai, who knows the nano machines in the shipping containers can only be spy work, learning enemy logistics for attack planning and cordoning as well as pillaging, perhaps pirate work, and the captain's wife is involved in selling the information.

I'm hoping the conflict is political because I'm that weird guy who enjoyed Dune in spite of its horrible sexist memes

Last edited by Guild; 02-23-2017 at 09:28 PM.