The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 01-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Scary Punk Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Oh. Well that would make a lot more sense. Still curious about the beers, though!
From left to right: Anchor Brewing Meyer Lemon Lager, Laurelwood Brewing Rando IPA, Big Sky Brewing Moose Drool Brown Ale, and Iron Horse Brewing Irish Death.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:33 PM
Scary Punk Ghost

The 50 Worst Beers in the World
Old 01-26-2017, 10:36 AM
Not a Beer

American Pale Lagers: for when you just need some cheap alcohol you can chug.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:49 PM
We just don't know.

motherfuck it all

I had a whim and decided to tally the fucking IPAs in my local convenience's beer selection.

I only counted six-packs, not the 22ozers or 12-packs. I also excluded big-label macro/import beers, ciders, or hard sodas.

Of 109 beers available in six-packs to choose from

49 were labeled IPA.

I didn't even count any of the "pale ales" or "red ales," many of which I knew for a fact to be as hoppy as an IPA should be before Hop Creep ruined an entire generation of craft beer

I don't even dislike hops. Citrusy, juicy hops built into a beer with an actual base of good beer beneath it can be nice. I'm drinking that right now.

But enough. Enough is fucking enough. THAT'S ENOUGH. NO MORE IPA. NO MORE HOPS. LEAVE IT. JUST FUCKING LEAVE IT.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:06 PM
Time is Luck

sorry dude

true beer nerds know that the only true beers are stouts that taste like differential grease or IPAs that taste like riot gas
Old 02-16-2017, 08:52 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
sorry dude

true beer nerds know that the only true beers are stouts that taste like differential grease or IPAs that taste like riot gas
This is an unfair oversimplification that ignores American Sours with flavor profiles like "potato chips and rice vinegar" and "grapefruit soaked in bilge water".
Old 02-16-2017, 09:10 AM

Too many lackluster IPAs out there.

One that I think is not lackluster is Sierra Nevada Tropical IPA. Tasty and smells like pakalolo. It's available in this year's Beer Camp.

Also, looks like Elysian has started distributing in Indiana. Anything in particular that I should keep an eye out for? I've seen Space Dust and I have a bottle of Split Shot waiting patiently in the fridge.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:23 AM
Hot sports journalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
But enough. Enough is fucking enough. THAT'S ENOUGH. NO MORE IPA. NO MORE HOPS. LEAVE IT. JUST FUCKING LEAVE IT.
AH HA HA HA HA! MORE! MORE HOPS FOR ME! I AM THE HOP LORD!
Old 02-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Hops are the preferred method of hiding the taste of your shitty beer.

Their strength can hide a multitude of sins. I'm surprised American brewers didn't jump on them earlier.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:14 PM
Is there not one thing

And not all hoppy beers are created equal. Take Heady Topper, the consensus best IPA in America. Is it a hop bomb? Yes! But all the flavors are balanced around that piney hit, and the end result is a complex, lasting taste that doesn't feel like someone sprayed you in the mouth with hop extract.

Contrast with your more mediocre IIPAs, where the tasting notes read something like "Slight lacing in tulip glass, nose of cut lawn and burning tires. On the first sip, the senior brewer shot me in the kidneys with less-lethal crowd control munitions. Pretty mild for the style."
Old 02-16-2017, 01:29 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
And not all hoppy beers are created equal. Take Heady Topper, the consensus best IPA in America. Is it a hop bomb? Yes! But all the flavors are balanced around that piney hit, and the end result is a complex, lasting taste that doesn't feel like someone sprayed you in the mouth with hop extract.

Contrast with your more mediocre IIPAs, where the tasting notes read something like "Slight lacing in tulip glass, nose of cut lawn and burning tires. On the first sip, the senior brewer shot me in the kidneys with less-lethal crowd control munitions. Pretty mild for the style."
I'm sorry but Pliny the Elder is the best IPA in America.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Hot sports journalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I'm sorry but Pliny the Elder is the best IPA in America.
Ha ha, OK.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Ha ha, OK.
Shut up CANADIAN.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:30 PM
Hot sports journalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Shut up CANADIAN.
Even I wouldn't argue that the best IPAs are Canadian. But California IPAs are, to be frank, about 10-15 years out of date at this point. Pliny is a shining example of the classic West Coast DIPA, a very well-performed interpretation of the style that inspired countless imitators. In fact, it inspired so many imitators that it doesn't really distinguish itself from its peers at this point. When you make a shitty West Coast IPA, you get the kind that AV was lampooning. When you make a great one, you get Pliny.

But the East Coast is where the real hop action is these days. Heady Topper introduced the concept of the softer, balanced IPA with less bitterness (and is, in my opinion, the best beer in the world). Since then, dozens of New England breweries have taken that ball and run with it, leading to the creation of the NEIPA and/or Juice IPA. These are pretty far removed from the classic West Coast interpretation in that they are completely opaque, have a super-soft mouthfeel and very low bitterness (so as to let the hop flavors shine through a bit more). My favorites are the ones that straddle the line, like Heady Topper and Second Fiddle, but the whale hunters are all about those juicy, Orangina-looking IPAs. I certainly don't turn my nose up at them (or at a really good West Coast IPA), but I think there's real magic in those few beers that walk the line, toning down bitterness and bringing out complex malt-hop interactions (juice IPAs are practically malt-free in their flavor profiles).

And that's way more analysis of the IPA than anyone on this forum ever asked for.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:01 PM
Scary Punk Ghost

All beers are good. (Except for Natural whatever and its ilk, obviously)

But the real travesty here is that the IPA/Lager/Stout trifecta has kept breweries from even bothering with porters.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:09 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
And that's way more analysis of the IPA than anyone on this forum ever asked for.
Keep talking I'm so close
Old 02-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Is there not one thing

Sip of Sunshine is my go-to example for the Orangina IPA (bless u for adding this to my lexicon) and it's a fantastic beer! Your thoughts are my own in terms of the West Coast IIPA and its progeny. As an example: In OK we have Coop F-5, with 100+ IBUs, and it will blow the tastebuds right off your tongue and ruin your dinner if you're not careful. That's in Oklahoma! Maybe a Stone Ruination or Arrogant Bastard would have been revelatory to someone whose 'good beer' experience was centered on traditional Euro brews or milder American stuff from the 90s, but these days even the most extreme flavors are played out.

Second case in point: Prairie BOMB!, a 13% IRS aged on coffee, cocoa, and chipotle chiles. It's just too much beer! Even Old Rasputin seems tame compared to this stuff. How much farther can flavors really go?

So it makes perfect sense to me that subtler, more skillful stuff is all the rage these days.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Scary Punk Ghost

If you're going to drink West-Coast IPAs Deschutes' Fresh Squeezed and Fremont's Interurban are the two I would recommend. The Deschutes is of the juicy type, and it's especially good on tap. The Fremont has more pronounced hops, but without going overboard.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:55 PM
Hot sports journalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Sip of Sunshine is my go-to example for the Orangina IPA (bless u for adding this to my lexicon) and it's a fantastic beer!
SoS is downright traditional compared to the real juice bombs out there (I'm sorry, I spend time on a beer forum - it's where I learned to brew). I've had stuff from Lush and Fiddlehead in Vermont and from Trillium on Boston and it's a different world. Not a world that I prefer, necessarily, but definitely a much hazier one. There is exactly one brewery in Quebec that makes this kind of beer, and that's nice if only because you can't buy American beer without crossing the border in this province. Quebec's IPA game is overall pretty weak, so I appreciate anyone from around here who is doing as decent job no matter what their take on the style is.

Speaking of porters, Les Trois Mousquetaires makes one of the best Baltic porters in the country. Folks who are discouraged by the prevalence of hops need to take a trip to Quebec - we've got basically everything but good hoppy beers.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
SoS is downright traditional compared to the real juice bombs out there (I'm sorry, I spend time on a beer forum - it's where I learned to brew). I've had stuff from Lush and Fiddlehead in Vermont and from Trillium on Boston and it's a different world. Not a world that I prefer, necessarily, but definitely a much hazier one.
When I get out to New England next I'll have to try those out; they sound really interesting.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:23 AM

I hate that I'm made to feel like a bad person for hating beer. I wish beer tasted better, and I wish it didn't make me feel like shit.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 AM
Not a Beer

Don't listen to bad people, drink what you like.

Anyway, I'm really not into mega hops, so I'm super glad that our local hometown brewery declines to participate in the American hops arms race. I can even drink their IPAs, though I still prefer other styles. I'm not sure I've ever had the "juice bomb" style IPA Mike's describing, though, that sounds intriguing.

AV, I would totally drink that Prarie Bomb. I love ridiculously huge beers that are basically an entire meal and also dessert.

Tags
alcohol , beer , beverages , bitter is better , top of the hops , your favorite beer sucks