The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 04-20-2017, 09:30 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Time to cancel the top 50 tabletop game thread, as I just found the actual best board game:

Old 04-20-2017, 09:41 AM
Goodbye!

I got my sweaty Canadian hands on the Seeso show THROUGH MEANS, and am enjoying it very much.

We are Griffin!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

Bit surprised that nobody here's mentioned the new McElroy-brand podcast. The Kind Rewind, featuring Travis and Theresa rewatching shows they loved growing up, but hadn't really seen since and seeing how they hold up. As implied by the title, it's very positive.

First episode covered the first few episodes of Buffy (which Travis is a big fan of, and Theresa hadn't seen before).
Old 04-21-2017, 05:58 AM
It's all good, man

I'm just starting to catch up on Cool Games Inc. It is high quality.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:20 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Bit surprised that nobody here's mentioned the new McElroy-brand podcast. The Kind Rewind, featuring Travis and Theresa rewatching shows they loved growing up, but hadn't really seen since and seeing how they hold up. As implied by the title, it's very positive.
I walk while podcast listening a literal 7.5 hours every week (45 minute commute twice per weekday), and I still don't have enough time to listen to the collected McElroy podcast output. My bloated podcast hole can't handle any more! It can't!
Old 04-25-2017, 06:20 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Just finished The Suffering Game, and... that's not the twist that I was expecting. >_< God, I'm still laughing about it.

I love that an arc that was so profoundly uncomfortable to listen to (and honestly, I think it was a misstep and could have been handled better) ended with possibly the greatest act of fan-service I've ever seen.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:41 AM
is Earnest

I feel like the current arc is a misstep too. TAZ is extremely popular because the characters are super funny and goofy, but Griffin seems to think it's because everyone wants to know more about the macguffins and generic evil force he created. And it really does't matter what format it takes, but the players seem less interested in what's going on, which detracts from the show.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:17 PM
Mystery Contraption

Going to have to disagree there; while the best part of TAZ by far, is Tres Horny Boyz' interactions with people, I like the whole of the show enough that I'm invested in everything.

I kind of Zone out when monsters appear and need killing, however. Except when something suitably memorable happens.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:26 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
I kind of Zone out when monsters appear and need killing, however. Except when something suitably memorable happens.
The climactic battle at the end of The Suffering Game held my attention so rapt that I didn't even notice my 45 minute walk to work this morning. I blinked and realized I was at the office. Magnus turning on the magnetic repulsor ball in particular was A+ stuff.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:32 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Going to have to disagree there; while the best part of TAZ by far, is Tres Horny Boyz' interactions with people, I like the whole of the show enough that I'm invested in everything.

On the other hand, I love when they get in a big monster fight. At the very least, they try to use different strategies and attacks each time instead of just going with their most powerful thing.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:11 PM
ePona: Horse Ride Sharing

I'm honestly surprised "burnout 3 but with [farting] horses" doesn't already exist
Old 04-26-2017, 08:53 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
At the very least, they try to use different strategies and attacks each time instead of just going with their most powerful thing.
That being said, boy I'd like to sit Justin and Clint down and remind them that cantrips exist.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:41 AM
Mystery Contraption

Yes, Stolen Century is heavy on backstory and light on funny character interactions, but, dammit Travis got a perfect score on skillful peeing, and a critical failure on basic survival. And if that doesn't sum up TAZ, I don't know what does.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:41 AM
contains words & diagrams

I appreciate TAZ for both the character interactions and the storyline being set up, so the way they're doing things now doesn't bother me. The fact that the PCs and the NPCs exist in a story connected world is what brings out the most in their interactions so I enjoy hearing more about the backstory to those interactions.

@JBeaR: Combat with them has never been about spell slot management and optimal play and Griffon runs his game as such, not once have they ever had to worry about spell slots or components (aside from that one time it was cool) or even doing stuff within the framework of the DND ruleset as long as it was cool. There have been plenty of times where instead of running damage numbers a particularly cool attack has just won the combat outright, which is something I really appreciate and enjoy because it adds to the radio drama feeling the show has going for it.

The radio drama aspect is also why I don't mind the more story heavy stuff and what they're doing right now with the current arc, because the show hasn't been about them playing DND for a while now, DND is just a framework for their story and their goofs.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:44 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
@JBeaR: Combat with them has never been about spell slot management and optimal play
I get that, and that's not what I was talking about.

I just listened to an episode recently, near the end of Suffering Game, where Clint lamented that there was nothing useful he can do, because of the various restrictions he was under, and was like "I guess I should just hit something?" and sounded disappointed. But it wasn't true! There's always something useful he can do. That's what cantrips are for!

Similarly, I've heard Justin complain more than once on his turn about just wanting to be able to do some kind of simple attack, and he ends up fishing through spells before finally finding Magic Missile or Burning Hands. That's what cantrips are for!

I'm not worried that they're playing the game "wrong", I'm worried that they're having less fun because they don't understand one of the big things that recent versions of D&D fixed over earlier editions of the game.

It's fun when Travis tries to do something interesting or cool, but I bet he'd be having a lot less fun if he had to do something like that every turn because he didn't have the option to just hit stuff with his weapon.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:59 PM
contains words & diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I get that, and that's not what I was talking about.

I just listened to an episode recently, near the end of Suffering Game, where Clint lamented that there was nothing useful he can do, because of the various restrictions he was under, and was like "I guess I should just hit something?" and sounded disappointed. But it wasn't true! There's always something useful he can do. That's what cantrips are for!

Similarly, I've heard Justin complain more than once on his turn about just wanting to be able to do some kind of simple attack, and he ends up fishing through spells before finally finding Magic Missile or Burning Hands. That's what cantrips are for!

I'm not worried that they're playing the game "wrong", I'm worried that they're having less fun because they don't understand one of the big things that recent versions of D&D fixed over earlier editions of the game.

It's fun when Travis tries to do something interesting or cool, but I bet he'd be having a lot less fun if he had to do something like that every turn because he didn't have the option to just hit stuff with his weapon.
I feel you, I hope I didn't come across as putting words in your mouth.

I still don't necessarily agree with you though, and I hope this doesn't come across as pedantic nit-picking because that's really not what I'm going for, promise.

My point is that I don't especially think the guys aren't experiencing the full game because they're missing out on some of the minutia. They've forgotten about countless magical items they've picked up from the fantasy gatchapon; poor Scuttlebuddy was a casualty of this (RIP Scuttlebuddy). Unless 5E cantrips work way differently than that kind of thing in the past (and this is highly possible, I'm definitely not up on the rules of 5E), Clint definitely could not have used them because the restrictions he was experiencing prevented all spell casting by him at that point. And The Suffering Game was meant to make them feel like they couldn't do anything but fail, that was the point. BUT your point is taken, I get what you're driving at.

I also think Justin is always fishing for a new ridiculous spell because he's the kind of player that gets a kick out of pulling a spell out of his butt and throwing the GM's plans on their head, but Griffon knows this by now and rolls with the insane plans they come up with because its way more fun to do that then enforce the rules. Same with Travis, it really did feel like he was experiencing linear warrior quadratic wizard right around the time Justin started diving into the spells section of the PH and so he had to both develop himself as a character and start making his motivations as a character be what makes his turns special while also having to ask Griffon to go along with some pretty insane schemes in order for him to be able to do badass shit like summon a talking ethereal horse, fly on command, or have a sick magical wand that eats other magical wands. Cutting a tree in half once a day just wasn't cutting it anymore.

Ultimately they've played so fast and loose with the rules of the game, including ones that might make them have to make more serious decisions mid session that would slow it way down but would increase the immersion factor, that I'm not worried about their grasp on the finer points of the rules being a detriment anymore because IMO if that was the case I'd have gone insane back when they failed a roll they could have passed if they'd remembered they'd had some dumb trinket from the gatchapon or just totally didn't use a really sweet magical item for the millionth time (RIP Immovable Rods).
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM
ePona: Horse Ride Sharing

This is probably more the result of Nick's love for Evangelion, but as a comment on YouTube pointed out:

"Car Boys episode 2: Nick and Griffin play with cannons
Car Boys episode 38: Nick and Griffin see the face of the Devil"

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Tags
boys , deals warlock , em bam bam , great job! , hail and well met , hamilton , just like bart , munch squad , peepums nastygum , the money zone , twentyserpentine , unless... , vore , what's up you cool baby