The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-22-2017, 07:34 AM
Mystery Contraption

Default Digital Down-Low for 06/22/2017: Soggies May Rule

I had to look it up, but it seems that was just a phrase David Willis was obsessed with, and not the actual slogan for Captain Crunch. Furthermore; the Soggies may have been the most disgusting Cereal Mascots ever designed.

ANYWAY!

PS4 starts this week with another Neo-Geo game, and, moreover, another (allegedly) good Neo-Geo game; Magical Drop 2! I didn't play this before but seem to recall people were into it. I guess it's like Bust a Move but with more anime and one of the playable characters is a dancing monster lady clad in linens who's animated gif I'm sure I saw on every second angelfire website back in the early days of the Internet.

Blasting Agent came out on the WiiU and 3DS a while ago and it was a side-scrolling shooter much in the vein of the original Duke Nukem or Biohazard Battle, except it wasn't remotely fun and the visuals were a mess. Nice try, guys.

Dead By Daylight is some good ol' asynchronous multiplayer murder-em-up where one player plays as The Killer and the other four play as The Survivors, who must try to escape The Killer before they are Killed!

To quote the games release info.

Dungeon Defenders 2 is the sequel to the honestly pretty fun Tower Defense/Loot-em-up original. Now it's free to play so I'm sure I can scrounge a few hours of enjoyment out of it before I smack into a paywall and delete it.

There's a Big Thing that Monsters Want. You kill them! And then take their boots!

Speaking of games in which groups of heroes work together to multiplay the act of murdin' up a jerk, we have God Wars: Future Past! The sequel to a game that came out on the... let me check my notes here... "Vee-tah".

Did I get that right? Was that the name of a video game console?

Anyway... it's an SRPG.

I Want to Be Human is a gross and violent side-scrolling shooter with a trailer I don't recommend watching after consuming cold medicine.

Take it from me, that's a little Octo-approved Life-Hack for you.

Lili: Child of Geos is kind of hard to peg down. You're on an island... full of robots and... sometimes you fight them via piggyback rides. And the product description mentions you may shed a tear.

So get your emotional well nice and full!

Nex Machina I feel to be on firmer ground with than just about anything else released this week; it's a twin-stick shooter. And you shoot BAD ROBOS.

That there is the quintessential example of Video Game.

The Girl & The Robot is another game about a girl and a roboman designed to make you shed some tears. That's quite a niche this week in video games is trying to break in to! Anyway, this time it looks all Ico-y so I can at least parse what's going on in my cold medicine-induced mental fogging.

SENGOKU 2 is another Neo-Geo arcade game, this time it's the sequel to SENGOKU, as implied by the title! This time, Bellyshirt Cowboy and friends must travel to ancient Japan to shank the hell out of samurai. Sometimes they change into elderly men or ninja girls!

I'm not sure, the games trailer wasn't doing a very good job of explaining what was happening!

And speaking of Neo-Geo games about inserting swords into samurai; that comes part-in-parcel with The Last Blade, the less-known of SNKs Samurai-themed punch-the-man simulators. But what it lacks in popularity, it makes up for in nice spritework.

And that's all I can say because I didn't play this before.

Pixel Heroes is a low rez Role Play-em-up where everything is procedurall generated! That's right! It's a roguelike, baby! Except side-scrolling and "hilarious".

It's always a good sign when a game describes itself that way!

ANYWAY let's talk about the eShop, shall we? And the Switch is leading the charge with... a port of a mobile game. Which was also ported to the PS4 a little while ago, and that is Oceanhorn! You may recall Oceanhorn as being the mobile game that was both pretty good and Zelda-y enough that it was kind of surprising nobody at Nintendo ever said "Ooooooooh you guys!" and then wagged an accusatory finger. And now it's on a console where it's competing against an actual Zelda game.

"That'll learn 'em not to play with our toys" says Nintendo.

Also on the Switch is YET ANOTHER Neo Geo game; and this time it's Fatal Fury 2 the Street Fighter 2 of Fatal Furies. I believe this is the one with Wolfgang Krauser which, if we're talking for realz has always been one of my top 5 favorite names for a fighting game character.

And on the 3DS we have naught but retail games; starting with Ever Oasis (actually out tomorrow), a game I'm really excited to read some reviews for since the demo felt kind of like it was glossing over a lot of stuff. It's a very Legend of Mana-y Action RPG where you're building up a desert town via friendship and chores and periodically hop into dungeons to beat the stuffins out of wild varmints.

If it's at least more concise with its writing than Fantasy Life, I think there's much reason to be optimistic.

And the final game isn't one that I'm interested to play so much as I'm interested for other people to play for me; RPG Maker FES (out on Tuesday). It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like; a teeny tiny version of the RPG Maker engine squished enough to fit in a 3DS card and, unlike with certain other game maker clients that I won't mention (but love very much, please don't misread my tone), allows you to upload them to the Internet where willing players can download them.

And launching for free alongside it is a client that just lets you download other peoples games and play those without making any yourself.

And given the game making chops shown by other people on this very site, that alone has me pretty excited.

Okay, that's all. Now to watch The Simpsons while Nyquil sings me a soft lullaby.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:57 AM
oh my car

Can the 3DS RPG Maker play any subset of games made for/in the PC version?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:46 AM
Mystery Contraption

Nope, just Games made with the 3DS RPG maker.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:01 AM
Prancing in the rain

Location: Maryland, right next to that capital of the U.S. thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
and one of the playable characters is a dancing monster lady clad in linens who's animated gif I'm sure I saw on every second angelfire website back in the early days of the Internet.
This description alone was enough to make me think that I had to recognize this, but I couldn't visualize it. but by the time I was dropping Magical drop into the google search it came to me, and even before I saw a screen shot I realized who it was.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:06 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awkward Grunt View Post
This description alone was enough to make me think that I had to recognize this, but I couldn't visualize it. but by the time I was dropping Magical drop into the google search it came to me, and even before I saw a screen shot I realized who it was.
Huh. Yeah, I've seen that GIF before. It rose from somewhere deep in the recesses of my mind. No idea where I've seen it, though.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:13 AM
Mystery Contraption

Yeah, it was ubiquitous but I don't recall from where
Old 06-22-2017, 11:17 AM
Unreleased Beta Version

I want to say it used to be a common banner ad on newgrounds?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:27 PM
Little Waves

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fairy-bounce

Potentially not safe for work depending on how your employer feels about Magical Drop.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:00 PM
BAG

Octo, you got some nerve calling Earth a monster-lady.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:52 AM
Video Monster

I came in here for the David Willis reference and stayed for the down-low. Why have I not read one of these threads before? I am a failure.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:02 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I came in here for the David Willis reference and stayed for the down-low. Why have I not read one of these threads before? I am a failure.
I don't even quite know what to think of you calling it a "David Willis reference."

And I know why, I'm just not sure what to make of it.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I mean, that's also what Octo called it? I'd wager a lot more people are familiar with David Willis' obsession with it than the actual source comic.

ETA: A quick Google search for the phrase would seem to support that.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:09 AM
For blood and gold

You people just didn't watch enough children's cereal commercials growing up.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:12 AM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

I don't read shortpacked so my first thought on "webcomic" and "soggies" is always this ol' PBF strip
Old 07-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
You people just didn't watch enough children's cereal commercials growing up.
That phrase never appeared in a commercial, though? It's just from one obscure comic. The phrase was popularized by David Willis.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:59 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
That phrase never appeared in a commercial, though? It's just from one obscure comic. The phrase was popularized by David Willis.
What's a David Willis?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I know what a Soggie is. Everyone here knows what a Soggie is. The point is that the phrase "Soggies may rule" is not from the old Captain Crunch commercials, including that one. It is from an old, obscure comic. Most people who have heard the phrase "Soggies may rule" have heard it from David Willis, who was referencing that comic.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Are You Sure About That?

I refute your anecdotal evidence with my own, which is that my only knowledge of 'Soggies' comes from the PBR comic.

I mean, I know it's the internet, but it is both possible the old cereal cartoon is referencing your mysterious comic or that whoever wrote it came up with the concept independently.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:11 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

I don't actually remember ever seeing a thing about soggies in its time, but then my predilection for saturday morning cartoon shorts was minimal

I'm not gonna have a nice hawaiian punch without my mouth guard in tho
Old 07-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I refute your anecdotal evidence with my own, which is that my only knowledge of 'Soggies' comes from the PBR comic.

I mean, I know it's the internet, but it is both possible the old cereal cartoon is referencing your mysterious comic or that whoever wrote it came up with the concept independently.
I'm... not disagreeing with that? Did anyone actually bother to click on my link? It's a fsking Captain Crunch comic. I'm not arguing over the origin of the concept of Soggies, I'm talking about the specific phrase "Soggies may rule".

This is a dumb argument. I'm out.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Are You Sure About That?

I mean, at work so access to fun things is limited (and clicking on random internet links is a bad idea), but I was referring to the total thing, both soggies as a whatever-the-hell and the catchphrase.

/shrugs
Old 07-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Mystery Contraption

Searching to find out if "Soggies May Rule" was a significant part of any Captain Crunch advertising campaign or just some weird bit of emphera that Dave Willis latched on to is, perhaps, the most research I've ever employed in one of these threads.

It also taught me that Captain Crunch used to be animated by the guy what made Rocky and Bullwinkle.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:31 PM
For blood and gold

I mean, anecdotally, if you said the word "Soggies" to me, the next thought in my head would not be "may rule". So I'd believe the phrase was certainly popularized by this mysterious David Willis character.

I think the leap is assuming an equal or greater amount of people will know about Willis' work than about just the Cap'n Crunch villains.

Tags
cap'n crunch is important , digital downloads , octo does not do research