The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Minnesota Nice

I haven't been noticing anything, but other than Persona all I've been doing is going into the store and looking at all the things I cannot have.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
It could also be the cause of my problem where it's saying the drive has no room to install when there is ample space. Like it wouldn't let me install FFXII when I had 56gb open, and the install was only 41.
I don't really think 56GB available for a 41GB game is "ample space". Sounds like you need to clean out the fridge.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:49 AM
An Animal of Joy

It should have installed, is all I'm saying. I've also had problems with 1-2gb updates refusing to download until I cleared out 30+gb.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:04 PM
is Earnest

On PS4, you need at least double the space of the game available in order to install it. So for an 41 GB game you would need 82 GB free.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:06 PM
An Animal of Joy

I know that's true of a download, but this was from a disk. Is it the same way?
Old 07-28-2017, 12:16 PM
is Earnest

I've only run into that problem when trying to download a game. It seems like it should work when using a disk, but I'm not sure. Maybe call Sony customer support?
Old 07-28-2017, 12:46 PM

Could be that it always reserves a set amount of disk space as "scratch" space. Who knows, it might also need that space for copying/decompression of assets. I have no real idea of how much free space is required on the PS4, though.

I do need to think about adding some storage to mine, 500GB just isn't enough. I thankfully don't have that many digital games, but deleting games and their patches, especially when I have terrible Internet, sucks. I bring my console to work for updates.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:16 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Yes, that's the way decompressing files works; the compressed file is still on your HD at all times (until you delete it), it just decompresses into memory, which then writes the decompressed files onto the HD into their own directory. So properly installing things is going to require whatever space the uncompressed files will take up, plus the compressed archive's footprint, and whatever extra the devs allocate in the decompression to prevent people from filling their drives to the last gig.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:43 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I replaced the drive in my PS4 Pro with a 2TB drive, so that could be part of the reason I don't see the issue. I still suspect PSN has been a bit screwy these past few days.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:53 PM
Jinxed

Nowadays USB drives also work for storage of games on PS4 if you don't feel like opening it up.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2017, 04:22 PM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I do need to think about adding some storage to mine, 500GB just isn't enough. I thankfully don't have that many digital games, but deleting games and their patches, especially when I have terrible Internet, sucks. I bring my console to work for updates.
Whoa, and here I thought carrying the Wii around to friends' houses and such was a hassle at times!

But yeah, that's the downside of PS4's always-install policy. If you've got a couple of big disc games installed, that's already 25 % of the usable space of a 500 GB hard drive on PS4. It just isn't enough.

And for that reason it's also kind of a bummer that hard drive tech seems to have stalled. I would have thought 10 TB drives would have been common by now based on the speed the drive size was increasing around 10 years ago.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:48 AM

Found an interesting technical breakdown of Why PS4 Downloads Are So Slow with a possible workaround to increase your download speeds.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Not a Beer

Haha, wowwww, that seems like some really lazy programming on someone's part.

The TLDR for people who don't want to follow the link: manually closing any apps running in the background (long-press PS button, use "close applications" submenu) may dramatically speed up all current PSN downloads, for reasons that are pretty stupid.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:20 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Yep, I do that all the time if it's something I really want to play. Basically, start the download, make sure everything is closed, go do something else for X minutes until it's finished.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:04 PM
An Animal of Joy

The system update this week now has my system saying that my drive actually only has a max capacity now of 388GB, and I checked just last weekend and it said the max capacity was over 440GB. It seems like it is being accurately reported now since I couldn't install anything before even when it said I was at 367/440. So now I know a huge portion of the drive is seemingly unusable, I guess I need to backup everything and re-initialize it? Maybe I'll just finally get a bigger drive. Super tired of deleting stuff every time I want to play something new.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:36 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
The system update this week now has my system saying that my drive actually only has a max capacity now of 388GB, and I checked just last weekend and it said the max capacity was over 440GB. It seems like it is being accurately reported now since I couldn't install anything before even when it said I was at 367/440. So now I know a huge portion of the drive is seemingly unusable, I guess I need to backup everything and re-initialize it? Maybe I'll just finally get a bigger drive. Super tired of deleting stuff every time I want to play something new.
350+ sounds accurate. There's a lot of OS overhead. 440GB of free space on what a presume is a 500GB drive is generous.

I buckled and ended up buying one of these for mine. Just pry open the casing and swap it out. You can download the PS4 OS install from Sony. Just need a USB flash drive.

The HDD is just a 2.5" SATA drive ("laptop" drive) so it should be pretty easy to find one that's relatively cheap; the reason I bought the external drive and just popped it open instead of just outright buying a 2.5" SATA drive is because I found the external on sale.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:16 PM
Not a Beer

Can't you just straight up add an external drive to it these days?
Old 09-14-2017, 04:36 PM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
350+ sounds accurate. There's a lot of OS overhead. 440GB of free space on what a presume is a 500GB drive is generous.
I used to have it nearly full to the 440 all the time before it started acting all weird and demanding like 100gb of space to install a 20gb game. I'm probably going to just get a new drive to put inside. I don't have room for a USB drive to be hanging out somewhere.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Not a Beer

So I got around to installing the 5.0 (I think?) system update, which evidently updates a bunch of social features and whatnot, and immediately got a chat message sent last month from an account that look like a bot. Zero games and trophies, no public info on the account. Is... is this gonna be a thing even here? *sigh*
Old 10-05-2017, 06:26 PM
Mystery Contraption

Probably, but, luckily, you can disable communications from everyone you arenít already pals with. Which was the very first thing I did because those robots are terrible.

And I am firmly pro robot!
Old 10-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Find Your Reason

I'm hearing from a LOT of people that 5.0 is soft-bricking their system because Sony apparently forgot to code a "Terms & Conditions" acceptance button and they can't use their systems at all now. My PS4 has downloaded the update but I haven't applied it yet because of the above. Has anyone here had any issues with it?
Old 10-05-2017, 08:09 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I'm hearing from a LOT of people that 5.0 is soft-bricking their system because Sony apparently forgot to code a "Terms & Conditions" acceptance button and they can't use their systems at all now. My PS4 has downloaded the update but I haven't applied it yet because of the above. Has anyone here had any issues with it?
My son couldn't get online initially with his sub-account. The primary account holder has to accept the terms and conditions. It was easily solved by just logging into PSN on my computer and accepting it there. He was able to play games, just not connect to PSN.

My understanding is you can also have problems if the primary account has not declared a primary PS4.

But, to answer your question, no, not really. Minor issue for the boy but my stuff worked without issue when I logged on tonight.

Edit: My son has his own PS4. My understanding is that if I had accepted the terms and conditions on my PS4, his would have automagically worked. I just logged in on my computer because I've been busy it was an easier thing to do.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Probably, but, luckily, you can disable communications from everyone you arenít already pals with. Which was the very first thing I did because those robots are terrible.

And I am firmly pro robot!
Even with that enabled I was getting added to groups so bots could send me spam a few weeks ago. Apparently you can add anyone to a group and then message that whole group (of one person) even if you aren't pals?
Old 10-05-2017, 09:03 PM
Not a Beer

Yeah, I think my bot may have actually been a "group" too. Sounds like an overlooked exploit in the privacy settings, so hopefully they'll fix it next update.

And also yeah, there are a ton of new parental control and family account abilities in this update, so I bet that's where some of other people's issues are coming from. I have a single account and my install went smoothly through accepting the T&C. (Actually I guess I still have a JP region sub-account but I haven't used it in years.)

Tags
399 us dollars , drop the mic , hardware , invisible console , octo does not do research , playstation , playstation 4 , second job machine , sony , terrible consoles , tt is bias