The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Dizzy Dizzy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 27,309
Default The Sin of Synth

I do believe its time we had a thread devoted to the discussion, appreciation, disparaging and education of synth music in all its wonders.

Some favorites. Most of them come from the movies and the TV.

Jan Hammer
It's Over - Cocaine Cowboys
Payback - Miami Vice
Crockett's theme - Miami Vice

Harold Faltermeyer
The Running Man theme
Top Gun theme

Giorgio Moroder
Midnight Express theme
Chase - Midnight Express
Tony's theme - Scarface
Tears (OK, no synth but damn!)
Donna Summer - I Feel Love

Vince DiCola
Training Montage - Rocky IV
Ivan Drago Suite

Laura_Branigan - Self Control
Glass Candy - Digital Versicolor
Chromatics - Shining Violence

Can anyone list more or superior examples than the above? Perhaps some from old anime or a cruddy VHS fitness video?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 PM
pence's Avatar
pence pence is offline
and ermine, too
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 5,504
Default

Most in keeping with the spirit of Moroder, Italians Do It Better, et al -
M83 - Midnight City

The fucking synth lead at the end the world enters at 3:15 -
LCD Soundsystem - Yeah (Crass Version)

Last edited by pence; 05-24-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2012, 08:34 PM
DemoWeasel's Avatar
DemoWeasel DemoWeasel is offline
23 ski-dook
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,285
Default

Kavinsky - Nightcall. It's the most recent one I can think of!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Balrog's Avatar
Balrog Balrog is offline
Shares?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 13,082
Default

The FEZ soundtrack is one of my favorite soundtracks that came out recently.

Any of Vangelis's stuff where he mixed classical piano with synth is totally awesome.

The Mysterious Cities of Gold had some really cool sounding tracks. I really love 80s weirdness like that.

The Ultima: Exodus Remix album has some really cool 80s synth sounds. The Eternal Castle Britannia has this really rich tone to the synth mixed with (synthesized? sampled?) camera sounds which works somehow, I dunno, it's weird.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Issun's Avatar
Issun Issun is online now
Thwomp Boyardee
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sad Lesbian Capital of the World
Posts: 12,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Giorgio Moroder
Bringing up Giorgio without mentioning The Neverending Story? For shame!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Olli T's Avatar
Olli T Olli T is offline
concentrate
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,344
Default

I really like this song
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 AM
christoffing's Avatar
christoffing christoffing is offline
chairman of the bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,066
Default

I'm partial to this stuff myself:

DAF- Des Mussolini
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2012, 02:45 AM
mr_bungle700 mr_bungle700 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,756
Default

I...actually had no idea that Jan Hammer did soundtracks. Interesting!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-25-2012, 03:06 AM
Olli T's Avatar
Olli T Olli T is offline
concentrate
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bungle700 View Post
I...actually had no idea that Jan Hammer did soundtracks. Interesting!
W-what, I think he's most known from his Miami Vice stuff. Wikipedia seems to agree at least partially.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2012, 05:21 AM
mr_bungle700 mr_bungle700 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,756
Default

I've never even seen Miami Vice! I know him from Mahavishnu and his solo work and Al DiMeola team-up stuff. I guess I just never looked further into his work.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-25-2012, 05:34 AM
upupdowndown's Avatar
upupdowndown upupdowndown is offline
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 11,600
Default

man, ravinoff's gonna go nuts when he sees this thread. I can't wait to listen to all of this when I get home!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Sanagi's Avatar
Sanagi Sanagi is offline
who's she
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: fairbanks, alaska
Posts: 10,628
Default

Tangerine Dream has their ups and downs, but I really like Canyon Dreams, their answer to Koyaanisqatsi. Also Tangram, Turn of the Tides, and Mars Polaris, and their most disturbing album, Zeit.

The soundtrack to Einhander, by Black Mages keyboardist Kenichiro Fukui, is right awesome. One of the great things about that game is how the music is cued up to the auto-scrolling action.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Dizzy Dizzy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 27,309
Default

Great input, class. There's stuff I can't believe didn't come to mind instantly like Tangerine Dream. The entire Drive soundtrack counts obviously. Nicolas Winding Refn needs to share his entire iPod playlist with the whole world at this point.

Some songs that I like very much from the Tekken 4 soundtrack sound sort of synthy to me. Airport and Authentic Sky are awwwwesome. =O
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Parish's Avatar
Parish Parish is offline
Your life is forfeit
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rally, Nerf Cackolacka
Posts: 11,055
Default

Jon Anderson and Vangelis: The Friends of Mister Cairo

Anamanaguchi: Airbase (ultimate Mega Man 2 pastiche)

Jethro Tull: Black Sunday

Rush: The Camera Eye

Camel: Lady Fantasy

Yellow Magic Orchestra: Technopolis (but really, anything by YMO)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Olli T's Avatar
Olli T Olli T is offline
concentrate
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,344
Default

Love Spy is also super great (sgreat)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-25-2012, 12:23 PM
The Raider Dr. Jones's Avatar
The Raider Dr. Jones The Raider Dr. Jones is offline
Oily Butt Thing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bull City
Posts: 10,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Yellow Magic Orchestra: Technopolis (but really, anything by YMO)
Has anybody ever done a proper feature story in English about how the YMO are the wellspring of basically all Japanese game music up through at least like 1994?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Parish's Avatar
Parish Parish is offline
Your life is forfeit
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rally, Nerf Cackolacka
Posts: 11,055
Default

No, but I use them in our podcasts sometimes...?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Shagohod's Avatar
Shagohod Shagohod is offline
kill
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phx, Az
Posts: 2,367
Default

Greatest cinema + synth combo ever
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-25-2012, 02:43 PM
mr_bungle700 mr_bungle700 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Has anybody ever done a proper feature story in English about how the YMO are the wellspring of basically all Japanese game music up through at least like 1994?
I'd love to write something about YMO and other Japanese bands that influenced game music (like Pageant, Mr. Sirius, Gerard, Novela...), but I fear that the internet would refuse to care.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-25-2012, 05:05 PM
taosterman's Avatar
taosterman taosterman is offline
Gesundheit!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ann ARR-BRR
Posts: 9,657
Default

You might know the Human League from "Don't You Want Me" but the rest of the album is really awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 PM
JDS JDS is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,068
Default

these aren't all synth pioneers but

stevie wonder - boogie on reggae woman
beach boys - solar system
suicide - rocket usa
the residents - moisture
prince - do yourself a favor
scott walker - sleepwalker's woman
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-26-2012, 07:45 PM
JDS JDS is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,068
Default

almost forgot

flock of seagulls - wishing (if i had a photograph of you)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Lakupo's Avatar
Lakupo Lakupo is offline
Don't Stop Believin'
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Posts: 1,603
Default

...I feel like all of the new age music my parents played when I was kid that wasn't Enya was just the Miami Vice soundtrack. It all sounded like that. Crockett's theme must've been on some Narada collection or something. It was on Pure Moods! Oh wait, I bought that...

My boyfriend's gotten me into Ladytron, which has a lot of fun synth-y sounds, especially in their earlier work, like True Mathematics.

Although to be honest, while I have a lot of synth-y sounding stuff in my collection, I think they're mostly distorted sampling. It's kind of hard to tell sometimes!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-27-2012, 06:14 PM
ajr82's Avatar
ajr82 ajr82 is offline
There he is!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 5,695
Default

Jean-Michel Jarre:

Oxygene Part 4
Magnetic Fields Part 2
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-27-2012, 09:05 PM
liquid's Avatar
liquid liquid is offline
d.o_o.b
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 4,781
Default

I love John Carpenter's soundtracks, especially the Escape from New York theme.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Wolfgang's Avatar
Wolfgang Wolfgang is offline
borgn
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fooboomagoo
Posts: 28,105
Default

Is there anyone who doesn't genuinely enjoy Axel F? Because if you say you don't like it because it's overplayed or they used it on that one Family Guy, then I'll just have to kick your damn head off. In fact, if there's any reason you don't like Axel F, I'm still going to kick your damn head off.

Last edited by Wolfgang; 05-27-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: WTF brass band???
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Balrog's Avatar
Balrog Balrog is offline
Shares?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 13,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Is there anyone who doesn't genuinely enjoy Axel F? Because if you say you don't like it because it's overplayed or they used it on that one Family Guy, then I'll just have to kick your damn head off. In fact, if there's any reason you don't like Axel F, I'm still going to kick your damn head off.
WTF is this brass band shit?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Wolfgang's Avatar
Wolfgang Wolfgang is offline
borgn
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fooboomagoo
Posts: 28,105
Default

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Balrog's Avatar
Balrog Balrog is offline
Shares?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 13,082
Default

Dude, sometimes I think you're just not putting enough effort into your posts.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Wolfgang's Avatar
Wolfgang Wolfgang is offline
borgn
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fooboomagoo
Posts: 28,105
Default

That's because I don't give 90% of a shit. Now I regret changing it to the right song.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cool stuff , electronic music , nerds , synthesizers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007