The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-12-2017, 10:36 PM
The Goggles do Nothing

Legitimately, save states really emphasize why that boss is hard, and that's basically because it can trap you in some really horrible positions that will sap all your health just because you decided to latch onto the wrong length of wall. If you're using save states anyway... I'm not going to say the final-final boss is no big deal... it's simply doable as opposed to completely awful.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:12 PM

As a youngin' it took me two months of trying at least once a day to beat that boss. It is very, very hard.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:00 AM

woah xD double post haha

Suikoden 2 is so, so good guys. I know this is known but yowza. Playing this game gives me the same feelings as reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms. The very simple, mythic feeling politics and warfare are amazing.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:38 PM
Mystery Contraption

Someone here (I want to say Shivam, feels like a Shivam kind of thing) recommended Polytopia on iOS on strength of it being Civilization except condensed down to the teeniest little squidge.

It strips everything but the essentials and is so engaging.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

me too!

But yeah, Polytopia's great. I always play as the Japanese.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:57 PM

Demon's Crest's last boss is tough, but it's certainly not undoable. I might lose once or twice these days if I'm rusty, but in general, a full load of Ginseng and good management of your offensive/defensive boost items during the times you can't hit him go a long, long way.

Plus, exploring and finding all the stuff is the real attraction. A remarkable amount of the game is gated behind secret routes and such.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:27 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

I know it takes a huge amount of shit everywhere people talk about games, but I'm really enjoying Resident Evil 6. Maybe I'm not much of a connoisseur of survival horror (I'm saying this sincerely, not sarcastically), but I'm not seeing anything really wrong with it so far.

I am admittedly not far along. I just crashed the airplane and am getting ready to face a boss. I'm mainly happy to be out of the water. Large bodies of natural water always make me nervous. The idea of being stuck underwater is worse, and having a giant aquatic monster really does not help. Still! A lot of fun so far. I like that melee attacks are a reasonable option, rather than a last ditch effort to stave off death for a few more seconds once your ammo's all gone.

It sure would be nice to be able to pause when I'm not playing online, though.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:34 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Someone here (I want to say Shivam, feels like a Shivam kind of thing) recommended Polytopia on iOS on strength of it being Civilization except condensed down to the teeniest little squidge.

It strips everything but the essentials and is so engaging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
me too!

But yeah, Polytopia's great. I always play as the Japanese.
I like it a lot, but it seems really repetitive after the first few stages. Is there a larger goal to work toward?
Old 08-14-2017, 09:57 PM
Blue Comet

Space Hulk: Deathwing isn't perfect. There are only a few different types of enemies, half of whom are very similar to one another, and their animations leave something to be desired. But man, the aesthetics, level design, and environment are top-notch, nearly as good as what you'd see in Bloodborne or Dark Souls. Very cool.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:59 PM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I know it takes a huge amount of shit everywhere people talk about games, but I'm really enjoying Resident Evil 6. Maybe I'm not much of a connoisseur of survival horror (I'm saying this sincerely, not sarcastically), but I'm not seeing anything really wrong with it so far.

I am admittedly not far along. I just crashed the airplane and am getting ready to face a boss. I'm mainly happy to be out of the water. Large bodies of natural water always make me nervous. The idea of being stuck underwater is worse, and having a giant aquatic monster really does not help. Still! A lot of fun so far. I like that melee attacks are a reasonable option, rather than a last ditch effort to stave off death for a few more seconds once your ammo's all gone.

People hate 6 because the campaign is terrible and incredibly long. It does have one of the best mechanical systems in any action game, but the campaign never teaches or requires you use it's complexity (great for Mercenaries though).
Old 08-16-2017, 10:40 AM
The metal babble flees!

Digimonstory: Cyber Sleuth: this monster-collecting game has more of a storyline than I would have expected. The main plot is both basic and confusing; there's your character's rather straightforward dungeon-and-boss adventures with the Digimon, and then there's some other stuff about digital streams or something, where, say, a subway station can be both real and digital and get glitched.

But in recent chapters involving (1) an AI "Baku" (2) an urban legend and ghost story, I suddenly felt that the writing, in a gentle and additive way, was opening questions for the player about what "consciousness" and "life" are.

And throughout the story, the Digimon characters tell you that they are not created by humans, but are visitors to an intermediary digital world, just as you are. So things get a little troubling when you end up putting most of your digital friends on a farm, forcing genetic mutations on them, and destroying them to give your other digital friends XP. Yeah, the story and the mechanics are at odds sometimes...
Old 08-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Mystery Contraption

Okay... now I understand why people like Undertale.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:16 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Okay... now I understand why people like Undertale.
You ain't seen nothin' yet.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:40 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Johnny Unusual and I started playing through Contradiction: Spot the Liar, and it is a delightful little FMV game made by Tim Follin (yes, that Tim Follin, who I guess branched out from music at some point) with a bunch of great ham-fisted acting (except one legit great performance by one of the presumed antagonists). It's a really cute, goofy, clever game, and it is essentially an Ace Attorney game mechanically, except that it feels better designed, since unlike those games I don't find myself in those annoying situations of grasping at straws or knowing what's wrong but struggling to find the precise way that game expects me to convey it. Here it all just works. I adore watching Inspector Jenks amicably bumbling his way through a murder investigation. He's just... great.

We're still only halfway through, so maybe it won't stick the landing, but so far I heartily recommend it if you're looking for a fun way to kill a couple of afternoons essentially watching interactive community theatre.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:43 AM
Crabjörn

I have obtained Charge and Fusion in Invisible, Inc.

I think I have too much PWR.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:59 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

I'm sure you can on the PC version at the very least.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:20 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Yeah, I found out you can pause, and felt like an idiot. You just have to tell the game to not only disallow drop-in partnering, but to go offline altogether. It's an option when starting a campaign. It's still a little dumb (if I've already forbidden drop-in multiplayer, why do I then have to take the game offline?), but it gets the job done.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:00 AM
The metal babble flees!

Long Live the Queen: this is a lot like what I've seen of the Princess Maker games, with you, the player, manipulating a background spreadsheet to enhance your Princess's stats, which leads to various results.

Unlike PM, the setup is that you, the player, are playing the princess as she makes her own decisions, and that difference changes the feel of the game completely! PM always felt paternalistic in a vaguely creepy way to me, with the Princess going with whatever her dad says without question, and her fate, and even her physical and emotional state, being entirely dependent on his decisions. LLtQ's princess does her own thing, and must live with the consequences.

Or, more likely, not live. In my first playthrough, she died of injuries from an arrow shot.

The in-game achievement listing shows the potential for tons of branching paths, and I want to find at least a few of them! It's a very short game, just an hour or two, which encourages replays.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:12 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I had a lot of fun drawing up spreadsheets and flowcharts for that game. Every room/class must be quantified! It pushed the same buttons for me as map-making in a dungeon crawler.

Also, I think my first run ended the same way, with death by arrow.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Arrow and chocolate are the two most likely endings to your first game. I think I was arrow as well.

Long Live the Queen is just an incredibly great game.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:19 AM
It's all good, man

Playing Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. Sometimes bloated, long-running franchises are good because they allow us to play neat, big budget games starring women of color in unfamiliar locations.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:41 AM
Dead Horse Rider

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through Spec Ops: The Line now. Thus far this has been an above average cover shooter, primarily in regards to the writing. The most surprising thing to me is that this game was made by Yager. Before this the team had only made "Yager" a game sharing the same name as the studio. Yager was a fairly bad aerial flight shooter thing, nowhere near as good as SO:TL.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Sudden chomper

Default But god, what a stupid name

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS is such a cool game. I've played about 10 squad matches so far (no solo games yet) and it's different every time. The varied terrain, random weapon pickups and the human element make it so that every match is unpredictable, at least for the first 10-20 minutes. Sure, eventually you're gonna get killed by someone with a sniper rifle and a scope while trying to crawl across a field toward the final circle, but everything before that is bursting with possibility. Sometimes we grab a bunch of vehicles or boats and fuck around, sometimes we look for an out-of-the-way spot and roam around in solitude and sometimes we head straight into the action in an urban area and start getting into fights within the first minute of the match. I had a super fun match last night where I landed near a bunch of other players but couldn't find a gun to save my life. After narrowly avoiding being spotted by a bunch of people in a big building, I realized that they had left a couple motorcycles outside and decided to steal one. Hightailing it out of there without any gear while they shot at me was exhilirating, as was the feeling of getting one over on this group that was better armed (and almost certainly more organized) than I was.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:25 AM
Mystery Contraption

This may be contentious, and it's a close race, but Wario Land 3 may be the best portable Mario game on any handheld prior to 3D Land.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:27 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote:
This may be contentious, and it's a close race, but Wario Land 3 may be the best portable Mario game on any handheld prior to 3D Land.

Hey, me again. Just thought I'd come in and say "actually, it is bad", like I always do when you praise WL3. A dance as old as time. Nothing personal, you do you. Peace
Old 08-29-2017, 07:44 AM
Mystery Contraption

This is but part of the contention that was foretold. As inexorable as the tides, as relentless as the march of time.

When I played through Tails' Adventure not long ago I claimed it was a game I really wanted to like but it did too many things just wrong enough that I never had any fun with it.

WL 3 is a fixed Tails' Adventure. And stars the second best ario Brother
Old 08-29-2017, 07:46 AM
Sudden chomper

I haven't been loving Pyre that much, but last night the story took some interesting turns and now I'm intrigued to see where it'll go next. Specifically, the bit where you face the second group of Nightwings and the commentator is like "fuck this, I'm out". And then you play the whole match without commentary and it's super weird! And then you find that the stars are going out and soon the whole fantasy basketball thing will be coming to a close forever. So the game took a dang long time getting here, but now I'm pretty curious to see how it will play out.

Too bad the new XCOM expansion just came out and that's all I'm going to play for the next month...
Old 08-29-2017, 08:21 AM

Wario Land 3 is extremely cool until you notice how much it relishes in wasting your time.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:24 AM
#deadfish2017

That's every Wario Land tho.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:15 AM

Well I haven't played those!

Tags
everything is awesome , fear of new threads , good games , just make a new thread , making threads is better , repulsive positivity