The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 07-20-2017, 01:13 AM
Thwomp Boyardee

Default Great Openers You've Seen

We generally go to shows for the headliners, but as I saw recently, the opener can impress us as well. For instance, I went to see Michelle Branch Tuesday night and this band opened and they were amazing:

Although the best opener I've ever seen was Golgol Bordello opening for System of a Down back in 2011. I loved them so much that when they came back and headlined last year I made sure to see them.

I would say openers that are well established probably shouldn't count for this thread (like when I saw Godsmack open for Metallica in 2008), but I would leave it to you to decide what counts as an opener and what counts as a band sharing the show.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:22 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I saw Tomahawk and Tricky open for Tool during the Lateralus tour; Tricky at the beginning and then when they came back around I went to a second show and saw Tomahawk. (Mike Patton is nuts.)

I saw A Perfect Circle open for Nine Inch Nails in Dallas the day that Mer De Noms was released.

I saw Liz Phair open for Smashing Pumpkins, and Skrillex (of all people) open for Guns n' Roses, and Dream Theater open for Iron Maiden.

But in the spirit of lesser-known-band-opens-for-known-band, the best show I've probably been to was Green Day in 1998. When everyone else opted to go to senior prom, myself and few of The Fellas decided to go to NOLA and see Green Day. Samiam opened for them; Samiam was goddamned amazing. I've been a huge fan of Samiam ever since and had the opportunity to finally see them again at Wrecking Ball in Atlanta a couple of years ago.

Back in the 90s, Samiam (and bands like Knapsack, Texas Is The Reason, and Sensefield) were considered emo before emo became whatever the fuck whiny shit it eventually became.

Anyway, this is "She Found You" from You Are Freaking Me Out, which is probably their most well-known album. (90s video incoming!)

Old 07-20-2017, 03:30 PM
Goodbye!

I've seen a lot of bands, and a lot of openers, but the one that really stands out is when my GF wanted to go see Justin Townes Earle here in Vancouver.

She was a long time fan, and had sort of a crush on him which I resented a little, so I was dragging my feet. He was of course amazing, so I was being silly.

But the opening act he brought with him was Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit. Jason Isbell is becoming sort of huge right now - he's a woke good ol' boy, which is PRETTY GOOD. I'd never heard him, but was blown away by his songs right away.

Interesting fact - Jason Isbell is famously sober now, and his seminal album Southeastern is very much about that, but he was NOT sober that show. He and the band were taking slugs from a bottle of Jack Daniels and passing it around the stage. I figure it probably was only a month or two after that he got clean, especially since his fiddle player was his now wife, who he credits with his recovery.

I also understand that he's not allowed into Canada because of some border troubles that I assume happened that tour.

Anyway, he's awesome. Here's a song he played on that tour:

And here's a more current example:

Old 07-21-2017, 06:11 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Although the best opener I've ever seen was Golgol Bordello opening for System of a Down back in 2011. I loved them so much that when they came back and headlined last year I made sure to see them.
Gogol Bordello is awesome and it's a shame I haven't made it out to their live shows any of the few times they've passed through my area.

One fun opener I saw was Moon Hooch, on TMBG's Nanobots tour. They started out busking in the NYC subway and do ridiculous things with very large saxophones.

Other fun TMBG openers over the years: Jonathan Coulton before he got big enough to do his own concerts cruises, Oppenheimer, and the incomparable Corn Mo.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:52 AM
Is there not one thing

Guitar Wolf opening for The Cramps in Vancouver inspired the formation of the Von Bondies. You'd have to shoehorn the Misfits in there somehow to better serve the musical tastes of College Ample.

The best opener I've seen with my own eyes was probably this tiny post-rock trio who sounded like Mogwai on uppers. Name lost, but the guitar noise and sense of wired melancholy lives on.

Last edited by Ample Vigour; 07-21-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:47 PM
Answers come in dreams

Imperative Reaction for VNV Nation.

And DJ Acucrack for KMFDM.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:58 PM

The most recent opener I've seen that blew me away was Le Butcherettes opening for At the Drive In.

I don't know that I would listen to Le Butcherettes music in my spare time, but would pay to see Le Butcherettes again. A great and theatrical live band.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:28 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I saw Mastodon in Orlando a week or so ago and the openers were Russian Circles and Eagles of Death Metal. They were both amazing.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:25 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

The Aquabats were a surreal and entertaining opener for Blink 182 back in 97
Old 10-12-2017, 08:28 AM
Safe Space

Old 10-12-2017, 09:12 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Back when I lived in San Francisco the Dwarves were at a point where they rarely toured, but they'd often play second from the top when big punk and metal acts came through town. Saw them open for Motorhead at the Avalon Ballroom, and for the Damned at I forget where when they played a show on Halloween. Hewhocannotbenamed wore his Blue Panther and Gronda masks, respectively.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:36 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
The Aquabats were a surreal and entertaining opener for Blink 182 back in 97
I saw the Aquabats once and they're pretty surreal in any context.