The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-13-2017, 07:41 AM
Curious Young Gent

It sucks that bad graphics and a movie-marketing cast hurt this game as badly as they did - because the actual gameplay is fantastic. Wasn't going to buy it till I put hands on it on a casuals setup at a local SFV tourney, but as soon as I did I knew I wanted to. Plays like a dream, and autocombos really help bridge that gap between "can only poke" and "can do combos".

Sad to see history repeat itself, and this meet the same fate as SFxT, which was also awesome (especially after the patch fixing the timer issue).
Old 10-13-2017, 07:36 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
It sucks that bad graphics and a movie-marketing cast hurt this game as badly as they did - because the actual gameplay is fantastic. Wasn't going to buy it till I put hands on it on a casuals setup at a local SFV tourney, but as soon as I did I knew I wanted to. Plays like a dream, and autocombos really help bridge that gap between "can only poke" and "can do combos".

Sad to see history repeat itself, and this meet the same fate as SFxT, which was also awesome (especially after the patch fixing the timer issue).
Also, Spider-Man's stupid reality stone infinite.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:55 PM
Come, noble knights!

Some people play fighters for well-designed gameplay systems. Others play them 'cuz they find great appeal in having a game where they can have Knife Hands fight Cans Mage or whatever.

The secret to having a hit fighting game is to pull off the former while not neglecting the latter. And also to have your damn arcade mode from the start, Street Fighter V. =/

But seriously though I'm glad SFV's finally making the right moves to try and win the lapsed fans back. =3
Old 10-13-2017, 08:19 PM
The Goggles do Nothing

On the other hand, when Mike Haggar fights Stephen Strange, they compliment each other's mustaches.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:13 PM
Come, noble knights!

Yeah, I saw your praises for the story mode (SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY). It might not be enough to get me into the game, but it's definitely great that they show the characters they did bring back some love.

Also I totally agree that not having Firebrand talk to Thanos about colorful magic rocks was a huge missed opportunity.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:34 PM
Highway To HFIL

Reading Bob's post there made me realize that they had the opportunity to do something Ghost Trick related and passed on it, and now I'm sad.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:23 PM
Curious Young Gent

The cast being tiny is a huge issue, since it means more obscure characters were less able to squeeze their way in. Asura, Gene from God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, Amaterasu, etc etc etv. And yeah the Marvel side obviously let down by its focus on the MCU to the exclusion of all else.

By contrast, SFxT had like 50 characters at launch and another 10 or 12 after a few months.

Infinites aren't so bad - Capcom will patch them out as long as the game is supported, so they're only worth learning for a brief blip of success online. They're patching the grab projectile ones like Spiderman's on the 16th iirc.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Infinites aren't so bad - Capcom will patch them out as long as the game is supported, so they're only worth learning for a brief blip of success online. They're patching the grab projectile ones like Spiderman's on the 16th iirc.
Correct, the infinite is being fixed, but it was also an extremely easy infinite. I'm not saying it's one button X-men infinite, but it was easy and boring. Infinite combos in previous games were execution heavy. Also I've came up with a game plan for Sigma/Jedah that just seems rude and un-fun for people. I'll see how it goes, but in concept it works.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:05 PM

So the first three character DLC's dropped and they are fantastic. I absolutely love Sigma, and Monster Hunter. Black panther is a mess to control right now. Sigma just feels good to use, and MH feels like a MH character.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:05 PM
Curious Young Gent

I LIKED SIGNA BEFORE HE WAS COOL

Er, I mean, Im glad Sigma is as viable and awesome as I had hoped he would be. Problem is, I may have to give up the Space Stone for the Time Stone if I wanna run him with Haggar so they have a way to get in.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:28 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
MH feels like a MH character.
Routinely get locked into long animations and get wrecked?
Old 10-19-2017, 04:23 PM
Curious Young Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Routinely get locked into long animations and get wrecked?
Yes, or in other words: fast and powerful moves with long recovery that force you to go big or go home, time your hits better, etc. High commitment/investment, high reward, high vulnerability if you mess it up.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Yes, or in other words: fast and powerful moves with long recovery that force you to go big or go home, time your hits better, etc. High commitment/investment, high reward, high vulnerability if you mess it up.
She's really not selling me on her native game.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:39 PM
The Goggles do Nothing

I'm not a cosmetic DLC guy, but some of the new costumes are on point. Mr Fixit Hulk, Date Night Morrigan, Cowboy Ghost Rider, and, most exciting of all, "Someone actually remembered Demon's Crest" Firebrand. They're easy to see on the Japanese site.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:29 PM
Curious Young Gent

Mr Fixit Hulk is definitely the best costume so far.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:24 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Chun-Burch's costume is a nice pull...
Old 10-19-2017, 07:32 PM
Come, noble knights!

Nice to see a little bit of love for New Dante. He may be a different kind of asshole than the Dante we love, but his game had some really bitchin' art direction and level design.

BTW, anyone know what Spencer's outfit is based on? It looks familiar, but I'm not sure from where...
Old 10-19-2017, 07:38 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Nice to see a little bit of love for New Dante. He may be a different kind of asshole than the Dante we love, but his game had some really bitchin' art direction and level design.

BTW, anyone know what Spencer's outfit is based on? It looks familiar, but I'm not sure from where...
Don'te is awesome until the very very end of DmC.

Spencer's costume is called, "Gottfried", but I have no idea what that's a reference to.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Come, noble knights!

Did a quick search for "Gottfried Capcom" and he's a villain who was added to Bionic Commando: ReARMed. I still need to play that game.

Problem with being late to a console is there's so much other stuff to buy, too.

Tags
capcom , fighting games , hulk smash brothers , mahvel , mango sentinel , no x-men no peace , scooby-doom where are you , so pringles