The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Mystery Contraption

Of course, saying the final boss of Doom 2 is "kind of bullshit" is like saying that the Marianna's Trench isn't very tall.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Doin' up the house

Conceptually I don't really mind the idea; it's just a royal pain in the ass on UV and more or less requires you to savescum if you don't want to waste any more time than you already are. 'Aiming' in classic Doom is hard enough.

JR head's pretty neat though.

Anyway, I've been playing through the bonus level pack developed by Nerve Software, No Rest For The Living, on UV. It's quite worthy, in my estimation.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:04 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
The trailer I posted is not for Brutal Doom. I'm a bit confused about what we're talking about here.
Ohhhh okay. I assumed it was Brutal Doom with all the extra gore going on, but I guess that's just a part of the mod. Look, I don't know what I'm talking about anymore. Nevermind.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Ohhhh okay. I assumed it was Brutal Doom with all the extra gore going on, but I guess that's just a part of the mod. Look, I don't know what I'm talking about anymore. Nevermind.
*Falselogic continues to have fun playing Brutal DOOM*
Old 09-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Family Man

I shot all the demons in Normal/Hurt Me Plenty. Running around blasting things with the Super Shotgun is probably the most fun I've had all year. I cannot understand why this game didn't get more love. It fixed First Person Shooters. They're better know.

I'm going to go back to some of the earlier levels to find some of the many secrets that I missed before I upgraded my suit to have treasure radar. I only found two Classic Doom levels. How could I have missed so many?
Old 09-05-2016, 08:41 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Almost all of them are tiny switches hidden to blend in with the environment. They're easy to miss.

Play it on Ultraviolence! I played it that way the first time through and it was GREAT. Probably gonna go back for Nightmare eventually...? Maybe?!
Old 09-06-2016, 06:35 PM
Family Man

Is Doom an always online kind of game? I tried to play just now and it wouldn't work. PSN is undergoing maintenance or something, but I thought the Campaign would still be okay.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:38 AM
Mystery Contraption

I had the same problem with Mad Max, so it might be universal.

Or both are always online.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:48 AM

It's not always online on PC, or at least, it sure doesn't act like it since you have to manually choose (and reboot the client, apparently) to go for multiplayer or snapmap modes.

I definitely want to try Ultra Nightmare or whatever the 1-life/stage mode of new Doom is. I forget the name, but I was trying it earlier and it's just... so hard. There's all that pressure because you need to kill so many bad guys and also not get hit, and of course, there are tons of them. But that's what makes it fun.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Doin' up the house

Old 03-07-2017, 07:20 PM

I saw this on youtube today, it is a short John Romero digression on modern shooter design taken from what looks like one of his "play Doom and give an interview" things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9inuFJoSYIg

Surprisingly coherent/hard to argue with even though it's also a complete and utter "old man rant" It's only 2m30s, and you can probably get everything from the first half!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:31 AM
kill

If you have Amazon Prime you can download the DOOM 2016 soundtrack for free.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:22 AM

Only two levels in so far but I'm really enjoying it. It's fast, it's a good challenge and it looks so good. Exploration and platforming feel great. It doesn't really feel like the old games though. It feels more like Quake or Serious Sam, especially Serious Sam 3 (you should also play this great game).
Old 03-10-2017, 06:48 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Counterpoint: You should not play Serious Sam 3 because it is bad, and also sucks
Old 06-12-2017, 11:07 AM

Doom VFR, a VR game based on Doom 2016, was revealed yesterday. I think we're expecting a new game (not a VR romp through the existing game) with teleportation and stationary shooting. It is coming to PlayStation VR and Vive. (Not an Oculus exclusive?!)

The "F" is whichever "F" you care to use in "BFG". (source)

I'm reminded why I am a VR skeptic. The VR hype train over the past 5 years has given us advocates who have told us in the future VR will be this-and-that, be more advanced, cost less, etc. But no matter what heights are yet to be reached, it can still be very easily hand waved away if VR genres don't (and can't) encompass what you want to play.

Rewatching the trailer, it does look kinda neat though for a VR shooter. They show teleportation being used in more dynamic ways, like the player hitting a jump pad and then changing their landing spot while soaring through the air. At the end of the trailer, it looks like the player teleports towards an enemy to perform a glory kill.

Last edited by dosboot; 06-12-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:25 PM
oh my car

I seem to recall previously mentioning the mod D4D, Doom 4 Doom, which backports to Doom 1/2 (ZDoom and derivatives, really) all of the mechanics from Doom 2016 - weapons including branching upgrades, enemies, and so forth.

The same team has made a simplified Doom 4 adaptation, D4T, which provides a streamlined version of Doom 2016's weapons and enemies, so you still get the run-and-gun rhythm of the older game rather than ever having to drop into a menu for upgrades. I think it is my new favorite wad.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:10 PM
Gesundheit!

Has anyone here had issues on PS4 Doom with the dialogue not playing at all? I guess that since it's Doom, it's not critical to enjoying the game, but it still seems like a pretty huge bug. A Google search indicates that the problem is usually that the game isn't finished downloading, but mine's completely installed.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:41 AM
It's all good, man

I actually like the dialogue in that game
Old 07-17-2017, 06:42 AM
Gesundheit!

That's cool, I wish I could hear it then. Not sure what's going on.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:06 AM
i musnt run away

Delete and reinstall perhaps?
Old 07-17-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Has anyone here had issues on PS4 Doom with the dialogue not playing at all? I guess that since it's Doom, it's not critical to enjoying the game, but it still seems like a pretty huge bug. A Google search indicates that the problem is usually that the game isn't finished downloading, but mine's completely installed.
My friend had this when he began playing before it had fully downloaded - try rebuilding database.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:01 PM
Gesundheit!

It definitely finished downloading and installed completely, while the system was in rest mode. But I'll try both of those options, thanks. Haven't had a chance to use the system since last night.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:24 PM

Did you reset the console since then? That might fix it.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Gesundheit!

I just checked, and the PS4 is in fact still downloading the additional audio. I've never downloaded a game that did that before — one tier to allow you to start the game, another tier for the complete experience. Kind of weird, especially that it doesn't inform you of this in any way, but at least that solves my problem.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
I just checked, and the PS4 is in fact still downloading the additional audio. I've never downloaded a game that did that before — one tier to allow you to start the game, another tier for the complete experience. Kind of weird, especially that it doesn't inform you of this in any way, but at least that solves my problem.
I know Blizzard does it for some of their games? Where you can download but not play, play and continue to download in the background, and then finally play fully downloaded.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:41 PM
oh my car

I don't know if I'll ever again play Doom without MAJORKEY.WAD.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:28 AM

Been playing a lot of the older Dooms lately, streaming Doom 2 for entertainment on some weeknights on Ultra-Violence has been pretty fun. I haven't played much of Doom 2 aside from the first couple of levels with godmode on over and over, playing without relying on god mode and doing levels the real way: levels 10-19 are absurd, especially if you commit to pistol starts.

I'm at the string of gimmicky levels that starts with you trying to make a cyberdemon and spider mastermind fight each other and it's kind of a comedown from the white knuckle madness of the previous maps (FUCK the suburbs).

So I took a break from that and I'm playing through vanilla Doom 3 now, which is a pretty cherished gaming memory for me. I tried to get some HD texture packs working but they kept messing up. A shame because they looked great, but once I played with the blurry low res original work for a few levels, my eyes settled and I could start to appreciate the detail once more.

Surprisingly, I still find the game to be pretty tense to play, but I'm one of the weirdos that always enjoyed the interplay between the flashlight and your weapon. I keep forgetting to quick save and there's no checkpoints, so play sessions are cut short with deflating failures. A few knocks I have revisiting it:

-yeah, this game is pretty much the proto-modern shooter, audio logs, cutscenes, spongy enemies and the like, however it still sticks to a level based structure, games weren't quite to the point where everything could be a seamless line like in Bioshock (remember Half-Life 2's stab at it?)

-Speaking of half-life 2, man both these games feel archaic next to even Halo: CE, which is 3 years old by the time these games hit.

-The shotgun is extremely wimpy.

-Finally, those fuckin' points where a door opens to reveal an imp about to leap at you and there's literally nothing you can do but take the damage.

-Why didn't more games do the little trick with manipulating screens and other interfaces that this game did? Real cool little thing.

For fun I also played a bit of Quake 3 last night, which I never played before but got way back when on the complete ID collection pack on steam. I can't beat the bots -_-
Old 07-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ¡HarlequinPanic! View Post
-Speaking of half-life 2, man both these games feel archaic next to even Halo: CE, which is 3 years old by the time these games hit.
Have you read Waypoint's Halo retrospective? It's got tons of meat on the history of the game's development that led to that radically ahead of its time gameplay.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:04 AM

Also I believe that statement is precisely what the Combine or the forces of Hell would say, to throw us off.

Tags
doom , first-person shooters , huge guts , id software , rip and tear