The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 05-22-2017, 09:13 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Seven Seas publishes so much stuff that I'm struggling to even think of which comic BEAT would be referring to here
Be enlightened.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:20 AM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

Ah, right, they dropped that one like a nuclear potato after they found out the details of the later volumes as I recall.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 AM
Jinxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
That was a decade ago now. They're all about Yuri and Powerful Monster Girlfriends these days.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:44 AM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

hence my confusion over what we were even talking about, since I love both those things a lot
Old 05-22-2017, 09:57 AM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
I would prefer Vertical to handle it, since they tend to understand the ethos of the problematic material they publish, and handle it accordingly. But Devilman's prurient side kinda... fits right in with Seven Seas too.
Vertical seems to have mostly turned their back on the historical and/or transgressive stuff in the last few years. They still put out some neat stuff, though (BLAME! reissues for example). I'd love to see more Kyoko Okazaki stuff from them.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:21 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Default I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF THAT ONE'S A SEVEN SEAS PUBLICATION.

Look all I know is the last time I was in a Barnes and Nobel I went to the mango Section and saw the picture on the spine or something called "vampire Bund" and just said "Nope keep fucking walking".

Last edited by BEAT; 05-22-2017 at 10:22 AM. Reason: ALL I KNOW IS WHEN I SAW IT ALL I COULD THINK OF IS AV'S "KILLED AND EATEN THE VOICE CAST OF K-ON" POST.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I would prefer Vertical to handle it, since they tend to understand the ethos of the problematic material they publish, and handle it accordingly. But Devilman's prurient side kinda... fits right in with Seven Seas too.
It might encourage you to know that Zack Davisson, an extremely skilled translator who has previously worked on Shigeru Mizuki's stuff for Drawn and Quarterly, has been tapped to handle the translation here. I have a lot of faith in him to handle this correctly.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:33 PM
d.o_o.b

Quote:
It's not a manga I would recommend in any way (and Devilman Lady and Devilman Grimoire make it look family-friendly), but it's fascinating to see how Nagai deals with his, ahem, demons and how he lashes out at his contemporary culture so unabashedly.
I would! Devilman fucking rules and everyone should read it!
Old 05-27-2017, 07:25 AM
poisonous thread snake

Seven Seas is also putting out the original Captain Harlock?!

God damn!
Old 05-27-2017, 03:27 PM
Blue Comet

Noice!
Old 06-04-2017, 05:23 PM

I have discovered that this is a thing

And I would like to know more.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:02 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

It's basically just adaptations of the show's episodes. I believe it's all available in English and, interestingly, also available in single issue forms, a rarity nowadays.

Or is this something you already knew about and I missed something else you were getting at.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:21 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Delicious in Dungeon is out in English and it's really great.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
Delicious in Dungeon is out in English and it's really great.
It really is.

Anyone checked out Kodansha's digital rerelease of the original Battle Angel? They're saying it has a new translation (which is interesting, because I'm pretty sure they retained the Fred Burke one from Viz when they reprinted & finished Last Order... which I still need to finish), though judging from their choice of title it looks like they're still going with at least one of the name swaps...
Old 06-05-2017, 06:16 PM
poisonous thread snake

For those keeping up with Delicious in Dungeon scans...

The artwork and character designs are all great (the story is pretty standard but it's fine), but I'm sorta saddened that the original premise has mostly gone out the window. It seems like it's mostly becoming a pretty standard action/light-drama seinen manga. Laius being super, super weird was half the fun for the first half, I felt.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:47 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness is out tomorrow!!!!!
Old 06-06-2017, 08:22 PM
forbidden noise

i read two chapters and i feel like i'm dying. it's incredible, but super raw. couldn't make it more than a page without needing a breather.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:44 AM
poisonous thread snake

Boy, Golden Kamui is a bizarre mix of things. I enjoy the fact that the main characters are mostly just hanging out, hunting and cooking while the side characters drive the actual plotline.

For a series that (at least initially) hasn't shied away from gore, I wish Tsurumi's design was a little more gruesome. I'm sure what's under the mask will be shown sooner or later (I'm only about halfway through what's been translated), but in the meantime, he looks pretty tame for a guy who's had his face blown off.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:07 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

The After Hours is absolutely delightful and the characters seem like some of the most realistic I've seen in a story like this in a while. Also right after I finished reading it I saw Peg put a new thing up on Comic-Zin so now it's time to save up so I can import that.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:22 AM
poisonous thread snake

I read all of Battle Angel Alita (it ruled) and now I'm digging into Last Order. I like that Kishiro decided to get more into the space stuff but overall it just lacks the first series' weird, experimental fervor and reads more like a regular ol' fight comic.

The first series seemed like something that could have run in Afternoon. The second series seems right at home in Ultra Jump.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:56 AM
Not a Beer

There is a whole lot of fight comic in Last Order (though it becomes increasingly absurd sci-fi wizardry fight comic as it goes on, because Kishiro), but then there's also things like an entire book's worth of flashback to post-apocalyptic ice age vampires, also because Kishiro.

I can't defend it to be a work of art like the first series, but I still dig it.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:58 PM
Find Your Reason

Last Order also gets hyper-mystical with its Buddhism in its last fourth. It's almost like Saint Seiya levels of spiritual hand-to-hand fighting but with robots that look like a beefed up Ryu and the occasional cyborg.

That said, it was very good when it talked about anything other than vampires or tournaments.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:33 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
then there's also things like an entire book's worth of flashback to post-apocalyptic ice age vampires, also because Kishiro.
That was where I finally gave up on it. Dedicating a whole volume to a flashback for a character Kishiro just introduced robbed me of any remaining hope that he'd ever get back on track.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:33 AM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
That was where I finally gave up on it. Dedicating a whole volume to a flashback for a character Kishiro just introduced robbed me of any remaining hope that he'd ever get back on track.
The vampire/sunless Earth story is eventually the story of how Tiphares and Ladder come to be created, but it ultimately falls flat. You picked a good jumping-off point.

I'm at a point in the story where there are multiple Desty Novas running around (which is great), but the endless circle of "what is this secret technique?!?!?!?" space fights is really fucking boring.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:37 PM
Not a Beer

Honestly I kind of liked the flashback, partly for ultimately tying into the lore of how the whole setting came to be, but also it had an advantage because I was tickled that it took place in my old home town. I'm surprised in retrospect that more post-apocalypse setting haven't used the Gateway Arch, it's a pretty great visual.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:15 PM
twinkling photon

Kishiro drew Last Order with his heart on his sleeve, his pen clenched firmly in his right hand, and his editor in an inescapable chokehold under his left

It's fun to see the sort of meandering Eurocomic-ass excess he gets up to when he doesn't have a "track" to get back on. Not as compact or satisfying a story as BA:A, but still entertaining and true enough to the characters that it doesn't detract from it, either.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:51 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
Kishiro drew Last Order with his heart on his sleeve, his pen clenched firmly in his right hand, and his editor in an inescapable chokehold under his left

It's fun to see the sort of meandering Eurocomic-ass excess he gets up to when he doesn't have a "track" to get back on. Not as compact or satisfying a story as BA:A, but still entertaining and true enough to the characters that it doesn't detract from it, either.
I dunno- BA:A reads like a young guy working out his passions and obsessions and loving it. Last Order reads like a dude hacking it out 'cause he's stuck in his job and has bills to pay.

BA:A went to great pains to illustrate life and society in the Scrapyard, which really helped enrich Alita's story cycle, climaxing with Tiphares' failure. Last Order doesn't have any of that stuff. It's main plot point is a space-karate fighting tournament. It's just... bullshit.

Oh, and dropping Figure Four from the story was the worst idea of all. For all the stuff he changed to make Last Order's plot (barely) work, he couldn't figure out how to shoehorn in the best character from the previous series?
Old 06-20-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
I dunno- BA:A reads like a young guy working out his passions and obsessions and loving it. Last Order reads like a dude hacking it out 'cause he's stuck in his job and has bills to pay.
I wouldn't go that far-- the early parts of LO are definitely interested in weird worldbuilding, and even in ZOTT I get the feeling he's writing to amuse himself with supersonic thumb-wrestling and cyborg dick-slaps, as well as actively trying to put more women and black folks in his story (I reread the first six or so volumes of the original a few years back and in hindsight it's kind of glaring in comparison) but once ZOTT starts I definitely get the feeling he's just vamping (maybe because he had a lot of plans for Aqua Knight and it got cancelled out from under him). I mean, he's literally introducing characters based on fan art!

I still haven't finished LO or checked out his new, third Panzer Kunst series-- does he ever get back on track?

Last edited by Joe McGuffin; 06-20-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Uh, no. We're in a flashback in a flashback atm.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:41 PM
Blue Comet

BERSERK HAS GONE ON HIATUS AGAIN

Oh my God. I mean...seriously, just fuck my shit up. Again. ;_____;

Tags
ウエアブー , comics , derision , don't read anime , don't watch anime , fear of new threads , maagn , magma , magna , manga , manganese , mangos , powerful monster gf , recommendations