The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-23-2017, 06:02 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Agreed on most of that. As far as being a product of its time, a few other things: Gex's sprite was a computer render (which had the side effect of making it look like he didn't belong in the game worlds...which kind of works well, come to think of it). He also had a slightly gritty backstory: he was a TV addict mainly because he was really down about his dad dying. His father was a NASA astronaut that died in a tragic accident. Gex also inherited a fortune when his rich uncle died. Basically, it seems like they felt the need to explain how he could just be a slacker who watched TV all day without apparently having a job. A game about a anthropomorphic gecko. Yes.

The passwords are easily found online if you copied them down wrong. However, there's a second issue: they don't save your life count. Chances are if you're decent at platformers, you'll finish world 1 flush with over a dozen lives. Try to restart the game with said password, and you're back down to just a few. That really sucks. It also means that if you try to resume the game on a password at one of the later worlds, you might need to farm for lives to get through tougher stages.

There's also a pretty tedious route to getting to a final world and true ending that involves clearing all of the bonus stages or whatever. Since nearly all of the bonus stages are pretty tough, I never even tried.

I definitely agree it's a good game, and even having a way to continue the game is something not all games of the era gave you. However, a game with the interface that Gex does (with the overworld map, ability to revisit old stages, and bonus stages that you're supposed to beat for full completion) really could have used a better implementation of saving. Apparently the 3DO version did let you save to the console, but I'm not sure how much it actually stored, and chances are 99% of people are going to be playing the PlayStation version anyway.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:19 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Oh, and I have been on a Crash Bandicoot binge recently. I can vouch for The HUGE Adventure on GBA being a really good game. It's basically a weird mashup that resembles a console Crash game almost entirely from side-view. It seems to copy elements of Crash 2's story, with level designs and music cribbed from Crash 2, but with the special moves and hub design of Crash 3. It's kind of like to Crash 2 what Sonic Pocket Adventure is to Sonic 2. It's not *literally* Crash 2, but like a remix of sorts.

What's especially cool about it is that it feels like one of the console Crash games' side view style of play. Crash has the same "weight" that the console games give him, so it isn't jarring to jump from one of the classic games to it. Crash and enemy sprites are computer rendered, resembling the style of the console games' polygon models very well. It has some of the more player-friendly elements introduced in the later console games. You have a battery save that you can use anytime you are in the hub, which saves your gems/relics/life count, and the multi-bounce boxes only take 5 bounces to yield all their fruit and break (a la Crash 3) instead of 10. Apparently the sequel, N-Traced, is as good and is more based on Crash 3's levels. N-Tranced and Crash Nitro Kart are both available on a Superpack cartridge, as well.

Rayman has a few portable, 2D games as well. Rayman 1 and Rayman 2 on Game Boy Color try to translate the original two games, but seem to have fairly poor visuals and frankly ear-splitting music. However, Rayman 3 for GBA looks pretty gorgeous and sounds great. It's also...kind of a weird mashup. It has the story of Rayman 2, enemies and elements from 2 and 3 both, and seems to have mostly original level designs. Finally, skipping over Raving Rabbids, Rayman: Hoodlum's Revenge is kind a weird one-off one that actually tries to duplicate the 3D gameplay of the console Rayman games by using isometric design.

EDIT: Eh, playing a little further, Hoodlum's Revenge has a hell of a lot of problems. Not really liking it.

Last edited by Andrew; 07-23-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:28 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
I can't vouch for the sequels, but the first Gex is one of the better platformers at a time when the genre started to lose its hold on players.
I've played Gex 2, and I'd say it was pretty alright. Like, it's no Crash or Spyro, but it's a competent enough 3D platformer for the era in which it was made.

That said, it has been almost two decades since I've played it, so YMMV.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:33 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Yeah, I liked Gex 2 and 3 well enough, but I can't remember if I beat any of them. I did rent them, though. They kind of blend together in my memory.

They're pretty much a poor man's Mario 64. Same kind of deal do objective a to get a remote, do objective b to get another remote, etc. The game has a flying kick that works almost exactly like Mario's long jump in SM64, and you can climb on only certain walls and surfaces.

All 3 Gex games are on PSN.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:09 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Shit I need to catch up on this thread. I did a video on Crash Bandicoot games this month and that covers all the platformers in the original series. Franchise and Lows: Crash Bandicoot. Can't link it right now.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:39 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

I checked it out, madhair, and really liked it. In fact, it couldn't have been timed better. I was practically ready to abandon Crash Twinsanity. However, you mentioning you also had trouble with the level on the ship, and inferring that was probably the biggest bump in the road as far as the game goes encouraged me to press on. **** that ****ing walrus chase.

I am through most of The Academy of Evil as of this moment. I think I mostly agree about your sentiment with the bosses. Dingodile in this is one of the best Crash bosses I think I've fought before.

I am noticing a recurring pattern. Basically, the levels where you run towards the screen? Everyone on the internet seems insistent they always suck but I've not found them to be too bad except for gem runs.

However, they're not done particularly well here. In the Naughty Dog games, Crash is quite a ways back on the screen and you can see a lot more of what's coming and react to it easier than in Twinsanity. In Twinsanity, I've had maybe a split second to hop a pit before death. Repeatedly, the parts that have sapped lives from me have all been levels of that style. In fact, the part I'm currently at has another one of those. It's the rooftop part with Nina--I always die getting across the creates. I don't have a dash jump to help me get ahead, either.

Due to the way the life and checkpoint system is, I've found that I've been better served to try to learn a level's individual quirks first, hopefully not losing a lot of lives, and then reload from the last hard save, and plough through.

Aside from that. Nina Cortex is quite fun to play as. Basically, she plays a lot like Crash but the slide move is changed out with a bionic arm grapple, and I believe she lacks the double jump.

The game does feel, as you mentioned, unfinished. It seems like they either were trying to go for something new deliberately (after unsuccessfully trying to clone ND's style with Wrath), or mimic Jak & Daxter's structure. Yet, since they didn't actually make it in the same style of the J&D island, and you can't easily warp around to the levels for replaying (the game even tends to lock you into a path once you started to take it), I've been less inclined to go after the gems. Platform jumping ranges from being just fine to being frustrating. Usually you don't need to double jump, but sometimes you need to in order to make those single-floating block landings--which are often hard to gauge for lack of shadows/relative perspective. Insta-kill nitro boxes even with a mask is really annoying. I guess it would make a lot of sections too easy, but it seems like a lot of gems I have to sacrifice lives to get. I've bypassed gems where I could not figure out any way to get to them without dying via nitro crates.

It's intermittently frustrating and fun, and to some extent, I'm fine with that. I may ultimately finish it since I've come this far. It just needs some slightly more frequent hard-save points in some places. And those chase levels needed a perspective shift.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:49 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Game for 7/31 to 8/6

B.O.B. a.k.a. Space Funky B.O.B. (in Japan)
Published by: Electronic Arts
Developed by: Grey Matter Inc (SNES), Foley Hi-Tech Systems (Genesis)
Released: June 1993
Platforms: Super Nintendo and Genesis

Most of the other games up until now we could at least identify what the main character was, or was supposed to be. B.O.B., I originally assumed was a robot. Just look at him. Kind of gives me a Johnny Five with a Mega Man arm vibe. However, apparently he's from outer space and has rather organic looking antennae. So I guess he's a creepy bug monster from space...with attitude! The game's plot insists he has a father and he is trying to escape an asteroid he crashed on to make it to a date, so...yeah, I guess he's an alien bug monster. However, in-game, his animations and abilities scream robot to me. Whatever. Maybe he's related to both Toe Jam & Earl.

Anyway, B.O.B. has two credited developers differing by platform, so I don't know what was the lead team/platform. However, the SNES version is developed by the same team who brought us the SNES titles Ren & Stimpy Veediots!, and Waynes World! So we're in good hands here! Actually, I kid. I did play the game first. It seems alright, at the very least.

However, despite initial appearances, the game is not a run and gun. You have limited ammo, and a time limit. The time limit doesn't seem too bad, at least initially. I'll have to get farther to really say. However, one noticeable flaw is that there are pits that have hazards at the bottom of them, some of which seem to be inescapable. Plus, they have power ups sometimes over them. Or rather, power-downs--it seems the most common thing to show up over pits is the weak standard gun. Usually I've had a better gun at the time, so I've generally avoiding those when I saw them).

So far the levels seem to be somewhat blandly strong together metallic platforms and similar frame works, but it has some nice looking animation, and perhaps the most blatant looking Ridley Scott's Alien eggs I've ever seen in a game. So whether it rises above average or not is what I'm curious to find out.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:02 PM
The Goggles do Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
So whether it rises above average or not is what I'm curious to find out.
Spoilers: Nope.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:06 PM

I was playing this over the weekend. You switch ammo and "remotes" (tools) using the shoulder buttons. You can also switch while paused. Those pits with ammo over them seem mostly in the first areas. You can use your trampoline or helicopter remote to escape though. I would keep one of those remotes ready, but it's not going to prevent some screw ups. Holding down crouch also lowers the camera a little bit, but it doesn't always help a lot.

If you don't die, ammo is very plentiful! You can use spread as your main gun really. Dying resets your ammo, and continues send you back to your last password-level (every 3 or so levels). I've been playing by using save states to restart after deaths, but I'm tempted to abandon that. Or perhaps do a parallel playthrough where I use regular continues.

In my experience, choosing your weapons carefully and/or saving your ammo doesn't create very much leverage. Meaning, it's not like Doom, where there is a point to saving your rockets or using the shotgun against certain enemies. Fire away for the most part.

For example, the flame is introduced as being a nice weapon against hatching eggs, but all weapons work well and you get more flame ammo near every egg anyway. I learned I could use flame as a main gun whenever I felt like it, just like spread. The lightning gun is the 2nd rarest ammo type and kills most enemies in one hit, but that doesn't mean it is a spectacular improvement either, even against bosses. The super spread (the last weapon slot) is the rarest type. I've only seen one ammo pick up per boss and each ammo only gives a few shots. I'd save that for the bosses (which are pretty rare, maybe once per 10 levels?). Again, you can't really get leverage out of it during the levels, but it's no biggie if you lose it before the boss either.

The main thing is that spread and homing can kill enemies above and below you more easily.

You can aim upwards! I didn't realize this until just a few hours ago, a while after I already defeated the 2nd boss whose weak spots are on the ceiling. You can't aim up while jumping though, which is what confused me.

One weird difficulty spike was an early level where near the end there was an enemy camping the bottom of a ladder. In retrospect, I should have just used a smart bomb or shield that I'd been saving (and which have little use honestly!). When hit, there isn't any knockback with invincibility, and I think I couldn't shoot the guy when he was on top of me. Try not to let enemies walk on top of you.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:22 PM
Just bear with me

Yeah, B.O.B. bites. If you insist on playing it, it's one of the games on EA Replay for the PSP, which is neither difficult to find or afford.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:30 AM
Come, noble knights!

I'd give Crash Twinsanity a look if it was only available via the PS2 on PS4 service. Like, I could get The Wrath of Cortex on Xbox 360 via Xbox Originals if I want to (the opening taking seven-frickin'-minutes is dissuading me), and 360 also has those games where Crash hijacks monsters, but Twinsanity's the (non-GBA) one I'm most interested in trying.

Speaking of Crash, to go a bit off-topic from the thread's platformer theme I can vouch for Crash Nitro Kart's GBA adaptation. Seriously one of the best racing games on the Game Boy Advance.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:29 PM

This game is like Alien 3 with C-3PO instead of Ripley.

I do often find the enemy placement to be a little thoughtless. Lots of running into guys all of a sudden, or alternatively predicting the rhythm of when bad guys appear and firing before they are fully visible. For all the ammo you get, the game is never much about combat either. Enemies die quickly and you almost always have to contend with 1 at a time. B.O.B. really wants to be about the "level blitz". I think I've grown on that actually, even if it is a little flawed.

I decided to go ahead with starting a parallel playthrough without using save states as level checkpoints. I reached the second world once again (after defeating the 2nd boss). The higher stakes and ephemeral equipment creates a certain seat-of-your-pants adventure that has its own charm. You don't want to die on the second boss though, since it sends you back quite a few levels. He has a dangerous second phase where he periodically does a horizontal charge across the screen. I recommend using a shield or invincibility power to dodge this. You'll surely regret it if you don't.

The second world from what I've seen uses the traversal powers more, with both mandatory moments and moments of optional usage to skip sections. There are also two new annoying elements: instant death traps that you can step on accidentally, and these big guys with a Falcon punch that sends you flying backwards.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:32 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

It's a spinoff, but still worth a mention.

I don't know if Twinsanity will ever get the re-release, but with the N. Sane Trilogy doing well and Twinsanity being probably the best received game after that next to CTR, it's possible. Although a) a Spyro Trilogy Remaster and b) a Crash Racing Trilogy Remaster are more likely, I think.

However, note that the Xbox version is backwards compatible on 360, and both versions of the game support widescreen.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:08 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
a Spyro Trilogy Remaster
I've been hoping this would happen ever since the Crash N. Sane Trilogy happened, and I was surprised/disappointed that it wasn't announced at E3 2017.

Quote:
However, note that the Xbox version is backwards compatible on 360, and both versions of the game support widescreen.
Albeit with some glitches thanks to the general shoddiness of the emulation of OG Xbox games on the 360. =/

Looks like the way to go is the PS2 bundle that has it paired with the later racing games. It's got the least ripping-you-off price for a new copy on the after market.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:26 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

That may not be the emulation? It's a glitchy game anyway. I'm playing the PS2 version on an actual PS2, yet there are plenty of glitches. Depends on what problems you're having, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I've been hoping this would happen ever since the Crash N. Sane Trilogy happened, and I was surprised/disappointed that it wasn't announced at E3 2017.
I assume they wanted to see how well NST actually did first. It seems like it may have a pretty long tail (the amount of content and value for the price doesn't hurt). I worry that they'll assume that they can sell each game individually for 20-30 dollars, though. Then again, Crash was always a bigger deal than Spyro, so maybe they'll not take that chance.

However, in either case, I assume the later games in the respective series are probably going to be put on the back burner. To some extent, most players assume the games were bad post PS1 and may ignore them anyway.

Wrath of Cortex has a horrible reputation. Twinsanity seems to have an okay rep. I've seen that Crash of the Titans has a split reputation--many people think it's a decent game, just not a great Crash game. It's biggest problem is that it is very easy. Nobody likes Mind over Mutant except for N. Brio's cutscenes.

In M.O.M., Maurice LaMarche voices the character and does a fantastic job. It's kind of interesting that he apparently positions himself as the guy responsible for any measure of Cortex's successes, he just didn't get credit for it. LaMarche's Brain character from Pinky and the Brain was one of the main inspiration behind Cortex in the first place. Most of the comedy in M.O.M. misses, so Brio being a highlight is notable.

Twinsanity is probably the funniest game in the series up to this point, though. Lex Lang is Cortex and definitely is a more inept, goofy, Saturday-Morning-Villain take on the character. I'm guessing Traveler's Tales are not fans of Coco, because she is kind of treated like garbage in this. The game starts with her being zapped, so Cortex can use a really bad disguise of her to make Crash follow her. They zap her again later in the game. I haven't finished it yet, but I doubt she does much of note after. Really, the game doesn't do a very good job with its female characters at all. Nina appears in a chapter, is playable, has had zero lines of dialogue so far in the game (she has a voice actress credit, so I guess she says something, eventually), and after kicking ass by herself for quite a while, gets kidnapped to advance the plot. There's also a random female boss character, who actually has a voice and dialogue. Just a hateful old bat who is a teacher at the Academy of Evil. It was 2004. One of the funniest random gags I've seen is that when they show Cortex as a child, he has a lower case "n" on his forehead. That just killed me for some reason.

Last edited by Andrew; 07-31-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:20 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
That may not be the emulation? It's a glitchy game anyway. I'm playing the PS2 version on an actual PS2, yet there are plenty of glitches. Depends on what problems you're having, I guess.
The Xbox 360 emulates the Xbox games it supports, and the games often end up with issues they didn't have on Xbox. Here's a list that details some of them.

Quote:
I assume they wanted to see how well NST actually did first.
Good point.

Quote:
I assume the later games in the respective series are probably going to be put on the back burner. To some extent, most players assume the games were bad post PS1 and may ignore them anyway.
They're certainly more of a mixed bag. Wrath of Cortex didn't exactly inspire confidence in post-Naughty Dog Crash, that's for sure. And Spyro's post-Insomniac/pre-Skylanders days were filled with games that regularly got middling to bad reviews.

Quote:
I've seen that Crash of the Titans has a split reputation--many people think it's a decent game, just not a great Crash game. It's biggest problem is that it is very easy.
Given how Fuck You hard the series generally is, I personally don't consider the game being too easy a problem. I'll keep it in mind.

Quote:
In M.O.M., Maurice LaMarche voices the character and does a fantastic job. It's kind of interesting that he apparently positions himself as the guy responsible for any measure of Cortex's successes, he just didn't get credit for it. LaMarche's Brain character from Pinky and the Brain was one of the main inspiration behind Cortex in the first place. Most of the comedy in M.O.M. misses, so Brio being a highlight is notable.
I knew it, I never trusted N. Brio back when I played Crash 2. If he was really so concerned about stopping Neo Cortex's crystal plan he would've used his limitless resources and army of mooks to get the dang gems himself instead of trying to kill Crash.

Speaking of LaMarche, he voices N. Brio in the N.Sane Trilogy, too. He's rather unhinged in the Crash 2 remake.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:22 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

I had a longer reply, but seems the board ate it. Ah well.

Quote:
The Xbox 360 emulates the Xbox games it supports, and the games often end up with issues they didn't have on Xbox. Here's a list that details some of them.
It mentions slowdown on Rooftop Rumble, which isn't really an issue on my PS2 version (some dropped frames maybe), but that's all.

Quote:
They're certainly more of a mixed bag. Wrath of Cortex didn't exactly inspire confidence in post-Naughty Dog Crash, that's for sure. And Spyro's post-Insomniac/pre-Skylanders days were filled with games that regularly got middling to bad reviews.
Yeah, but Spyro generally had it worse. Enter the Dragonfly is worse than Wrath of Cortex by a country mile. A Hero's Tail is competent but average as hell. Spyro had no good portable games at all, while Crash had two good platformers and Nitro Kart on GBA. The Crash racing games were all good to great.

One area Spyro may have come out better on is that while both him and Crash had very combat-focused game series (Crash of the Titans/Mind over Mutant), Crash started strong and the follow up was a wet fart. I think Krome's Legend of Spyro games (A New Beginning and Eternal Night) were decent, if far from the series' roots, and the third game by a different developer--Dawn of the Dragon--was actually good. It helps to know the story in the prior games. I have a soft spot for the Legend of Spyro games, even if I hesitate to recommend them. If you find the 360 or PS3 version of Dawn of the Dragon cheap, pick it up. If nothing else, you'll find it will have high resale value. At worst, all you have to lose is time and you might make a few bucks for your trouble.

Then again, Spyro did get revived for Skylanders. **** Skylanders.

Quote:
Given how Fuck You hard the series generally is, I personally don't consider the game being too easy a problem. I'll keep it in mind.
I think the PS1 series' difficulty isn't too bad. The games are generally fine to beat, difficult to complete. I have less of a taste for time trial stuff (and I think that it has no place being put in Crash 1 for NST. That game is not made for speed runs, IMO). So my approach to the games falls in between. I have beaten them and gotten/aimed for most of the gems. Time trials can go to hell.

Crash 1's save system was odd even for the time, I think, but the NST version changed that, anyway.

Quote:
I knew it, I never trusted N. Brio back when I played Crash 2. If he was really so concerned about stopping Neo Cortex's crystal plan he would've used his limitless resources and army of mooks to get the dang gems himself instead of trying to kill Crash.

Speaking of LaMarche, he voices N. Brio in the N.Sane Trilogy, too. He's rather unhinged in the Crash 2 remake.
Personally, I think he's always had a screw loose.

*tiddy boom*

But yeah, most of the cast is not the originals, because they were generally re-cast after the Playstation 1 games. Lex Lang replaced Clancy Brown's Cortex in Twinsanity onward, Debi Derryberry has been Coco since Wrath of Cortex, Corey Burton and DiMaggio have done work in the games prior as well, etc.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:16 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Yeah, but Spyro generally had it worse. Enter the Dragonfly is worse than Wrath of Cortex by a country mile. A Hero's Tail is competent but average as hell. Spyro had no good portable games at all, while Crash had two good platformers and Nitro Kart on GBA. The Crash racing games were all good to great.
Oh yeah, definitely. Pretty sure one of the factors that resulted in Crash's post-Sony team games being better (particularly the GBA games) was that the gameplay was already basically 2.5D. Like, the visuals were polygonal, but the gameplay's primarily a mix of top-down vertical tubes and straight up 2D platforming sections so it's a lot easier to keep it faithful and generally harder to fuck it up.

Quote:
I think Krome's Legend of Spyro games (A New Beginning and Eternal Night) were decent, if far from the series' roots, and the third game by a different developer--Dawn of the Dragon--was actually good. It helps to know the story in the prior games. I have a soft spot for the Legend of Spyro games, even if I hesitate to recommend them. If you find the 360 or PS3 version of Dawn of the Dragon cheap, pick it up. If nothing else, you'll find it will have high resale value. At worst, all you have to lose is time and you might make a few bucks for your trouble.
Only things I know about Legend of Spyro are 1) they advertised the hell out of getting Frodo Baggins to voice him, and 2) I think they're the games that introduced Girl Spyro...err, Cynder.

Anyway, looks like Dawn of the Dragon's on XBLA, so I'll keep it in mind, too.

Quote:
Then again, Spyro did get revived for Skylanders. **** Skylanders.
I am indifferent to Skylanders.

Well, that's not true. I have been entertaining the thought of picking up Skylanders: Imaginators, not only 'cuz Crash and Cortex are in it but 'cuz I'm interested in trying it out.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:22 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

I have just beaten Crash Twinsanity! Fun times. Oh, and I just got a PS4 Pro, so looking forward to playing Ratchet and Clank reboot (among other titles).

(Oh, and HLTB Crash Twinsanity--a leisurely trek with 93% completion was 6 hours on the dot. Eh, may as well go back and get those missing gems for the heck of it when I have time to kill here and there. Would be the first for me for a Crash game I think.)

Quote:
Oh yeah, definitely. Pretty sure one of the factors that resulted in Crash's post-Sony team games being better (particularly the GBA games) was that the gameplay was already basically 2.5D. Like, the visuals were polygonal, but the gameplay's primarily a mix of top-down vertical tubes and straight up 2D platforming sections so it's a lot easier to keep it faithful and generally harder to fuck it up.
Yeah, it is apples and oranges. Honestly, one the biggest challenges of Twinsanity was wrapping my head around a fully 3D Crash game. It is a bit hard to get used to the idea even as you play it.

Quote:
Only things I know about Legend of Spyro are 1) they advertised the hell out of getting Frodo Baggins to voice him, and 2) I think they're the games that introduced Girl Spyro...err, Cynder.
I didn't follow the marketing, so Elijah Wood was a surprise when I first played A New Beginning. Some voices changed throughout, though, but they seemed to lock him down for all 3 games.

Quote:
Anyway, looks like Dawn of the Dragon's on XBLA, so I'll keep it in mind, too.
Cool. I like it, but it also seems kind of a soft reboot, being from a different developer, and having a time skip between it and the last game. It's pretty weird for being the third in an apparent trilogy.

Quote:
I am indifferent to Skylanders.

Well, that's not true. I have been entertaining the thought of picking up Skylanders: Imaginators, not only 'cuz Crash and Cortex are in it but 'cuz I'm interested in trying it out.
They seemed to be mediocre dungeon crawlers/loot drop games with toys that store the game data. Was never up my alley.

Last edited by Andrew; 08-01-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:15 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Just want to pop my head in to disagree that Spyro had no good handheld games. Seasons of Ice and Flame were good and Attack of the Rhynocs, the third game, was excellent. Spyro Fusion was a war crime though.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:41 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

I generally have little patience for isometric games, so maybe that's on me. Maybe worth looking at later. BTW, the Spyro GBA box art is something else. Kind of looks like it came out of the same generic cute style as Acrobat Kid, although in Spyro's case I think it actually looks kind of worse than the original design by far. Oh well.

Anyway, B.O.B. was a bit of a letdown, but things are looking up next. Yeah, we had a cast-off "mascot" that probably was merely a cynical attempt to cash in on a trend or reuse old code. Up next, we have something more promising. A genuine, bona-fide "mascot" platformer that kind of was that for real for his console debut. Although, he would eventually make his way to many, many other systems, including Nintendo and Amiga.

Game for 8/7 to 8/13

Bonk's Adventure a.k.a. PC Genjin (in Japan)
Published by: NEC (USA) Hudson Soft (JPN)
Developed by: Red Company, Atlus
Released: Dec 1989 (JPN), USA (1990)
Platforms: TG-16/PC Engine, later to NES, Game Boy, Amiga.
(Ports of the Turbo/PCE version available on Playstation Network, Virtual Console for Wii, and WiiU).

Alternate: Bonk's Revenge

Okay, this is more like it. This is the first of what will be many "caveman" platformers as well. It seemed like both Western and Japanese developers would many, many times throw aside things like "historical and scientific accuracy" to feature games that would feature stone-age human characters, and would for the hell of it, throw them in games where they would encounter, fight, and often beat the hell out of, dinosaurs.

Whether by ignorance, exploiting ignorance, or an attitude "it's awesome, shut up!" this was pretty common, but basically all of these characters are extinct today. However, the best-remembered by far is Bonk, who became the defacto mascot for the PC Engine and Turbo Grafx 16 (hell, the Japanese version basically had it in its title). Bonk himself had a downloadable HD revival in the works called, cruelly enough, "Brink of Extinction" that was cancelled before release. Let's just think about that considering recent events...hm.

On the upside, the original two PC/Turbo titles are readily available on many download services. I remember the sequel, Bonk's Revenge, being one of the first games I downloaded for Wii Virtual Console, and quite liking it. It seems many people liked the sequel more than the original, but either is worth looking at for this occasion.

These titles aren't to be confused with the Super Famicom "Super Bonk" or the Japan-exclusive "Super Bonk 2," but play 'em if you got 'em.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:20 PM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Just want to pop my head in to disagree that Spyro had no good handheld games. Seasons of Ice and Flame were good and Attack of the Rhynocs, the third game, was excellent. Spyro Fusion was a war crime though.
Good lord, I'm actually agreeing with Madhair. Uh, anyway... Spyro is pretty faithful to the Playstation trilogy despite the limitations of the Game Boy Advance hardware. Then again, those games were all isometric, and that viewpoint has been known to give some gamers hives. I'm not super fond of that perspective either, but it was a necessary evil to make Spyro a free-roaming platformer on the GBA.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Come, noble knights!

I'd expect that the GBA Spyro titles would be much more accessible via emulation or a Game Boy Player, where you can substitute an analog stick for the D-pad. Those GBA and DS pads were uncomfortable for large amounts of diagonal movement.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:33 PM
poisonous thread snake

Bonk 1 and 2 are definitely B-B+ rank platformers on the Not-Mario scale. Good, solid, fun games with appealing graphics and sound design. A little rough, but we're talking high end 8-bit, not 16-bit.

Bonk 3 and Super are more "weird playground" than "platformer" with their emphasis on bizarre mini-games, powerups and setpieces but I find them to be well-made, enjoyable artifacts of their time.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:52 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

I'm generally of the "gives me hives" sort when it comes to isometric games. It can also depend on the controller, though. I didn't think Sonic 3D Blast was *quite* as painful as being kicked in the groin when I played it on Saturn. Although Spot Goes to Hollywood on the PlayStation, just wouldn't gel for me. You could configure that one either to move forward/back/left/right either with the cardinal directions or the diagonal, and I never could quite feel comfortable with it. I'm not entirely sure if those games just sucked or I did at them. Those games tend to be split review-wise, anyway.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:17 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
If it looks like Maximo isn't doing it for you, be sure to give Amy of Zin a go before giving up on it. I preferred it by far.
I have played both, and have some thoughts. First off, both are quite good games. They share some similarities. They are vastly different games, though, with Ghosts to Glory being a 3D platformer with some stiff combat mechanics, and Army of Zin being like (ironically enough) an arcade-style hack and slash, with influence from Devil May Cry.

I really want to play more of Ghosts to Glory, but here's the thing: it demands much of you. Your time, your patience, and a willingness to deal with some unfortunate limitations. Despite being a 3D platformer, it has no camera control other than recentering the camera behind you. Also, money is necessary to pick up as much of as possible. You use it to acquire upgrades, get power-ups in a pinch, you use it to save, and you use it if you need to use a continue. Apparently when it comes to continuing--inflation applies. I haven't actually gotten far enough *to* save. The game has pretty generous checkpoints, you can find extra lives by exploring, but to save your progress apparently requires going through multiple levels first. So you might have to go something like 45 minutes to an hour to save for the first time. For that reason I am probably not going to spend much quality time with it now. In the fall or winter? Very likely.

Despite being an early-gen PS2 game, I think the game still looks darn nice. It has a very nostalgia, cartoony style. No cel-shading here, but it does a great job evoking the look of Susumu Matsushita's art (the artist who did the cover, as well as many Japanese box arts, but best known to us for his work on the Adventure Island games' art). The initial levels are all graveyard themed, and manage to be both grim and spooky, but light and bright enough for everything to really pop visually. Plus, dat PS2 fog is in steady supply. The game has secrets and hidden areas everywhere. Many of them are not obvious and I only noticed them while watching some gameplay on a video. Some breakable walls here, a window that can be shattered here, all make it feel very much flush with things to see and do. The combat is a bit stiff, as mentioned. This was before action games with heavy combat were kind enough to give you dodge rolling as a basic mechanic. However, it seems generally manageable enough. The game has a reputation as one of the hardest games on the PS2, one that doesn't seem undeserved even in these early stages. However, it seems also to be game you can really sink your teeth into as well.

Army of Zin is still a good game, even if it seems a bit less unique than the first. In fact, sheer raw fun-wise, I've enjoyed it more so far--but I've also gotten farther (this one has selectable difficulty--but after my Normal run maybe I'll go for Hard). It has platforming elements, and exploration, but feels more like a T-rated Devil May Cry than the original Maximo. You earn permanent upgrades by buying them from a shop with the money you collect. You can now save between levels so you don't have to blow cash on that part of it. One the best additions is that when you enter new areas, enemies will often be chasing after NPCs and trying to kill them. If you intervene and save them, you'll typically get an item, a power-up, or even some coins. Just like in House of the Dead or Lollipop Chainsaw. The combat is far smoother and combo-oriented. You have a combo-counter now, and Maximo can even use the Stinger.

Both games are available as PS2 Classics on PS3, it seems, but are not available on PS4 yet.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:15 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Bonk 1 and 2 are definitely B-B+ rank platformers on the Not-Mario scale. Good, solid, fun games with appealing graphics and sound design. A little rough, but we're talking high end 8-bit, not 16-bit.
Yeah, many quirks about it make that abundantly clear. The respawning enemies are particularly annoying. For the most part you can scroll them off the screen, but dragonflies in general are a total pain.

A weird mechanic that probably everyone knows is that if you do the headbutt in the air and mash/use the turbo button you glide gently downward while attacking the whole while. Very useful, especially for getting past many of the tricky bits. The regular diving headbutt is a weird mechanic because of the angle and timing, though. In most cases, enemies lined up you can bounce from one to the other easily, but when flying enemies are involved, it's often a crapshoot.

Most of this isn't really all that bad, though. Generally really pleasant and fun game.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:15 PM
Just bear with me

You ever play the arcade version of Bonk's Adventure? That was a weird one, even by Bonk standards. Stages are linear, Bonk doesn't have his flippy glide, and he carries smileys on his head, trying to bring them to the goal at the end of each stage. I think it was a redemption game, but it works okay as a straight action title, if you're not expecting anything resembling depth. It also adds to the Bonk mythos in weird ways, adding a female caveman as the second player and what could possibly be Bonk's offspring as a brainwashed boss.

Oh yeah, one other thing... MTJ appears in the high score table in the Japanese version (but not the credits), and there's a stage which looks strangely reminiscent of Rainbow Islands. I haven't been able to confirm or deny that Fukio Mitsuji, the Bubble Bobble guy, had anything to do with the game, but the evidence is pretty compelling.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:58 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Oh yeah, one other thing... MTJ appears in the high score table in the Japanese version (but not the credits), and there's a stage which looks strangely reminiscent of Rainbow Islands. I haven't been able to confirm or deny that Fukio Mitsuji, the Bubble Bobble guy, had anything to do with the game, but the evidence is pretty compelling.
Bonk Arcade was developed by Kaneko, who had done a lot of work for Taito. Fukio Mitsuji was working freelance at the time. Your theory seems pretty likely. Maybe he was a consultant?
Old 08-09-2017, 08:38 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Speaking of which, aside from Bonk's ground headbutt, and the diving headbutt from the air, when Bonk jumps, if he hits enemies from below with the top of his head, he'll damage them. I'm not sure if this works if they're in an attack animation, but it can be helpful dealing with airborne or jumping enemies. However, it also reminds me how in Bubble Bobble, Bub and Bob headbutt enemies trapped in bubbles to defeat them.

Oh, while Bonk doesn't have a bubble move, if you do a ground headbutt while in in the powered-up rockhead state, enemies are turned to stone temporarily (even in mid-air). Regular headbutts don't seem to affect them when they are in this state, but if you are able to jump under them, you'll kill them like normally (and a lot like B+B take out bubbled enemies).

Plus, there's the whole thing about Bub and Bob's forms in BB being, well, dinosaurs.

Tags
fractured furry tales , gamespite unfun club , let's go bub(sy) , mascot masochism , terribly vexxed