The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-30-2008, 03:12 PM
First Crusade! Judge!

Default Fighting Games!

So I only just noticed that we don't really have a general thread for fighting games. I mean, we have one for shoot-'em-ups, a category that is even more obscure! So here's to you, you poor, poorly-understood genre

I've lately been focusing on Guilty Gear Accent Core (Faust), Melty Blood Act Cadenza (Satsuki, with a little Len and Warcueid on the side) and Arcana Heart 2 (Kasuga). I'm thinking of getting into Jojo's Bizarre Adventure too, now that it's supported by Neo Final Burn Alpha. All the videos I've seen of it point to a solid (with the exception of Petshop) fighter with good balance, and besides, I can't deny that I love the manga. I've been meaning to start Super Turbo as well, but it seems sort of useless with the rebalanced HD Remix version coming out in the near future.

Two fairly obscure games that I play are Eternal Fighter Zero and Immaterial and Missing Power, both by doujin circle Tasogare Frontier. EFZ features characters from Key Visual Arts's visual novels, up through Kanon, and it's pretty awesome. It's a bit of a shameless Guilty Gear clone, but it borrows a lot of concepts from SNK and Capcom's games as well. Even with, or maybe because of, all of the borrowed elements, it ends up feeling pretty refreshing and new. Sleepy Nayuki all the way.

I really can't praise IaMP enough. The original reason I got into it is because I'm a huge fan of the Touhou vertical shooter series, and this is a fighting game spin-off of that. As you can imagine, it is heavily projectile/zoning-oriented. It has a fairly limited cast of 11 characters, but it is superbly balanced and utterly unlike any other fighting game you've ever played. They still have tournaments in Japan with this; the level to which they've taken it is damn superb. Not to be confused with its sequel, Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, which had potential but ended up rather sucking. There's an excellent community-run wiki that has all sorts of good information. There's even an English fan translation patch. I main Patchouli here, though I sometimes go with Reimu for the hell of it.

In general, I tend to play either zoning characters or grapplers.

Some friends of mine have started playing bad fighting games too, just for the hell of it. Urban Reign is soooo terrible, I swear every other character has an easy infinite. 2v2 actually ends up being pretty fun, since if you get caught in an infinite your partner (hopefully) can get you out. Def Jam lets you play as Flava Flav, enough said. Also, THE BOUNCER.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Wretched Fellow

No items, Final Destination?
Old 10-30-2008, 03:20 PM
First Crusade! Judge!

You have forced my hand.

I do play Brawl from time to time, but not as much recently since I don't actually own the game and I commute to school this semester. Mostly Olimar.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
No items, Final Destination?
Ugh.

I used to be pretty into fighting games, but my interest sort of started to fade when I couldn't find anything as good as the first Soul Calibur or Marvel vs Capcom 2. I do play my share of Brawl, but I hesitate to call that a fighting game. Have I been missing anything incredibly awesome?
Old 10-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Wretched Fellow

No, not to my knowledge. He (she?) was just getting super technical and talking about playing bad fighting games to exploit their infinite loop combos, so I figured it was the appropriate thing to say at the moment.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:41 PM
First Crusade! Judge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSyndrome View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where are you playing AH2 at?
There's a machine in Philadelphia on Penn's campus. I actually started with the first one when Atlus brought it over and a friend got me hooked on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
No, not to my knowledge. He (she?) was just getting super technical and talking about playing bad fighting games to exploit their infinite loop combos, so I figured it was the appropriate thing to say at the moment.
He, and I'm not even kidding when I say it's hard to avoid finding new infinites with a single move in that game

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
I'm disappointed to hear that SWR isn't very good though, because it has my two favorite characters from PoFV. Ahhh well.
Yea, Tasofro basically turned IaMP into a party game with SWR. Some people draw a parallel with Melee to Brawl, but I'm a little hesitant since I think Brawl can still be played with a good deal of competition.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:46 PM

A couple of games I've been trying to get into include Akatsuki Blitzkampf and Karnov's Revenge. If you haven't heard of the former, it's kind of like a cross between Garou: MotW and Third Strike in terms of gameplay (and stylistically it's the opposite of the moe-style fighters Japan's been pushing lately). Karnov's Revenge is a broken, poorly put together game, but dammit sometimes I have more fun playing it than Super Turbo. The only problem with trying to play more obscure fighters is the lack of competition.

I also tried to learn Big Bang Beat once, but I kind of fell out of it. By the time I regained interest in it, they'd apparently patched the game until it was unfun.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Just bear with me

Karnov's Revenge? Don't you mean Fighter's History Dynamite? Either way, I've logged serious time on that game, and it really is a guilty pleasure. I'm not sure what it is about Fighter's History that amuses me so much in spite of its shameless aping of Street Fighter II. I guess it's because it almost feels like a parody of the game, thanks to the ridiculous characters and their amazingly wimpy moves. It's like a fighting game where every character is Dan Hibiki.

Have you ever one-coined the game before? At the end, you get to fight a giant ox. I suppose it was included as a tip of the hat to Karate Champ, although that game was technically designed by American Technos (yes, the Double Dragon and River City Ransom people).
Old 10-30-2008, 04:33 PM
A tasty beverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingmar Bergman View Post
Ugh.

I used to be pretty into fighting games, but my interest sort of started to fade when I couldn't find anything as good as the first Soul Calibur or Marvel vs Capcom 2. I do play my share of Brawl, but I hesitate to call that a fighting game. Have I been missing anything incredibly awesome?
Ohh...that was most of my favorites games minus Guilty Gear.
Lately, the only fighter I play is Brawl, but I was playing some Smash 64 and Guilty Gear the other week.

(And despite what you say, Smash is one of my favorite fighting games ever)
Old 10-30-2008, 03:24 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnChocolate View Post
Also, THE BOUNCER.
The Bouncer isn't a fighting game. It's a game, and you fight...but it's not a fighting game.

Also, Soul Calibur is pretty cool. That's the only fighting game series I haven't given up on.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanatos feeding time

If you don't mind me asking, where are you playing AH2 at?
Old 10-30-2008, 03:39 PM
forbidden noise

I don't play fighting games (aside from Brawl) because I have nobody to play with. My brother and I did bouts of Soul Calibur II years ago since we owned it but eventually we just got too pissed off about it since every match came down to whether I picked Xianghua or not (I always won when I did, and never when I didn't).

I try to pick up fighters from time to time, but since I never play vs. I'm a lot more interested in the aesthetics and characters than mechanics or anything. I haven't actually played IaMP though even though it fits right in to this (considering I found the Valkyrie Fights to be amusing). I like Darkstalkers a lot though.

I'm disappointed to hear that SWR isn't very good though, because it has my two favorite characters from PoFV. Ahhh well.

Am I the only one who thinks Diddy Kong is really fun in Brawl? I was sure I was going to hate him, but after I gave all of the characters a chance, he's one of my favorites, along with Jigglypuff and Peach.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Little Waves

What.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:10 PM
These Stars Are Monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
I think the only way they can make a followup to a video evoking The Karate Kid is to either throw in Kung Fu Fighting or Eye of the Tiger. Either way, I am down. 80s cheese has its appeal, and the game looks pretty slick.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:20 PM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azar View Post
I think the only way they can make a followup to a video evoking The Karate Kid is to either throw in Kung Fu Fighting or Eye of the Tiger. Either way, I am down. 80s cheese has its appeal, and the game looks pretty slick.
How 'bout this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEKhLe0MY0

Parish used to regale me with stories about meeting El DeBarge's ex, who insisted that he outgrew his silly pop phase and moved on to more serious musical pursuits. I guess he convinced himself that he was Prince and not, you know, El DeBarge.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
How 'bout this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEKhLe0MY0

Parish used to regale me with stories about meeting El DeBarge's ex, who insisted that he outgrew his silly pop phase and moved on to more serious musical pursuits. I guess he convinced himself that he was Prince and not, you know, El DeBarge.
Now I gotta fuckin' watch The Last Dragon...shit...
Old 11-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
When I hear that song, I just think of Bender peeling hover potatoes.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
When I hear that song, I just think of Bender peeling hover potatoes.
I just think of this.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:06 AM
d.o_o.b

Why does Online Edition make you manually select your character's movelist from the pause menu?

Why does it not just give you the movelist of the character you're using, like every other fighting game?
Old 09-02-2011, 12:48 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Except SFIV.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Highway To HFIL

And MvC3.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:02 AM
d.o_o.b

Shows how many Capcom fighters I've been playing lately!

Guess I'd better go wash this egg off my face.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:27 PM
forbidden noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQRv3uPIwhQ
Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 PM

People who got Guilty Gear on the East Coast should add me because my connection is fast and I'm super free
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Snapping Nerd Necks

Quote:
Originally Posted by abominable k View Post
people who got guilty gear on the east coast should add me because my connection is fast and i'm super free
IT'S GUNNA BE LIKE OLD TIMES, BOY

Though I gotta assume you're at least BETTER than you were back in #R. :P
Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Guilty Gear is out? How's the netcode?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 AM

Not too great, but better than online #Reload was. I've had some great matches, as well as some terrible ones; it's a bit of a crapshoot even with the connection filter on.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 AM
McBear

Strange. Post-patch P4A has really good netcode.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Crazy Old Bird

"Not too great" is enough to scare me away. I want to get into Guilty Gear but online is really the only way for me to do it. Maybe next year if I'm living in a city or something
Old 08-28-2013, 03:37 AM
Indelible Inkling

Mike Ross is the key.

Tags
#yolo , ark system works , at ease losah , capcom , capcom killed my family , cheep cheep is cheap , coffee hates casuals , dizzy stay out , fighting games , fuck conveyance , i'd like some pancakes , im getting motivated , no gurls allowed , projectiles are cheap , respect my footsies , scrubbing bubbles , shoutouts to shoutouts , shoutouts to tags , teleporting is cheap , throwing is cheap , tires don't exits , what about mega man? , with the greatest of ease , yolo